Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1062391577807601664?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1062394700966039554

She got a result from the protest within 2 loving hours.

This woman will take over the world one day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

What is to stop him, legally speaking? Press rights are a very complicated and often-vague arena of law. Obviously, merely claiming you're a journalist doesn't give you unrestricted access to literally anywhere you wish to go, after all, so there's all sorts of limits and standards that often aren't laid down all that cleanly.

eke out posted:

sorry I hedged my post with 'if it's the right reg' because for a second i thought that guy saying it was wrong might not be full of poo poo, my bad

Eh, you can make an argument that the existing reg applies only to denials for security reasons, not to arbitrary and capricious denials because the President personally dislikes the reporter, but . .. that's not a good argument to be making

Haha, didn't realize that CFR line was in response to an actual previous case decision. Yeah. This is not gonna go well for the White House.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Somehow this is more evidence that the Dems are bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just gonna talk about my secret information on twitter.

:lol: America the joke.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

News: Trump ordered the dog pound burning that killed 200 dogs.

Thread: Trump is a horrible piece of poo poo.

RaySmuckles: But Obama advocated that dogs be spayed or neutered one time. So why is that ok for Obama to do and not Trump?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sure, Donny, just like all those other times you let us know you failed like

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pollyanna posted:

Lemme guess - Pelosi is going to use this as an excuse to shut AOC out of any future party activities and/or screw her over?

The whole thing looks choreographed to me to give Pelosi and AOC both more bona fides -- Pelosi with the base and AOC by showing she can work with the party agenda. I mean, good?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

God, if things go bad and the missiles start flying the last person I want to hear from is that putrid sack of mashed potatoes.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

RaySmuckles posted:

here's a story about him boycotting fox news shows and the other news networks rushing in to save fox

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-obamas-feud-with-fox-news/

i'll try to see if i can find mention of the white house press pass

You are a liar and you should not post in this thread.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

She got a result in negative 5 days. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/11/08/politics/climate-change-committee-democrats-congress-pelosi/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

cnn.com posted:

Pelosi recently told The New York Times in an interview that she plans to ask House Democrats to set up a select committee that would be similar to the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming, which operated from 2007 up until 2011 when Republicans took back control of the House from Democrats.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Pollyanna posted:

Lemme guess - Pelosi is going to use this as an excuse to shut AOC out of any future party activities and/or screw her over?

Nah, this was well managed by all parties to get an outcome where everyone looks good. AOC looks like she gets results, Pelosi looks like she's actually listening to the people, there's not video of screaming protestors being pepper sprayed or forcefully dragged out of Pelosi's office.

It's a win win.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

But that's how it is now. You can't let 300 million Americans into the briefing room. They wouldn't even fit, so of course there has to be some process to accredit news organizations

CNN's argument is that Acosta isn't being excluded because he violated the existing processes but that he is being excluded to punish CNN for reporting facts Trump doesn't like.

Sure, but that's CNN's argument - that they previously had the access but that it was arbitrarily revoked without good reason. That's a common principle governing many executive branch actions: outside of clearly political stuff, executive decisionmaking is supposed to be governed by the facts and the law, so an executive agency shouldn't change a decision it's already made unless either the facts or the law change.

That's quite a bit different from the sweeping statements about all journalism that many posters are making here, though.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

"I didn't get played! I didn't get played!", corncob, etc

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Didn't Pelosi already state that she was going to have a select committee on climate change?

I wonder if AOC and Pelosi coordinated this. AOC and the DSA get a big policy win early on and make it look like Pelosi's doing what they want, and Pelosi gains an ally on the Left for the price of being humiliated a little and doing exactly what she already wanted to do.

edit: to be clear, Pelosi taking AOC under her wing is an objectively good thing as it means she's being groomed for leadership despite not even being in office yet.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Somehow this is more evidence that the Dems are bad.

https://twitter.com/rezaaslan/status/1062067391612432384?s=21
Imagine thinking republicans are eager to expand voting rights

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kimsemus posted:

not at all. I'm not a fan of what Jim Acosta has to say to POTUS but I defend his right to say it.

