Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
modern metal is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tomarse posted:

1) Write everything down in a letter. Don’t hold back.

2) Burn the letter

This is good advice, but extended to burning in general. I'm kind of a paperwork/documentation hoarder, so when relationships have ended I inevitably have a box or folder of birthday cards, cute notes and things like that. Once it was a cheating situation and I burnt everything in angst, which felt great. Last time it just didn't work out but I cared a lot for her, and it didn't seem right to throw everything in the trash. Burning was cathartic and gave everything a sense of respectful finality; no going back.

I've also found it's helpful to keep a word doc diary over the years, just ranting and writing down little things that would normally be forgotten. Doesn't have to be an every day or even every month thing, but I try to add a paragraph or a "letter" to someone when something's on my mind. It's been a huge help over the years to be able to go back and remember how I was feeling and why I made the decisions I did. Very good on those nights when you're second-guessing yourself.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Ignore her completely, this is the only way you can get 'closure' out of this that isn't not-closure, or not-the-closure-YOU-wanted. Also she'll be wondering where all the begging and pleading texts are, and you'll be busy having a good life moving on.

Listen to this man. Months later, you will be glad you didn't send those sappy or angry tipsytexts. That being said I did talk a couple of times with my last ex in person, and they were both productive talks I'm glad I underwent. They weren't easy but we were both respectful of each other, and I like to think they helped both of us move on and take lessons for the future. It's not an easy thing to achieve, but it can be good depending on the situation.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

It's like someone took a collection of tribal tattoos and put them through a wood chipper.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
first day

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BraveUlysses posted:

modern metal is bad

I will now point and laugh at this man, for his terrible opinions.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

modern metal is bad

:gas:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

modern metal is bad

Modern metal is pretty good tho

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bouncer at a european night club?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZEKlp-H6FE

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Bouncer at a european night club?

Yep got my tracksuit on

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Dude YES congratulations

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Pretty ballin Fridge Corn - congrats!

And, in light of yesterday - this is intense:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1042879/world-war-one-remembrance-day-recording-guns-silent-armistice-1918

Really brings 100 years of history down to a small recording. Really hope the world can remember how lovely losing entire generations of young men can be.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

modern metal is bad

Agreed

loving SWEET dude

Does this mean lots of engine out services now :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Double post

The Art Institute of Chicago has put 50,000 high-res images from their collection online and it's pretty loving rad.

https://www.artic.edu/collection?is_public_domain=1

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Why is there popcorn in the men's room stall?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BraveUlysses posted:

modern metal is bad

Metal that takes itself seriously is bad.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Okay I just went out for a ride in a 488 Pista

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

fridge corn posted:

Okay I just went out for a ride in a 488 Pista

Consultant a physician if your erection lasts longer than 4 hours.

(So jealous. Congratulations)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Adiabatic posted:

MrsAdiabatic showed me this very same image once. It's one of his favorite metal bands.

I can confirm that they put on a great show that started with them emptying 4 sacks of inflatable beachballs and an inflatable crocodile into the crowd. The crocodile was a fuckin' trooper as he then survived for the next 6 hours of being thrown around, jumped on and ridden around the venue without dying.
If I am ever in boat sinking or flood situation where I have to pick an inflatable item to hold onto inflatable crocodile is now top of my list for longevity.

If he actually enjoys party cannon, tell him to check out Crepitation, who have a very similar approach
They also finished their set by setting up a big wall of death which they then did this to. Which was inspired.

BraveUlysses posted:

modern metal is bad

NO. This is just like saying "modern cars are bad". Yes, some modern stuff is, but so is some of the old stuff.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tomarse posted:

They also finished their set by setting up a big wall of death which they then did this to. Which was inspired.

Superb. The sight of all those black shirts strangely confused/annoyed then getting into it as they realise it's not going to stop is great. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're literally waiting on a contractor quote and we can close on the house.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

RIP Stan Lee :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grakkus posted:

His final days were a literal living hell. His passing is very sad but he is absolutely in a better place now. Hopefully reunited with his wife.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, it seems like he's had a rough time of it of late. 95 certainly isn't bad going though.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Anyone else feel like the quality of car interiors really dipped from about 2005-2014?

It's only just recently that I feel like car interiors have gotten good again. I think it's just because car companies stated using that cheap looking hard plastic in their cars in the mid-aughts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

Anyone else feel like the quality of car interiors really dipped from about 2005-2014?

