Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Alchenar posted:

Said it before and saying it again; making strategy-RPG characters fun and interesting is a solved problem and the answer is that stats are boring and irrelevant and if they are going to exist then ideally they're something the player doesn't interact with much and a permanent distinguishing features of characters, while perks are great and you need to have a wide field of them to prevent obvious choices.

The 'problem battletech has is that the real characters are the mechs and there's just not much space for pilots to shine as individuals.

E: UNLESS (for game 2) you permanently attach pilots to their rides. Then a lot of interesting options open up.

tying pilot to 'mech would probably wind up with some kind of Shadowrun-like system, where you hire different mechwarriors from mission to mission and they bring their own 'mechs.

another way to do it might be to tie pilot to class, so Dekker will only pilot light 'mechs (maybe has a Light Mech Pilot perk tree?), and so on for different classes (or styles?) of 'mech. Maybe you've got some autistic missile-wizard who gets perks for lrms or srms or something i dont know.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

for a second i thought you said artistic muscle wizard and got really excited

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Xarbala posted:

Atlas posted:

I CAST FIST!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Xarbala posted:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Roguetech is kicking my rear end. I feel a little scummy for it but I had to turn both contract rewards and salvage up to generous just to break even (I almost always wound up running three 'mechs instead of four after a few months) and I still get my rear end handed to me by some missions. Battle contracts and Assassinate contracts are especially punishing; if the game drops eight lovely lights on me I'm probably hosed because at that point I've only got whatever randos I start with and I don't have any of the tools I'd use to counter evasive 'mechs unless I spring some hard-earned money for pulse lasers or streak SRMs. Sensor Lock really, really needs to be a first-tier perk. Melee used to be good against evasion but it's really lovely now because most 'mechs only punch for medium laser-ish damage. I feel like I'd be doing better if I could scrape together a lance of medium 'mechs and fight other mediums (who don't have 4-7 pips evasion) but in order to do that I have to take risky contracts when I don't have the spare 'mechs to comfortably do that. It's really, really aggravating when I've got a tricked-out Dagger or Venom or something and one light gauss or PPC goes right through my ECM + NSS/Stealth + 7 Evasion and blows half the 'mech off.

I never thought I'd be so desperate to have something like a Shadowhawk.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 12, 2018

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
gently caress me rigid but melee can be devastating in this game.

Banshee gimmick build with 6* machine guns and I'm penetrating torso locations in one hit and cooking off people's ammo like there's no tomorrow. :black101:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Can't wait to pimp out a [slayer]Hatchetman[/slayer]:black101:

Breetai posted:

Banshee gimmick build with 6* machine guns and I'm penetrating torso locations in one hit and cooking off people's ammo like there's no tomorrow. :black101:

If you have that many MG's get a pilot with a decent tactics skill and called shot the head. You can turn pilots to pulp if you are lucky.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Breetai posted:

the grasshopper also works really well for this, especially with master tactician. lots of support weapon slots plus jump jets means you've got a lot more mobility (and thus melee application) than an assault 'mech.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Phrosphor posted:

Can't wait to pimp out a [slayer]Hatchetman[/slayer]:black101:

If you have that many MG's get a pilot with a decent tactics skill and called shot the head. You can turn pilots to pulp if you are lucky.

Can't you only inflict one injury per called-shot hitting the head, though?

I am of course ignoring headcapping the mech.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

yeah but if you're headcapping just go balls-deep into tactics and pack an AC/20 or something

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Wait, did I read this right? 1 ac20 ammo pack is 5 rounds? Aka 1/4 a full shot?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nasgate posted:

No, its 5 full shots. Ammo is listed in number of full shots not rounds.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Nasgate posted:

Each round represents a full shot, unlike the missile launchers. That said, 5 turns of ammo is still not a lot.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Nasgate posted:

for autocannons, the number refers to the damage not the number of actual bullets fired. otherwise yes, AC/20s are the most fitting-intensive autocannons, not only are they like 14 tons but you also need to pack two or three tons of ammo as opposed to most other ammo weapons which need one (sometimes two) tons for a decent fit.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 13, 2018

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The good news is that at 100 damage a shot your followup weapons should be enough to finish the job. Also King Crabs can carry two of them and have plenty of leftover tonnage for some lasers or SRMs making them the coolest mech in the game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I managed to get a lucky headshot kill on a Kintaro when I had 3 salvage slots, so now I have a Kintaro. It was pretty awesome in the starting mission, so I'm wondering if it's worth taking. This is what my mech bay looks like right now:

And I currently take out the Trebuchet (2 days of repairs from that last mission), the Shadowhawk, the Centurion, and the Vindicator (3 days of repairs from the mission)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

binge crotching posted:

I managed to get a lucky headshot kill on a Kintaro when I had 3 salvage slots, so now I have a Kintaro. It was pretty awesome in the starting mission, so I'm wondering if it's worth taking. This is what my mech bay looks like right now:

And I currently take out the Trebuchet (2 days of repairs from that last mission), the Shadowhawk, the Centurion, and the Vindicator (3 days of repairs from the mission)

Centurion, Kintaro, Shadow Hawk, and Laserback are your best mechs, in that order.

