Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

AOC for speaker of the house, none of the other vichy dem plutocrats speak for us.

Your schtick is getting tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
do you all remember when obama was going to revoke Fox News' white house press pass?

i seem to remember everyone thinking that was a good thing

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I can't wait till she primaries Schumer.

Someone needs to. 2022, hopefully Trump will be gone, and it would send a BIG message to other dems to listen to their constituencies. In the meanwhile, especially at state/local level elections in blue areas in the primary, vote/donate DSA. Schumer's the perfect candidate for a national level primary ouster, someone who is clearly more conservative than his base, where there would be no chance of an R spoiling the general election. Whoever said before that republicans vote smartly is dead right -- hold your nose in the general but primary HARD ideologically.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I guess be ready to be disappointed when NY primary voters overwhelmingly pick Schumer. See also: Nixon, Cynthia; Teachout, Zephyr.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

RaySmuckles posted:

do you all remember when obama was going to revoke Fox News' white house press pass?

It sucks about Fox News because they do have some good guys like Shepherd Smith and stuff over there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

yronic heroism posted:

Would the WH be able to just exclude CNN as a whole from press briefings instead? Now I’m now very curious how this gets handled as a policy matter. Can news agencies be guaranteed a spot? Does Breitbart or High Times or whoever have to be let in to a press conference if they are first in line? (I personally think the answer should be yes, but WH could claim “At the end of the day this is just a meeting and we meet with who we want” though that’s a different question than whether CFR was followed and it’s harder politically to ban an entire network than just one guy.)

That's the great thing about the Trump administration, we're finally getting binding precedent on the parts of the government that have up until now merely adhered to the tradition that the people involved aren't giant pissy assholes.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

I guess be ready to be disappointed when NY primary voters overwhelmingly pick Schumer. See also: Nixon, Cynthia; Teachout, Zephyr.

remember: do not hope. do not try. do not attempt to avert the coming catastrophe.

under no circumstances should you attempt to make the world a better place, because it might not be decorous

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

RaySmuckles posted:

And CNN defended them. But is Fox returning the favor here?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AOC Primary who was likely the next house speaker (after Pelosi) in 2018, primary Chuck Schumer in 2022, primary the incumbent Democratic president in 2024, primary Kr'Noxtul of Betelgeuse 7 in 2030 for president of space.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kimsemus posted:

It sucks about Fox News because they do have some good guys like Shepherd Smith and stuff over there.

i was going more for demonstrating the hypocrisies of "team politics"

ban the news i don't like? hell yeah, of course obama can do that

ban the news i like? trump is murdering freedom of the press, we should sue

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

RaySmuckles posted:

In a vacuum, it was not and is not a good thing.

Considering the reality that Fox has long since abandoned any pretense of factual reporting, this is a false equivalence.

VVV :hfive:

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

RaySmuckles posted:

The flaw in your premise is that you are pretending that Fox is a news organization rather than a propaganda vehicle.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AhhYes posted:

In a vacuum, it was not and is not a good thing.

Considering the reality that Fox has long since abandoned any pretense of factual reporting, this is a false equivalence.

many people feel the exact same way about cnn :shrug:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

RaySmuckles posted:

This has been the hypocrisy of the argument

the difference is Trump is actually doing the thing we *thought* Obama was going to do

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He also got California's Prop 8 against gay marriage overturned, and sits on the board of the Federalist Society. He's basically "briefly tempting" on the libertarian chart:

I hadn't seen this Libertarian Chart before and I laughed at loud at 'Atlas' mostly because that's exactly what Fox News seems to still be doing right now on Twitter. They're basically "Going Galt" on not updating their Twitter because that'll show us! That must be why the stock market went down a little bit as well! :ohdear:

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

RaySmuckles posted:

They are objectively and demonstrably incorrect.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RaySmuckles posted:

It was. Fox is a propaganda outlet and should be treated as such.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Fox News is objectively bad and should be banned. CNN isnt good but it’s not objectively bad so it shouldn’t be banned.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Was Obama constantly going on about how journalism is the enemy of the people and needed to be "taken care of"? Was Obama praising dems that physically attacked journalists?

