Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Johnny Depp still has a career.

Johnny Depp's career is now mostly a secondary character in a secondary Harry Potter franchise. He lasted longer than most people expected, but I wouldn't necessarily call his current career a success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What? The whole movie is named after his character and it's going to make a billion dollars.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm surprised they haven't had his face changed yet again so he's not in the next movie.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
It baffles me that he's in those movies. They could have hired some hotter younger dude they wouldn't have had to pay as much and they wouldn't have to slatter a ton of make up on a corpse to make him look like a somewhat living person who doesn't suffer from halitosis.

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Nov 11, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please refer to him as Peoples magazine two time winner of the sexiest man of the year award Johnny Depp

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Please refer to him as Peoples magazine two time winner of the sexiest man of the year award Johnny Depp

And he's not even the worst aging Sexiest Man Alive.

Sexiest Santa Alive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think Depp is mostly coasting on momentum. Before anything bad came out about him, he became one of the world's biggest superstars. His fame and box office draw are at the point where the only thing that will kill it is a credible arrest for rape or murder. Banks didn't even wait for more than a Wikipedia article before engaging in animal sacrifice, saying racist poo poo about Zayn Malik, and getting 3 assault charges in one year (including clawing at a guy on an airplane so she could disembark faster). It's like being awful just comes naturally to her.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Nov 11, 2018

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Johnny Depp is not that big a deal now. Yeah he's Grindelwald but the movie's star is still Eddie Redmayne and Depp is kida sharing his spot in the movie with Jude Law's Dumbledore. Disney is even trying to reboot Pirates now, and they're getting the Deadpool writers so don't be surprised if we get pirate hero Captain Ryan Reynolds.

The only Depp I care about now is his hot daughter Lily-Rose. Freakin' fiveheads always gets me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Beachcomber posted:

Man, I thought they were Australian...

You've just managed to alienate all Scottish people!

:argh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samovar posted:

You've just managed to alienate all Scottish people!

:argh:

You Scots sure are a contentious people.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

my favorite Johnny Depp movie is The Web

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm excited for grizzled old man Johnny Depp movies coming out in the 2020's.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On actors who don't seem to age, I always thought that a good choice for a Dorian Gray story would have been Elijah Wood. He never stops looking fairly young and can sell innocence pretty well because of it. You could believe that even with a bunch of evidence pointing towards him, no one would suspect him of wrongdoing. Every other version of that character ends up looking fairly evil from the start (Penny Dreadful had the best take on him) so it's bizarre that anyone trusts him enough to be in a position to be harmed by him.

Also an important aspect of the character that gets ignored in adaptions is the sense of shame, - IIRC he hides his portrait because he is ashamed of what he is becoming, despite his attempts to fool himself otherwise. At the end of the novel he is so disgusted by what his portrait, and by extension he, has become that he slashes it up, and then kills himself. No one even realises he's dead, all they find is a slashed portrait of a missing person, and an old man who no one recognises, riddled with disease and with his throat cut.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

You can absolutely get stuff like that, and it's not actually all that expensive, compared to poo poo like Hermés.

An extremely nice tailor-made suit from high-quality Merino wool can be had for less than $2500, no problem. Or much less than that if you get it made in Asia while on vacation. One of my colleagues had two Merino wool suits made in India a couple of year ago for like $850 total, and they are outrageously nice.

I'm sure you can get a very nice set of custom-made boots for like $1-2000. As a bonus, they can be repaired and restored and resoled for decades to come.

This is what smart people with money do. They get bespoke stuff made for quality, not for flashing the brands.

There's a bit like that in Discworld. Vimes is rich enough to spend 50$ on boots, to never need another pair in his life, because they'd be sturdy enough, but he still likes his 5$ ones, in a cardboard box, that last a year. He muses that the rich stay rich by being rich enough to not spend money on upkeep pretty much.

I imagine it scales up to a house at least. Spend 100k on a house, and you own a house, all you have to do is maintain it (not free, but see further). Can't spend 100k? Rent, rear end in a top hat, 500+ a month, or it's the bus stop for ya.
Numbers are out of whack, but yeah.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Serperoth posted:

There's a bit like that in Discworld. Vimes is rich enough to spend 50$ on boots, to never need another pair in his life, because they'd be sturdy enough, but he still likes his 5$ ones, in a cardboard box, that last a year. He muses that the rich stay rich by being rich enough to not spend money on upkeep pretty much.

I imagine it scales up to a house at least. Spend 100k on a house, and you own a house, all you have to do is maintain it (not free, but see further). Can't spend 100k? Rent, rear end in a top hat, 500+ a month, or it's the bus stop for ya.
Numbers are out of whack, but yeah.