Blackjack and Trebuchet aren't worth using, but the Vindicator is an alright sub.

Assuming custom fits, that is. Rule of thumb is missiles are better than other weapons, so more missile hardpoints makes a better mech. Centurion and Hunchback have 31.5 tons of room, Shadow Hawk and Kintaro have 28 tons, Vindicator has 28.5.

Blackjack has 28.5 but it's all ballistics and energy. Trebuchet has 26.5 tons so just leave it home.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

binge crotching posted:

Just fill it up with srms and punch things when you need to cool down.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So in this brave new Battletech world, how much would another Leopard cost? Or better yet an actual jumpship?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

evilmiera posted:

So in this brave new Battletech world, how much would another Leopard cost? Or better yet an actual jumpship?

You'd need to overthrow at least one government

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I put a medium laser & 5 SRM6s on the Kintaro, and it's entertaining as hell. 5 tons of ammo so I can fire off 10 full salvos, unfortunately they are all regular SRM6s, no + or ++ ones. I used it to complete a 2 1/2 star mission vs two heavy mechs, capturing one of them.

It's weird not having the extended range of the 2x LRM20s that I had on the Trebuchet, but the Kintaro can definitely take a lot more of a beating than that Trebuchet could. And now that I'm starting to see heavy mechs, I think I'm going to need the heavier armor more.

I tried taking the Hunchback out, and it basically overheats instantly. Apparently a full blast of all those lasers uses up 96 out of 100 heat. It's not fast enough to run up and punch people while overheating, but it did tank some hits pretty well while it was slowly trudging toward the enemy. I already have one slow mech in the Centurion, I'm not sure I want to bring a second one. I have 2/3 parts for a second Shadowhawk, so if I can complete that one I'll just bring two of them instead.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

evilmiera posted:

Isn't the Argo a secret jumpship? You'll notice that it looks like a compact jumpship in the game.

They also, in an interview, said that it was a jumpship and would need to be repaired to be one again (I'm assuming that will be a future expansion though).

That interview was one of the first ones they gave, and they never mentioned the Argo being a jumpship again.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

spacetoaster posted:

Isn't the Argo a secret jumpship? You'll notice that it looks like a compact jumpship in the game.

They also, in an interview, said that it was a jumpship and would need to be repaired to be one again (I'm assuming that will be a future expansion though).

That interview was one of the first ones they gave, and they never mentioned the Argo being a jumpship again.

Well it has its own docking collars (which is where the Leopard hangs out) which isn't usually a feature for a dropship, so you may have something there.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I think they chalked that interview up to confusion on the difference between a dropship and a jumpship.

edit: maybe it was at one point, but I don't think it's supposed to be one at all at this point.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

If the Argo isn't a jumpship I'll eat my loving hat. It shares a lot of aesthetic cues with the jumpships (esp. the forward section), it's conceptualized as a long-range explorer sort of vessel, it's got loving spinning hab-pods for long-term space living, it's got docking points for dropships and aerospace. There is no way this thing did not have a KF drive at some point.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I really think it'll have it's jumpdrive "repaired" in some future expansion.

Q_res posted:

I think they chalked that interview up to confusion on the difference between a dropship and a jumpship.

I don't think so. It was during the kickstarter campaign and I bet they hadn't nailed down exactly how they wanted the story to play out yet so they let a little more about the Argo slip out than they would if they gave the interview now.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

jng2058 posted:

Well it has its own docking collars (which is where the Leopard hangs out) which isn't usually a feature for a dropship, so you may have something there.

It also apparently takes up two docking collars on the jumpship judging by the jump sequence cutscene.

evilmiera posted:

Jumpships are hilariously unprofitable for a merc company unless you need multiple dropships to move around your group.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 13, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I swear they said the Argo is a jumpship when I got it(yesterday). Or at least they said something about not having to rely on jumpships or something because of the upgrade.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Uh if the Argo has a KF core wouldn't it be extremely bad to attach it to another jumpship? Wouldn't the cores rip each other out of their respective hulls when the ship hauling the Argo tried to jump? Or am I overthinking this due to my unnecessarily comprehensive knowledge of a 30 year old badly mismanaged fictional franchise.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nasgate posted:

I swear they said the Argo is a jumpship when I got it(yesterday). Or at least they said something about not having to rely on jumpships or something because of the upgrade.

