Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Nah it was good.

Though the cameo was bad, him encouraging Eddie to keep pursuing a girl that has moved on

The only thing worse than that movie was that cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I understand those of you who think Stan should be left to rest, but I'm pretty sure Stan himself would love to have gaudy CG cameos in every Marvel movie made until the end of time.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So is Stan Lee cool now? I thought I read a load of stuff over the years on how he totally shafted Kirby, and that Kirby was the real creative genius behind Marvel whilst Lee was the business guy. I always liked him though.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

kaesarsosei posted:

So is Stan Lee cool now? I thought I read a load of stuff over the years on how he totally shafted Kirby, and that Kirby was the real creative genius behind Marvel whilst Lee was the business guy. I always liked him though.

I think for a long time the narrative was that Stan was the genius who created everything while nobody else really mattered. Then as a counter to that, popular opinion became that he was a bit of a shyster who dicked everybody over and took credit for stuff that he had no involvement in.

I get the feeling now that people have settled on the truth being somewhere in the middle. Stan's influence in some areas might have been overstated, but its also incredibly simplistic to just say that it was 100% Kirby or Ditko.

I might be a naive idiot, but I look on them as unequal collaborations that only endure because the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

That mostly comes from someone posting a newspaper interview with Kirby on the web 1.0 with all the fact-checking of the claims of the then-senile Kirby conveniently left out. Stan contributed as much as Kirby and Ditko to early Marvel, but he was also the only one who had to handle the business and promotion side of things, so he made decisions that were lovely as a creative partner because he thought they were necessary as someone trying to keep the company in the black. He was an egomaniac happy to take credit for everything that wasn't nailed down but he never denied anyone else's contributions either. There's a lot to criticize him for over the years, but the idea that Jack Kirby did everything by himself (which is really rude to Steve Ditko, Don Heck and the other early Marvel contributors) and then evil Stan Lee took all the credit and money is about as true as the people who think Mr. Rogers was a sniper.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My pretty vague and probably not totally accurate read of it was that Kirby is more responsible on the worldbuilding aspect, the design of characters, stuff like that, but Stan Lee is much more responsible for the more grounded storytelling and political relevance side of Marvel. Kirby's Black Panther was a cool scifi tale, but it took until he left for Black Panther to start addressing US racial politics. Similarly, Ditko drew Spiderman, but the With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility business is pretty anathema to Ditko's politics and a lot to do with Stan Lee.

You have to think in terms of how all of these characters developed after their initial creation, and basically Kirby etc just weren't around for that, while Stan was at the helm.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea in later years, Lee was straight up talking about working with Jack and Steve and the rest on stuff, so he seemed to be more willing to admit it wasn't just all him.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

kaesarsosei posted:

Oh, he's a pretty big piece of poo poo for a few reasons. People have always liked him, though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lee did bad stuff but also did important things for the medium of comics that are not in dispute. He’s still absolutely a legend.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
You're telling me he wasn't perfect?

Jesus christ what a monster

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Collapsing Farts posted:

He liked beans in his chilli.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Rhyno posted:

So he liked chili too?

He truly was a hero.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

*flips table*

MOTHERFUCKER

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Chili without beans is just greasy meat soup, so in this case Stan was absolutely correct

don’t @ me

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Chili without beans is just greasy meat soup, so in this case Stan was absolutely correct

don’t @ me
You’re correct

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The best cameo was in the Teen Titans Go movie and they should just use that from now on.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It is too bad he'll never make an appearance in a good FF movie.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
When Marvel studios finally gets around to making a Fantastic 4 movie/streaming show they can cut out and insert his scenes from the Tim Story movies.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I always thought of it as Stan Lee giving a face to Marvel that people could latch onto, as opposed to muddying things up with "Here's a bunch of guys that did some stuff." Like, Disney isn't all Mickey Mouse, but Mickey Mouse is the figurehead of Disney.

Stan Lee made himself known as THE guy, but I never felt like it was at the expense of anyone else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

His work as a Marvel Ambassador was legitimately valuable to the company years after he had stopped writing, even if it essentially doubled as self-promotion.