It's only just recently that I feel like car interiors have gotten good again. I think it's just because car companies stated using that cheap looking hard plastic in their cars in the mid-aughts.

A lot of it might have to do with the fact that an airbag now has to pop out of every available surface in the event of a fender bender.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's awesome. Thanks for that!

Fender Anarchist posted:

Party Cannon are the true rebels.

Definitely stands out in that crowd, and even in B&W on the previous poster.

Grakkus posted:

Saw that.

Rhyno posted:

His final days were a literal living hell. His passing is very sad but he is absolutely in a better place now. Hopefully reunited with his wife.

And that. Seems like he was being taken advantage of in his old age.
Not quite as big, but Douglas Rain, the actor who did the voice of HAL in 2001 and 2010 died on Sunday, as well.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

Modern metal is pretty good tho

Got any recommendations?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
According to Firestone this is not repairable. :rolleyes:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

`Nemesis posted:

Its probably on the radius portion of the tire on the inside. It would be a bit difficult to properly patch... from the inside.

I would just jam a rope plug in it and see how long it lasts.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rdb posted:

Its probably on the radius portion of the tire on the inside. It would be a bit difficult to properly patch... from the inside.

It'll last.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

rdb posted:

That's probably why. Also, if it's an inch or less from the sidewall, they won't patch it either.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Yeah I did the standard rope patch on my own and it's been holding air for a few days, I think it'll be ok

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

`Nemesis posted:

Every store that sells and repairs tires received some literature a few years ago from the Rubber Manufacturers Association, detailing that the repair area of a tire is only the center tread area. Now nobody wants to touch it if it’s anywhere near the shoulder because even though there isn’t an actual law governing tire repair, the RMA literature has been used as guidelines in lawsuits.

It’s a bunch of bs because a tire can be repaired anywhere as long as it’s done properly (including the sidewall, excluding the bead area). Oh, and just a plug is a no-no too since the hole needs to be filled and the inside needs to be patched.

/End tire repair rant

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Powershift posted:

A lot of it might have to do with the fact that an airbag now has to pop out of every available surface in the event of a fender bender.

That's what I figured.

I guess it just took them awhile to figure out how to do it without making the interior look horrible.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah, car interiors actually have some semblance of design again. But man, mid-2000s cars are terrible. Just miles and miles of flat untextured plastic.
Dodge was especially bad about his.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, car interiors actually have some semblance of design again. But man, mid-2000s cars are terrible. Just miles and miles of flat untextured plastic.
Dodge was especially bad about his.

My mid 00's Mazda interior isn't terrible but it's pretty bland.

Five more steps taken towards home ownership and closing. Officially hired contractor to do the interior repair and another to do the other stuff. We're gonna stop by Menards to check out flooring as one room has janky carpeting and price out paint.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Modus Man posted:

Every store that sells and repairs tires received some literature a few years ago from the Rubber Manufacturers Association, detailing that the repair area of a tire is only the center tread area. Now nobody wants to touch it if it’s anywhere near the shoulder because even though there isn’t an actual law governing tire repair, the RMA literature has been used as guidelines in lawsuits.

It’s a bunch of bs because a tire can be repaired anywhere as long as it’s done properly (including the sidewall, excluding the bead area). Oh, and just a plug is a no-no too since the hole needs to be filled and the inside needs to be patched.

/End tire repair rant

sidewalls are extremely difficult without a cured repair (as would happen during retreading) because of all the flex that happens in the area due to the belts only extending so far. I spent the last year of my tire career testing the limits and if the corded section of a reinforced patch (such as a CT-12) extends much past the belted section of a radial tire it will almost invariably fail. Non-reinforced patches may do better but I don't trust them all that far due to the smaller bonding area.

That said I would never at any point in my tire career have even hesitated before repairing Nemesis' tire, that is so far inside my personal margin I could just about put another patch between a patch covering that nail and the no-go line.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Any Aus Goons have recommendations for an interstate Car transporting service? We are getting a nice family price on an Aurion but all the quotes I've had to get it from Brisbane to Melbourne are not cheaper than flying up and driving it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oh neat, UPS marked my Rockauto shipment delivered.

.... except it was going to my PO Box (some USPS post office locations accept UPS/Fedex/etc for a PO Box) since my apartment complex doesn't accept packages. The post office was closed today.

I'm wondering if they had a few key people working and actually did accept it, or if the UPS driver delivered it to the apartments next to the post office instead.

• Locked thread