Yeah, I recently got the Argo and they mention that now we don't need to rely upon the normal jumpships.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

binge crotching posted:

I tried taking the Hunchback out, and it basically overheats instantly. Apparently a full blast of all those lasers uses up 96 out of 100 heat. It's not fast enough to run up and punch people while overheating, but it did tank some hits pretty well while it was slowly trudging toward the enemy. I already have one slow mech in the Centurion, I'm not sure I want to bring a second one. I have 2/3 parts for a second Shadowhawk, so if I can complete that one I'll just bring two of them instead.

I've rigged a HBK-4P as a impostor crab. Two LL, one in each arm and 2 ML on the torso along with jets and HS. Works well with my 6 Tactic Multi/Bulwark sniper to leg units that the twin SRM SHDs can pounce on afterwards. The slow speed isn't as much of an issue for dual LL and the overall great heat capacity means I cool down slightly when only firing the LL, I can jump whenever I need to. The MLs get saved for burst damage or multi-shots to finish fallen/strip evasion.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Battletech: overthinking this due to my unnecessarily comprehensive knowledge of a 30 year old badly mismanaged fictional franchise. :D

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Uh, thanks for the third Shadowhawk game(ml+ head crit decap). Why would I want a heavy or any other medium?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Amechwarrior posted:

I've rigged a HBK-4P as a impostor crab. Two LL, one in each arm and 2 ML on the torso along with jets and HS. Works well with my 6 Tactic Multi/Bulwark sniper to leg units that the twin SRM SHDs can pounce on afterwards. The slow speed isn't as much of an issue for dual LL and the overall great heat capacity means I cool down slightly when only firing the LL, I can jump whenever I need to. The MLs get saved for burst damage or multi-shots to finish fallen/strip evasion.

That's a good idea, since I have a +5 damage large laser I can put on there. I'll refit it next time I play and see how it works.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

binge crotching posted:

I put a medium laser & 5 SRM6s on the Kintaro, and it's entertaining as hell. 5 tons of ammo so I can fire off 10 full salvos, unfortunately they are all regular SRM6s, no + or ++ ones. I used it to complete a 2 1/2 star mission vs two heavy mechs, capturing one of them.

It's weird not having the extended range of the 2x LRM20s that I had on the Trebuchet, but the Kintaro can definitely take a lot more of a beating than that Trebuchet could. And now that I'm starting to see heavy mechs, I think I'm going to need the heavier armor more.

If you're gonna use the Hunchie 4P consider tearing down the armor on your left and right arms to free up tonnage for heatsinks. The Hunchback's gimmick is pooling all its firepower into the right torso so you can forgo the entire left half of your mech honestly. It's risky as all hell but the bump in early firepower is worth it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

binge crotching posted:

You're running your designs way too hot. Try the HBK-4P with 6 medium lasers in the hunch and 10 heatsinks plus extras (2~3 small lasers, 4 JJs).

3xSRM6 + 2mlas (+4 JJs) CN9-A is a bigger shitwrecker than that Kintaro because it can actually keep on vomiting damage without needing to melee. Just plants itself, and shoots until everything dies.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

General Battuta posted:

Uh if the Argo has a KF core wouldn't it be extremely bad to attach it to another jumpship? Wouldn't the cores rip each other out of their respective hulls when the ship hauling the Argo tried to jump? Or am I overthinking this due to my unnecessarily comprehensive knowledge of a 30 year old badly mismanaged fictional franchise.

Sure would, but presumably the Argo's KF core is long since missing, stolen, destroyed, or whatever. If/when they ever do an Argo Expansion that lets you beg/borrow/steal a KF core from somewhere, then you can go full jumpship. Right now, the Argo is just a big dropship with a hole in the back where a KF core used to be.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Uh, thanks for the third Shadowhawk game(ml+ head crit decap). Why would I want a heavy or any other medium?

Right after posting this I decapped/pilot killed the entire enemy Lance. Got Wolverine packing 3 srm6 and 6jj. I assume that's a good build since slapping an AC on there would think my armor a lot.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I haven't played in a bit, but yeah, as I recall the line goes something like "well she's supposed to be a jumpship but she's also a wreck, so" and presumably they just never bring the KF drive back online/it's not even actually there anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Argo isn't and was never a jumpship; it's an exploration/colonization vessel mean to operate as part of a fleet that ferries it around.