Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

stevewm posted:

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/11/09/microsoft-confirms-file-association-bug-in-windows-10-version-1803/

Basically attempts to change a file association are ignored in some cases if you use the normal front end way to do it. You have to change it via the registry directly to make it stick.
I thought you specifically couldn't do it directly by editing the registry because windows 10 checks for that and will reset everything? It stores hashes of the registry keys somewhere.

There's apparently a tool you can use though: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsinternals/2017/10/25/windows-10-how-to-configure-file-associations-for-it-pros/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mystes posted:

I thought you specifically couldn't do it directly by editing the registry because windows checks for that and will reset everything.

No.

You can do it through the registry, but you must have properly given the program administrative rights. Otherwise the OS will ignore the program setting itself for those file types in the registry.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Where is the search bar for finding files that are in folders on the desktop?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Win10 has something that overrides the normal file associations in CLASSES_ROOT registry. I have experienced this myself.

What happened to me: I have an old copy of foxit PDF viewer, from the days before they went full adware. I liked using that for PDFs. I could not, using registry or the association control panel, get windows to keep foxit as the default program for PDFs. It always got reset to Edge.

The only was to solve this was to go into a different area of the registry handling appx packages and find Edge, and manually remove pdf from the file types it claims to support. I still don't know where it was keeping the pdf = Edge association since the classes entry was blank when it did that. Somewhere deep in the appx system was my guess, but that might just be my deep loathing of appx. But it wasn't in the registry, because at one point I went through every instance of pdf in the whole thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Factor Mystic posted:

Default Programs Editor works fine on Windows 10 as far as I can tell. Never use the built in Windows UI for file associations, it's always been terrible. :toot:
ironically, up until xp or maybe vista, the built in file associations thing in folder options worked great and as expected. then they removed it "because nobody uses it" and now you need another 3rd party app for another basic functionality.

also, 3rd party app might not be able to fix poo poo microsoft's office uninstaller broke, because reasons.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Yeah, Windows now stores file associations in about 12 different places in the registry. Also, CLASSES_ROOT isn’t a real location in the registry; it’s a combination of something like LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\classes and CURRENT_USER\Software\classes, and it’s hard to tell which one you’ll be editing or which one will actually make things work. Plus, there’s WoW64, SystemFileAssociations, MIME types, and probably some stuff in Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer. (I’m on macOS right now, so I might have gotten some of those key names wrong, but you get the gist.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Truga posted:

ironically, up until xp or maybe vista, the built in file associations thing in folder options worked great and as expected. then they removed it "because nobody uses it" and now you need another 3rd party app for another basic functionality.

also, 3rd party app might not be able to fix poo poo microsoft's office uninstaller broke, because reasons.

Not only did it work perfectly, but you could trivially edit options in the context menu on a file from there. It needs to come back.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Default programs editor mentioned in the quote does that poo poo pretty well now, though the UI isn't as nice since it's a wizard flow rather than just a list of extensions with "add" "edit" etc buttons.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

1809 update has resumed.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-resumes-rollout-of-windows-10-october-2018-update/

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Oh goodie, I'm fully erect with anticipation for it. :awesome:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Let us know how it goes, brave beta testers

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Oh don't say that, the last time I made a comment to that effect they acted like I was the weird one for not wanting to install a buggy-as-gently caress update on my PCs. :rolleyes:

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Not brave beta tester, but I've had the pulled 1809 RTM build for a while.

I checked for updates and there's new patches, so I just wanted to confirm that there's more to it than just the 17763.55 update version that MS had us marooned on the bad 1809 running for the past couple months.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Oh don't say that, the last time I made a comment to that effect they acted like I was the weird one for not wanting to install a buggy-as-gently caress update on my PCs. :rolleyes:

You were absolutely correct in not wanting glitchy terrible updates on your machine. Even Microsoft encourages that "you to wait until the feature update is offered to your device automatically"

Don't try to skip the line, and in fact install the update as late as possible to allow for beta testing to take place amongst the install base.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Last Chance posted:

You were absolutely correct in not wanting glitchy terrible updates on your machine. Even Microsoft encourages that "you to wait until the feature update is offered to your device automatically"

Don't try to skip the line, and in fact install the update as late as possible to allow for beta testing to take place amongst the install base.
If you're doing a fresh install, I'd recommend getting the latest version so you can get it out of the way and make sure your poo poo works. That way you can avoid having a good working 1803 or whatever system and have it all go to poo poo when MS pushes the new release on you in a few weeks/months or whenever they randomly decide to push it on you.

