Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If There are north korean scientists working on nuke projects in other countries how would a deal be enforced to stop them from bringing that research back to the current program? Information is the key here not the physical tests. Nk threatening to once again begin nuclear research at home is a bullshit red herring that the american public LOVE to eat up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

LeoMarr posted:

If There are north korean scientists working on nuke projects in other countries how would a deal be enforced to stop them from bringing that research back to the current program? Information is the key here not the physical tests. Nk threatening to once again begin nuclear research at home is a bullshit red herring that the american public LOVE to eat up.

Do you never get tired of making poo poo up? There is no incentive for other states to train NK researchers in weaponization, and they already know how to make the warheads they have.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
There's definitely been foreign assistance to NKs nuke and missile program throughout the years, both voluntary and involuntary. The Pakistani nuclear scientist A Q Khan is believed to have offered nuclear weapons assistance to North Korea. And recently some North Korean agents were arrested in Ukraine for stealing rocket plans.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

There's definitely been foreign assistance to NKs nuke and missile program throughout the years, both voluntary and involuntary. The Pakistani nuclear scientist A Q Khan is believed to have offered nuclear weapons assistance to North Korea. And recently some North Korean agents were arrested in Ukraine for stealing rocket plans.

Will you agree there's some difference between Pakistan assisting a still-influential NK around the year 2000, and NK Intelligence being forced to steal plans from unaligned countries?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tias posted:

Do you never get tired of making poo poo up? There is no incentive for other states to train NK researchers in weaponization, and they already know how to make the warheads they have.

Lmfao dude its the reverse. NK researchers are assisting other countries illegal nuclear programs. They bring their continued research back to Nk to improve upon the homefronts nuclear capabilities. Nk has nukes yes but this does not mean they are not constantly making incrimental improvements to current nuclear tech.

Making poo poo up lol get a grip

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/behind-north-koreas-nuclear-advance-scientists-who-bring-technology-home-1504711605

Dude in 2012 NK literally displayed a chinese made
KN-08 icbm in a parade.

Tias
May 25, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

Lmfao dude its the reverse. NK researchers are assisting other countries illegal nuclear programs. They bring their continued research back to Nk to improve upon the homefronts nuclear capabilities. Nk has nukes yes but this does not mean they are not constantly making incrimental improvements to current nuclear tech.

Making poo poo up lol get a grip

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/behind-north-koreas-nuclear-advance-scientists-who-bring-technology-home-1504711605

Dude in 2012 NK literally displayed a chinese made
KN-08 icbm in a parade.

You have never not made a post itt that wasn't some chicken little bullshit that came to you in your last weed haze, so forgive me if I'm sceptical.

But I'll bite. What countries do NK assist with nuclear weapons programs? Do you even know what constitutes an illegal weapons program, and for what reason?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tias posted:

You have never not made a post itt that wasn't some chicken little bullshit that came to you in your last weed haze, so forgive me if I'm sceptical.

But I'll bite. What countries do NK assist with nuclear weapons programs? Do you even know what constitutes an illegal weapons program, and for what reason?

In 2001, the Mossad, Israel's external intelligence service, was profiling newly inducted Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Visits by North Korean dignitaries, which focused on advanced arms deliveries, were noticed. Aman, Israel's military intelligence department, suggested nuclear arms were being discussed, but the Mossad dismissed this theory. In spring 2004, U.S. intelligence reported multiple communications between Syria and North Korea, and traced the calls to a desert location called al-Kibar. Unit 8200, Israel's signals intelligence and codebreaking unit, added the location to its watch list.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Outside_the_Box

In 2004, Pakistan’s most famous nuclear scientist, Abdul Qadeer Khan, admitted to have transferred nuclear technology to North Korea and other nations, a confession that led to his detainment for five years. These unnerving revelations were reinforced yet again earlier this month by another Pakistani nuclear scientist, Pervez Hoodbhoy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/india/1080927/did-pakistan-help-north-korea-develop-nuclear-weapons-india-us-japan-want-to-know/amp/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea%96Pakistan_relations

