Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Conot posted:

Yeah as a manga reader I can understand the excitement about events in the near and far future but its kinda demoralizing for anime watchers when the thread is 90% manga/LN spoilers blotting out the sun.

Part of it is that were coming up on a major character change that's been heavily foreshadowed/spoiled in the shows op/ed, Rimuru's human form. To be fair the manga spoiled the same thing with both its cover, and a prophetic dream sequence on the very first page. Once we're past that I think the spoiler talk should return to a nominal level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Psst...

Those other folks in the op hanging out with Rimuru? He makes friends with them too. And so grows goblin/wolf/dwarf village.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah, just yesterday I thought I was spoiler free and after randomly browsing through some of the tankobon covers I was like “Oh. drat it.”

So if anyone else wants to remaking spoiler-free as an anime-only, don’t look at the manga covers!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Elfface posted:

Psst...

Those other folks in the op hanging out with Rimuru? He makes friends with them too. And so grows goblin/wolf/dwarf village.

Spoilers.

I think the op ruined the show for me. Shouldn't have taken ten eps to turn into cute girl or whatever happens. Also this last episode was criminally boring for how well animated it was.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Conot posted:

Yeah as a manga reader I can understand the excitement about events in the near and far future but its kinda demoralizing for anime watchers when the thread is 90% manga/LN spoilers blotting out the sun.

Spot on with the sun thing.

I don't follow most threads here, but the Attack on Titan thread doesn't post manga spoilers, and presumably it's the same people frequenting the whole subforum, so I don't know why this thread is a minefield of manga spoilers. All the tags make it impossible to tell which are courtesy tags for the brand new episodes.

It probably doesn't matter much since this show doesn't seem to be plot twist driven, but still.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 13, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

kater posted:

Also this last episode was criminally boring for how well animated it was.

I think it helps to think of this show as a weird slice of slife thing rather than isekai action.

It’s usually the little things I really enjoy here, like when the wolf starts wagging his tail when Fire Girl said she liked their village.

[edited to reflect some very good suggestions from another poster]

Agronox fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 13, 2018

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Surely you mean a Slime of Life show... or slice of slife?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m not reading any of these spoilers, I’m gonna go in blind as a bat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Something else I like about this is that Rimuru being a pretty stable working adult with some degree of managerial experience before getting isekaied makes the society development and trade aspects more believable, along with him handling things with more maturity than the average isekai protagonist. Granted he's still kind of a horn dog (riding a horned dog), but him being a leader isn't much of a stretch compared to an angry teen.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I’m not reading any of these spoilers, I’m gonna go in blind as a slime.

I have been tainted. Enjoy what has been lost to me.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

chumbler posted:

Something else I like about this is that Rimuru being a pretty stable working adult with some degree of managerial experience before getting isekaied makes the society development and trade aspects more believable, along with him handling things with more maturity than the average isekai protagonist. Granted he's still kind of a horn dog (riding a horned dog), but him being a leader isn't much of a stretch compared to an angry teen.

It really builds upon it when he reflects on his real life experience that helps him in a given situation, whether its dealing with his juniors at work or entertaining his bosses. Its a nice touch that reflects the past life, something most isekai throw out the window as soon as the protagonist is in the other world.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!
Like 2 pages late but...

NowonSA posted:

I really liked the effects, both sound and visual, of the sword exploding what it cut into. I wish that effect was done more often because it was cool as hell and I've rarely seen it, now I want it on all the magic weapons (especially melee weapons like swords) in both animation and video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QecUbbH7gIg

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Donnerberg posted:

Spot on with the sun thing.

I don't follow most threads here, but the Attack on Titan thread doesn't post manga spoilers, and presumably it's the same people frequenting the whole subforum, so I don't know why this thread is a minefield of manga spoilers. All the tags make it impossible to tell which are courtesy tags for the brand new episodes.

It probably doesn't matter much since this show doesn't seem to be plot twist driven, but still.

Well theres seperate threads for Attack on Titan at least, but for this theres only this thread while there also is a manga, and the original webnovel that just anyone can read.

But i agree, if you are going to post spoilers, everyone at least should mark em with Manga or WN spoiler.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I can appreciate folks who're only interested in the anime not wanting to be spoiled, but the thread isn't active enough to merit being split. Clearly marking any black bars as Manga or LN sounds like a reasonable compromise.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Captain_duck posted:

Well theres seperate threads for Attack on Titan at least, but for this theres only this thread while there also is a manga, and the original webnovel that just anyone can read.

But i agree, if you are going to post spoilers, everyone at least should mark em with Manga or WN spoiler.

We're not really discussing current manga chapters, so not much need for a manga only thread. The manga spoilers in here seem to mostly be manga readers thinking anime watchers will want to know what's going to happen.

For what it's worth, my memory of the Attack on Titan and several other shows threads were pretty similar unless/until a firm "stop giving spoilers, no one wants them" message was given.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

My admittedly awful opinion is that spoilers are awesome. I'll often read a synopsis before watching or reading stuff to see if there are any major dealbreakers lying in wait. I'd rather know the broad strokes going in than be surprised by any distasteful twists.

