Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Frog Act posted:

Yep, thats what it was. I was born in 1990 so I figured it wouldn't be something that old, but there you go.

i don’t know so much about macintosh’s side of things but on pc’s in the 1990’s midway would farm out all their old 1980’s arcade games as OS pack in bundles, i assume it was the same sort of thing

edit: even my memory of that is wrong, it was atari, not midway. asteroids, battlezone, tempest, and missile command were frequent contenders

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Golbez posted:

This is one I've been batting around for a while. Mid-90s, fully polygonal 3D game - I think it may have predated accelerator cards, because I don't remember it looking all smooth/blurry like a Voodoo would have done. It was ... not quite a driving game, but you were in some kind of vehicle, moving around a level that was kind of floating in space. I don't recall if there was any combat, I just remember that I played a demo of this.

Not too much to go on, unfortunately. I'll browse through releases of the day and see if anything leaps out at me.

A reach, but P.O.D.? There was a demo bundled with new computers that had a heinous looking software mode and the full release supported 3dfx I think.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Splicer posted:

I'm guessing not Commander Keen? No green pips in the loader but purple and black loader screen.

No, it definitely wasn't that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This was a game solved several years ago by someone else and suddenly it came to mind but I forgot!

PS1 game. Third person dungeon crawler. You play a character (I believe a woman) in a dungeon setting so gray walls and low poly monsters. I think it had fixed camera angles like a Resident Evil but it was definitely real time, not pre-rendered. It's not Deathtrap Dungeon, Nightmare Creatures, or Crusaders of Might and Magic but aesthetically it kind of resembles Deathtrap and Crusaders. What I remember of the graphics and lack of analog support it was early PS1 era so pre '97.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

al-azad posted:

This was a game solved several years ago by someone else and suddenly it came to mind but I forgot!

PS1 game. Third person dungeon crawler. You play a character (I believe a woman) in a dungeon setting so gray walls and low poly monsters. I think it had fixed camera angles like a Resident Evil but it was definitely real time, not pre-rendered. It's not Deathtrap Dungeon, Nightmare Creatures, or Crusaders of Might and Magic but aesthetically it kind of resembles Deathtrap and Crusaders. What I remember of the graphics and lack of analog support it was early PS1 era so pre '97.

Are there any gameplay elements you can remember

al-azad
May 28, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Are there any gameplay elements you can remember

None other than it's a hack and slash. It was before people figured out good 3D controls on the Playstation so grid-like movement sort of Tomb Raider-y, very stiff and deliberate attacks, just kind of an ugly forgettable fantasy themed game.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

al-azad posted:

None other than it's a hack and slash. It was before people figured out good 3D controls on the Playstation so grid-like movement sort of Tomb Raider-y, very stiff and deliberate attacks, just kind of an ugly forgettable fantasy themed game.

Diablo?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My first instinct is Deception but you didn't actually attack in that game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No it’s 100% a 3D game. I remember being surprised by the result years ago because it was strangely obscure in a bargain bin way. Real ugly early ps1 stuff, like OverBlood ugly.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Granstream Saga?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

It sounds a bit like King's Field but that was free-move and not grid constrained.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No, I believe I found it though: Excalibur 2555. After watching some gameplay I remember why I totally forgot this game and I hope I never remember it or ask about it again.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Vadun posted:

Diablo?

That would have been my guess also, PS1 Diablo was a blobby grey mess and played like poo poo, and then I learned that I couldn't even save without erasing everything on my (only) memory card and I was sad

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Some time ago... I honestly don't know, maybe ten years ago? I dicked around with a really simple first-person-grid-based-dungeon-crawler construction kit. You basically just drew lines on the grid, and from there you could edit what the texture was, you could edit what monsters appeared, etc. in an interface kind of similar to RPG Maker's. I only briefly played with it, but I always meant to go back to it. Now I can't find any hint of it. It's like such a thing never existed except for really old titles like Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures and Bard' Tale Construction Kit. This was an indie thing, I believe -- I think it was freeware, even. But I don't know. I used to pirate a lot of games ten years ago, so it's also just possible I had downloaded it in some torrent.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Was it Dungeoncraft by chance? Looks like this has been around a long time and was updated as recently as 2016.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've been trying to find this game for a while now. It was around 2004, playstation 2 era. You built ship from the hull up, eventually getting giant battleship hulls, and could place guns almost wherever you wanted. The gameplay was like War Thunder meets Earth Defense Force. It started out with WW2 style weapons before moving on to more modern and eventually goofy futuristic ones. It was that short mission style gameplay that Japan likes, again like EDF.

