Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

EdsTeioh posted:

If I go in .5-1 second bursts, it doesn't happen either.
There's yer solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I'm starting to get this too though it is occasional enough not to have bothered me too much. I'm leaning towards a bad moisture trap. Makes sense if you're spitting a drop of water all of a sudden.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Gewehr 43 posted:

I'm starting to get this too though it is occasional enough not to have bothered me too much. I'm leaning towards a bad moisture trap. Makes sense if you're spitting a drop of water all of a sudden.

That may be correct also. Although, I have heard of instances of the moisture condensing as it travels down the hose. As the compressor gets hotter as it runs, this gets worse. I'm thinking about just grabbing a compressor with a tank since at that point the actual compressor heat will be out of the mix.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Check your moisture trap.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Fearless posted:

Testor's red tube glue is my preferred plastic glue mainly because of the smell. The taste, however, is utterly atrocious.* Truly, we do it for the inhalants.

Fun fact: the glue I have been using at work for plexi and styrene is a modified form of chloroform. I think it is broadly comparable to weld-on 3 or 4 and is applied with sable brushes. It's extremely volatile, but sets rapidly.

*this was discovered by accident and not through an attempt to eat glue.

Hey speaking of plexi, I have a no name laser cut kit from China that appears to be 0.55mm plexi or acrylic and is coated with an orange paint, I assume a masking of some sort. Do you have any tips on what's the best way to strip these runners without knowing the materials exactly?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Check your moisture trap.

What exactly should I be checking?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Is it still on, is it full, is it collecting water? If not, something might be clogged.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Hitachi ZC50T-5 vibratory tandem roller, Hasegawa 1/35

That might be the nicest kit I've ever built.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Is it still on, is it full, is it collecting water? If not, something might be clogged.

Yes, it's on. No, it's not full. No, there was no visible water in it last time I airbrushed and got a spit of moisture. For a long time, it would gather water in the bottom of the cup then drain out the bottom relief valve. Now, no water gathers, though the pressure relief valve still works fine.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Gewehr 43 posted:

Yes, it's on. No, it's not full. No, there was no visible water in it last time I airbrushed and got a spit of moisture. For a long time, it would gather water in the bottom of the cup then drain out the bottom relief valve. Now, no water gathers, though the pressure relief valve still works fine.

You may have a busted diaphragm/upper valve if no water is gathering, unless the humidity in your area is abnormally low right now. Check to see that there aren't any holes in the gaskets, too- air leaks can stop the filter from working.

I use two water filters in my setup- one on the compressor and a smaller inline version directly beneath the airbrush that can be found at Hobby Lobby for ~$20. It helps keep things dry on really humid days. If you live in a humid area I recommend looking into one.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Unkempt posted:

:neckbeard: I love it!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Now I want to buy construction equipment too.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Vaporware posted:

Hey speaking of plexi, I have a no name laser cut kit from China that appears to be 0.55mm plexi or acrylic and is coated with an orange paint, I assume a masking of some sort. Do you have any tips on what's the best way to strip these runners without knowing the materials exactly?

I'd start with a bath in undiluted Simple Green and see if that works. Hopefully it's not some sort of oil based paint. I am not sure how acrylic or plexi behaves when exposed to stronger chemicals.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Having been inside a few of the WWI tanks at Bovington, I figured I would start my Meng Mk.V. This this has a full interior in it for a tank that is already quite large. The box doesn't say the parts count, but I figure it's easily over 1000. The box is also enormous, easily twice as big as a normal 1:35th scale tank.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Cool! Are you planning on having parts removable to show off the interior?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Time to blow the dust off the Coronet I started forever ago and get back rolling on that one. Nice to make some progress.

Edit: I wasn't lying about the dust. Blech.

Solder headers and a resin T56 trans. Obviously need to finish up the wires there as well.

Stock 2.25" exhaust won't do. Need an upgrade to 3".

Threw down some carpet as well. The naked spots in the middle will be covered by the seats.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Molentik posted:

Cool! Are you planning on having parts removable to show off the interior?

I'll definitely leave at least one sponson off.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Unkempt posted:

This rules, I love models of mundane stuff.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Unkempt posted:

Lovely job! Did you have any real-world examples to work off from?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also, finally made the base for and finished that Trumpeter M4 I was working on.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I just finished up Bandai's Y-Wing, this was a fantastic model. A ludicrous amount of detail for $25 or so. I'm pretty proud of the finish I got on the metal parts, which is like 90% of a Y-Wing anyway. I sprayed it flat gray, let it dry a bit then hit it with a black wash early. I went pretty rough on it, letting it strip the flat gray off most of the protruding areas then sponged over most of the exposed white with a silver.

It looks a lot better in person, it really got a lot of variation to the color, a mix of flat and metallic.

