Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

All I'm taking away from this conversation is that it is for the best that I neglected to watch Darling in the Franxx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

All I'm taking away from this conversation is that it is for the best that I neglected to watch Darling in the Franxx.
It left a bad taste in many a goon's mouth because it started out pretty dang promising and, even after a few stumbles, it stayed strong, but after... what, episode 16? Or somewhere around there, it kinda shat the bed. Badly. Like Trainspotting's Spud making GBS threads-the-bed bad.

So yeah, all in all your assessment is correct.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I liked everything up until past the wedding, where everything poo poo the bed and made me go "what". I like a happy ending as much as anyone else, but Franxx's one was really ??? and unearned.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
alexis sponsored by verizon huh

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Upon rewatching the episode: Am I the only one with this impression, or do Samurai Calibur's eyes shrink ever so slightly during that one scene where he goes :raise:?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Anosillus the Second is categorized under Kaiju on the series' website :3:

https://gridman.net/kaiju/#/anosillus2nd

We got the spelling wrong

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My impression of Franxx was that it really wanted to talk about gender but had absolutely no valuable ideas about that subject.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

What did it do with the subject instead?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

CrashScreen posted:

"It turns out that boys are different from girls, isn't that craaaaaaaaaazy?"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

"What if we powered robots by doggy style?"

KoB
May 1, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

a person's worth is derived from makin' babies.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The biggest things that let me down about Franxx were that

Rand Brittain posted:

My impression of Franxx was that it really wanted to talk about gender but had absolutely no valuable ideas about that subject.

as well as how it built up this really intriguing backstory and then felt the need to go into detail about it which ruined all the mystery and replaced it with some completely stupid explanation. Sometimes it's better to leave things to the imagination.

dogsicle posted:

I'm not sure what it would be able to do to even earn that comparison at this point. just let shows exist

It is also a trigger made show about fighting giant kaiju that has an air of mystery about things early on and is generally pretty good.

Its just the typical "man I hope that this doesn't completely fumble the ending" feeling.

CrashScreen posted:

Nothing. It did nothing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ok but franxx wasn't trigger

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and that's before even touching on how it's not a great mindset to create hypothetical problems about a thing you are enjoying

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like this subforum just needs a giant banner that reads DARLING IN THE FRANXX IS AN ANIME WRITTEN AND PRODUCED BY A-1 STUDIOS WITH SOME CROSSOVER TALENT AND DESIGN WORK BY TRIGGER

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the entire internet needs it and will continue to need it for at least a decade

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We should probably add to that that Gridman is written by Tsuburaya (best known for Ultraman) and here Trigger is entirely on the animation side, just as in DitF. As such, at worst, people should fear how still everything will get once Gridman grows even more gigantic in his marriage form.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

We should probably add to that that Gridman is written by Tsuburaya (best known for Ultraman) and here Trigger is entirely on the animation side, just as in DitF. As such, at worst, people should fear how still everything will get once Gridman grows even more gigantic in his marriage form.

To be fair, it sounds like the director, Akira Amemiya, has a lot of creative control over the story as well, and he is very much a Trigger guy. That said, Amemiya also had no involvement with DiTF.

It's still perfectly possible that Gridman explodes, but it won't have any real correlation with DiTF even if it does.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Oh, I have zero faith that this show will deliver on any sort of promise for a satisfying ending, but at this point I don't care and I am just watching for the kaiju fights, mecha anime callbacks, and the nice legs. If it does do something neat with the plot, I'd be down, but I'll enjoy this either way I'm sure.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Really disappointed that 1/3rd of this last episode was "A new character appears and describes the plot to Yuta." Rikka and Anti's and Akane and Utsumi's parts were both interesting and cool, but the entire plot dump part was super dissatisfying.

Also, an episode without a kaiju is still bad even if you call it out for being bad in the episode itself. :colbert:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Really disappointed that 1/3rd of this last episode was "A new character appears and describes the plot to Yuta." Rikka and Anti's and Akane and Utsumi's parts were both interesting and cool, but the entire plot dump part was super dissatisfying.

Also, an episode without a kaiju is still bad even if you call it out for being bad in the episode itself. :colbert:

There were Kaiju, just not in monstruos forms.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

There were Kaiju, just not in monstruos forms.

I did really like the alley shot with the new kaiju growing in size and overshadowing Yuta.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Oh, I have zero faith that this show will deliver on any sort of promise for a satisfying ending, but at this point I don't care and I am just watching for the kaiju fights, mecha anime callbacks, and the nice legs. If it does do something neat with the plot, I'd be down, but I'll enjoy this either way I'm sure.

