Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

ur wrong

game is saved :smug:

That's a very exotic alien planet with alien vegetation and an alien city in the 30th century

trucutru fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Red Dead Redemption 2 looks 100x better than Star Citizen and it's on consoles.

In fact, I've enjoyed living in the Wild West and not thinking about this absolute poo poo-heap of a game for the last few weeks. It's like I have been freed from the curse, and it has been liberating.

Star Citizen bad. See you in a few weeks.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

trucutru posted:

That's a very exotic alien planet with alien vegetation and an alien city in the 30th century

IT'S AAAAAALPHAAAAAAA

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

kw0134 posted:

So have any of these masterminds explained how ED is a scam, or how any of the hallmarks of a typical scam aren't reflecting a billionfold greater on SC than on ED?

They're deliberately saying that E:D is a scam not because they think it is, but because they know, and everyone else knows, that it obviously isn't. Therefore implying via sarcasm that the accusations of Star Citizen being a scam must also be just as obviously false, and from that the conclusion must further be drawn that Star Citizen must be as finished and valid a game as E:D.

This is how these people think, or as close to thinking as they come.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

IT'S AAAAAALPHAAAAAAA

At least space-agave for the space-tequila minigame has been confirmed!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Does anyone know when Chris Roberts is going to take a note from Richard Garriott and step down as the leader of this ragtag group of non-game-developers? He's gotta be prepping to dodge the incoming missiles.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Does anyone know when Chris Roberts is going to take a note from Richard Garriott and step down as the leader of this ragtag group of non-game-developers? He's gotta be prepping to dodge the incoming missiles.

No CEO, No CEO, you're the CEO.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

As soon as Microsoft forces him to step down.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
200 million stretch goal: Train Platforms

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Scruffpuff posted:

They're deliberately saying that E:D is a scam not because they think it is, but because they know, and everyone else knows, that it obviously isn't. Therefore implying via sarcasm that the accusations of Star Citizen being a scam must also be just as obviously false, and from that the conclusion must further be drawn that Star Citizen must be as finished and valid a game as E:D.

This is how these people think, or as close to thinking as they come.
I'm sorry this is immensely idiotic, you must be explaining it wrong. No one could be this stupid.

Narrator's voice: they are

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Daztek posted:

ur wrong

game is saved :smug:

This is beautiful. I'm so excited for the upcoming procedurally generated fauna. I will be a bird watcher and stream my findings to lonely space cowboys all over the 'verse.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

JugbandDude posted:

This is beautiful. I'm so excited for the upcoming procedurally generated fauna. I will be a bird watcher and stream my findings to lonely space cowboys all over the 'verse.

You really should buy an Endeavor with space telescope gear.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

FTR stream: Star Citizen really looks saved (from fun)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kw0134 posted:

I'm sorry this is immensely idiotic, you must be explaining it wrong. No one could be this stupid.

Narrator's voice: they are

So, Hurston. I've complained about this before, because it's tiny. Given the same density as Earth, a rocky planet, it has 0.19G at surface.

To give Hurston a gravity close to that of earth, 1G or around 9.8m/s, you'll have to increase it's density to around 28000 kg/m^3 or 28 tonnes per cubic meter. Because density is normally measured in g/cm^3, this comes to 28 g/cm^3.

Uranium is 19.1
Osmium is 22.9
Tungstun is 19.3

(White Dwarf material is 1000000, but gets close to degeneracy; Neutron material is degenerate because there's not a lot of space between things.)

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 13, 2018

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

JugbandDude posted:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Is atmospheric planet the latest buzz word ?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

JugbandDude posted:

That thread someone started years ago by some goon on the CIG forum about if bird-strikes would be modeled in-game was one of my favorite parts of the SC saga. He had them really going and speculating bird-strike gameplay lmao.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Coming Soon To Alpha 4.7.3:
  • Moons
  • Birds

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

To celebrate this latest milestone achievement in Star Citizen the greatest game of all time, please buy one of my custom PC cases

Available now for only $1000 US new money only please

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
"Okay, so Chris asked us to write all this lore for some city they're putting in. Except he didn't tell us what the city should be called. Any suggestions?"

"Lore for a city, you say?"

"Yep."

"Hmm. Lore. City. Lore-city?"

"Maybe. Sounds good to me."

"No wait, I got it..."

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

kw0134 posted:

So have any of these masterminds explained how ED is a scam, or how any of the hallmarks of a typical scam aren't reflecting a billionfold greater on SC than on ED?

They are archering our FUD campaigns to use for their own purposes. More stolen goon valor

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Scruffpuff posted:

As soon as Joe Ponsford get his driver's license so he can drive the company Porsche.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

So, Hurston. I've complained about this before, because it's tiny. Given the same density as Earth, a rocky planet, it has 0.19G at surface.

To give Hurston a gravity close to that of earth, 1G or around 9.8m/s, you'll have to increase it's density to around 28000 kg/m^3 or 28 tonnes per cubic meter. Because density is normally measured in g/cm^3, this comes to 28 g/cm^3.

Uranium is 19.1
Osmium is 22.9
Tungstun is 19.3

(White Dwarf material is 1000000, but gets close to degeneracy; Neutron material is degenerate because there's not a lot of space between things.)

They added some gravity goo to the core. There, problem solved.