I'm a weirdo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dogsicle posted:

:siren:Spoiler Policy:siren:
Don't post untagged manga or LN spoilers, and preferably just don't post that stuff at all until it comes up in the show. Anything in the current episode is a-ok to be untagged, even if you're coming here fresh off viewing it. The airtime is provided below so assume any posts after that point could have spoilers/"spoilers" for the new episode.

it seems like they're mostly being used to tag actual spoilers but like someone else mentioned, there's no differentiation being made between what is an ln spoiler or manga spoiler vs people just putting things in tags because ???

so we could reiterate that there seems to be no need to post spoilers 99% of the time but if you do, denote what it's for. also people shouldn't really need to "courtesy tag" anything in the newest episode since by now we're all aware that Monday is when this thread gets active with that stuff. i steer clear from the thread until i get a chance to watch the episode myself usually.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sindai posted:

I certainly forgot how dark Shizu's backstory got.

I don't remember what happened to her poor friend at all from the manga, doesn't seem like the kind of thing I'd forget outright. Maybe that's something from the LN, seems like a bold addition to include that level of tragedy.

Edit: Yeah based on other comments seems like that was in the LN but left out of the manga.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The manga is really sparse with her in general, which is odd considering her impact on the story. Like, that vivid scene where Rimuru shows her modern-day Japan is a single page in the manga. I like the anime rendition a lot more so far.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

:siren:Spoiler Policy:siren:
Don't post untagged manga or LN spoilers, and preferably just don't post that stuff at all until it comes up in the show. Anything in the current episode is a-ok to be untagged, even if you're coming here fresh off viewing it. The airtime is provided below so assume any posts after that point could have spoilers/"spoilers" for the new episode.
While I can understand the excitement of the goons who've been following this story since the Web Novel/Light Novel version seeing Slime of Life go places, do try to keep the guideline dogsicle requested (which I bolded in the quote) and keep WN/LN spoiler talk as light as possible; this is a 2-cour show so I think it'd be best to keep as much of the story certified fresh™ as possible. Thanks. :)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All three mediums have sort of tackled the source material a little bit differently, so there was a thing we expected to see in one episode that didn't show up, but then it happened a bit into the next episode out of nowhere. There's also stuff that were skipped wholesale in the manga showing up in the anime, leading to certain readers being a tad surprised.

Going forward, anything not covered in the anime ought to be marked with a tag of where the information is pulled from. I certainly enjoy reading them since I've read up on the manga, but not the novel and seeing the difference is quite startling.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Question, I'm not very big into anime, how common is it for shows like this to get additional seasons?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 14, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Question, I'm not very big into anime, how common is it for shows like this to get additional seasons?

Fun Isekai shows?

*thinks about Devil Is A Part-Timer, No Game No Life, Re-Zero*

Uhh, temper your expectations. KonoSuba got a second season so it's not unprecedented.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Overlord is really great and 3 seasons at present.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

From observation, it usually seems to come down to how much fun the animation team had with the source material, since there's always other isekais to do that are also interesting.

Judging by the these things, I think there's a good chance of a second season, but it ain't no guarantee.

Some other posters mentioned stuff that hadn't gotten new seasons yet, but I think some are getting sequels. No Game No Life recently got a movie after all.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

If an anime manages to either:
  1. Make a good deal of moolah via DVD/Blu-Ray sales, or...
  2. Ups the sales of the source material in a significant manner (in this case could be either the OG Light Novels or the Manga Adaptations)
Then it'd be slightly likely that it's getting an additional season/movie and so on. Sometimes, a committee has already agreed to do additional seasons and it's just taking a break.

At the end of the day, tho'?

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Fun Isekai shows?

Uhh, temper your expectations. KonoSuba got a second season so it's not unprecedented.
Cipher Pol 9's reply is often the most adequate. There are things like Overlord that got 3 seasons already, as mentioned by SpartanIvy. Konosuba got fairly popular and it's getting a movie (and apparently also either additional OVA's or another season?). Sometimes it takes time. Like, Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online were already fairly big successes as a manga and Light Novel respectively, but their respective 1st Season simulcasts through Crunchyroll and their subsequent streaming rights that got them into Netflix pushed them into the "monstrously popular" category. And at times studios already have stuff lined up, so it can't happen immediately despite people clamoring for it.

Hell, people have been waiting for One Punch Man's 2nd season for the better part of 3 years. Attack on Titan had to wait almost 4 years between season 1 and 2. Sword Art Online had a relatively quicker turnaround from its 1st season ending in December 2012 to the 2nd season starting in July 2014. Same with KonoSuba getting 2 seasons in a little under a year.

TL;DR It's kind of a crapshoot, sometimes? :shobon:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I think usually the long delays are because the anime is waiting for the source material to get far enough ahead for another season.