Kimsemus posted:

counterpoint: just for sake of argument, CNN can just send anyone not jim acosta.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

aware of dog posted:

How the hell is Aslan so stupid as to think that Republicans care about expanding voting rights? Has he been paying attention?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

aware of dog posted:

That's one take, I guess. "This bill does TOO MANY good things!"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

Obama gave multiple interviews with Chris Wallace and Bill O'Reilly as well as going on Fox News Sunday, and that's just the stuff I personally remember.

Not only did Obama "go on Fox News", he has no obligation to do so and equating that to "banning" Fox News is a lie.

The quote I posted shows that the White House did try to exclude Fox from press pools, but immediately did a 180 after they saw how the rest of the WH press corps reacted to that trial balloon.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure, but that's CNN's argument - that they previously had the access but that it was arbitrarily revoked without good reason. That's a common principle governing many executive branch actions: outside of clearly political stuff, executive decisionmaking is supposed to be governed by the facts and the law, so an executive agency shouldn't change a decision it's already made unless either the facts or the law change.

That's quite a bit different from the sweeping statements about all journalism that many posters are making here, though.

those sweeping statements make sense because their first cause of action is the first amendment claim and it's the far broader argument that actually matters here.

the 5th and APA claims are just "they can do this, but they did it wrong in this instance" and while procedural complaints may be the heart of administrative law they're boring af

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Kimsemus posted:

not at all. I'm not a fan of what Jim Acosta has to say to POTUS but I defend his right to say it.
Was there a specific question of Acosta's that you didn't like, or just the general concept of people being mean to Trump?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skex posted:

They are objectively and demonstrably incorrect.

They really aren't. There is no fundamental difference between FOX and CNN; both act as propaganda vehicles with a heavy ideological bias that they falsely claim doesn't exist. There's only a difference in degree.

edit: One can obviously argue that they think the ideological slant of FOX is worse than that of CNN (or MSNBC or whatever), but that's a different argument than claiming they're fundamentally different in nature and that FOX is somehow propaganda in a way those other stations aren't*. So this isn't some "both sides" thing, since you can simultaneously think that FOX is, on the whole, worse than (for example) CNN, while also realizing that the latter isn't somehow a "real" news organizations in a way that former isn't.

edit2: A good example might be coverage of Yemen. Someone mentioned earlier how FOX isn't "real news" because it doesn't cover things inconvenient to Trump/Republicans. But the same is basically true for other US news with other topics (like Yemen which went almost entirely uncovered). All these organizations are selectively choosing what to report and how to report it in ways that serve their particular ideological bias. Another example is a paper like the NYTimes dishonestly referring to Palestinians being murdered by the IDF as "clashes." The only real difference is with regard to the specific topics the organization chooses to emphasize or ignore, and subtle propaganda that people perceive as not being such is in many ways more worrying than something as blatant as FOX News.

* If anything, I'd argue that other news organizations are in some ways more concerning, because they manage to be perceived by most US Democrats are not being propaganda (which actually makes them more useful towards serving that goal)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 13, 2018

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Odd amount of Mueller related chatter today

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1062400073806491648?s=19

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I must be crazy. I remember distinctly that overturning Citizens United being both Hillary and Trump's platforms and thinking "well at least that piece of poo poo is going to be gone no matter what"

Has Trump back pedaled?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Main Paineframe posted:

The quote I posted shows that the White House did try to exclude Fox from press pools, but immediately did a 180 after they saw how the rest of the WH press corps reacted to that trial balloon.

That's cool and all, but it isn't what RaySmuckles said:

RaySmuckles posted:

do you all remember when obama was going to revoke Fox News' white house press pass?

i seem to remember everyone thinking that was a good thing

Literally neither of these things are true.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Crow Jane posted:

Was there a specific question of Acosta's that you didn't like, or just the general concept of people being mean to Trump?

