Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Star Man posted:

It's to appeal to thirty-somethings.

It appears to be working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wait a sec.

So is that supposed to be the Jigglypuff? Remember, that mic/marker was specific to one particular individual.

Does this movie take place in the same universe as the Anime?!

Or is it just a reference because recognizable character trait.

I thought all Jigglies do this.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

its the same marker/mic with the green cap

it is The Jigglypuff

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Jigglypuff is a planeswalker and can travel between pokeverses at will. Obviously.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

The biggest question is WHAT DO PEOPLE EAT?

Are we going to see like Oddish salad? Miltank burger? Chansey eggs? :gonk::gonk:

we see fish hanging in one of the marketplace stalls.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

but in general this movie is taking most of it's influence from the anime, alongside the actual Detective Pikachu game. The way moves are animated like Greninja's use of what I presume is Cut is clearly taken from how the anime would have him summon a laser blade, only made of water here. The poster has references to the Summer Academy from Diamond and Pearl, as well as Pokemon Base teams. The argument that it's in the same universe as the anime has some merit to it.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wait a sec.

So is that supposed to be the Jigglypuff? Remember, that mic/marker was specific to one particular individual.

Does this movie take place in the same universe as the Anime?!

Or is it just a reference because recognizable character trait.

In the show, the trait of Ditto having its own face when transformed was a specific default of one individual. As time went on, this became a feature of the species in many places aside from the main games.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

I swear if they do that "partner takes the bullet" cliche and Pikachu dies (but then it turns out to be a fake out) 28 year old me will bawl my eyes out in the theatre without a single care.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

precision posted:

Bill Murray for Meowth

Not Lorenzo Music?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fancy Hat! posted:

I'm still intruiged as to why they coded in an ability? Maybe a post-game unlock? That'd be cool.

It's a real Pokemon game, they just dummied out abilities and held items. All the usual Pokemon data is there.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

lezard_valeth posted:

I swear if they do that "partner takes the bullet" cliche and Pikachu dies (but then it turns out to be a fake out) 28 year old me will bawl my eyes out in the theatre without a single care.

Pikachu will take a bullet for what's-his-name because humans can die but pokemon can only faint.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the actors should be replaced with horrifically detailed anime character models

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ruggington posted:

Use that dodgeball-skin texture on all of them

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ruggington posted:

Introducing Ernest Cline's READY PLAYER TWO

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Mizuti posted:

One thing that's always bugged me about Pokémon is texture. They look great as cartoons, but I have no idea what texture many of them would have if translated into a more realistic/detailed style.

Maybe it's best to leave that a mystery.

This is my gripe with it. They use realistic and appropriate textures but just wrapped them around existing Pokémon designs. So you get a 2 foot yellow duck with glossy saucer eyes protruding from a feathered face. It looks freakish.

Ideally I'd like to have seen realistic redesigns of the mons, so they'd look like actual creatures that would exist in the world. But I know that would have required extraordinary work and TPC isn't out to please me in particular

Edit: I really like the way this guy does "realistic" Pokémon designs:

https://www.deviantart.com/casteelart/gallery/29815058/Pokemon-Field-Guide

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 13, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ruggington posted:

that's battle angel alita op

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I love it, and I'm gonna watch it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Star Man posted:

It's to appeal to thirty-somethings.

well its not doing a very good job :colbert:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Xander B Coolridge posted:

This is my gripe with it. They use realistic and appropriate textures but just wrapped them around existing Pokémon designs. So you get a 2 foot yellow duck with glossy saucer eyes protruding from a feathered face. It looks freakish.

Ideally I'd like to have seen realistic redesigns of the mons, so they'd look like actual creatures that would exist in the world. But I know that would have required extraordinary work and TPC isn't out to please me in particular

Then people would complain "That doesn't look like X at all".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hope these are a test run for new game models

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
E: Meltan and Melmetal are presumably going to be obtainable in the gen 8 games at some point. They'll get to use their abilities.

precision posted:

But boy am I getting sick of the series tradition of "easy as gently caress until you fight crazy annoying bosses that will sweep half your team unless you brought the exact right types to counter and resist them". Guzma has been the worst offender there. Especially since I'm stubborn and hate reloading to pick up a different team so I just limped through letting half my dudes die and using Max Revives until one of my Eevees gets in a critical/dodge and I barely make it

Game is good as hell

If you let yourself lose a battle, you'll get sent back to a pokécenter and you can limp back to whoever beat you and fight them again without having to go through the cutscene. At least for all the fights I've lost, it's possible some totem pokémon make you sit through it again.

