Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
The Psyduck in that trailer looks like some kind of horrible nightmare beast.
That's exactly how I've always imagined him. That's why he's my favorite.

I really like the look of these Pokemon, they're cute, and a bit horrifying. It's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Weird question but do we know if the Pokémon game is going to have a mode that might be more fun for the youngsters? It comes out the day I’m hosting like 7 five year olds for a gaming play date and I think they’d all love throwing poke balls at stuff, but don’t really read, or have patience...

Related: I can find lots of middling reviews for Bomberman but I know it’s gotten a lot of post-launch polish. Is it worth it for this play date? Everyone can play together. I can get it used for 30.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pokemon isn't a party game at all. It's colorful and for kids but I really doubt it would be good in that kinda atmosphere.

Let em go ham on Mario Kart.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Inzombiac posted:

Pokemon isn't a party game at all. It's colorful and for kids but I really doubt it would be good in that kinda atmosphere.

Let em go ham on Mario Kart.

Oh no doubt. I just wondered if there was a mini game/companion game in it if just throwing balls or something.

Mario Kart is good and I’ll do that too but it means like 3 of them gotta wait. :)

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm thinking of picking up a switch but still on the fence. Octopath looks good. Been wanting to play BOTW too.

Is Xenoblade C 2 any good? I really liked the original Xenoblade on wii or whatever it was back in the day. I'm mostly an RPG fan but also interested in stuff like Smash because I liked the original one as well. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth 300 bucks. I'm not really a person "on the go" to take full advantage of the portability because I just mostly work and come home, but someone earlier mentioned it was easier to play games on it because you can just pick the drat thing up and play and that struck a chord with me. I can hardly be assed to load up games on my ps4 and stuff anymore.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
My wife wants a Switch for Xmas and it’s probably the most accessible entry point for games for my five year old. For us, I’m thinking Zelda and Mario Kart. My five year old seemed to like Kirby on the SNES classic when he did some button mashing. Is the Switch Kirby game good?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In BOTW, I’ve just arrived at the Gerudo accessories shop. Once I’ve bought all the accessories, is there anything else to use the gems for or can I go ahead and sell them?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

My wife wants a Switch for Xmas and it’s probably the most accessible entry point for games for my five year old. For us, I’m thinking Zelda and Mario Kart. My five year old seemed to like Kirby on the SNES classic when he did some button mashing. Is the Switch Kirby game good?

switch kirby is v. good and has 4-player co-op if you and the wife wanna join in

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is Xenoblade C 2 any good? I really liked the original Xenoblade on wii or whatever it was back in the day.

If you liked xc1 even a little, get xc2. And the expansion pass, which is a pile of extra quests, guaranteed weapon-characters, and coupled with another full 10-20 hour prequel with a tighter story and refined combat.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ariong posted:

In BOTW, I’ve just arrived at the Gerudo accessories shop. Once I’ve bought all the accessories, is there anything else to use the gems for or can I go ahead and sell them?

There’s a bunch of stuff to do with gems

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That’s exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The pro is a very good controller and it has some sort of magic battery technology that I wish the PS4 controllers shared

PS4 controller battery has the lifespan of a mayfly

nintendo pro controller may as be called "the methuselah"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

alf_pogs posted:

PS4 controller battery has the lifespan of a mayfly

nintendo pro controller may as be called "the methuselah"

The Wii U pro was even better. That thing literally lasted like 100 hours per change.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Brother Entropy posted:

switch kirby is v. good and has 4-player co-op if you and the wife wanna join in

Fuckin sold. Thanks!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
As someone who has never played Pokemon and never really played any JRPGs the last few pages have been... weird. I'm in my late 30s and Pokemons was something my annoying little cousins were obsessed with in the 90s.

I'm happy you're all having fun though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

psylent posted:

As someone who has never played Pokemon and never really played any JRPGs the last few pages have been... weird. I'm in my late 30s and Pokemons was something my annoying little cousins were obsessed with in the 90s.

Alright gramps ;)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm also thrilled that Starlink has splitscreen Co-op. Between that, the option to skip the toys-to-games aspect entirely by buying digital, having Fox McCloud in the Switch version and just generally being fun to play, I'm very happy with this game.