Keiichi Hasegawa literally wrote an entire decade's worth of shows for the Ultra Series, and almost single-handedly started getting tokusatsu series serious critical attention again. I think it's reasonable to assume some level of competence.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Not that Anosillus the Second was built up before her first real appearance, but she has been sneaking around in the background of earlier episodes. And, of course, the OP, which started running on the second episode (not sure if she had an in-episode appearance in that one).

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That's a neat touch. I think it was posted somewhere in this thread that there are some nice details about characters in the background as well.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

That's a neat touch. I think it was posted somewhere in this thread that there are some nice details about characters in the background as well.

I know about Akane's nameless background friends apparently being the main characters from a Yuri novella the director wrote a while back. Anything else?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Spiritus Nox posted:

I know about Akane's nameless background friends apparently being the main characters from a Yuri novella the director wrote a while back. Anything else?

Akko

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Considering the reveals of episode 6, now that I think about it, why doesn't Akane just send like 30 kaiju at Yuta at once just to take him out for sure?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Also in the character design of the girl kaiju

https://twitter.com/tuki3002/status/1061297469814824960?s=19%C2%A0

It is repeatedly stated that she stinks. Bloody humanoid kaijus

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Considering the reveals of episode 6, now that I think about it, why doesn't Akane just send like 30 kaiju at Yuta at once just to take him out for sure?

I get the impression that she needs what's-his-face's help to make her carvings into actual Kaiju, so it might be a limitation of his own power?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Logicblade posted:

I'm mostly watching it because I want to know what goes down. I'm not really a big fan of mecha anime or kaiju. :v:

Spiritus Nox posted:

The podcast guys were based off of an actual Japanese podcast, I think.

There's something vaguely ironic about a show as full of shoutouts as this having been aggressively anti-fanwork as it is/was. :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm mostly watching it because I want to know what goes down. I'm not really a big fan of mecha anime or kaiju. :v:

The podcast guys were based off of an actual Japanese podcast, I think.

There's something vaguely ironic about a show as full of shoutouts as this having been aggressively anti-fanwork as it is/was. :v:

Hah, yeah, that is pretty funny - although the director/writer/animators actually making the show don't have a lot of say over what happens in legal, lol

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

boredsatellite posted:

Also in the character design of the girl kaiju

https://twitter.com/tuki3002/status/1061297469814824960?s=19%C2%A0

It is repeatedly stated that she stinks. Bloody humanoid kaijus

She just needs to be scrubbed down by Rikka.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That's not a camo-pattern coat. It used to be one colour.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Trigger: starts to draw a line

Goon: I'm concerned, this is starting to look like 02's rear end from Franxx

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good news everyone, it’s actually Rikka’s rear end

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like this subforum just needs a giant banner that reads DARLING IN THE FRANXX IS AN ANIME WRITTEN AND PRODUCED BY A-1 STUDIOS WITH SOME CROSSOVER TALENT AND DESIGN WORK BY TRIGGER

Early in the Franxx thread I looked up other A-1 productions and identified that the show was probably going to start phoning it in, pulling punches, and go to poo poo by the end just like Aldnoah and everything else A-1 makes.

I got poo-poo'd and shushed so loving much, with claims that studios can't have habits or meddling that lead to such things, or that Trigger could save the day (I hereby regret holding onto that hope until the pentultimate episode.)

I took note of her in this shot but didn't think anything of it at the time. Now I know she learned to find change in coin returns and under machines from Anzu.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

WOW that's some bad perspective in this shot. Those vehicles are literally perpendicular to the ground.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Julias posted:

WOW that's some bad perspective in this shot. Those vehicles are literally perpendicular to the ground.

I think it might be an Evangelion reference, or perhaps more generally common framing, when Shinji and Rei are walking with roughly that spacing and the cars look just like that too, right after the infamous post-shower scene. I don't have it handy to scrub through.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Early in the Franxx thread I looked up other A-1 productions and identified that the show was probably going to start phoning it in, pulling punches, and go to poo poo by the end just like Aldnoah and everything else A-1 makes.

I got poo-poo'd and shushed so loving much, with claims that studios can't have habits or meddling that lead to such things, or that Trigger could save the day (I hereby regret holding onto that hope until the pentultimate episode.)

probably the wrong lesson to take from that interaction, even though the Trigger stuff was dumb as poo poo. A-1 not having a typical studio structure means there can be wildly different staff on each project, so there's often not a single indicator for their show quality.