Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sludge Tank posted:

ive been doing heaps mobility work. seeing a separate coach specifically for mobility, shes written me warmup/stretching programs specifically tailored to each strongman block i do. also seeing a physio massage therapist.

the mobility work has been targetting my hips a lot. ive got a really hosed imbalance in my hips that has translated into my whole left side being weaker.

tl;dr do stretches
I kinda have this problem. The squat problem. Well, I can't get depth for poo poo. I'm thinking about going back to high bar and doing mobility work.

My quads and lower back aren't even sore from squatting, though. I can't squat enough weight to do that. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
post a vid i might be able to help based on advice given to me.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
can you hit depth with an empty bar? Then you don't need any mobility work

Khorne
May 1, 2002

feelix posted:

can you hit depth with an empty bar? Then you don't need any mobility work
I can get deeper with 225+ on the bar than with less than that. I have a really short torso and pretty long legs.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
oh then idk

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yoga more dangerous than previously thought, scientists say

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Ahah! My strategy of never doing any kind of stretching pays off in the end!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Foot position chat: there's a guy at the gym who does rear end to grass squats with his heels about 6-8" apart. His snatch lands exactly the same position.

He has the body composition of a string bean so there's that too. He's pretty good in his weight class.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Killing Loaf posted:

Y'all daddy long legs fuckers should consider getting high heel squat shoes

I got the Adidas Leistung 16 IIs (1 inch heel) on sale and hitting depth on high bar and front squats feels a lot better

Try elevating your heels on a plate first I guess so you don't find out you hate a big heel after buying expensive shoes though

I don't think heel height matters so much for low bar ???

I also got the Leistungs on sale a few weeks ago. The extra quarter inch compared to my Adipowers is great. Squatting without shoes is now impossible.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
My LA fitness stopped playing music and has tyde commercials on loop and it has been packed at 5 am ever since the time changed. Also all the benches are crooked except one. Sorry for ranting

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
that sounds like hell on earth

i just invested loving $350AU in a pair of Bose soundsport free wireless bluetooth earphones and despite being expensive as gently caress its absolite heaven on earth having completely wireless, decent sounding earphones in the gym. no idea how humans survived so long withoit killing each other in lovely crowded loud commerical music filled.gyms with tangled rear end loving headphone cables all the time

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 13, 2018

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Yeah I really need some good wireless earphones. I go through 20 dollar skull candy corded ones about once a month because the plug always breaks from being in my pocket at work from getting down on my knees/sitting on the floor a lot. And I don't use earphones now at the gym because of the wires.

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundSp...2Bwireless&th=1

These the ones you got? I didn't know they made wireless with actually no wire around your neck.

Fallows fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 13, 2018

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
yeah those are the ones. i had the ones with the wires connecting the two as well but they got stolen from my car. they were ok but the wire around the back of your neck was still annoying and sometimes pulled them out of your ears with rigorous movement.

the completely wireless ones are absolute heaven
not as loud as id like but im kinda deaf but theyre great. sound amazing too
lots of bass which i need

got so loving sick of wires. never again.

im not sure what the battery life is on the bose wireless ones but i got two full 3 hour sessions out of them before i needed to recharge the case (they charge inside the little carry case) so i giess youll get 6+ hours out of them at full noise which is decent

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 13, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fallows posted:

Yeah I really need some good wireless earphones. I go through 20 dollar skull candy corded ones about once a month because the plug always breaks from being in my pocket at work from getting down on my knees/sitting on the floor a lot. And I don't use earphones now at the gym because of the wires.

These the ones you got? I didn't know they made wireless with actually no wire around your neck.

If you have an iPhone AirPods for lyfe.

Not having a wire is amazing really.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i had the bose soundsport free and they were good for a bit then just dc randomly. now i have airpods and they are very good and slim

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
glad i paid 50 dollarydoos for the warranty then

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My Jaybirds are just fine I guess. Charging them is annoying but otherwise I'm not that picky.