Nobody complains about the density required for earth-like gravity in Mario Galaxy, and that game is about as realistic as Star Citizen.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

To celebrate this latest milestone achievement in Star Citizen the greatest game of all time, please buy one of my custom PC cases

Available now for only $1000 US new money only please

How much worth of fans can you put in one of those?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

What's the in-game publishing environment like, I want to write actual novels in the game.

That or be a space gastroenterologist.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

I think Crobberts will go down with the ship. To him Star Citizen is his triumphant return to gaming as well as the foundation of his triumphant return to Hollywood, there's no way he's gonna let go of either of those.

It's kinda odd, when you get right down to it Star Citizen really is Dreams from top to bottom.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9wqzh8/to_whoever_is_driving_people_over_at_the_lorville/

I told you guys Star Citizen is good now and here is PROOF

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

They added some gravity goo to the core. There, problem solved.

Nobody complains about the density required for earth-like gravity in Mario Galaxy, and that game is about as realistic as Star Citizen.

Okay, doing that changes your orbital momentum and bye-bye planet.

Mario Galaxy didn't attempt to suggest that it was a high fidelity simulation, bitch about Elite: Dangerous for years and then attempt to suggest a planet the size of a small Island can retain a quasi-breathable atmosphere. In fact, I eschew your Mario talk entirely, for I am a Sony boy and we did not Nintendo.

I bet their rotational period is hosed up, too.

Like someone tell me what the day/night period is like on Hurston. That and it's escape velocity are going to make for science based hilarity*. (2 km/s for earth density, 4km/s for goo-enhanced tiny world with an exotic core; The Earth is 11km/s)

* edit: Like how much of a component of the final escape velocity could be provided by rotation, for example.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 13, 2018

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

They want to beat Rockstar at their game, this looks like the right direction.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

a mysterious cloak posted:

What's the in-game publishing environment like, I want to write actual novels in the game.

I'm so excited to live out my fantasy careers in the groundbreaking immersive universe that is Star Citizen pre-alpha.

Dr. Tinfoil, Space Podiatrist at your service!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Hav posted:

Okay, doing that changes your orbital momentum and bye-bye planet.

Mario Galaxy didn't attempt to suggest that it was a high fidelity simulation, bitch about Elite: Dangerous for years and then attempt to suggest a planet the size of a small Island can retain a quasi-breathable atmosphere. In fact, I eschew your Mario talk entirely, for I am a Sony boy and we did not Nintendo.

I bet their rotational period is hosed up, too.

Like someone tell me what the day/night period is like on Hurston. That and it's escape velocity are going to make for science based hilarity.

The only gravitation Chris Roberts cares about is the kind that pulls money out of a moron's wallet and into his orbit and Hurfston seems to do just that. His partial semester of fizziks is paying off.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

a mysterious cloak posted:

Just go be a gynocologist. CIG probably won't have any women in the game, so you'll basically never need to work.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

JugbandDude posted:

Difference between Rockstar and Roberts is quite simple. Roberts did grand theft in real life.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

The only gravitation Chris Roberts cares about is the kind that pulls money out of a moron's wallet and into his orbit and Hurfston seems to do just that. His partial semester of fizziks is paying off.

Yep, but some of those nerds with loose wallets are actually invested in 'space' as a concept, and got told very early what this game would be about, with the words 'simulation' being thrown around, along with 'physics'. Procedural birbs are almost trivial to produce; they're a subset of NMS, but loving with the fundamental forces of the universe produces the same kind of cartoon universe the 'backers' decry every time they talk about what SC will be.

It's a sharper and sharper relief, every iteration. Like I'm constantly amused that their spaceships can't achieve escape velocity. Constantly.

Mustang at full afterburner (1,160.0 m/s) for example.

Bofast posted:

Just go be a gynocologist. CIG probably won't have any women in the game, so you'll basically never need to work.

Bernie Rhing, Proctologist.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm so excited to live out my fantasy careers in the groundbreaking immersive universe that is Star Citizen pre-alpha.

Dr. Tinfoil, Space Podiatrist at your service!

I, a backer, want to fly around in a sewage ship emptying out space septic tanks and delivering the poop to the waste treatment planet.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Pixelate posted:

Ooo, missed this one.

So that's Jon Jones then, the ex Lead Facial Animator who 'built up Derby studio for Foundry 42'. (Same job title listed in July after his departure, then again in Oct.)

I'm sure you've seen it SJ, but just in case you haven't, this was a glorious aside recently about similar territory:

Preaching to the choir here but they haven't been able to hire anyone with experience, because anyone with experience can see it's a total shitshow.

There is one (very) recent exception with a highly regarded and experienced person stepping into a senior role previously occupied by another highly regarded experienced person - who had quit because it's a total shitshow.

What they have managed to pull off is getting the engine to handle bigger and bigger assets.

However nothing underneath it works. Seems like a lot of people have watched the 3.3.5 streams, I had a streamer called Sitarow on in the background last night for a couple of hours with the sound off.

The engine can't do any basic engine stuff, like at all. Movement, collisions, AI, it doesn't talk to the databases properly, the co ordinate system issues are obvious, etc etc. No one is making a commercial game out of it, not ever.

It's a bunch of kids who want to work in games keeping Chris Roberts happy.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Difference between Rockstar and Roberts is quite simple. Roberts did grand theft in real life.

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

JugbandDude posted:

CIG really can’t start selling shark cards and invincible rocket motorcycles soon enough.

:v: