Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

There are still a smaller number of traditional battles, its the grinding random wild mons that got replaced with tapping

It doesn’t look like there is tapping? Do you mean throwing the ball instead of traditional fights in the tall grass?

I never played any Pokémon before trying Pokemon Go. Pokemon Go is a fun activity but it’s not really a good game. Most battles, the types don’t matter, you just tap really fast with a high CP mon against their low CP mon or you get a mob of people together for a raid. So it’s really about walking around and collecting and some light socializing.

Curious about Let’s Go but impatient, I tried Ultra Sun and, uh, it’s not much different there? Battles are turn based instead of tapping based, but you have to go out of your way not to over level your mons which makes all the combat trivial. So to keep the game challenging, you have to not use your special favorite buddies, which is a real feelsbad moment. Hunting for mons in the tall grass quickly becomes pretty tedious since you are essentially pulling a slot machine over and over, but then you have to fight the exact same fight you just fought a dozen times before until you run into that rare mon you were looking for.

Pokemon is a game series about mastery through memorization. There’s the roster of mons obviously, but also the ridiculously large type chart, the fine details of breeding, hidden stats, etc. It’s a game of secret knowledge that lends itself to game guides, message boards, and rumors traded on the playground. And, of course, the mons are charming and adorable and there’s something for everyone.

It’s a game series that’s complicated, not complex (compared to something like chess which has a much smaller move set but still plenty of strategy). It could do with some streamlining, I think. It could be streamlined without dumbing it down by eliminating a lot of the busywork. Whether Let’s Go streamlines things in the right way remains to be seen.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i've recently discovered that Warframe totally owns

and on top of that i just ran into this cutscene and song ingame, and thought of that discussion we had in here like a week ago about emotionally-affective music :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTCq3LiZSE

(yeah, the entire loving zone is as utterly on the nose as this, at least so far)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm fairly sure the battles in Pokemon Go (1v1 and 2v2) are like core series, but they look like Pokemon Stadium matches. Pokemon have 4 abilities, and there are TMs and HMs. No held items, though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I spent three hours playing Echo and I hate when I like a game's setting and atmosphere but the actual gameplay puts me to sleep. Time to watch a playthrough with no commentary I guess.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just wanna say Sony knocked it out of the park with this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUXUlzZHr3k

Bless nonsensical ads :allears:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will definitely see Detective Pikachu.

Also if there is a black friday sale on for PSVR here in the UK I will be getting one. I tried one out in store at the weekend and had a blast! I have been putting off getting Resident Evil VII because I want to experience it in VR :D

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ATTN: VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PDZoua9vrY

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hahaha ok if I had the skills I would make this an avatar :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Just wanna say Sony knocked it out of the park with this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUXUlzZHr3k

Bless nonsensical ads :allears:

Poor kitty

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VideoGames posted:

hahaha ok if I had the skills I would make this an avatar :D
i'm going to bed now but if no one else does it I'll try to gif it for you tomorrow, gonna be hard to make it loop though...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve finally figured it out, Quiet Man reminds me of Sub Zero Mythologies

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That Detective Pikachu trailer just filled me with wonder and excitement, what a feeling

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Somebody tell me about Quiet Man, the Steam ads made it look interesting

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Somebody tell me about Quiet Man, the Steam ads made it look interesting

Watch this video, in it's entirety, then come back here and say that it looks interesting :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtgTeivD2Lc

MUM'S DEAD PARKOUR!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I can't ever get behind folks who are original 151 only and I think you can probably guess the reason why

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s pretty hosed up that Normal is a Pokémon type

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm interested in the new pokemon but I'll wait a bit to see how it's received before getting it since I'm not sure how to changes will work out

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the detective pikachu movie is a “critical hit”

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What is the best swamp level? Rotten Vale? Valley of Defilement? SHREK: THE VIDEO GAME?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bubblegloop Swamp is the only one I can tolerate but that might be just a nostalgia thing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

precision posted:

You will likely get super bored of it very quickly. It's a well designed game in some ways but the lack of content is pretty heinous. Gave me flashbacks to Phantasy Star Online

I don't have a mind for MMO's and reading about everything going on with D2 Forsaken is an overwhelming amount of stuff to wrap my head around. I haven't bought the expansion yet. What is lacking in your opinion?