Emulator
Sep 20, 2007
perma-nub

Fallows posted:

I was in the same boat and had been shopping 'truly' wireless earbuds for a bit. I picked these up a few months back and they are pretty amazing:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Dynamic-Earphones-Connectivity-Tortoiseshell/dp/B07H8S4N36

Audio quality is by far the best I've heard in any earbuds, wired or wireless. The battery life is only good for a few hours at a clip (more than enough for the gym though) and I just leave them in the charging case in my car mostly (I charge the case once a week).

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Fallows posted:

I have these and they are great. My only minor problem was when i first got them they would maybe once a month drop connection when outside. Hasn’t happened since.

I really do like the I lost my ear phone feature where they make a noise or you use the gps to find the case.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
thinking about joining LA Fitness for that sweet steam room/sauna, but i wont give them the 99 bucks down again out of principle. wheres my WE WANT YOU BACK email offer.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Bose soundsport sits well and has great sound. The iphone airpods are a bit iffy with sound quality and have a tendency to fall out of people’s ears

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KinkyJohn posted:

Bose soundsport sits well and has great sound. The iphone airpods are a bit iffy with sound quality and have a tendency to fall out of people’s ears

I’ve never had mine fall out doing anything from running to lifting to whatever else.

Yeah they aren’t perfect for everyone but they are drat good for most people.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I started lifting again (baby weights) and my knee hurts, lol

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Dum Cumpster posted:

I started lifting again (baby weights) and my knee hurts, lol

hey guy

your recommendation of adding rowing machine into my routine pretty much completely fixed my weightlifter's shoulder and I was able to increase my upper body pushing volume

Now my elbow hurts, what do I do now

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

feelix posted:

hey guy

your recommendation of adding rowing machine into my routine pretty much completely fixed my weightlifter's shoulder and I was able to increase my upper body pushing volume

Now my elbow hurts, what do I do now

Unfortunately I don't have a trick for that one yet. Only time I've gotten elbow pain was when I was doing a lot of pullups so I just stopped those.

Wild guess, jamming something like a lacrosse ball into your calf will help stop tension and relieve knee pain, so you might be able to do something like that with your forearm or tricep, depending on where the pain is. You'll know where to apply pressure because it will hurt like hell, and the relief in the joint will be almost instant. Alfalfa taught me that, so if you can track him down he probably has a better answer.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
If you're dealing with pain while lifting you should really pay attention to Barbell Medicine. Unfortunately they don't have a single "go-to" link for explaining modern pain research and how it affects training but there are a few decent articles that hit on a few main points.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/the-science-of-where-your-pain-comes-from/

quote:

As we’ve discussed elsewhere, treatment of chronic back pain is far more complex than blaming and treating one specific structure. It requires comprehensive assessment of biological and/or structural factors, psychological factors such as catastrophizing, kinesiophobia, fear avoidance, and other associated beliefs/expectations from social contextual factors.

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/backpain/

quote:

In the end, I wasted an entire year and thousands of dollars paying people to treat me, and ultimately my back felt no better for it *le sigh*. Don’t be me.

And don’t get me wrong– there are good, well-informed doctors out there who are up to date with the research and not afraid to adapt (Austin and Jordan being prime examples). However, your standard run of the mill doctor or therapist at this point in time is possibly going to hurt you more than they help you. This is why I urge you to do your research, and look to someone who understands both the principles of progressive overload and pain science to help treat you. No one else is worthy of your time or dollars.

https://startingstrength.com/article/aches-and-pains

quote:

Pain: everyone has felt it, whether they train with barbells or not. It’s part of the human condition to feel aches, pains, and tweaks of the neck, back, shoulders, knees, ankles, and just about everywhere else. Sometimes we can point to an immediate precipitating cause or injury and sometimes not. Sometimes the pain gets better quickly, and sometimes it lingers for days, weeks, or even years. As coaches, we get asked about aches and pains all the time, and since we like to analyze barbell training in terms of physics and classical mechanics, we’re tempted to treat the human body the same way when searching for an explanation for pain. We carefully watch people move as though they were robots, looking for the “bolt” that’s loose, the “screw” that might be a bit too tight, or the “alignment” that’s just a bit off.

