Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
"what like, even is journalism man?" chat has run its course in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
E: nothing to see here

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

chan kiddies' total incapability to stick with a position when pressured is one of their funniest traits

without the anonymous mass of The Consensus to fall back on in response to pushback, they just constantly throw more poo poo at the wall in the hopes something will stick

from "just playing devil's advocate here" to "actually i'm a diehard MSNBC watcher" to "it's unfortunate, but no legal challenge is possible" to "how dare Jim Acosta say those things, but he has the right to say them"

figure out what you believe before trying to support it. you save yourself a lot of time flailing.

man but your av description is spot on

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

e: i'll stop per LK's request

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Radish posted:

https://twitter.com/GovernorVA/status/1062365211380903936?s=19

Northram and Cuomo groveling at the oppurtunity to pay Amazon so they can gently caress up the surrounding area is humiliating.

Northram should one up Cuomo and say he'll tattoo Amazon on his face.

Nah. Lower back tattoo.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: I am not eating a probe for that rear end in a top hat. Withdrawn.

E2: Phrasing.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Kimsemus posted:

I wouldn't go around throwing shade at other people's avs if I were you

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

RaySmuckles posted:

i maintain my comparison was apt.

Post proof that Obama "banned" Fox News, liar.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This isn't about that. This is about the President of the United States booting a reporter out of the press room because he didn't like the question he was being asked. What's to stop him doing it again with April Ryan, for example?

Fox News asked Barack Obama stupid and leaning questions all the time, and yet he and his press secretary would answer them.

It's a lot easier to answer questions when you don't have to make up lies on the spot to protect your ego. This is what ego obsessed people do when they start to see a crack in their own bullshit or panic when they try to come up with an excuse, they get huffy and mad and look for anything that will take the heat off them including calling a reporter a doody head and having them thrown out

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

No not from press pools just a single event with the treasury department that was rescinded. This is not the same as releasing doctored videos to attempt to expunge reporters forever.

In order to exclude someone from multiple press pool events, you first have to exclude them from one press pool event. Presumably, if the press had reacted less strongly, it would have become a trend.

And can we settle down on the false equivalency bullshit here? Saying that Obama did a bad thing does not automatically mean that I think he was equivalent to Trump. Chill the hell out. I'm just trying to keep things grounded in facts here.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kimsemus posted:

What's with your avatar? :stare:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

What is to stop him, legally speaking?

The political process doctrine?

IANAL, but generally speaking courts take a look at existing processes, so if you say vet journalists according to criteria A B and C, you can reject them for failing to meet those criteria but not because "I just don't like the guy" as the latter is a de facto attack on the freedom of the press.

Courts do this all the time, it's why Trump can't just undo Obama's EPA regulations. The science hasn't changed since 2016 so while the courts couldn't have forced Obama to adopt a given rule, once it's there you have to have a better reason than "I wanna pollute" to scrap it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Radish posted:

Northram and Cuomo groveling at the oppurtunity to pay Amazon so they can gently caress up the surrounding area is humiliating.

Tbf Northern Virginia is already way out of control re cost of living and property values and home prices so this isn't really going to change much

NY is more concerning

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I apologize if I missed it but has there been any coherent or believable explanation for why fox news and wikileaks have stopped tweeting? That feels like a canary in a coal mine to me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

"what like, even is journalism man?" chat has run its course in this thread.

for the people in the cheap seats.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

enraged_camel posted:

What's with your avatar? :stare:

I used to have a Roose Bolton avatar for years, but I woke up with this avatar one day, and they didn't even bother to change my old Roose quote below it

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

empty whippet box posted:

I apologize if I missed it but has there been any coherent or believable explanation for why fox news and wikileaks have stopped tweeting? That feels like a canary in a coal mine to me.

Apparently it was out of solidarity with poor persecuted Tucker Carlson, in some rear end-backwards kind of way

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Fox News was apparently doing it in solidarity with Chris Tucker, lol.

Edit: err, Tucker Carlson. What??