And I have to say this release cadence is ridiculous, by the time they got 1809 ready, it's not that long until 1903.

If they keep buttfumbling every six months, I think they might switch to annual major updates. As it stands right now, we're on up to Windows 10 Service Pack 6 using the old naming convention.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Laslow posted:

Not brave beta tester, but I've had the pulled 1809 RTM build for a while.

I checked for updates and there's new patches, so I just wanted to confirm that there's more to it than just the 17763.55 update version that MS had us marooned on the bad 1809 running for the past couple months.

I just hit the YOLO button and it's installing KB4467708. Hopefully this includes a fix for Task Manager CPU usage (though it's not in the notes.)

Edit: Task Manager CPU usage appears to be fixed.

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 13, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Last Chance posted:

1809 installed on the laptop which is permanently on and connected to my TV and I definitely didn't manually click anything on that system. I did on a desktop and Surface Pro on the same network so perhaps that has something to do with it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

monsterzero posted:

I just hit the YOLO button and it's installing KB4467708. Hopefully this includes a fix for Task Manager CPU usage (though it's not in the notes.)

Edit: Task Manager CPU usage appears to be fixed.

Thanks, updating my 1809 now.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

mystes posted:

I thought you specifically couldn't do it directly by editing the registry because windows 10 checks for that and will reset everything? It stores hashes of the registry keys somewhere.

There's apparently a tool you can use though: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsinternals/2017/10/25/windows-10-how-to-configure-file-associations-for-it-pros/

I shouldn't need to do XML bullshit because Windows won't let me pick arbitrary programs in the control panel:

or because it ignores the "always use this program to open <whatever> files" checkbox in Open with->Choose another app. I've never been able to get Windows 10 to stop loving with my file associations since I got it as soon as it was offered and this is a very basic thing that you should be able to do with the default UI.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Last Chance posted:

My thing was about wanting some control over when Windows installed updates (and more importantly, rebooted.) Truthfully, previous updates haven't been as bad as 1809 was so this hasn't been an issue in the past. There's simply no way to know when your machine's turn will come to automatically install updates, which is why there are few options aside from pulling your machines offline or forcing a manual install.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm trying to force an update from 1803 to 1809 and Windows Update is claiming I'm up to date. Are there any other ways to force it or am I at the whim of the cloud unless I do a fresh install (which is getting tempting, this install dates back to RTM).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wolrah posted:

I'm trying to force an update from 1803 to 1809 and Windows Update is claiming I'm up to date. Are there any other ways to force it or am I at the whim of the cloud unless I do a fresh install (which is getting tempting, this install dates back to RTM).

Aren't there forum rules about encouraging self-harm?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

wolrah posted:

You should be able to download the updated 1809 media creation tool, and update through that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

If it's not offering it to you now, I'd suspect there may be a compatibility problem and recommend waiting.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna spin the russian roulette and request the update. I only use the machine for VR stuff so what's the worst it could do.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

mobby_6kl posted:

Gonna spin the russian roulette and request the update. I only use the machine for VR stuff so what's the worst it could do.