Unfortunately when it comes to pain, this sort of rigid mechanical analysis doesn’t always lead to a satisfying outcome in musculoskeletal diagnosis the way it does in barbell training, and in this article I hope to explain why. We’ll also discuss some implications for treatment as currently practiced in medicine, physical therapy, and other associated fields.

They also have a lot of material on video and audio media (podcasts and interviews) that I haven't really investigated since I don't have a good time or way to listen to them.

This one is short and good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwj5ORPmX0

I highly recommend joining the "Barbell Medicine" Facebook group since it's very active and has a lot of discussion of pain and injury in the context of lifting weights, and members can post asking for advice. Both the founding members of BBM, Drs. Jordan Feigenbaum and Austin Baraki are active in the group and keep it focused, as well as other BBM professionals.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
le sigh

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
pain? in MY workouts? it's more common than you think.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

thinking about joining LA Fitness for that sweet steam room/sauna, but i wont give them the 99 bucks down again out of principle. wheres my WE WANT YOU BACK email offer.

Go talk to the sales manager, tell them what you desire.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
also holy gently caress i got to try out one of those Tim Tam theraguns the other day and gently caress they are amazing
never could anticipated they feel as loving incredible as they do. but lol gently caress paying $700 for one. a local guy makes jigsaw attachments out of golf balls so grabbing one of those instead.

10/10 muscle orgasmic feels

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

also holy gently caress i got to try out one of those Tim Tam theraguns the other day and gently caress they are amazing
never could anticipated they feel as loving incredible as they do. but lol gently caress paying $700 for one. a local guy makes jigsaw attachments out of golf balls so grabbing one of those instead.

10/10 muscle orgasmic feels

I made one of those Jigsaw guns and I think it cost me about $90 total. I have a lacrosse ball and golf ball attachments and they both work great.

Its super simple to make one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How much do those cryotherapy chambers cost and will I be able to convince my gym to buy one?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I've been farting around doing different ab exercises when my workout calls for abwork and holy gently caress the ab wheel owns and sucks

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I was just gonna do the requisite 5 reps of 190 bench today because my elbow hurt but it felt too easy so I did 11 which is a PR

Probably shouldn't have done that

Epic humble brag

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
where was the brag

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Emulator posted:

I was in the same boat and had been shopping 'truly' wireless earbuds for a bit. I picked these up a few months back and they are pretty amazing:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Dynamic-Earphones-Connectivity-Tortoiseshell/dp/B07H8S4N36

Audio quality is by far the best I've heard in any earbuds, wired or wireless. The battery life is only good for a few hours at a clip (more than enough for the gym though) and I just leave them in the charging case in my car mostly (I charge the case once a week).

😲😲😲
holy poo poo
i know what im getting myself for christmas next year

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

CheesyDog posted:

where was the brag

would you be more impressed if I told you that I achieved this feat of strength at the feather-light bodyweight of 223 pounds?

:smithicide:

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Anyone else had any issues with preworkout being much more potent seemingly out of nowhere?

Took a couple days off due to man-flu, which I wouldn't have thought would be long enough to lose my caffeine tolerance, but I don't drink anything else caffeinated so I guess it could be possible.
Did not sleep a loving wink last night as every time I would start to relax, I would get really shakey - almost like I was vibrating.

Never had that feeling from C4 before and to be honest it felt more like the onset of low blood sugar, but I checked that several times throughout the night and it was normal.
Could have been dehydration I guess? I only drank about 20 fl oz during my workout and I had to get up to piss about 4 times in 4 hours...

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
There's all sorts of filler in that stuff besides the active ingredients, unless it happens again, maybe you just had an unusually potent scoop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
I think it just was dehydration - I just slammed down a shaker bottle full of water and the lovely shakey feeling has gone now.

I have noticed lately that I seem to avoid drinking anything during the evening so my morning scale weight is lower while I am cutting. Think I need to knock that on the head right loving now...