In fact at one point in the 90s I believe they tried to fire him because they felt he wasn't doing anything for them and their media and con contacts kinda dried up and they had to hire him back.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Collapsing Farts posted:

Guy had a bunch of sexual assault and harassment allegations following him into the grave. You don't have to minimize everything with desperate, reaching sense of ironic detachment.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Guy had a bunch of sexual assault and harassment allegations following him into the grave. You don't have to minimize everything with desperate, reaching sense of ironic detachment.

Yeah Stan Lee hit on my mom at Motor City Comic Con 2013. Even though I'm already inclined to believe women I definitely believe he would do this.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 13, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lee was the face of Marvel and pretty much if it wasn't for his constant promoting of the brand the characters we no or love might not be around anymore. For better or worse, Lee was the pitchman who made sure everyone knew who Spiderman and the X-Men and Fantastic Four were.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Koalas Massacre posted:

Yeah Stan Lee hit on my mom at Motor City Comic Con 2013. Even though I'm already inclined to believe women I definitely believe he would do this.

Old men think they can do this with impunity because "Hey I'm an old man lol! You can't feel threatened by me!" It's gross

PS. Sorry for the extra sass I gave you in the other thread

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Old men think they can do this with impunity because "Hey I'm an old man lol! You can't feel threatened by me!" It's gross

PS. Sorry for the extra sass I gave you in the other thread

Well I thought it was funny at the time because I was a young shithead and she had no idea who he was. It was a running joke in our family for awhile which is super hosed up in hindsight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Unless something else has come up that I'm unaware of (which is entirely possible), the only source of the claims made against Stan Lee are anonymous women quoted in Daily Mail articles. While other outlets reported the story, they all used the Daily Mail as their primary source. To say the Daily Mail is not a credible source is putting it mildly.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Unless something else has come up that I'm unaware of (which is entirely possible), the only source of the claims made against Stan Lee are anonymous women quoted in Daily Mail articles. While other outlets reported the story, they all used the Daily Mail as their primary source. To say the Daily Mail is not a credible source is putting it mildly.

Nonsense. The Daily Mail is a very vital source of news. Without their Snapchat feed, I would never know about the Kardashian's nipples.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Well, the Daily Mail and this thread.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t recall any allegations coming up in the book about Marvel by Sean Howe who was pretty thorough.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

A massage therapist sued him after those first batch of allegations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think the best summary about Stan's contributions to Marvel is this old article from Chris Sims that calls him "simultaneously the most overrated and underrated creator of all time".

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dan Didio posted:

A massage therapist sued him after those first batch of allegations.

Filing a lawsuit doesn't mean the allegations were true.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Are we still doing this?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jeff Lemire's Black Hammer has been optioned for movies and television. It is about a group of heroes who find themselves trapped in a small farm community that they are unable to leave.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Koalas Massacre posted:

Have you ever been around dementia patients? That poo poo does not come on instantly and often manifests as inappropriately behavior. Given his last years I wouldn’t really go judging him for poo poo he said when he was 90.

(For context, worked as an EMT in an area with a lot of dementia patients, and had a lot of weird poo poo go down to the point I usually wanted an extra person in the ambulance with me as a witness with certain patients)

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 14, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Filing a lawsuit doesn't mean the allegations were true.

Go on.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Koalas Massacre posted:

Well I thought it was funny at the time because I was a young shithead and she had no idea who he was. It was a running joke in our family for awhile which is super hosed up in hindsight.

I don't think "hitting on someone" is "super hosed up". You make it sound like he groped your mother or something, which would be super hosed up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1062870147885490176?s=19

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
God, if only I could excise the words "Harley Quinn spinoff" from that headline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The other day I got to see a screening of Ralph Breaks the Internet. A very small spoiler, but Stan Lee shows up during the Disney website section. This viewing was happening the day Stan died, so the whole theater let out a sad, "Aw..."

• Locked thread