This is the plot to some alternative Tron movie.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Last Chance posted:

I've been contemplating the fresh install anyways, so I figure why not be a guinea pig.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You should be able to download the updated 1809 media creation tool, and update through that.
Did they integrate the "upgrade assistant" or whatever it was that they had with one of the earlier updates in to the MCT? That's what I was looking for and not finding, I guess it makes sense for them to combine tools but I'd never have guessed the media creation tool would now be for updates too.

astral posted:

If it's not offering it to you now, I'd suspect there may be a compatibility problem and recommend waiting.
A valid point. I wonder if there are any ways to find out if this is the case and what's causing it to trip?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

Did they integrate the "upgrade assistant" or whatever it was that they had with one of the earlier updates in to the MCT? That's what I was looking for and not finding, I guess it makes sense for them to combine tools but I'd never have guessed the media creation tool would now be for updates too.

I am fairly sure we've been able to upgrade from within windows with the MCT (and/or from the image it creates) since near the beginning, if not at the beginning. The upgrade assistant always felt like more of a separate nag program they eventually deploy for people who haven't updated yet (or maybe it tells people why they can't update? I don't think I've run into that situation, so can't say for certain).

wolrah posted:

A valid point. I wonder if there are any ways to find out if this is the case and what's causing it to trip?

It's probably possible; I'd start with looking for a windows update log file (or a search in case someone else on the internet had already written up a nifty how-to).

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

wolrah posted:

I've been contemplating the fresh install anyways, so I figure why not be a guinea pig.

You don't need the upgrade assistant, you can use the Media Creation Tool to update directly. If you have multiple computers, create an installation USB and update from that. The regular installer works for upgrading the current system as well.

But: The update assistant for the October update is available as well, same place as the Media Creation tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Lambert fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 14, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Note that you might actually have to use the Media Creation Tool to make clean install media. Not in general, but for edge cases.

The new 1809 ISO that Microsoft offers to non-Windows hosts has an install.wim file larger than 4 GiB - the ISO can no longer be used to make a FAT32 EFI install medium (via straight copy-paste or Rufus or whatever), and UEFI firmware isn't obligated to support booting off of NTFS the way it's obligated by standards compliance to support booting off of FAT32. So some boards' firmware doesn't. (I don't even know if the Windows PE UEFI stack will boot off of ExFAT. I guess if the firmware supports it?)

Do not advise users to boot in legacy BIOS compatibility mode unless they have actual EFI-incompatible hardware, like ancient motherboards or video cards.

The install.esd that the Media Creation Tool builds into ISO images is still around 3.5 GiB.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 14, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Microsoft also said that if you check for updates and 1809 isn't offered, there is a good reason. It found some app or driver or something on your PC that might cause issues, and that they'll offer it to you at a later time when either they add a fix, or whatever app or driver is updated to where it is fixed.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The update assistant should warn about issues like that.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Last Chance posted:

The only one doing harm in this thread is you.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Which of the updates included in 1809 makes it worth it to circumvent Windows Update?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Dark mode, new Snipping tool that can be bound to the print screen button (in ease of access). For some people probably clipboard history.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

The only one doing harm in this thread is you.

Nah, I think Microsoft itself takes that cake. I'm not forcing beta testing on users

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lambert posted:

You don't need the upgrade assistant, you can use the Media Creation Tool to update directly. If you have multiple computers, create an installation USB and update from that. The regular installer works for upgrading the current system as well.

But: The update assistant for the October update is available as well, same place as the Media Creation tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I don't know how I missed that. Thanks for pointing out my idiocy hah.

I ran it and it hasn't thrown a fit, it's just completing the download, so we'll see if doing this in the first place also proves to be stupid.

svenkatesh posted:

Which of the updates included in 1809 makes it worth it to circumvent Windows Update?

I also work at a MSP, so aside from the requisite brain damage that's part of the job requirements there's some benefit in installing updates on my own machines before my customers start getting it. Some of them have domains and WSUS and all is nice, but others are relying on the built in delay options. The more time I have to find problems on my own the more I can prepare for when those delays expire.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 14, 2018

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ah okay. My work laptop is still on 1709 so I'm guessing the company I work for just likes to take its time.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Last Chance posted:

Nah, I think Microsoft itself takes that cake. I'm not forcing beta testing on users

Then report Microsoft's Forums account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Done.