Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1062394700966039554

She got a result from the protest within 2 loving hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Kimsemus posted:

he's not talking about the media as a whole though just the EXECUTIVE PRESS POOL.

reading is hard

lmao

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

no its fine for us to say "i don't like it" but its another to get all huffy about "he can't do that!" because in all likelihood he can. praying for some sort of lawsuit to bail us out on this is stupid and should be challenged.

someone posted about the lawsuit proceeding along the grounds of "that's that dude's job, man. it'll hurt his livelihood" which is absolute nonsense.

stupid poo poo should be challenged, especially in the Debate and Discussion forum

people can be upset, the anger may even be righteous, but get you heads out of your asses about suing and forcing the president to take the guy back.

its not even a full outlet revocation. its just one dude, who most likely did break whatever inane arbitrary rules exist in that space by holding on to the microphone

This isn't about that. This is about the President of the United States booting a reporter out of the press room because he didn't like the question he was being asked. What's to stop him doing it again with April Ryan, for example?

Fox News asked Barack Obama stupid and leaning questions all the time, and yet he and his press secretary would answer them.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

nerdz posted:

this dude is picking and choosing replies that he can argue his dumbass false equivalence with and the thread is falling for it

Yeah! Everyone just nod and look at this cool picture instead:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

mcmagic posted:

it's almost like Pelosi wasn't planning on doing this anyway and just :master: the new girl

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

Poster with stupid racist avatar tries to both sides facism, news at 11

haha i just noticed the avatar. very cool and good combination with defending this action

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

RaySmuckles posted:

no its fine for us to say "i don't like it" but its another to get all huffy about "he can't do that!" because in all likelihood he can. praying for some sort of lawsuit to bail us out on this is stupid and should be challenged.

"This is stupid" isn't an argument. It's more like whining.

quote:

stupid poo poo should be challenged, especially in the Debate and Discussion forum

Stupid poo poo like making up an Obama era banning of Fox News that literally didn't occur except in your head?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kimsemus posted:

it's almost like Pelosi wasn't planning on doing this anyway and just :master: the new girl

The point is that Pelosi felt she had to be responsive to what AOC was doing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

nerdz posted:

this dude is picking and choosing replies that he can argue his dumbass false equivalence with and the thread is falling for it

Well yeah I mean isn't this the point of the new merged thread, there is no other direction this could of gone.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

mcmagic posted:

Holy poo poo. This is really good news because it's the first evidence in a long while that the Party establishment is extremely sensitive to what the progressive wing wants. Good on AOC, what a bad rear end.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The question is not whether "we" can distinguish it, but whether the official White House press officials can distinguish it. Like, it's easy to talk about how some outlets are news and some aren't, but if we want to start asserting a constitutional right for some people to have access to the press room without extending that right to everyone, there needs to be an actual fixed standard that can be fairly and consistently applied. Otherwise it's just up to the arbitrary judgement of whichever official is charged with administering the program.

But that's how it is now. You can't let 300 million Americans into the briefing room. They wouldn't even fit, so of course there has to be some process to accredit news organizations

CNN's argument is that Acosta isn't being excluded because he violated the existing processes but that he is being excluded to punish CNN for reporting facts Trump doesn't like.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Xombie posted:

Yo, this didn't happen. You made it up. It is a lie.

Your entire argument is premised on this lie you made up about Obama banning Fox News.

uh it definitely happened. obama "floated the idea" of banning fox news. he didn't actually follow through with it because there was a lot of push back from other establishment news outlets. he did snub them by not appearing on their shows, and guess what, people got all pissed off about it, particularly other networks who claimed "we're all exactly the same, no difference between us"

like other posters already posted about it upthread?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

AOC should spend her time on more respectable pursuits, like calling donors to beg for money.

quote:

Norah O'Donnell: What has your party said about how members of Congress should raise money?

Rep. Rick Nolan: Well, both parties have told newly elected members of the Congress that they should spend 30 hours a week in the Republican and Democratic call centers across the street from the Congress, dialing for dollars.

Norah O'Donnell: Thirty hours a week?

Rep. Rick Nolan: Thirty hours is what they tell you you should spend. And it's discouraging good people from running for public office. I could give you names of people who've said, "You know, I'd like to go to Washington and help fix problems, but I don't want to go to Washington and become a mid-level telemarketer, dialing for dollars, for crying out loud."

Norah O'Donnell: You're saying members of Congress are becoming like telemarketers?

Rep. Rick Nolan: Well, 30 hours a week, that's a lot of telemarketing. Probably more than most telemarketers do.

The Republican House Campaign Committee would not tell us whether it recommends a specific amount of call time. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee claims it currently does not. But in 2013, at an orientation meeting, new Democratic members were shown a model schedule. It was later published by the Huffington Post.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

RaySmuckles posted:

uh it definitely happened. obama "floated the idea" of banning fox news.