Chicken little poo poo

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

In more positive news, President Moon visited Pyongyang for peace talks today.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/17/asia/north-korea-south-korea-summit-intl/index.html

Tias
May 25, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

In 2001, the Mossad, Israel's external intelligence service, was profiling newly inducted Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Visits by North Korean dignitaries, which focused on advanced arms deliveries, were noticed. Aman, Israel's military intelligence department, suggested nuclear arms were being discussed, but the Mossad dismissed this theory. In spring 2004, U.S. intelligence reported multiple communications between Syria and North Korea, and traced the calls to a desert location called al-Kibar. Unit 8200, Israel's signals intelligence and codebreaking unit, added the location to its watch list.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Outside_the_Box

In 2004, Pakistan’s most famous nuclear scientist, Abdul Qadeer Khan, admitted to have transferred nuclear technology to North Korea and other nations, a confession that led to his detainment for five years. These unnerving revelations were reinforced yet again earlier this month by another Pakistani nuclear scientist, Pervez Hoodbhoy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/india/1080927/did-pakistan-help-north-korea-develop-nuclear-weapons-india-us-japan-want-to-know/amp/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea%96Pakistan_relations

Chicken little poo poo

Okay, so we agree they haven't actually done so prior to or following the latest round of negotiations? Thank you!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
North and South Korea begin removing mines along DMZ

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

An unambiguously good thing happening in Korea is a nice change of pace. Long-term minefields are a loving nightmare. Here's hoping everyone actually remembers where their mines are.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Good, mines are awful. I'm impressed with Moon's speed regarding demilitarization / relations.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Rent-A-Cop posted:

An unambiguously good thing happening in Korea is a nice change of pace. Long-term minefields are a loving nightmare. Here's hoping everyone actually remembers where their mines are.

Agreed. However, considering that long-term mines have a habit of moving...Let's also hope the ground hasn't shifted too much.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Spacewolf posted:

Agreed. However, considering that long-term mines have a habit of moving...Let's also hope the ground hasn't shifted too much.
Yeah. I don't realistically expect the DPRK has a clue where or how many mines are on their side of the DMZ. Hopefully the US/ROK still have their fields somewhat accurately mapped.

Best case scenario for demining is probably a decade and ten figures. And it's going to seriously disrupt the local environment.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Best case scenario for demining is probably a decade and ten figures.

Double that, easily. We are talking about 2 million mines here, with somewhat poor mapping and a lot of landslides, flooding etc in the area over decades. Take this example from 2015 (it is now believed that this was probably a drift caused accident, not deliberate mining of the passage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHgmnv0JA7k

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wait till nk mine sweepers get blown the gently caress up and they cease doing this

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1048946652621541377

Who wore it better?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kim brought his bitches in to distract the americans what the gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

LeoMarr posted:

Kim brought his bitches in

What is your loving problem?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I recognize and understand why Lewis gets a lot of poo poo for promoting his book and generally coming from a super American point of view that often marginalizes South Korean feelings.

But still, he’s way better than glib hawk assholes, and I feel he’s a net good in the context of the American narrative regarding Korea. I wish we got more Korean news translated to English without requiring google rabbit holes.

https://twitter.com/armscontrolwonk/status/1049052775437328384?s=21

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mlmp08 posted:

What is your loving problem?

Uh my problem is that a foreign dictator literally brought good looking women in to a very high level meeting solely for subterfuge? What does Pompeos wife think when he cant keep his eyes off either of them and its documented? Kind of eye opening isnt it?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

LeoMarr posted:

Uh my problem is that a foreign dictator literally brought good looking women in to a very high level meeting solely for subterfuge? What does Pompeos wife think when he cant keep his eyes off either of them and its documented? Kind of eye opening isnt it?