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fox News presumably stopped tweeting to protest what happened to Bow Tie Boy (I don't care if he doesn't wear them anymore, I won't stop calling him that). As for Wikileaks, maybe Assange is too busy making GBS threads on the floor and skateboarding in the house.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It's in solidarity with people being mean to Tucker Carlson.

We have since learned that Tucker, shockingly, misrepresented some facts.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tibalt posted:

um

lol

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1062354632477835264?s=19

Its gonna be a new sexual assault victim coming out against Mueller!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

eke out posted:

yeah it's rare we get someone that apparently unironically supports trump in any of these threads lol

nah, it's ironic support. it's just that the ironic support is also genuine. you get it a lot from the truly poisoned by online: people who have a deep emotional attachment to a position, but are so terrified of ever being mocked that the only way they can express that attachment it is by preemptively applying a thick layer of "no, actually it is you who are owned for thinking i ever actually meant something with the words i said."

check the cspan avanetti toxx thread for a relatively harmless example of the pathology at play

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

cr0y posted:

Maybe this time the lawyer won't be wearing pants at all!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

fox news was a boycott because of that dude's house getting broken into i think

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

cr0y posted:

lol the dummy is going to try to withdraw his guilty plea

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cr0y posted:

going to be fun to see how his lawyers argue that the crimes he plead guilty to weren't actually crimes and are not admissible in court

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Tibalt posted:

Edit: err, Tucker Carlson. What??

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fox announced a reason and phrased it in a real doozy of a way:

In a joint statement last Thursday, Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott and Fox News President Jay Wallace called the activists' behavior “reprehensible” while urging a more “civil, respectful, and inclusive national conversation.”

“We as a nation have become far too intolerant of different points of view," said Scott and Wallace. "Recent events across our country clearly highlight the need for a more civil, respectful, and inclusive national conversation. Those of us in the media and in politics bear a special obligation to all Americans to find common ground.”

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

eke out posted:

going to be fun to see how his lawyers argue that the crimes he plead guilty to weren't actually crimes and are not admissible in court

The joint efforts of Barry Zuckerkorn and Lionel Hutz will certainly be a sight to see.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

Right, "broken into". By people who never left the sidewalk.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RaySmuckles posted:

"Broken into"

The protesters knocked on his door and left a note before standing on the sidewalk. There were legal observers there. The cops showed up and caused a fuss because someone spray painted an anarchy symbol on his driveway, per their own public police report. Carlson is a lying piece of poo poo

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ice Phisherman posted:

Nah. Lower back tattoo.

When it's on your face it shows real commitment. Anyone can wear a suit.

my bony fealty posted:

Tbf Northern Virginia is already way out of control re cost of living and property values and home prices so this isn't really going to change much

NY is more concerning

It's going to make NoVa cost of living even crazier and traffic is already bad. In addition we will be on the hook for this until 2042.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the papadopoulos story goes hand-in-hand with this

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1062404220907859968

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Two of the protestors fled the scene!

Slowly, because they are elderly and use canes to walk.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Radish posted:

I'm mildly happy Amazon is coming to NoVA because it'll fix the horrible office occupancy problem that's dragging down the Arlington tax base, but the way they had all these different states begging and groveling was and is disgusting and shouldn't have happened.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

dude i'm not commenting on the event, just what i'd heard the boycott was for

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RaySmuckles posted:

dude i'm not commenting on the event, just what i'd heard the boycott was for

it's weird how you keep repeating right wing talking points by accident

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

axeil posted:

I'm mildly happy Amazon is coming to NoVA because it'll fix the horrible office occupancy problem that's dragging down the Arlington tax base, but the way they had all these different states begging and groveling was and is disgusting and shouldn't have happened.

Especially since it seems like it was all a show anyway and the locations had been preselected way earlier than this gross contest implied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Blitz7x posted:

I must be crazy. I remember distinctly that overturning Citizens United being both Hillary and Trump's platforms and thinking "well at least that piece of poo poo is going to be gone no matter what"

Has Trump back pedaled?

Hahaha you thought Trump was going to overturn something that gets him money/saves him money?

Or to a lesser extent, Clinton?