I always end up with horribly unbalanced teams, but I have yet to switch them out to deal with a specific fight. You can get through anything with enough healing items, though lately I've made a habit of having something that can poison and a bulky staller on my team.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 13, 2018

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Have you considered changing up your pokemon's moves, rather than the pokemon themselves? For example, you could teach your Dugtrio Aerial Ace if you're having trouble with fighting types.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Surfing Psychic Raichu :stare:

Well he's getting a permanent spot on the team, sorry Big Togedemaru

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ohhh the bandana around Greninja is it's tongue.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

precision posted:

Surfing Psychic Raichu :stare:

Well he's getting a permanent spot on the team, sorry Big Togedemaru

Good choice imo.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Dehry posted:

Ash Cap Pikachu is back in Ultra Sun/Moon

Hoenn Cap: LETSGOPIKACHU06
Sinnoh Cap: LETSGOPIKACHU09
Unova Cap: 13LETSGOPIKACHU
Kalos Cap: LETS17GOPIKACHU
Alola Cap: LETSGO19PIKACHU

Works in pretty much every region.

Hope they eventually add Detective Cap Pikachu with Ryan Reynolds voice clips

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Hope they eventually add Detective Cap Pikachu with Ryan Reynolds voice clips

I hope the next main game has them using actual voices at all instead of those horrific digital screams

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I hope the next main game has them using actual voices at all instead of those horrific digital screams

But the beauty of nature can only be represented by the screeches of a glitching Gameboy stereo.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

lezard_valeth posted:

The biggest question is WHAT DO PEOPLE EAT?

Are we going to see like Oddish salad? Miltank burger? Chansey eggs? :gonk::gonk:

Search your heart. You already know the answer.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dehry posted:

It's a real Pokemon game, they just dummied out abilities and held items. All the usual Pokemon data is there.

Oh is that all? I thought I heard something about the stats and stat growth being weird too.

How do EVs work? I guess capturing is the same as battle huh. If there are plentiful pokeballs that'll be easy I suppose.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
From what I've heard, catching wild pokemon will be the primary source of experience outside the limited trainer battles, and you'll turn pokemon in for the candies Go!-style to increase stats (stand-in for EV's I guess)

It does mean Pokeballs better be a drat well more plentiful than in base games. Cause there are a lot of people out there who will be looking to do a lot of grinding for whatever reason.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You get Pokeballs in addition to money and experience, so...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://twitter.com/tristanacooper/status/1062037779893403649?s=21

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The level curve has also improved, so while the Elite Four is weaker, the rest of the region got stronger, so it's a much smoother curve. Koga and Sabrina have the same levels, so you can fight whichever first and Erika's stronger also.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Silegna posted:

For Zeroarora:
My uncle told me that the Switch Games would have VR, paired with a new type of Virtualboy addon for the Switch.

Ding ding ding another winner!
You don't have PMs. Are you on the discord?

E: ONE ZERAORA AND TEN RESHIRAM/ZEKROM CODES REMAIN

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So you can turn the boxes full of rats you catch to grind into candies? What do they do? I don't play Go on my lovely iphone 4 so I assume these aren't rare candies but something from that?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

sexpig by night posted:

So you can turn the boxes full of rats you catch to grind into candies? What do they do? I don't play Go on my lovely iphone 4 so I assume these aren't rare candies but something from that?

From what I understand, the candies in Let's Go! will be the stand-in for getting EV's, since you don't actually battle the wild pokemon, but just catch them Pokemon Go! style.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you can feed a max 200 candies of each stat to a Pokemon. There's a lot of math involved but it's going to provide a pretty big boost. Just think of them as Vitamins or Wings.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Edit: I really like the way this guy does "realistic" Pokémon designs:

https://www.deviantart.com/casteelart/gallery/29815058/Pokemon-Field-Guide

His colors could use some work but these are all top notch designs :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dienes posted:

Search your heart. You already know the answer.

Slowpoke tails grow back though.