Because if not, there is a vast difference between Obama justifiably saying Fox News is in fact politically slanted propaganda out to make him the literal loving devil and Trump banning CNN because his entire politicalmodus operandi is about attacking anything that is and isn't obedient to him.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

RaySmuckles posted:

Sure, but they probably also believe in lizard people and sinister pizza parlors, so their opinions can be safely disregarded.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RaySmuckles posted:

So you side with the idiots? Are you trying to loving sea lion us?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

RaySmuckles posted:

Those people are wrong. CNN isn't great or anything but to place FOX in their arena is to vastly overestimate their intentions.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

https://twitter.com/devynfromoregon/status/1062376639559024640?s=21

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

RaySmuckles posted:

But the difference is CNN actually *is* a news organization. Get out of here with that bullshit.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Fox News is for entertainment purposes only. They do not serve the public good, even before making this important legal distinction.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

He wasn't very fond of Helen Thomas asking him about war or Palestine, either.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

What is even happening here? People showed up to demand that she fix climate change immediately?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

Get the gently caress out of here with this both-sides bullshit. Fox News is a blatant propaganda machine and is a constant stream of racist, sexist, and anti-LGBT rhetoric. It is designed to poison large swathes of the electorate. To equivocate CNN and Fox News is just dishonest.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

RaySmuckles posted:

:gb2gbs:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Your Taint posted:

But the difference is CNN actually *is* a news organization. Get out of here with that bullshit.

yeah miss me with that poo poo

Watch any pundit show on CNN and it's the exact same poo poo as fox news in inverse. All the major news networks with few exceptions on specific pundits are the same and just fall on a spectrum.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

This resolution of the case seems pretty important to me. We will end up finding out if the White House can hand pick the reporters they want covering them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1062382618870726656 Jesus Christ.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

Fox News is not news. Neither is CNN, really, but at least they pretend to be.

We can play the false equivalence game all day though.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Do they know that she's not going to be Speaker until the new Congress convenes in January?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Kimsemus posted:

Watch any pundit show on CNN and it's the exact same poo poo as fox news in inverse. All the major news networks with few exceptions on specific pundits are the same and just fall on a spectrum.

I think you're falling for the Trump-esque issue of "there have been so many bad things that we've lost the ability to accurately assess how they should be judged" thing.

This is just so far from true it's flirting with dangerous.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
so once again, the news that i like is important and truthful, even though i can't exactly bring myself to call it "good"

the news i don't like, though, its the devil, a public nuisance, deserving of open oppression

don't you see these arguments are flimsy and weak? who decides which news organization is telling the truth? there's not even any obligation for the news to tell the truth, so being more or less truthful is completely irrelevant

keep it simpler, either the white house can oust journalists/news outlets or it can't

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kimsemus posted:

Given the context of the situation of "why Trump wants CNN out vs. why Obama wanted Fox out" and it's still a dumb line of thought to capitulate too.

CNN may suck but it's hilarious to compare the two situations/entities.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

so once again, the news that i like is important and truthful, even though i can't exactly bring myself to call it "good"

the news i don't like, though, its the devil, a public nuisance, deserving of open oppression

don't you see these arguments are flimsy and weak? who decides which news organization is telling the truth? there's not even any obligation for the news to tell the truth, so being more or less truthful is completely irrelevant

keep it simpler, either the white house can oust journalists/news outlets or it can't

Yes, and the Brownshirts are just a friendly social club. So tell me, should InfoWars and Breitbart be allowed in the Press Pool?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RaySmuckles posted:

Here's an idea: both stations are trash but one doesn't constantly parrot obvious lies. If you try real hard you can probably figure out which is which

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kimsemus posted:

CNN breaks and reports actual news surrounding the President and other powerful people that is of public interest. So does MSNBC, ABC, CBS, Reuters, the AP, etc. I could go on. FOX, however, when it's a news story that does not portray Trump in a positive light (so, most of them) flat out refuses to cover it. Have you seen the numerous screenshots when a big story breaks from CNN, MSNBC, and Fox? The first two will be covering the story and Fox will have some sort of stupid bullshit fluff piece.