Post proof of this or gently caress off.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'd love to hear from Forums Poster RaySmuckles about what exactly Ted Olson and Ted Boutrous got wrong about the relevant law in that complaint, since you're apparently the expert

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

Assuming that's the right reg, this explains the cause of action under the APA, which I didn't understand.

its the reg cited in th cnn complaint, its a good complaint.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pelosi and Schumer absolutely need to feel afraid of the new blood in the House and I'm hoping the majority of new people elected create a contingent to actually loving Do Things

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

Yeah! Everyone just nod and look at this cool picture instead:

This kid owns

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This isn't about that. This is about the President of the United States booting a reporter out of the press room because he didn't like the question he was being asked. What's to stop him doing it again with April Ryan, for example?

Fox News asked Barack Obama stupid and leaning questions all the time, and yet he and his press secretary would answer them.

What is to stop him, legally speaking? Press rights are a very complicated and often-vague arena of law. Obviously, merely claiming you're a journalist doesn't give you unrestricted access to literally anywhere you wish to go, after all, so there's all sorts of limits and standards that often aren't laid down all that cleanly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

its the reg cited in th cnn complaint, its a good complaint.

sorry I hedged my post with 'if it's the right reg' because for a second i thought that guy saying it was wrong might not be full of poo poo, my bad

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-obamas-feud-with-fox-news/

This is all I found. Other than not going on their shows (which, seriously, who the gently caress cares, none of Fox's "anchors" could hold Obama's jockstrap) and trying a single time to exclude them from a press pool (which they backed down on), this did not happen. He's lying.

E: Ahahahahaha, wow...Obama had NOTHING on the poo poo previous Presidents tried to pull. FDR once tried to get a reporter "jokingly" presented with an Iron Cross because he didn't like how the reporter was covering the war.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

RaySmuckles posted:

uh it definitely happened. obama "floated the idea" of banning fox news.

Nope. Want to try again?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1062391871480193024?s=19

:thunk:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Pelosi was already planning to reinstate the Select Committee on Climate Change, IIRC, so this doesn't represent a concrete change but did maybe direct more attention to it and put that committee's eventual feet to the fire. (It may also mean AOC gets a seat on that committee which would be quite good.)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
hey guys, you know what's like trump banning a reporter from the white house?

Israel loving blowing up an entire goddamn news station.

https://twitter.com/JamalsNews/stat...D237%23lastpost

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Unzip and Attack posted:

here's a story about him boycotting fox news shows and the other news networks rushing in to save fox

i'll try to see if i can find mention of the white house press pass

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xombie posted:

"This is stupid" isn't an argument. It's more like whining.

Stupid poo poo like making up an Obama era banning of Fox News that literally didn't occur except in your head?

They did try to exclude Fox from some things. Just look what a trivial Google search pulled up.

quote:

And the White House has gone beyond words, reports CBS News senior political correspondent Jeff Greenfield. Last Sept. 20, the president went on every Sunday news show - except Chris Wallace's show on FOX. And on Thursday, the Treasury Department tried to exclude FOX News from pool coverage of interviews with a key official. It backed down after strong protests from the press.

"All the networks said, that's it, you've crossed the line," said CBS News White House correspondent Chip Reid.

Tension between presidents and the press is as old as the Republic. FDR was so incensed by the war reporting of one New York Daily News correspondent he tried to present him with an Iron Cross from Nazi Germany. John Kennedy tried to get New York Timesman David Halberstam pulled out of Vietnam; and Vice-President Spiro Agnew's assaults on the network press is legendary.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Nancy Pelosi plans to push for revival of climate change committee in new Congress - posted November 8th

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ooh yeah thanks that's the source I was looking for.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

here's a story about him boycotting fox news shows and the other news networks rushing in to save fox

Boycotting Fox shows is not even remotely the same as what you said. Jesus Christ. Oh, and by the way, I seem to recall a very well-publicized interview he did with Bill O'Reilly at one point, so apparently their policy didn't hold for long.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

That's not the same thing at all as several of us gave pointed out. The president is not obligated to appear in every signle networks talk shows in any manner.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Thinking about doing a thing and doing a thing are exactly the same.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Obama gave multiple interviews with Chris Wallace and Bill O'Reilly as well as going on Fox News Sunday, and that's just the stuff I personally remember.

Not only did Obama "go on Fox News", he has no obligation to do so and equating that to "banning" Fox News is a lie.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
hi, here from the skull-measuring caucus; have you considered that banning the cnn reporter is good actually

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mendrian posted:

Thinking about doing a thing and doing a thing are exactly the same.

I think about punching Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson in their stupid, smug, racist faces all the time. Therefore, I have committed assault; please call the police.

vvv I actually spent a minute looking for AOC's photoshopped face into that below image. :saddowns:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Willa Rogers posted:

AOC should spend her time on more respectable pursuits, like calling donors to beg for money.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

RaySmuckles posted:

Careful you don't trip over yourself running so far away with those goalposts.

quote:

Maybe you should have checked to see if this wasn't complete bullshit before posting it like it was a fact and premising your entire equivalency argument on it?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

hi, here from the skull-measuring caucus; have you considered that banning the cnn reporter is good actually

not at all. I'm not a fan of what Jim Acosta has to say to POTUS but I defend his right to say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Quorum posted:

Ooh yeah thanks that's the source I was looking for.

Lemme guess - Pelosi is going to use this as an excuse to shut AOC out of any future party activities and/or screw her over?