Ringing any bells?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I've been trying to find this game for a while now. It was around 2004, playstation 2 era. You built ship from the hull up, eventually getting giant battleship hulls, and could place guns almost wherever you wanted. The gameplay was like War Thunder meets Earth Defense Force. It started out with WW2 style weapons before moving on to more modern and eventually goofy futuristic ones. It was that short mission style gameplay that Japan likes, again like EDF.

Ringing any bells?

Naval Ops Warship Gunner

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Zaodai posted:

Naval Ops Warship Gunner

Holy poo poo yes!
drat that quick.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Or Warship Gunner 2, yeah. I recently replayed that one and it still holds up really well. The loop of do mission -> get new parts -> tweak your ship (or build a new one from scratch) -> do new mission is really solid. 100%ing is grindy and unbalancing once you get some of the super parts, but the first pass through the story, and then the first loop on Hard/Very Hard hold up really well.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Holy poo poo yes!
drat that quick.

I own it, and while my PS2 is in storage so I didn't have ready access to it, I knew enough about it be able to google the name I couldn't quite remember.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Or Warship Gunner 2, yeah. I recently replayed that one and it still holds up really well. The loop of do mission -> get new parts -> tweak your ship (or build a new one from scratch) -> do new mission is really solid. 100%ing is grindy and unbalancing once you get some of the super parts, but the first pass through the story, and then the first loop on Hard/Very Hard hold up really well.

The psp version does an ok job of balancing a lot of that but shields don't seem to work and a few of the bosses had their long range plinking guns cranked up to being near instagib without them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

Alright, here's one that's bugged me for a while. I visited a website when I was in Junior High (~2001) and slacking off in study hall that had a whole bunch of flash games that were basically abstractions of various sports (soccer, volleyball, basketball.. etc). These played from a top down perspective, but all the players were just blue and green circles that you moved around with the keyboard and most games involved throwing a ball around in one way or another. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Holy poo poo this just suddenly came to me while laying in bed; this is Slime Sports (Slime Soccer, Slime Volleyball, etc). I was surprised to see that not only does this game still exist in some playable form, but it had a terrible Steam release earlier this year!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo this just suddenly came to me while laying in bed; this is Slime Sports (Slime Soccer, Slime Volleyball, etc). I was surprised to see that not only does this game still exist in some playable form, but it had a terrible Steam release earlier this year!

loving Slime Volleyball. I remember the smug face a slime got when it was match point.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
This has bugged me for a long time it was a demo on either PC gamer or PC Zone in the 90s.

It was basically a top down, turn based, sports game in space, you could make you're team with humans, these big aliens, lizard aliens and small dudes.

They all had different stats and could move longer or shorter squares depending. You had to get the ball in different baskets around the arena.

Now this was NOT mutant football league or speedball. I believe it had some management options too.

I have looked everywhere I know if I had the name though it will be known as it was addictive as hell

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

VoLaTiLe posted:

This has bugged me for a long time it was a demo on either PC gamer or PC Zone in the 90s.

It was basically a top down, turn based, sports game in space, you could make you're team with humans, these big aliens, lizard aliens and small dudes.

They all had different stats and could move longer or shorter squares depending. You had to get the ball in different baskets around the arena.

Now this was NOT mutant football league or speedball. I believe it had some management options too.

I have looked everywhere I know if I had the name though it will be known as it was addictive as hell

Crush Deluxe

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Quote-Unquote posted:

Crush Deluxe

You sir are a legend!

I can't believe it I have looked for that game for years?!

How did you remember it?

Or was it more popular than I thought?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

VoLaTiLe posted:

You sir are a legend!

I can't believe it I have looked for that game for years?!

How did you remember it?

Or was it more popular than I thought?

I think I had the same pc gamer demo disc, but I'm sure I ended up with the full version at some point. Also I was trying to remember it myself a few weeks ago and stumbled across it.

edit: I definitely had the full version, because I remember hotseat multiplayer which apparently was only in the paid version and not the shareware.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 13, 2018

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
When I get a new PC in time for Cyberpunk I'll definately play it again.

Its a shame they didn't think of making make a remake mobile game version as I think it would work

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A Japanese PC (and probably PSX too) adventure game that I believe has a western theme. The graphics were really clunky 3D sort of like The Town With No Name, it's not Silverload.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mac game, probably System 8 or System 9 era. Top-down space shooter; you could turn and fly in any direction and the game would scroll with you, keeping your ship centered. There were various enemies to fight and powerups to collect and I think once you found and eliminated all enemies it would take you to a new level. Levels were just space with different hazards and enemies scattered around, no walls or anything. Your ship looked kind of like three red bottles stuck together and all the graphics had a sort of "sprites pre-rendered from 3d models" aesthetic.