This poo poo is relaxing after coming home from working retail.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

drat that’s some nice weathering work.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Enos Shenk posted:

I just finished up Bandai's Y-Wing, this was a fantastic model. A ludicrous amount of detail for $25 or so. I'm pretty proud of the finish I got on the metal parts, which is like 90% of a Y-Wing anyway. I sprayed it flat gray, let it dry a bit then hit it with a black wash early. I went pretty rough on it, letting it strip the flat gray off most of the protruding areas then sponged over most of the exposed white with a silver.

It looks a lot better in person, it really got a lot of variation to the color, a mix of flat and metallic.

This poo poo is relaxing after coming home from working retail.

That looks good as hell

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Went to an aladins cave of a model shop today. While most of their stuff is diecast cars they also have a massive selection of plastic kits some looking like they’d been on the shelf since they were released in the 70’s. Might have to go back when I’m done with my current kit so I can pick up something new.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Went to an aladins cave of a model shop today. While most of their stuff is diecast cars they also have a massive selection of plastic kits some looking like they’d been on the shelf since they were released in the 70’s. Might have to go back when I’m done with my current kit so I can pick up something new.

Research which ones command a high resale value on ebay, buy 'em, resell 'em.

Offer preferred rates to Goons (or just us :v:)

Also, friends, have you heard the good news?

You can now buy a resin kit of Trucker Jesus

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/10/masterbox-brings-truckers-some-cab.html

What are you doing, hasegawa First kit looks awesome, fourth kit is, uh...

Yes, these figures are 1) truckers, 2) whores, and Trucker Jesus, what of it

Slightly more serious question: how reliable is "this kit has been released by manufacturers?" I ask because Revell's He 177 is a no-show in North America, and their An-225 still hasn't been released yet

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 16, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nebakenezzer posted:

..., 2) whores..

:what:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

loose women, whatev

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Lovely job! Did you have any real-world examples to work off from?

Cheers. Yeah, it's a bit harder to find pics of that sort of thing on the net; most of the ones I found were from the manufacturer or people selling them second hand so they were all pretty clean. I probably went a bit overboard with the rusty/dirty bits but what the hell, I like it that way. Plus I have plans for what to do with it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nebakenezzer posted:

loose women, whatev

sex workers in the PC term these days.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

gently caress INTAKES.

Anyone know where I can get some Mr. Filler online in Canada?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of getting things online in Canada, I managed to drop my Paasche Talon needle lock nut down the sink. Is there any place that sells them that ships to Canada for less than an arm and a leg? Alternatively, can I just use any old nut? I assume this is some kind of standard size.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Coast Airbrush is probably the cheapest to ship into Canada. Direct from Paasche is pretty cheap too.

Can you not open the P-Trap on the sink though, and see if the nut is sitting in there?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Been pretty quiet on the model front lately. Between messing around with woodburning, and a general autumn malaise, things have been quiet.

Back on the model ship though now. Laid down the beams to start on the next deck up, getting some support pillars ready to go, and working on some super fiddly little midshipmans hammocks. You can see how small they are compared to the tip of a mechanical pencil. And only 8 more of them to go... :smith:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What model is that? Looks like an HMS Victory?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Seriously I never realized the amount of poo poo managers deal with until I became one.

Well I kind of did because I had a manager who didn’t umbrella at all, but I didn’t realize it was her job to do it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plinkey posted:

sex workers in the PC term these days.

I think "lot lizards" is still the trucking industry term.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FrozenVent posted:

What model is that? Looks like an HMS Victory?

Good eye! It is indeed HMS Victory. A lovely cross-section model by DeAgostini.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Coast Airbrush is probably the cheapest to ship into Canada. Direct from Paasche is pretty cheap too.

Can you not open the P-Trap on the sink though, and see if the nut is sitting in there?

I'll keep this website in mind for the future, but it turns out that a 20 cent M4 locking nut works just as well.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Weather conditions and interference from some other projects had delayed work on the Scharnhorst for a while. I am happy to report that those are now dealt with and I'm fast catching up back to the original schedule.

With issue 61 the remaining gaps in the second planking were closed up and the hull prepared for filling, sanding and priming.

Issue 62: The hull after said filling, sanding and priming. This took.... a while. For climate reasons (too hot, too wet, too dark) and me being loathe to cover myself in a layer of horrible dust. Also my insistence on doing my sanding with hand tools and me never being happy with the result. Between the first picture and this one two months passed in total. I am now happy with the result.

Issues 63-65: A build stand was built and the first half of deck planking was test fit on the deck. This is where you will be made painfully aware if you built a banana. So far things look ok.

Issues 66-69: Bilge keels are built up from two layers of brass and fitted to the hull. This is why we need the build stand.

And that's where we are right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Man, Greyhawk, I love every Scharhorst post you make.

I'm also glad it's you doing it not me.