I believe I've heard that Reincarnated as a Slime is already set for 2 seasons, at least. At the rate they're going that looks set to put them at least a little where the manga is now, I don't know about the novel.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, a lot of times it can be that. Again, it varies from case to case. I mean, very slight spoilers on a different series, but pretty much everything that's gonna happen on A Certain Magical Index's 3rd season (currently airing) has already been out in the light novels for an actual decade. It's the whole reason I'm mostly staying out of the SAO: Alicization thread, since I read the final novel of that arc (which I think was also the end of the OG Web Novel) two years ago.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, I know the original web novel is wrapped up so a lack of source material wouldn't be an impediment.

I guess I'll follow the manga as it unfolds and just hope we get more show at some point, cause I definitely think it's the story's best rendering.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 14, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Fun Isekai shows?

Yeah not getting more of those shows in particular stings quite a bit for me. Re-Zero at least seemed like such a phenomenon that it really should just be a "waiting for more source material and the right team" situation more than anything. I know NGNL also was running out of runway when it wrapped and I really liked that as well, though it wasn't the hit that Re:Zero seemed to be.

Usually anime based on manga or light novels end well before the other material wraps up with no second seasons or anything, I just have never picked up the ability to not be disappointed that they didn't keep going and continue the story, and when the source material is already out there in large part or fully complete then that really makes me sad.

The anime my avatar is from Rokka no Yuusha ran in to the most common killer of anime with just not being popular and not selling lots of blu-rays, but man I really liked it and I'd recommend the light novel as well, though even that seems to have stalled out for a few years now.

It's just like any other show I suppose, you want the stuff you like to get as much time as the creators want to tell a good story and not get cancelled, and sometimes even when they hit the ending they wanted you're like "That was only 26 episodes? What the hell I want more!"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

Kinda like how the protagonist of Accomplishments of a Duke's Daughter is an accountant before being isekai'd and uses their skills to great effect in being a fief lord

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

*thinks about Devil Is A Part-Timer
I am so loving mad that it didn't go any farther because everything past the stuff the anime actually covered is fantastic and the character introduced immediately following the anime's ending is the best in the entire show(except maybe Gabriel. actually no, even if Gabriel rules he's not as good as Alas Ramus and all the shenanigans she is involved in/causes)

man I wanna see the following arc stuff animated so bad :(

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I am so loving mad that it didn't go any farther because everything past the stuff the anime actually covered is fantastic and the character introduced immediately following the anime's ending is the best in the entire show(except maybe Gabriel. actually no, even if Gabriel rules he's not as good as Alas Ramus and all the shenanigans she is involved in/causes)

man I wanna see the following arc stuff animated so bad :(
1000% agreed, minus the stuff about the novels because I've only watched the anime. It was so good and I want more so badly...

I waited this long without reading Chihayafuru and it finally got its third season. Maybe my waiting for this will pay off too.

Probably not. But maybe.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Overlord probably only got more seasons because the anime gave a very massive boost to LN sales. These days, most anime shows aren't meant to be stand-alone but are just advertisements for the source material. Publishers don't want full adaptations, because then people won't need to buy the original work to see a story's conclusion.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Devil is a Part Timer ruled and I badly want more of it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Re:Zero hasn't gotten a new season yet because:
1. The author has been busy adapting his Webnovel into enough volumes to cover the next arc
2. Studio WhiteFox did not think this would be the massive hit it was and thus had no initial new plans. It's why they had the anime end the way it did.
3. There are now 2.5 OVAs being churned out in anticipation of adapting a second season (although that announcement has not yet arrived).
4. WhiteFox decided to do Goblin Slayer first.

Personally I'm hoping for a Fall 2019 release, split-cour for Arc 4, which is one of the best I've ever read.

Devil Part-Timer will only exist further if Netflix crowdfunds it or something. I don't know why it 'flopped' in Japan. Same for NGNL.
And Overlord should've had a better budget/effort put into it so that it wouldn't have looked like CG garbage at times.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 14, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Devil is a Part Timer ruled and I badly want more of it.

It’s up there for me with Haruhi S3 and Love Lab S2 for things I just have to acknowledge I will never get regardless of how much I’d like to.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Overlord didn't have enough downtime between the second and third seasons.

I was actually satisfied with the ending for Devil is a Part Timer but I wouldn't object to there being more.

As for this week's episode of Slime, I kept being reminded of FFXIV's Ifrit fight, especially the part where it did the clone move.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Overlord didn't have enough downtime between the second and third seasons.

I was actually satisfied with the ending for Devil is a Part Timer but I wouldn't object to there being more.

As for this week's episode of Slime, I kept being reminded of FFXIV's Ifrit fight, especially the part where it did the clone move.

Same here. I was pretty disappointed when he didn't do the charge move tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Agronox posted:

It’s up there for me with Haruhi S3 and Love Lab S2 for things I just have to acknowledge I will never get regardless of how much I’d like to.

:hai: