Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Dias posted:

Kaze ni Nare is a power ballad, it builds up and "kaze ni nare" is a very fun thing to sing. Become the fuckin' wind, motherfucker.

It’s just a weird place to have a power ballad, and Suzuki is totally not the person I would expect to have one,

But heck, I’m just an alcoholic Irishman, and now that I’ve got context maybe it’ll make more sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nilbop posted:

Its just a weird place to have a power ballad, and Suzuki is totally not the person I would expect to have one,

But heck, Im just an alcoholic Irishman, and now that Ive got context maybe itll make more sense to me.

Oh, it doesn't make any sense at all but then again Akira Hokuto walked in to Oro de Ley and that's even weirder but that song also slaps.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

What, are YOU gonna tell Suzuki his theme's weird?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Nilbop posted:

It’s just a weird place to have a power ballad, and Suzuki is totally not the person I would expect to have one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0P-SgpwYnE

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Man that is such an 80s song I love it. Now that I've got NJPW World I should probably watch this even (Wrestle Kingdom 7, someone says in the comments?)

Also who's the singer? She rules.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ayumi Nakamura. He has the outfit she wore for that performance on display in front of his shop.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

projecthalaxy posted:

maybe Carlito failed in wwe because vince is biased against body guys.

Thank you. I didn't know anyone else saw his Body Guy gimmick which was kinda funny

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Nilbop posted:

Why is Minoru Suzuki’s “Kaze ni nare” chant popular?

It’s like a full minute into an already very slow song and I don’t understand its meaning or why anyone would feel pumped enough to shout it, but it’s there all the time.

I thought that philosophical zombies were just a thought experiment, yet here I am, witnessing an empty vessel completely lacking in consciousness or emotions.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Can we have a Hot Take Of The Month poll so that “chops are bad” can duke it out with “Kaze Ni Nare is bad”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Most people don't even know that Volk Han came out to "Cruel Angel's Thesis."

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I've only been watching New Japan since June and I legitimately cannot imagine Minoru Suzuki coming out to any other music.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

I've only been watching New Japan since June and I legitimately cannot imagine Minoru Suzuki coming out to any other music.

It would be as hosed up and wrong as watching Meiko Satomura not enter to Rock Your Life Away during the Mae Young Classic was.

Also on the subject of Kaze ni Nare, this might get me entered into Jesus WEP's bad take or the month poll but I prefer the 2018 version.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Suzuki gets very angry if you don't clap and sing along with the music.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Nilbop posted:

But heck, I’m just an alcoholic Irishman, and now that I’ve got context maybe it’ll make more sense to me.

Suzuki is a big fan of the singer, got her music as his entrance, and everyone likes it because 1: It's Suzuki, 2: It's pretty catchy, 3: it builds to that cathartic moment where she sings Kaze Ni Nare and everyone else can.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
New Japan fans are very defensive of Minoru Suzuki's theme music because New Japan themes in the glory years were much worse than All Japan themes in the glory years. They like to pretend that this one is otherworldly even though it's not close to the best theme.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1018158422703919105

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So does Become the Wind mean Suzuki is gonna strike fast and be impossible to catch like the wind or does it mean "make like the wind and run the gently caress away cause Suzuki is coming"

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

VJeff posted:

So does Become the Wind mean Suzuki is gonna strike fast and be impossible to catch like the wind or does it mean "make like the wind and run the gently caress away cause Suzuki is coming"

Don't hang around to find out, if in doubt, run.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pro wrestling is truly the king of sports.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Von Linus posted:

Suzuki is a big fan of the singer, got her music as his entrance, and everyone likes it because 1: It's Suzuki, 2: It's pretty catchy, 3: it builds to that cathartic moment where she sings Kaze Ni Nare and everyone else can.

Specifically she was his favorite idol growing up (she started in the early 80s when Suzuki was a teenager), and one of his dreams was that he would have one of her songs be his entrance song.

And in 2004, he got better than he dreamed for when she wrote a song for him. These days, she’s leaning on the song and the association with Suzuki pretty hard, I want to say she helped write the Suzuki-Gun faction theme too in addition to making the anniversary remix of Kaze.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

Yes

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

MassRafTer posted:

Pretty much everyone left without notice because that's what Vince wanted. The list would be like, nearly everyone except for Heenan and a few other exceptions.

Follow up question then - who joined Vince from where? Hogan, Ventura, Heenan all came from AWA but I don't really know who came to WW(W?)F during the big expansion. If there's an article or something somewhere that I could read feel free to just aim me in that direction.

PS: Other question still stands, are there any books about that time period in wrestling? (And are any of them worth reading?)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Berzerker posted:

Follow up question then - who joined Vince from where? Hogan, Ventura, Heenan all came from AWA but I don't really know who came to WW(W?)F during the big expansion. If there's an article or something somewhere that I could read feel free to just aim me in that direction.