I remember some sort of article that basically going "You need to be rich to be poor". You get a good quality product with a larger price and it'll last much longer, but you can only afford the low-cost one which ends up being more expensive, local groceries being more expensive than in far away supermarkets, but you'll need a car and so on.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I remember some sort of article that basically going "You need to be rich to be poor". You get a good quality product with a larger price and it'll last much longer, but you can only afford the low-cost one which ends up being more expensive, local groceries being more expensive than in far away supermarkets, but you'll need a car and so on.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160315132013/http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-being-poor/
https://web.archive.org/web/20160822095847/http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-stupidest-habits-you-develop-growing-up-poor/

It's gotta be one of those two, I almost guarantee it. He mentions for example how much they'd be able to save on TP if they could buy the more expensive (but more cost-effective) value pack with more rolls. Maybe a long shot and it's the article about his bedridden mum who, shame on her decadent filth, owns a refrigerator.

Also Cracked has gone full scorched earth and has removed their old stuff huh?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It was definitely not a clickbait page from Cracked, I meant an actual article.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Serperoth posted:

Also Cracked has gone full scorched earth and has removed their old stuff huh?

I think it was specifically John Cheese, who was accused of being a sex pest (and basically copped to it, iirc).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Samuringa posted:

It was definitely not a clickbait page from Cracked, I meant an actual article.

That was back when Cracked did actual articles. Clickbait-y, but they've done some good pieces.

Whitlam posted:

I think it was specifically John Cheese, who was accused of being a sex pest (and basically copped to it, iirc).

Ah I had no idea. Good riddance to him then, that's why archive.org exists

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Old Cracked articles are barely readable now between their image hosting dying and formatting changes anyway.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I read that as John Cleese at first and wasn't too surprised what with him being an old guy Brexiteer

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Serperoth posted:

That was back when Cracked did actual articles. Clickbait-y, but they've done some good pieces.

Ah I had no idea. Good riddance to him then, that's why archive.org exists

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/cracked-sexual-harassment-controversy

quote:

Later that day, Cheese, now editor in chief at The Modern Rogue, posted an admission and apology on Medium.[2] He stated he was reported for sending sexually explicit DMs and his column on Cracked was removed. The following day, Jane responded on Medium[3] calling his apology "half-assed" and "damage control," and further voiced accusations against Cheese from other women, including:

Grooming and emotionally manipulating a teen
Preying on 18–19 year old “fans” for “at least a decade”
Being emotionally abusive to past partners
Toting his column/portfolio as proof of his professional dominance to young writers
Unprompted, sexually explicit, emotionally abusive messages to both random women as well as multiple women he worked with.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I am pleasantly relieved that John Cleese is just a boring old coot and not a sex-monster.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I am pleasantly relieved that John Cleese is just a boring old coot and not a sex-monster.

He's a British celebrity we might be surprised yet!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

RagnarokAngel posted:

He's a British celebrity we might be surprised yet!

Would it really be surprise?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah at this point we'd be surprised if it came out that he wasn't somehow molesting children on the set of Monty Python

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Really glad John Cheese is a piece of poo poo, always thought his unfunny "Woe is me, I grew up poor" articles were poo poo. Now my irrational hatred of him is totally justifiable.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

GrandpaPants posted:

Would it really be surprise?

Everyone sure acts surprised every single time!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Monopoly is for nobody. It is a bad game.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Has anyone been seeing more of the Progressive "act you age" commercials? They usually feature a millennial doing baby things with the tagline "act your age", implying they should get off their parents insurance and get their own. It strikes me an incredibly tone-deaf

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Has anyone been seeing more of the Progressive "act you age" commercials? They usually feature a millennial doing baby things with the tagline "act your age", implying they should get off their parents insurance and get their own. It strikes me an incredibly tone-deaf

Its not aimed at you. Its aimed at boomer parents, because they make more money off four people (2 parents, 2 kids) with three plans than they do off of four people with one plan.

It's to convince the parents that their kids are lazy and entitled and are only 'acting like adults' if they're paying 40% more for their insurance by being on a solo plan.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Pennybags is lit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Pennybags is an accomplished capitalist. Why would he even want a participation award?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Pennybags is an accomplished capitalist. Why would he even want a participation award?

This is Millennial Pennybags, he wants it Ironically.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I was wondering if that was a real thing and welp.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
At least it's ironic and making fun of millennial stereotypes. It's no worse than one of those collegiate Monopoly games like the Penn State one with football showers in lieu of Baltimore Avenue.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man y'all are weeks behind in this one.

I unironically want to play it and will probably grab it when it inevitably drops to $10 clearance. It can't date itself any worse than my Cleveland Monopoly from the early 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Len posted:

Man y'all are weeks behind in this one.

I unironically want to play it and will probably grab it when it inevitably drops to $10 clearance. It can't date itself any worse than my Cleveland Monopoly from the early 90s

wow, "weeks behind"? did you make this game?