For a long time I thought it was Maelstrom by Ambrosia Software, but it's not. It's also not Mars Rising, Deimos Rising, or any of the Escape Velocity games.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

A Japanese PC (and probably PSX too) adventure game that I believe has a western theme. The graphics were really clunky 3D sort of like The Town With No Name, it's not Silverload.

Rising Zan, by any chance? It's sort of a combo western/samurai game.

ToxicFrog posted:

Mac game, probably System 8 or System 9 era. Top-down space shooter; you could turn and fly in any direction and the game would scroll with you, keeping your ship centered. There were various enemies to fight and powerups to collect and I think once you found and eliminated all enemies it would take you to a new level. Levels were just space with different hazards and enemies scattered around, no walls or anything. Your ship looked kind of like three red bottles stuck together and all the graphics had a sort of "sprites pre-rendered from 3d models" aesthetic.

For a long time I thought it was Maelstrom by Ambrosia Software, but it's not. It's also not Mars Rising, Deimos Rising, or any of the Escape Velocity games.

I'm pretty sure I know the game you're talking about, but I can't remember its name. Did it have an enemy base that was sort of like a black Deep Space Nine? I remember playing the demo and liking it but also finding it way too hard; eventually I realized that was because the demo would take you straight from like level 1 to level 20 so the difficulty was...uneven.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Lunatic Fringe? iirc it was an interactive screen saver in one of the After Dark collections

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Rising Zan, by any chance? It's sort of a combo western/samurai game.

Hell yes I love Rising Zan but that's not it. This was more of like a graphic adventure sort of thing (I think it was first person though like Myst or Town With No Name instead of having your character on screen).

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
For some reason I’m thinking of a 2D platformer I saw on a Steam sale with 3D rendered sprite graphics. It was really surreal and the antagonists might have been aliens, and there was some kind of plot around mind control or a dream world. Boss battles seemed like a big part of it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Top-down, Mac, and "pre-rendered" aesthetic makes me think of Spaceway 2000 but walls were a huge thing in that game and the ship didn't look like three red bottles so that's probably not it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dr Christmas posted:

For some reason I’m thinking of a 2D platformer I saw on a Steam sale with 3D rendered sprite graphics. It was really surreal and the antagonists might have been aliens, and there was some kind of plot around mind control or a dream world. Boss battles seemed like a big part of it.

Just throwing this out there, but... Nidhogg 2?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

b_d posted:

Lunatic Fringe? iirc it was an interactive screen saver in one of the After Dark collections

Lunatic Fringe is similar to the game I believe ToxicFrog is thinking of, but differs in a few keys ways. There's no explicit level transitions (the game just gets harder over time), the player ship is blue, not red, and I feel ToxicFrog would have mentioned Lunatic Fringe's damage model if that was the game he was thinking of, because it's pretty memorable.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just throwing this out there, but... Nidhogg 2?

Nope. Found it, it was called Daydreamer, and was apparently mediocre to okay. Typed keywords like "surreal" and "2d" into the steam search and didn't find it or overlooked it. Did the same thing in Greenlight and found it halfway through an 80-page list of action games.

A much older game that sticks in my memory was a fighting game on the SNES (IIRC, might have been Genesis) that I played at a friend's house ages ago. A couple characters could spam projectiles with just a single button press, and one was a swordsman who could summon a whole damaging wall with just a button press. Another one had a red suit that reminds me of the Flash, who would do a punch that summoned a little swirly projectile.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

Nope. Found it, it was called Daydreamer, and was apparently mediocre to okay. Typed keywords like "surreal" and "2d" into the steam search and didn't find it or overlooked it. Did the same thing in Greenlight and found it halfway through an 80-page list of action games.

A much older game that sticks in my memory was a fighting game on the SNES (IIRC, might have been Genesis) that I played at a friend's house ages ago. A couple characters could spam projectiles with just a single button press, and one was a swordsman who could summon a whole damaging wall with just a button press. Another one had a red suit that reminds me of the Flash, who would do a punch that summoned a little swirly projectile.

Eternal Champions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've got a tough one for you. The game: a F2P, Korean, anime, vampire vs werewolf-themed MOBA. It was undoubtedly as terrible as that sounds, but notable because it was around before the term "MOBA" was even a thing. In fact, it came out before League of Legends existed, or was even announced, I think; pretty much all that existed was the original DOTA mod. So probably between 2004 and 2007 I guess?