Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

pairofdimes posted:

What was it that made the crowbar basically act like a blender on corpses in HL?

Crouching into a body while swinging the crowbar in classic HL1 (maybe HL Source also?) made it swing at a hundred times a second for inexplicable reasons, which exploded anything you moused over after a moment of PBBBTHBTHTBHBTBHTHBHT sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPiwdrxOgY8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah man. I don't really find the idea of putting all this time and effort into a piece of fiction only for my avatar to get raped and sealed away not having accomplished anything of note while the only other character who had any personality gets shot in the stomach and presumably bleed to death. The first game showed that you can have this interesting, grim as poo poo storyline with an actually exciting climax and resolution AND still have a "Gotcha!" final shot and keep everything very satisfying.

This is the same reason why I hate the endings to Far Cry 3, 4, and 5. Ubisoft is more interesting in being subversive rather than being interesting or satisfying because, I guess, "good" endings are for baby brained chumps?

No FPS ending is gonna be beat by the original Deus Ex anyway. All three are amazing and always make me sit back and grin. gently caress yeah, I just changed the fucken world. I understand that I'm pretty traditional when it comes to the resolution of storylines in games. I'm putting my trust in the designers to not make me make this face when I'm done giving them my 60 dollars and a dozen hours of my time:

Anyway that's your video game ending rant from me for today.

FC5's ending was such a pile of poo poo. You know all those crazy people out there and their crazy doomsday and second civil war theories and practicing violence by finding religious justification? It turns out they're completely right oh shiiiii. I'm not buying another Far Cry game after that one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Isn't the implication of Far Cry 5's ending that the nuclear apocalypse thing in the final mission didn't actually happen and you hallucinated it?

edit: I looked into it and apparently Ubisoft disagrees in an official capacity and the ending is supposedly literal, but the good news is that nobody gives a poo poo what Ubisoft thinks

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 13, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Plan Z posted:

FC5's ending was such a pile of poo poo. You know all those crazy people out there and their crazy doomsday and second civil war theories and practicing violence by finding religious justification? It turns out they're completely right oh shiiiii. I'm not buying another Far Cry game after that one.

But isn't that Far Cry's thing? The ending very much fit the series.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The strangest thing to me is that Ubisoft went back in and implemented an NG+ mode for FC5, like who would ever want to replay that game with an ending like that lol.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
With all the Daggerfall love let's not forget the incredibly ambitious Boiling Point / Xenus series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohut3tk09No

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

exquisite tea posted:

The strangest thing to me is that Ubisoft went back in and implemented an NG+ mode for FC5, like who would ever want to replay that game with an ending like that lol.

I dunno was the gameplay fun? Im sitting over here confused about what the big deal is about that ending

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The gameplay is fun, and the ending is simply their usual "clever" twist.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I never make it to the ending of Far Cry games. I lose steam about 3/4 of the way through so I never see these divisive endings

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Well maybe this is just me but typically it's fun to play a game when you're working toward some kind of narrative payoff, like for example triumphing over adversity, reaching some kind of emotional catharsis, you know, super basic storytelling stuff. Far Cry 5's ending is so lame and unsatisfying that it casts a shadow over the prospect of ever replaying it, especially when it's ensconsed within an inescapably bad narrative. I myself have even thought "hm the shootin' in FC5 was fun maybe I should reinst... oh wait, dat story tho" on several occasions.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I thought Far Cry 5's ending was funny but I disliked every single character in the game including the mute main protagonist, so "oh and suddenly a nuclear bomb explodes and everyone dies" was the perfect wrap-up to me.

Far Cry 4 did it much better.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Kadorhal posted:

Honestly, I felt it was the other way around. To me Extraction Point felt like the bad fan mod, with several setpieces and scares straight-up copied from the original game, a lot of the unique ones having a distinctive feeling of the developers only barely having an idea what the gently caress they were doing, oversights in how the game controlled (infinitely slide-kicking was fun and useful for getting through vents faster. Being unable to pick up remotes or mines after I placed them was not), unbalanced difficulty (the game throws end-game Replica variants at you really early, to say nothing of that heavy motherfucker with the near-instant-kill rocket launcher in the subway), and its reliance on several sequences where you simply hold the line against waves of enemies. Perseus Mandate had the more polished feel - gameplay that played closer to the game's strengths, the annoying oversights fixed while the fun ones are left be, more unique setpieces that don't feel just slapped together in two hours (including an actual Delta Force vs. Replica fight you get to take part in), etc. The only bad fan-mod vibe I get is the existence of this super-secret private army that knows everything and has all the best toys.

