Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

univbee posted:

You're going to be so jealous of my rocket horse.

Yeah, the only TVs made anymore are in 4K, right? Or at least 1080p, right?

Oh.

Finding a 1080p 32" TV in 2018 is a proper hunt. The manufacturers obviously know that only people who don't know any better (so they get the HD Ready crap) or people with space constraints (who will begrudgingly pay a premium - the model I got for my parents cost more than the 43" 4K alternative) want them at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

Finding a 1080p 32" TV in 2018 is a proper hunt. The manufacturers obviously know that only people who don't know any better (so they get the HD Ready crap) or people with space constraints (who will begrudgingly pay a premium - the model I got for my parents cost more than the 43" 4K alternative) want them at this point.

Yeah, sub-40" TVs are almost always below 1080p so it gets interesting if you're buying a TV that small explicitly to fit in somewhere like, for example, a cabinet that was designed for a CRT when anything over 30" was insane. Most of my parents' TVs were bought with space limitations in mind and I think only one TV (the one that didn't have space limitations) can do 1080p, but all it has is a cable box connected to it which tops out at 720p streams so welp.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

The internet can be wonderful sometimes. Thank you!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So does this come with a digital version of 13? Because that never got a digital version.

Ill rebuy it, the best Final Fantasy

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

the best Final Fantasy

:blastu:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Barudak posted:

So does this come with a digital version of 13? Because that never got a digital version.

Yep, it's available right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To be fair that NeoGAF poster wasn't wrong, Square-Enix has been in a downward spiral since FFXIII came out.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Barudak posted:

You can buy a used 360 disc and entering it into the console will automatically start downloading the X1X enhanced version. You still need the disc as DRM, though.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

I said come in! posted:

To be fair that NeoGAF poster wasn't wrong, Square-Enix has been in a downward spiral since FFXIII came out.

It has nothing to do with 13 being released on a Microsoft console though. It has to do with 13 being released period.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

It has nothing to do with 13 being released on a Microsoft console though. It has to do with 13 being released period.

True.

Although this reminds me of Konami actually making a strategic move by not officially releasing the 360 version of Metal Gear Revengeance in Japan, instead making the Western versions all-region and have Japanese subtitles as an option. According to those behind the decision, they specifically said releasing a game on the Xbox 360 formally in Japan would make them look weak.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

You can buy a used 360 disc and entering it into the console will automatically start downloading the X1X enhanced version. You still need the disc as DRM, though.

Thats what i dont want. Death to physical

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

univbee posted:

True.

Although this reminds me of Konami actually making a strategic move by not officially releasing the 360 version of Metal Gear Revengeance in Japan, instead making the Western versions all-region and have Japanese subtitles as an option. According to those behind the decision, they specifically said releasing a game on the Xbox 360 formally in Japan would make them look weak.

Maybe that NeoGAF poster is an expert afterall. :iiam:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

nah, they hit rock fuckin bottom with ff8, the actual worst game ever made. and then they never recovered from that.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Alright, let's get this train a-rollin'.

Having never played a FF game before 7, my order is 9>7>10>8. Everything else has been too action focused and just not for me.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

BisterdDave posted:

Having never played a FF game before 7, my order is 9>7>10>8. Everything else has been too action focused and just not for me.

yeah combat in 15 is what made me quit mid game

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

BisterdDave posted:

Having never played a FF game before

This is me. They never struck me as something I should care about. I really don't play a ton of Japanese games, doubly true for RPGs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

nah, they hit rock fuckin bottom with ff8, the actual worst game ever made. and then they never recovered from that.

Sounds right, that's around when they merged with Enix to avoid Spirits Within-induced bankruptcy.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Imagine my surprise when buying lightning returns expecting the worst and instead ending up with a pretty good valkyrie profile game instead.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I liked Lightning as a character

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Over There posted:

I liked Lightning as a character

Lightning's an awesome character, it was always the combat I couldn't jive with. I also prefer LOTR-style fantasy over future tech stuff too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I remember playing FF8 right on the tail end of that age where you don't really have a concept of "bad" movies or games or music. It's all just stuff that's neat and some of them you like more than others.

The "hey we were all in the same orphanage and the bad guy was our nanny!" moment in FF8 was pretty much the dam breaking on that. I remember an immediate feeling of "oh, ok...things like stories in major media can actually suck rear end, wow" and from that point on I started forming opinions on things in terms of whether they were bad or good.

FF8 was that bad.

It's actually really wild because I was a huge fan of FF7 and I was mostly very into everything 8 was doing up to that point. Loved the designs, the "school" plot going on at the start, etc. And then I hit that poo poo like a brick wall lmfao.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Final Fantasy 8 is better than 9 full stop and if you think XIII-2 is better than 13 you like movies more than gameplay.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Beastie posted:

Same. That and updating the controller or a full reboot.