I think the shooting is very satisfying and it seems like the game does everything in it's power to move you efficiently from one shoot out to the next. There's no hunting for treasure it secrets. Everything seems to be all action all the time with gear being tired to boss drops. I thought Borderlands 2 suffered pacing problems from constantly opening chests and running through huge, boring maps from one quest to the next. Admittedly I've only played a Titan to level 8 and the other two classes through the intro.

My buddy and I are looking for a PC coop game. We played Halo 1 and 2 a bunch in high school and D2 seems poised to give us that again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

What is the best swamp level? Rotten Vale? Valley of Defilement? SHREK: THE VIDEO GAME?

Left 4 Dead 2 has my favourite one.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the sinnoh safari zone

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The swamp area in RDR2 is pretty cool. It has its unique set of dangers and looks cool in almost any time of day, but you can avoid it for the most part which is an excellent quality for any swamp level. Just be wary of wandering around there for too long at night.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I like the aesthetic of Southern Swamp in Majora's Mask but you could argue that it's more rainforest than swamp.

Himuro posted:

Currently playing Master Quest for the first time and loving it.

I’m almost done though and for next game I was going to play Fire Emblem for GBA as my first Fire Emblem but to be honest I’m on a Zelda kick and want to replay my favorite Zelda: Majora’s Mask.

I’m struggling picking. Of the two which do you think I should go for? Playing Fire Emblem Awakening classic mode once I’m done with both.

Do something new with your life and play Fire Emblem. I say this as someone who has struggled for years to get into that series and never quite got all the way to liking it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

DKC2 has good swamp levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tffqG3zRLQ

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Raxivace posted:

Bubblegloop Swamp is the only one I can tolerate but that might be just a nostalgia thing.

Even that's kind of annoying but yeah it's what popped to mind. Swamp levels suck.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Raxivace posted:

I guess you could say it was merely... bog standard.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Talking about Pokemon, I'll be one of many to say they should add a hard mode. Not like romhack hard, just one where the enemy trainers build to using more coherent teams and strategy, and probably locks you into set mode. Also it should have a live service of rotating battle and breeding challenges to give you something to do with your collection at endgame.

So my question is, if you could force some changes on the next iteration of a series, what would you do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't have a mind for MMO's and reading about everything going on with D2 Forsaken is an overwhelming amount of stuff to wrap my head around. I haven't bought the expansion yet. What is lacking in your opinion?

I think the shooting is very satisfying and it seems like the game does everything in it's power to move you efficiently from one shoot out to the next. There's no hunting for treasure it secrets. Everything seems to be all action all the time with gear being tired to boss drops. I thought Borderlands 2 suffered pacing problems from constantly opening chests and running through huge, boring maps from one quest to the next. Admittedly I've only played a Titan to level 8 and the other two classes through the intro.

My buddy and I are looking for a PC coop game. We played Halo 1 and 2 a bunch in high school and D2 seems poised to give us that again.

I don't know if precision has played since vanilla, when the game absolutely had an awful issue with a lack of repeatable content. I should note that, because Destiny is a pseudo-MMO, a big part of its longevity is giving you (satisfying) reasons to repeat content you've already done, and vanilla Destiny 2 failed miserably at that.

In Forsaken, there's a significantly larger amount of different things to do at endgame than there was in vanilla D2, and on top of that, it's also more rewarding to repeat things, especially because "am I going to get a gear upgrade for this?" actually isn't down to RNG in many cases. If, when you reach max level, you do an activity that says it'll give you "powerful gear," that gear will be a power level upgrade for you, every time. There's a limited number of those things to do each week, but that number is high enough that I usually don't get around to all of them, so you can pretty safely pick the things you like and skip the things you don't and still have enough to do.