I do agree with people saying PM shows the engine's age more than EP does though. I still haven't even finished Perseus Mandate because it flatly refuses to let me beat the last two or three levels; every time I try one of them fails to transition from the previous one properly or it breaks when I reload a checkpoint.
This is pretty much how I felt; PM did some pretty cool stuff with the alternative perspective thing (seeing the nuke go off somewhere else, the Replicas re-activating, .etc)

I still wish they moved on from the Alma stuff after the first game and did something else with the franchise, rather than making FEAR2 a direct continuation (at least the ending was unique) I liked FEAR3 more than 2 because it didn't feel as much of a rehash of the original, and the dumb hud visor just kept me from being immersed so I never found 2 creepy. It makes Half-life 2 more impressive in retrospect because if it just re-visited another big base like the first game it wouldn't of been anywhere near as interesting,

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The United States posted:

With all the Daggerfall love let's not forget the incredibly ambitious Boiling Point / Xenus series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohut3tk09No

I loved The Precursors which was basically these devs trying to make Mass Effect. It's so stupid and janky but you can feel the passion in it. It's fun to muck around in for a few hours and then wonder what it would be like in the hands of devs with skill/budget.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I dunno was the gameplay fun? Im sitting over here confused about what the big deal is about that ending

Didn't mean to get things off topic in the thread but lemme just say that the problem with FC5 is that yes, the gameplay is indeed fun. Unfortunately, the story is a constant interruption. I mean that literally, it's forced fed down your throat. Every now and then the player will get captured no matter where they are or what they're doing and are forced to participate in story missions with badly written, drawn out cutscenes and standard FPS gameplay despite all the game mechanics nudging you towards focusing on stealth. FC5 is a complete and utter mess.

But anyway!

New Ion Maiden music track and screenshot!

https://twitter.com/Bombshell_Game/status/1060563116331806720

https://twitter.com/Bombshell_Game/status/1059876566593880065

I adore the demoscene style music. Man that brings me back.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
God, what I wouldn't do for a spiritual sequel to FEAR where you run a paranormal SWAT team that has to deal with supernatural threats to national security as the world falls prey to some eldritch horror-stuff.

Basically a horrific mashup of Rainbow 6 and Delta Green (with more roundhouse kicks).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I hope Ion Maiden will fit on a USB so I can play it at work.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GUI posted:

I thought Far Cry 5's ending was funny but I disliked every single character in the game including the mute main protagonist, so "oh and suddenly a nuclear bomb explodes and everyone dies" was the perfect wrap-up to me.

Far Cry 4 did it much better.

That would be cool except that the game's most obnoxious character doesn't die and even gets his lunacy validated.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ChickenHeart posted:

God, what I wouldn't do for a spiritual sequel to FEAR where you run a paranormal SWAT team that has to deal with supernatural threats to national security as the world falls prey to some eldritch horror-stuff.

Basically a horrific mashup of Rainbow 6 and Delta Green (with more roundhouse kicks).

I never knew I wanted this, but now I do!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I loved The Precursors which was basically these devs trying to make Mass Effect. It's so stupid and janky but you can feel the passion in it. It's fun to muck around in for a few hours and then wonder what it would be like in the hands of devs with skill/budget.

Oh hell yeah. It's basically trash but it's fascinating and I adore it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Plan Z posted:

“It turns out they were right” is actually an awesome ending.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ChickenHeart posted:

Wasnt there some clive barker presents game like that a few years back

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Undying isn’t really that, but it is fun and cool. One of those turn of the century games that often gets lost in memory between retro and modern stuff.

e: actually you must be thinking of Jericho. That seems much closer to the mark but I’ve never played it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 13, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Fallom posted:

“It turns out they were right” is actually an awesome ending.