Lol wtf. One of those "bitches" is Kim's sister, who is about the closest thing to a vice president in North Korea. She's there for every official event including the Olympics and the Singapore summit. The other lady I'm pretty sure is Kim's translator. You know, something you might need when conversing with people that speak a different language. They weren't brought in to be eye candy. Fuckin dope.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1049790384837193729?s=19

Huh.

I don't think there's a lot of Catholics in North Korea.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OhFunny posted:

I don't think there's a lot of Catholics in North Korea.

North Korea has a thing where they adopted all the catholic churches and cut them off to suppress them but then that kinda meant they stayed maintained and are still open and still nominally operate as catholic churches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changchung_Cathedral

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

That’s like china invading and then releasing everyone from ADX Florence because it’s a brutal prison camp.

That would be both cool and very good

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
SEOUL (Reuters) - North and South Korea agreed on Monday to begin reconnecting rail and road links, another step in an improving relationship that has raised U.S. concern about the possible undermining of its bid to press the North to give up its nuclear program.

Typical US foreign policy concern

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
oh boy! they’ll finally be able to use that lil’ potemkin train station! and to think just a few months ago, i laughed about how overly optimistic it seemed to me. western media never covered how much the korean public wants reunification. to think that we were the biggest obstacle!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Peace doesn't let the US wave its Toad-shaped dick about.

Doing stuff like this is a far better way to achieve lasting peace than whatever latest nasty crap Bolton has scooped out of Trump's adult diaper this week.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Happy Dokdo Day, everyone. :toot:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/us/politics/north-korea-missile-bases.html

quote:

Headline: In North Korea, Missile Bases Suggest a Great Deception

The satellite images suggest that the North has been engaged in a great deception: It has offered to dismantle a major launching site — a step it began, then halted — while continuing to make improvements at more than a dozen others that would bolster launches of conventional and nuclear warheads.

It is stupid to call this DPRK "deception." Simply refusing to share your military plans, acquisitions, and operations when you have no treaty or agreement to do so is not deception.

If there is deception, it has been the erroneous claims by non-DPRK politicians that the DPRK agreed to disarm and/or denuclearize.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Happy belated Pepero Day, everyone!

TenementFunster posted:

oh boy! they’ll finally be able to use that lil’ potemkin train station! and to think just a few months ago, i laughed about how overly optimistic it seemed to me. western media never covered how much the korean public wants reunification. to think that we were the biggest obstacle!

It seems every Korean I talk to seems to view unification as just a burden that the South will have to pay for to get nearly nothing in return.

I do agree though that China and America are probably some of the biggest obstacles to reunification, but it's hard to imagine the North or South would ever willingly give up their governments without a very strong reason.

Now Dokdo... Now there's something the Koreans have endless passion for!

Is this thread solely about North Korea? Or is there any discussion about South Korea here as well (aside from in the context of more North Korea)?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shadow0 posted:

Happy belated Pepero Day, everyone!

It seems every Korean I talk to seems to view unification as just a burden that the South will have to pay for to get nearly nothing in return.

I do agree though that China and America are probably some of the biggest obstacles to reunification, but it's hard to imagine the North or South would ever willingly give up their governments without a very strong reason.

Now Dokdo... Now there's something the Koreans have endless passion for!

Is this thread solely about North Korea? Or is there any discussion about South Korea here as well (aside from in the context of more North Korea)?

It is for all of Korea.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I've mostly given up posting here because domestic South Korean politics is almost always dead on arrival here even if it is absolutely on topic. But hey, let's give it a go. Do the Korean people you talk to also blame the stalled economy on the minimum wage hike?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

...yeah I know. The minimum wage hike is an incredibly boring thing to get mad over but it's about the only thing conservatives talk about, which makes it a constant fixture in newspapers. They don't even want to repeal it, just slow down its implementation, which is already happening. I think they want to stimulate the economy with tax credits? Their proposals are so vague I'm never sure.