Plus, the whole outpost-building and Legion Expansion aspects give it an almost RTS-vibe at times. Hell, one of the outposts you can set up sends little roaming death squads that will actively hunt down Legion stuff and kick its rear end. Haven't seen them take down a Prime without me, but they rip Extractors apart without any need for my help.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

psylent posted:

I’m 41 and never played Pokémon. Not a real JRPG guy either, but good games is good games. I’m down to give it a shot. (Doesn’t hurt that I have a youngster.)

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Inzombiac posted:

Hey folks?

Moonlighter is hella good.
The game loop is a little like Monster Hunter.

You go into the randomized dungeons (like Isaac), kill stuff, take their loot and see how far you can get before you run out of bag space or health.

You then sell that stuff in your shop to fuel upgrades and the town as a whole to make your adventuring easier and more profitable.

I haven't even finished the first dungeon and I'm 100% hooked.

Yes I beat the first dungeon on normal so far. I like that it's kinda like a rogue like but that you can actually progress if you die. I bet the backstory is like time travel or something Prestige type thing

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

Alright gramps ;)
Everything I know about Pokemon is from memes and Herman Cain. :cool:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Diablo III’s campaign is actually really good at making the world feel cohesive and interconnected because it will take you through all of it. It’s a great way to ensure you see most of the game’s art assets.

The plot itself is a bad in an awful Saturday morning cartoon kind of way at best.

The best way to experience the campaign is to play through it once, but skipping every bit of dialogue the game will let you.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Feenix posted:

Related: I can find lots of middling reviews for Bomberman but I know it’s gotten a lot of post-launch polish. Is it worth it for this play date? Everyone can play together. I can get it used for 30.

Bomberman was one of my favorite games on the SNES so I picked up this one regrettably quick. It's fine but nothing outstanding and it has gotten better since launch but I really don't recommend it for such young kids.

I've tried playing it with adults unused to video games and it takes them at least three matches before they realize they should avoid their own blasts. I feel younger kids are just gonna blow themselves up constantly and get frustrated and the "spectator" mode isn't really as fun (tossing in bombs from the side). I'm pretty sure you only have elimination modes but unless they add a mode where you can't die but gain points for blowing people up, like a Smash time match, I wouldn't bother.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Dark Souls first run update:

So I've been a little busier than normal and I've had to git gud in the sewers because I kept getting cursed, so I haven't had time or reason to give any real updates for a while. Naturally having to remove curse probably six times would make the game a little frustrating. Once I got over that and I finally realized that the gaping dragon wasn't as hard as I was making it out to be, I was back to business. Now, I'm in blighttown, at the bottom of the lake and I think this place is really cool. I've spent so much time in the sewers that I had to take a little break and wander back up to the other parts of the map I've been to, and try and pick up some old stuff now that I'm a little better at the game and I upgraded my battle axe a few more levels because I just like using it. Undead burg and the like feel almost innocent compared to the dread that blighttown makes you feel. You finally reach the bottom of a sewer where your reward is a big, ominous pit leading to god knows where. It's an intimidating and miserable and everything feels very diseased. Between the really confusing maps, the precarious steps, and the increasing morbidity of the level's enemies, it's really effective at making you feel unwelcome. It was such a relief to get to that second bonfire, the whole place makes me feel sick, and like I'm a million miles from home. Really cool level.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 13, 2018

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Mister Facetious posted:

So, is it now canon that no pokemon wears clothes, but that's strictly their body structure/skin/horns/etc.?

Goons, help- I'm having a crisis now that I'm thinking through the ethical ramifications of exploiting bipedal humanoids for combat sport. :psyduck:

Only now? It's always been very hosed up that we subjugate sentient beings, with human-level intelligence, like Allakhazam.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Dark Souls first run update:

So I've been a little busier than normal and I've had to git gud in the sewers because I kept getting cursed, so I haven't had time or reason to give any real updates for a while. Naturally having to remove curse probably six times would make the game a little frustrating. Once I got over that and I finally realized that the gaping dragon wasn't as hard as I was making it out to be, I was back to business. Now, I'm in blighttown, at the bottom of the lake and I think this place is really cool. I've spent so much time in the sewers that I had to take a little break and wander back up to the other parts of the map I've been to, and try and pick up some old stuff now that I'm a little better at the game and I upgraded my battle axe a few more levels because I just like using it. Undead burg and the like feel almost innocent compared to the dread that blighttown makes you feel. You finally reach the bottom of a sewer where your reward is a big, ominous pit leading to god knows where. It's an intimidating and miserable and everything feels very diseased. Between the really confusing maps, the precarious steps, and the increasing morbidity of the level's enemies, it's really effective at making you feel unwelcome. It was such a relief to get to that second bonfire, the whole place makes me feel sick, and like I'm a million miles from home. Really cool level.