PS: Other question still stands, are there any books about that time period in wrestling? (And are any of them worth reading?)

Not really. Some of the docs are good, Memphis Heat, Jim Crockett Promotions The Good Old Days, Heroes of World Class but there hasn't been a great book on that era.

Mean Gene, Hennig, Vachon, Martel and a bunch of others came from AWA.

Macho Man and Lanny came from Memphis although both had worked more for their dad's defunct outlaw promotion than Continental.

Jimmy Hart came from Memphis.

Harts, Davey and Dynamite came from Stampede. Vince also pulled a scumbag move and pulled out of the deal a year later, not paying Stu what he owed him.

Dibiase and JYD came from Mid South.

The list goes on and on but those are the ones I can name off the top of my head.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thanks, that gives me somewhere to start looking into it for sure.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This isn't strictly a wrestling question but it's something I've wondered about. Somebody earlier in here or maybe the WCW thread said casual wrestling fans also watch stuff like UFC. I remember in Death of WCW Alvarez talked about how football and other sports fans also watch wrestling when their football isn't in season anyway.

For people who like both, why is that? Naturally people can like two different things but the implication seems to be some crossover appeal and I don't see it. Wrestling isn't just a sport, it's like a play or melodrama or something. Sure people are fighting but there's a "plot" to it all. I think that is a big reason I like wrestling and don't like any of the other stuff. (Well I guess I like hockey 'cause I was raised in Detroit)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are a lot of reasons for someone who likes watching fights to also like watching staged fights. I don't really know where to begin. For one, I can't watch my favourite MMA fighters every week or every month.

(I rarely watch MMA these days, though. Maybe now that Bisping is retired I'll get back into it.)

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

This isn't strictly a wrestling question but it's something I've wondered about. Somebody earlier in here or maybe the WCW thread said casual wrestling fans also watch stuff like UFC. I remember in Death of WCW Alvarez talked about how football and other sports fans also watch wrestling when their football isn't in season anyway.

For people who like both, why is that? Naturally people can like two different things but the implication seems to be some crossover appeal and I don't see it. Wrestling isn't just a sport, it's like a play or melodrama or something. Sure people are fighting but there's a "plot" to it all. I think that is a big reason I like wrestling and don't like any of the other stuff. (Well I guess I like hockey 'cause I was raised in Detroit)

The NFL, UFC, and WWE tailor their products to the same demographic

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
edit: wrong thread

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 14, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Just think of it as “why do boxing fans like action movies” and it’s not really that hard to see. Sports are just a different version of entertainment that are similar to the presentation of wrestling

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Pro wrestling has always been a sport at heart. Even with all the "theater" trappings and outlandish storylines and gimmicks, even when everyone knows it's staged, when you strip it down to its core it's a sport of cool tough guys beating each other up. That's always going to have crossover appeal with fans who also like watching cool tough guys beat other up in football/boxing/MMA/whatever.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
The NFL is the only other sport i follow at all closely, and the announcers and espn talking head type assholes are always babbling about whatever the current "narrative" and storylines about the week's games, regardless of how grounded in reality it is, so there's some kind of attempt at the dramatic storytelling kind of marketing/presentation wwe does in a way

I mean colin cowherd and skip Bayless are both basically just cutting dumbshit promos to fill tv time

Monkeycheese fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 14, 2018

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand
Short question -- as far as we know, is Becky Lynch definitely not gonna be in Survivor Series? It looked like her nose was surely broken

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

eljackass posted:

Short question -- as far as we know, is Becky Lynch definitely not gonna be in Survivor Series? It looked like her nose was surely broken

Will be out several months.

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand

rovert posted:

Will be out several months.

thank you! :)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They didn't have her vacate the title, which says to me they expect it to not be too long- maybe in time for the Rumble- but that could change.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Becky. :smith: Get well soon.

Apparently turned face, though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There goes any kind of push for Nia.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Randaconda posted:

If she turned face she wouldn't have gotten her nose busted.

:v:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

Can we have a Hot Take Of The Month poll so that “chops are bad” can duke it out with “Kaze Ni Nare is bad”
It is fascinating to me how expressing that I think chops look stupid has driven people so insane that they're still thinking about it a week later like totally normal and well-adjusted people do about the opinions of others on things this ephemeral.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Randaconda posted:

She turned face when she won the title. She basically stopped tweeting kayfabe "You people" stuff and was very much pro-fan and just poo poo-talking her opponents after that, which is basically how that gimmick becomes a face.
It's like Stone Cold or Tetsuya Naito. You still act like a cocky rear end in a top hat to the heels, you just play to your fans while you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

be careful about calling everyone here nuts OR crazy. Trust me on that one, because i created that idea yesterday and it's been a huge burden ever since