Jim Acosta has been using the press pool to preach for years. Especially with this President though, he's been trying to use the press corp as a bully pulpit instead of asking actual questions. He's just not a very good reporter in my view.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Main Paineframe posted:

"And on Thursday, the Treasury Department tried to exclude FOX News from pool coverage of interviews with a key official."

You are as bad at reading as you are good at false equivalency.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/NancyPelosi/status/1062390353679003655

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this makes sense because George had like legitimately solid lawyers with good reputations that did their jobs, and now he's spending all his time pushing right wing conspiracy theories and saying his biggest mistake was pleading guilty to the entrapment they did to him

definitely not a surprise they want to get the gently caress out of there before any new charges against George suddenly appear (and also he apparently has other lawyers but idk who they are, probably funded by the far right)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Blitz7x posted:

I must be crazy. I remember distinctly that overturning Citizens United being both Hillary and Trump's platforms and thinking "well at least that piece of poo poo is going to be gone no matter what"

Has Trump back pedaled?

Its going to be packaged with the single payer healthcare proposal he promised once in the primaries any day now

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

No not from press pools just a single event with the treasury department that was rescinded. This is not the same as releasing doctored videos to attempt to expunge reporters forever.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Feldegast42 posted:

Its going to be packaged with the single payer healthcare proposal he promised once in the primaries any day now

Is that before or after infrastructure week?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Has Trump back pedaled?

Why would Trump, a very wealthy man beholden to many corporations, who goes out of his way to recruit from those same corporations to fill government positions, want to restrict the ability of corporations to spend money on elections?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

chan kiddies' total incapability to stick with a position when pressured is one of their funniest traits

without the anonymous mass of The Consensus to fall back on in response to pushback, they just constantly throw more poo poo at the wall in the hopes something will stick

from "just playing devil's advocate here" to "actually i'm a diehard MSNBC watcher" to "it's unfortunate, but no legal challenge is possible" to "how dare Jim Acosta say those things, but he has the right to say them"

figure out what you believe before trying to support it. you save yourself a lot of time flailing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
The best way for Robert Mueller to remind everyone he still exists would be to indict Don Jr. or that little weasel Kushner.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/GovernorVA/status/1062365211380903936?s=19

Northram and Cuomo groveling at the oppurtunity to pay Amazon so they can gently caress up the surrounding area is humiliating.

Northram should one up Cuomo and say he'll tattoo Amazon on his face.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kimsemus posted:

Accountability and journalism are things I'm not a fan of as well, people should listen to what I have to say.

edit: LOL

Kimsemus posted:

Jim Acosta has been using the press pool to preach for years. Especially with this President though, he's been trying to use the press corp as a bully pulpit instead of asking actual questions. He's just not a very good reporter in my view.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 13, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

chan kiddies' total incapability to stick with a position when pressured is one of their funniest traits

without the anonymous mass of The Consensus to fall back on in response to pushback, they just constantly throw more poo poo at the wall in the hopes something will stick

from "just playing devil's advocate here" to "actually i'm a diehard MSNBC watcher" to "it's unfortunate, but no legal challenge is possible" to "how dare Jim Acosta say those things, but he has the right to say them"

figure out what you believe before trying to support it. you save yourself a lot of time flailing.

yeah it's rare we get someone that apparently unironically supports trump in any of these threads lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
as pain mainframe posted, the only mention of in person interviews i could find was for the for the cabinet member.

Xombie posted:

Maybe you should have checked to see if this wasn't complete bullshit before posting it like it was a fact and premising your entire equivalency argument on it?

i maintain my comparison was apt. certainly not "complete bullshit." there are plenty of articles about obamas "war on fox news" and his attempt freeze them out.

but the conversation has certainly digressed beyond the question of "can the executive revoke peoples' press passes" which i maintain they absolutely can because there are no rules governing that.

the only challenge i've seen i heirmonious alloy but his was a challenge of process

Unzip and Attack posted:

You are a liar and you should not post in this thread.

lol, ok