Finally got it to work by forgetting the wireless network and doing the cold reboot. Guess it prevents it from starting up whatever's interfering with it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Barudak posted:

Final Fantasy 8 is better than 9

gently caress thats an awful take

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Over There posted:

yeah combat in 15 is what made me quit mid game

I also wasnt a big fan but i stuck it out and the original version of the game got insanely bad at the end it looped around into being really funny for me. I heard they fixed it to make it less funny bad tho

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
8 was so bad I never even finished 9 or any other FF game beyond it so there's that

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I wish FF Tactics on my 'bone was a thing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

owls or something posted:

My personal all time classic Final Fantasy story: When I first got a PS1 I was probably around age 14, and my younger brother was 8. The very first (non demo-disc) game I got for some reason was Final Fantasy Tactics and I had to play it raw with nothing but the instruction book and in-game menu stuff (which I didn't really want to study anyway) to guide me. I spent at least a year trying to figure out how to get past the first difficulty spike (Argus fight? idk).

My brother had an awesome habit of trying to play it too even though he knew even less than I did and always managing to save over my save slot, making me start over many many times. Anyways I remember after years of trying I finally got to some point past the "whoa all the catholic priests are actually demons!" fight and once again he saved over that game. I got so mad I never played it on PS1 again, was extremely mad at him for about as long as you really can be mad at a brother that you live with. I remember demanding my parents punish him for it in a very serious way lmfao.

10 years later I bought the game on PSP and had the internet teach me about grinding and proper job-system management and I ended up beating it. I called him immediately after and told him it only took a whole decade but I finally beat FFT without his dumb loving rear end saving over my game.

Also when I did beat it I didn't really realize it when I had passed the point of no return for the endgame and that you can't go back and freely grind/recruit around the open map after a certain point and I had already filled my save slots with saves past that point.

so in the end: I had basically "saved over" my own game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

owls or something posted:

Id prefer they dont port the worst FF game to any more devices if instead I could get good ones.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Barudak posted:

Id prefer they dont port the worst FF game to any more devices if instead I could get good ones.

:hfive:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

8 was so bad I never even finished 9 or any other FF game beyond it so there's that

8 put me off the entire jrpg genre for over a decade. it is atrocious.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I remember playing FF8 right on the tail end of that age where you don't really have a concept of "bad" movies or games or music. It's all just stuff that's neat and some of them you like more than others.

The "hey we were all in the same orphanage and the bad guy was our nanny!" moment in FF8 was pretty much the dam breaking on that. I remember an immediate feeling of "oh, ok...things like stories in major media can actually suck rear end, wow" and from that point on I started forming opinions on things in terms of whether they were bad or good.

FF8 was that bad.

that isn't even the worst part of that terrible, terrible game.

the worst part is when squall and rinoa are in space, floating in space suits, running out of oxygen, when out of nowhere a ship that's been lost in orbit for 50 years just happens to float right over to where they are and just happens to still be full of oxygen, thus saving them.

i stopped playing the game at that point because it was so aggressively fuckin stupid. i eventually finished the game and it continues being aggressively stupid after that point, too. gently caress ff8.

it says a lot that square is bringing a bunch of other final fantasy games to xbox one and ff8 isn't one of them. even they fuckin know it's poo poo.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 13, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

Final Fantasy 8 is better than 9 full stop and if you think XIII-2 is better than 13 you like movies more than gameplay.

Barudak posted:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Have you noticed that 15 is pretty much the inverse of 13, map-wise? Giant open area with sidequests and stuff to gently caress around with followed by a 20-hour corridor, instead of a 20-hour corridor followed by a giant open area with sidequests and stuff to gently caress around with.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ruffian Price posted:

Have you noticed that 15 is pretty much the inverse of 13, map-wise? Giant open area with sidequests and stuff to gently caress around with followed by a 20-hour corridor, instead of a 20-hour corridor followed by a giant open area with sidequests and stuff to gently caress around with.

they did xiii that way on purpose instead of because they had to after loving up for a decade at making a game and needing to ship asap

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Real hurthling! posted:

they did xiii that way on purpose instead of because they had to after loving up for a decade at making a game and needing to ship asap

What’s it like to have a stroke?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hard to type and laugh at ffxiii's design
mea culpa

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Final fantasy games are all bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

13 doesnt really open up, Grand Pulse is side and post-game content and you can hustle through it back into linear dungeons immediately if you choose.

Hell, the only non-combat sidequest in the game isnt even in there.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

BisterdDave posted:

10 had the best turn based combat, no waiting. I remember wanting an explicit list of what elements/debuffs the enemies are weak/strong/immune against. Iirc "scan" or whatever just showed the attributes one after the other and you had to try to remember which were not mentioned.

I also liked 12's combat a lot, but then again I'm a programmer so setting up conditions and actions is something I actually enjoy :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Wheany posted:

I also liked 12's combat a lot, but then again I'm a programmer so setting up conditions and actions is something I actually enjoy :kiddo:

I think 12 is underrated as hell. I really liked that one.