It also helps that the endgame open-world zone, the Dreaming City, is on a three-week cycle, so what enemies are there and what activities are available rotates weekly and completes a full rotation every three weeks. So what's going on there right now is going to change during the weekly reset today at 9 PST, and we'll come back to this version of the Dreaming City again on the 27th.

If you have absolutely no patience for repeating things, I still think you'll get a good 40-50 hours out of Forsaken, not to mention the two DLC campaigns you'll do on the way to Forsaken. If you do find that you like doing strikes, the dungeon, or maybe even join up with goons and do the raid or some PvP stuff, you'll have a good time for a while. It also helps that, by the time you finish up for Forsaken stuff, the first of the year 2 DLC packs will be coming out, though we really have no idea what that's going to entail (so don't buy the Annual Pass yet).

For me, I think it helps that the core shooting gameplay feels so drat good, and also that playing three characters isn't really a detriment to "progression" so I get to switch it up pretty regularly and play different classes.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Harrow posted:

Destiny 2 words.

Thanks for all that! I will never have time to do everything. Does it have any LFG or similar features for finding pugs or is it a game that requires guilds?

Also, do they really charge money for the expansion and then more money for future upgrades? I've never played a "games as service" game so this is all new to me, and it feels dirty.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 13, 2018

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/SMWikiOfficial/status/1062349222245208064

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Thanks for all that! I will never have time to do everything. Does it have any LFG or similar features for finding pugs or is it a game that requires guilds?

For normal strikes (basically side missions balanced for three players instead of one) or casual PvP stuff, you can jump into matchmaking and get matched with randoms. If you and your friend are playing together, you can get matchmade with a third to fill out your group, too.

For Nightfall strikes (hard-mode strikes that rotate each week), raids, and the game's newly-added actual dungeon (the Shattered Throne), there's no matchmaking, so you'll have to get a group together manually.

That said, I'd recommend joining a clan even if you don't think you'll play with people too often, and there are like six goon clans on PC now. If nothing else, you get bonuses for being a member, including a few pieces of free gear each week as your clan completes weekly milestones, and having in-game clan chat can be nice if you need to ask questions or ask for help with something.

Wildtortilla posted:

Also, do they really charge money for the expansion and then more money for future upgrades? I've never played a "games as service" game so this is all new to me, and it feels dirty.

Yeah, it's sort of taking the place of something like WoW's monthly subscription, if you think of it that way. The Forsaken expansion comes with a good 40 hours of content even if you don't get sucked into the endgame stuff hardcore like I did. There are free updates coming over the course of the year, including seasonal events, but the big content drops are considered DLC and they charge for them. It's $35 for a year of DLC, which includes three DLC packs from now until summer 2019 (after which they'll likely release another expansion in fall 2019, followed up by Destiny 3 in fall 2020, assuming the pattern holds).

Again, though, I'd recommend holding off on the Annual Pass until you're a) sure you're going to keep playing for at least one of those DLCs, and b) know what's actually in the DLC. They've been very tight-lipped about what the Black Armory DLC that's coming in December even is.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 13, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hitman Blood Money had a swamp level yeah? Or was that more of a "swamp adjacent" level

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Kingdom Hearts 3 SHOULD have a swamp/bayou level where you end up fighting against a singing Keith David.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Hitman Blood Money had a swamp level yeah? Or was that more of a "swamp adjacent" level

you go to the white house yeah

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDlXQdlTeho

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

claude moyse is the world's greatest monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

Talking about Pokemon, I'll be one of many to say they should add a hard mode. Not like romhack hard, just one where the enemy trainers build to using more coherent teams and strategy, and probably locks you into set mode. Also it should have a live service of rotating battle and breeding challenges to give you something to do with your collection at endgame.

So my question is, if you could force some changes on the next iteration of a series, what would you do?

I think Splatoon 3 should ditch the skill system and let you pick any skill loadout for any piece of gear you want. They got like 70% there in 2 but they should just open it up completely in 3

• Locked thread