Speaking of newspapers I read about this in one today-

https://www.twitter.com/JoaquinCastrotx/status/1061986293981286407

It sounded way more aggressive translated in Korean. Might have had something to do with it being inside one article that was also next to another article pointing out that North Korea never agreed to stop doing these things and that the whole point of the talks is to negotiate them into stopping. Jumping in on the NYT story has quickly become a bad move. Even CNN is dunking on them for being blatantly disingenuous.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

I've mostly given up posting here because domestic South Korean politics is almost always dead on arrival here even if it is absolutely on topic. But hey, let's give it a go. Do the Korean people you talk to also blame the stalled economy on the minimum wage hike?

Unfortunately (or fortunately), people seem to be mostly apolitical unless it's about North Korea or Dokdo. Or at least they don't talk to me about it.

...mostly Dokdo.

I asked someone about it after reading your post, and she said "politics is dead", whatever that means. I think the younger generation just doesn't really care. Or maybe just those around me?
I guess it just means people have the luxury to not care about politics.

The only real politics I heard was when I briefly caught some rumblings about immigration reform or something on account of Asian (and maybe Russian?) immigrants in larger cities, but I don't remember the details much. Koreans are generally pretty anti-immigrant, which I find unfortunate.

And also that one time I was taken out to dinner by a co-worker, who, just as we finished eating, decided to get reaaaal up in my face, pointing at me and everything, and tell me Park and her government were "pure" (which he said like 20 times) and that the liberals were ruining the country, and a bunch of "arayo? arayo?" ("Do you understand? Do you understand?") for like 30 minutes. And I just sat there slowly eating the rest of my pie, hoping it would eventually end.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 14, 2018

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The most intriguing aspect of South Korea to me is the combination of the power of the chaebols combined with being one of the most high tech nations in the world. It really looks like the nascent arrival of a dystopian corporate state. The amount of ex-leaders of SK who have been prosecuted or removed by scandal involving corporate interests seems to show where all the real power lies. In that way it's rather frightening.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flayer posted:

The most intriguing aspect of South Korea to me is the combination of the power of the chaebols combined with being one of the most high tech nations in the world. It really looks like the nascent arrival of a dystopian corporate state. The amount of ex-leaders of SK who have been prosecuted or removed by scandal involving corporate interests seems to show where all the real power lies. In that way it's rather frightening.

It's crazy to think how much control Naver and Daum have over every Korean's information.

(Then again, Google and Facebook...)

Almost as crazy as Korea's religious devotion to Internet Explorer.

It's hilarious that these "high tech" countries like Korea and Japan are full of old people who have never touched a computer and continue to buy the latest in fax technology.
And yet my rice cooker can buy stocks.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Flayer posted:

The political landscape is pretty vicious so generally the previous administration immediately gets investigated for corruption by any new administration and they inevitably find a bunch of stuff and throw the president (and often a gaggle of other politicians) into prison for it. On the one hand, yeah, it's awful that every single president up to this point has had their hand in the cookie jar. On the other hand they actually get sent to prison for being corrupt (which is sadly rare worldwide), the corporate assholes involved also sometimes land in prison, and the dirty laundry involving the chaebols still makes it into the news regularly.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 15, 2018

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

mlmp08 posted:

I recognize and understand why Lewis gets a lot of poo poo for promoting his book and generally coming from a super American point of view that often marginalizes South Korean feelings.

But still, he’s way better than glib hawk assholes, and I feel he’s a net good in the context of the American narrative regarding Korea. I wish we got more Korean news translated to English without requiring google rabbit holes.

https://twitter.com/armscontrolwonk/status/1049052775437328384?s=21

It just seems lovely to use peoples fears about a potential catastrophic war in order to make some cash - it'd be different if he posted it on a website for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the random dioramas of Dokdo sprinkled throughout various metro stations and museums were one of my favorite parts of Korea. i made sure to always get a picture