It's really not, at least not in the context of Far Cry 5.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I hope Ion Maiden will fit on a USB so I can play it at work.

There are cheap 128gb usb sticks, even 256gb ones, so sure!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

ChickenHeart posted:

That's sort of Clive Barkers Jericho. It was okay - could have really benefitted from coop though.

Oh and before publisher shenanigans happened, the SWAT 4 devs were working on SWAT 4: What if Zombie Apocalypse. All the tactical gameplay and squad mechanics of SWAT 4, but with slow zombies.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

It's really not, at least not in the context of Far Cry 5.

Hard disagree. The ending scene was nicely chaotic and the twist was competently done and foreshadowed in some interesting ways by the background information in the game. I wouldn't have enjoyed the standard hero ending people seemed to want nearly so much (however, I wouldn't have been screamingly furious about it).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well there's always one.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

exquisite tea posted:

Well there's always one.

Two. :v:

I thought it was fine, and the whole series has bleak “gently caress you you’re an awful monster” endings anyway.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'm okay with the idea, but the execution from what I've seen on youtube seems lacking in a way I can't put my finger on and would probably figure out if I played it. As it stands, to me, it's just kind of... a dumb shock twist ending no matter what?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Far Cry 5's ending is basically saying that you're a terrible person for trying to stop the rapey Evangelical murder cult, and that they were right about the end of the world. :bravo: Ubisoft, you've really made me think.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The problem is that FC5’s ending doesn’t tie in any way thematically with the cult or what they stand for. It isn’t like Pagan Min in FC4 where the player can come around to sympathizing with his point of view when you see just how much worse his opponents are. The PEGIs are only presented as crazy one-dimensional villains who drug and murder people, and their vindication at the end comes as pure happenstance instead of anything they directly engineered themselves. If the game went more into what the cult actually offered to people or allowed the player to see from Joseph Seed’s point of view this would be more effective, but for all their monologuing the villains of the story are really ineffective at making their case. There’s a lot more I could say about how they really don’t work as villains even for the pessimistic sensibilities of Far Cry but I’ll leave it at that. Great music though!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

exquisite tea posted:

[...] Great music though!

Oooonnnlllyyyy yyyooouuuuuuuuuuuu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIGsApQiLI

I had written a long post about Far Cry 5, but then I suddenly got hit by sleep dart and I don’t remember what happened next. Weird!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If they had have done anything interesting at all with the cult other than making them super vaguely motivated psychos it would have been more compelling. Especially when all the talk surrounding the game was trying to highlight how the writers took a hard look at the kind of things that draws people to cults and other abusive organizations, and then you get into the game and it's all like "WE GAVE EVERYONE MIND CONTROL DRUGS gently caress IT"

I find real life cults honestly scary, but my fear comes from people voluntarily joining them and opening themselves up rather than spooky brain drugs and super powers.

Also I didn't know that's how the game ends, that's pretty funny

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I liked my Far Cry 3 and 4 endings, maybe it's just how I took the endings I chose?

In 3, my trust funded rear end bumblefucked into a warzone and my natural impulse was to treat the deaths of my friends and family like it's Eat Pray Love with sleeve tattoos, but as soon as it got a little too real when they wanted me to slash my girlfriend's throat in a ritual rite, I was all "Actually guys, this has been a fun vacation, but I need to get back to my condo, my fern needs watering and I think I missed a payment on my Volvo Golf." It just felt so exactly in-character - no growth after the horrors he's witnessed (or even acknowledgment of the horrors he's caused), just good ol' fashioned moral superiority from the worst mass murderer the island has ever seen. You start as a lovely, entitled tourist, and that's exactly how you end.