these posts make me grin like a maniac. i loved the depths and blighttown and then the map keeps going further and further down. please keep posting updates!

i just killed the basin hydra - and three of the least friendly cats in the world. i think i've done a good job of getting every covenant in the first runthrough so far and am on track for the darkwraiths. then its time to really get busy with force and wrath of the gods

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay, for a moment I thought some of the Vigilantes from an Armory in Starlink had something very cheesy. I thought they had setup some turrets from their armory next to an extractor, and just thought "You cheeky dicks!"

Then I realized it was just Condensers from a Refinery, because the Extractors and Condensers both get setup on Electrum deposits.

EDIT: Okay, they have officially done the cheesy thing. They just set up their turrets surrounding an Imp Hive instead of an Extractor. Still hilarious, so far I'd only seen the turrets get employed in defensive positions.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 13, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does Blighttown run like poo poo still?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I didn’t have any slowdown at all and I mostly play in handheld.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
A bit late for Halloween, but somehow popular Night Trap rip-off series Five Nights at Freddy's is coming Switch-side at some point in the future.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Heath posted:

Several people have said no.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

My five year old seemed to like Kirby on the SNES classic when he did some button mashing. Is the Switch Kirby game good?

I have a 4yr old (5 soon) whos played all the kirby games on wiiu virtual console and his 2ds for a year and theyve been perfect for him. Theyre easy but fun and very colorful. He loved the new switch kirby. It also has easy drop in/out multiplayer

I cant recommend kirby games enough for a young kid

Kly fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 13, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Licarn posted:

Only now? It's always been very hosed up that we subjugate sentient beings, with human-level intelligence, like Allakhazam.

dude you couldn't fuckin' "subjugate" Alakazam if he didn't want you to, he could inception you, put you out like a light, or just crush your body into a three-inch cube with no problem

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Heath posted:

it seemed fine to me. i had some framerate drops when i led a boulder giant into two shitspiders and mosquitos near the water wheel but even then it was heaps smoother than the OG version.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

John Lee posted:

dude you couldn't fuckin' "subjugate" Alakazam if he didn't want you to, he could inception you, put you out like a light, or just crush your body into a three-inch cube with no problem

but what if he tried to fight goku?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

a7m2 posted:

but what if he tried to fight goku?

Fighting types are weak against psychic types.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

Weird question but do we know if the Pokémon game is going to have a mode that might be more fun for the youngsters? It comes out the day I’m hosting like 7 five year olds for a gaming play date and I think they’d all love throwing poke balls at stuff, but don’t really read, or have patience...

I agree with the other guy that Bomberman might not go over well. Towerfall would be good but it’s only 6. Sausage Sports can do 8 but no clue how that turned out.

If they can stand to take turns I remember 1 2 Switch actually going over well with kids. There’s a sort of team mode where you go through trying to get to the end of a board, mini game winners roll the die.

Or try searching for "up to 8 players" on Nintendo's site. But it includes online for that too and other systems so make sure stuff is couch co-op and for Switch. Found this racing/party looking game that way, looks like it has potential for your situation:
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/chiki-chiki-boxy-racers-switch

Edit: not that many with 8 local it seems. Here’s another, maybe supposed to be like Gang Beasts?
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/a-gummys-life-switch

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 13, 2018

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Libluini posted:

There is nothing on the EU shop though, wouldn't it be weird to not put the game at least into the "soon out"-category of the shop? I'm skeptical if the 15th is true, looks more like US-only from my end. :shrug:
The Coming Soon section doesn't even include half the games which will be coming out in a given week.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BlazetheInferno posted:

Fighting types are weak against psychic types.

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Goku is technically kind of psychic though. In DBZ they're all basically the same thing, called Ki or whatever, whether you're a martial arts master or a magician or a literal god or all of the above just depends on how you use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone has Ki, it isn’t psychic powers