In 4, my goal upon arrival was to scatter my mom's ashes. Within ten minutes, the list expanded to scatter my mom's ashes and put a bullet in Pagan's face. I got mixed up in the civil war and local struggles, but my eye was on the prize the whole time, every step moving me closer to his mountain. When I finally arrived, Pagan was waiting with a meal and a monologue, beckoning me to take a seat. I preferred to take a shot. I'm sure he had a lot to say, but if I wanna know what was on his mind I'd need a squeegee and a bucket to get it off the wall. Queue "Should I Stay or Should I Go" and roll credits. I cross the two items off my two item long list and start packing up whatever the stoners haven't stolen from the flop house.

I'll admit that neither are really narratively satisfying, but they lined up perfectly with how I felt about the characters.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ChickenHeart posted:

I would 100% absolutely buy that game.

site posted:

Wasnt there some clive barker presents game like that a few years back

Jericho was so bad, and the worst part about that is that everything except for playing the game itself was good. It had an interesting Clive Barker story; neat, gross locations; interesting characters you could switch between at any time... but the game is basically entirely long corridors with bulletsponge enemies and, though this may just be me, the most interesting powers are also very finicky to use. I hope Clive Barker gets to work on another game at some point, but with two commercially unsuccessful games and one that got cancelled, I doubt we will.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Far Cry 5's ending is basically saying that you're a terrible person for trying to stop the rapey Evangelical murder cult, and that they were right about the end of the world. :bravo: Ubisoft, you've really made me think.

I don't think they ever try to make you sympathize with the cultists so I'd question the former statement. Ubisoft definitely pulled every punch but they still portray the cultists as the bad guys throughout the game from what I recall, at least.

tbh my opinion of the ending is probably colored a little bit by the fact that I grew to hate the game towards the end and was happy to see it all annihilated in a "gently caress you" hellfire

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 13, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fallom posted:

I don't think they ever try to make you sympathize with the cultists so I'd question the former. tbh my opinion of the ending is probably colored a little bit by the fact that I grew to hate the game towards the end and was happy to see it all annihilated in a "gently caress you" hellfire
No matter what you do you get a choice of two bad outcomes. The cult wins and Ubisoft wants you to feel bad about yourself because they've gone impossibly far up their own asses thinking they're clever.

Humanizing cult leaders is probably a mistake. I guess there was some miniseries earlier in the year that retold the Waco story. Except they whitewashed everything Koresh did so their stupid narrative could make it look like he might have had a point. Is it responsible to humanize Jim Jones?

Far Cry 6 will probably just be Ubisoft mailing you a letter that says "gently caress you. You're horrible. Thanks for the $60"

So deep.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The family doesn't win anything, really. You do definitely put a stop to their bullshit. Being correct about their prediction of a modern judgment day doesn't mean they won anything- whether the destruction of hope county at the end is real or a hallucination (it really does work if you assume it is the latter regardless of what Ubi says), they are not going to be doing their cult brainwashing for much longer either way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 13, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

catlord posted:

I would 100% absolutely buy that game.

Jericho was so bad, and the worst part about that is that everything except for playing the game itself was good. It had an interesting Clive Barker story; neat, gross locations; interesting characters you could switch between at any time... but the game is basically entirely long corridors with bulletsponge enemies and, though this may just be me, the most interesting powers are also very finicky to use. I hope Clive Barker gets to work on another game at some point, but with two commercially unsuccessful games and one that got cancelled, I doubt we will.

And to top it all off: the game had something you could barely call an ending. You end up in some kind of watery world to deal with the final boss and said boss instantly kills off two of your teammates. During the boss fight each remaining member of the team has a gimmick it has to use during a certain phase, so the devs basically killed those two people because they couldn’t come up with a gimmick for them. You beat the boss, dive in the water for safety, emerge out of the other side of a tunnel into a huge body of water, the camera moves towards the sky and ???

There is no narration or dialogue to tell you what is going to happen after you beat that final boss. There are 8-bit games that just go “Conglatulations!” and that’s a better ending.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 13, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Joseph and you live and it's implied he that he brainwashes you in the bunker. The other ending implies that you're already brainwashed, kill your friends, and Joseph goes back to business as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean, that is a bummer, but you're both stuck in a nuclear shelter bunker because 50's PSA style atomic bombs just dropped on your heads, assuming the so-called apocalypse was real. Neither of you are going anywhere.