Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=62152

Neat (also very short) demo for a Doom TC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This is by the guy who made Doom: The Golden Souls (and its sequel) for anyone who needs an incentive to check it out!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I wanna know about that golf mod they mention in the thread to be honest.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Blood Dragon and Far Cry 4's story is about the only Far Cry story I actually liked. 1's just a really bad B-movie take on The Island of Doctor Moreau, I like 2 for the story told through gameplay because it's so unrelentingly brutal that each playthrough and firefight plays out differently but the actual literal story about The Jackal is insufferable and the game seems to think accelerationism is the solution to countries ravaged by civil war in Africa, 3 had you play as an obnoxious frat boy who decides to go all white saviour on a tribe who is clearly using him and 5 is about a murder cult who end up being correct and the game keeps mentioning how poo poo the US is but is too afraid of actually naming the political and societal problems in the US leading to crazed drugged murder cults i.e. Trump.

On the other hand Blood Dragon was a fun ride through 80s action movie ridiculousness and 4's story was quite well done where as awful as Pagan Min is, the Golden Path really isn't a whole lot better and having to decide the future of Kyrat is a pretty tough choice with no real brilliant solution. It helps that the protagonist is a native of Kyrat too, albeit one who immigrated to America as a child.

I've never played Primal so I don't know how the plot of that game fares.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gloomy Rube posted:

I wanna know about that golf mod they mention in the thread to be honest.
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=61021

Should be out reasonably soon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I can't believe how excited I am for a golf mod for Doom.

Blood Dragon is the only Far Cry I've played. I want to play 1 and 2 though, although I hear they have some notable flaws. Primal seems interesting, but I absolutely refuse to play anything that requires UPlay. It pissed me right the gently caress off when I played Blood Dragon.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

catlord posted:

Blood Dragon is the only Far Cry I've played. I want to play 1 and 2 though, although I hear they have some notable flaws. Primal seems interesting, but I absolutely refuse to play anything that requires UPlay. It pissed me right the gently caress off when I played Blood Dragon.

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know, but Far Cry 1 is almost a totally different subgenre of FPS than the sequels. FC2 is where the rest all took their cues from. The true spiritual sequel to FC1 was Crysis.

In short, FC1 is expansive but still mission-based, not open world.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Far Cry 1 is the predecessor to Crysis. It has nothing to do with Far Cry 2 onward.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh, absolutely, Far Cry 2 strikes me more as a STALKER-esque game which is why I'm interested. As for 1, well, I'm expecting Crysis but kinda rough. And I like the idea of The Island of Dr. Moreau B-movie game.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

UPlay sucks a lot less poo poo than it used to. It's still dumb that it exists on Steam games, but it pretty much stays out of your way once you log in once.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

catlord posted:

Oh, absolutely, Far Cry 2 strikes me more as a STALKER-esque game which is why I'm interested. As for 1, well, I'm expecting Crysis but kinda rough. And I like the idea of The Island of Dr. Moreau B-movie game.

It has the same problem of Crysis in that the mutant enemies are completely unfun to fight in Far Cry 1. Unlike Crysis, where the Ceph only appeared towards the last 25% of the game and most of the game was still a ton of fun, the Trigens are sprinkled throughout so you get an uneven experience of good levels where you clear out mercenary outposts followed by horribly lovely levels in dark corridors shooting Trigens, before you're back in large open levels with mercenaries again.

As for Far Cry 2, it's not really STALKER though some mods kinda skew it that way, but it is a fairly difficult and intentionally unpleasant game. It also has amazing technology that not even Far Cry 5 bothered to retain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeEvQ68jY8

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 13, 2018

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
far cry 2 kicks rear end

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It has the same problem of Crysis in that the mutant enemies are completely unfun to fight in Far Cry 1. Unlike Crysis, where the Ceph only appeared towards the last 25% of the game and most of the game was still a ton of fun, the Trigens are sprinkled throughout so you get an uneven experience of good levels where you clear out mercenary outposts followed by horribly lovely levels in dark corridors shooting Trigens, before you're back in large open levels with mercenaries again.

As for Far Cry 2, it's not really STALKER though some mods kinda skew it that way, but it is a fairly difficult and intentionally unpleasant game. It also has amazing technology that not even Far Cry 5 bothered to retain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeEvQ68jY8

Unfortunately Far Cry went from a series developed first and foremost for the PC to one for consoles, and the current gen has weak-rear end CPUs that can't handle the kind of physics calculations you would need for primo nerd stuff like realistic fire spread.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In Far Cry I got stuck on the part where you get shoved out of the helicopter, and are expected to maneuver down a narrow canyon filled with Trigens while wounded and having almost no ammo.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That was the last level, and trust me, it gets far worse from there. That entire level was total horseshit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ETPC posted:

far cry 2 kicks rear end

It's criminal that it never got ported to a better engine where the cells didn't get killed the second you left them (to be reloaded intact the second you come back in) and where enemies don't take a million bullets to kill (at least you can mod that).

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

It was fun watching the mercs fight the trigens and then killing whoever was left (sort of like the flood-covenant fights in Halo) but the biggest problem is many of the trigens can insta-murder you and it felt cheap.

With that said im tempted to pick it up on Steam sale. I remember the game feeling so big, Beautiful,and expansive, it felt like a revolution in 2004 but I’m unsure if my nostalgia for it holds up.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

catlord posted:

Blood Dragon is easily the best Far Cry. It skips most of the boring open world filler that plagues much of the series and has a funny, simple story instead of trying to be edgy.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I really didn't like Blood Dragon, but I think I may be the only one. The gameplay was just a shittier version of Far Cry 3, in my opinion. I also really didn't like how the game has all these stealth systems in play but seemingly don't expect you to use it. If a game has a stealth system, I'm going to try to use it, which only led to frustration. I've tried coming at it without using the stealth, but drat it I can crouch! and that guy cant see me! and neither can that guy! and theres an alarm I can disable! and, and, and...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Blood Dragon isn’t that good. The basic concept is kind of funny and they certainly milk the hell out of it, but there’s nothing special about the gameplay.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nothing was ever improved by less Michael Biehn.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The writing is a one-note, puerile joke, the neon aesthetic is fun for an hour before it gets incredibly boring, and the gameplay is a dumbed/scaled down version of FC3's that isn't even saved by a couple of funny weapon ideas, which still feel generically identical to vanilla guns in spite of having a different model.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

The writing is a one-note, puerile joke, the neon aesthetic is fun for an hour before it gets incredibly boring, and the gameplay is a dumbed/scaled down version of FC3's that isn't even saved by a couple of funny weapon ideas, which still feel generically identical to vanilla guns in spite of having a different model.

Yes, but unlike Far Cry 3 it only lasts about an hour so its way better

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I loving loved the idea of Jericho--God's abomination, a city of the damned that slowly accreted pieces of other places and times like the rings of a tree, a task force developed to combat the typical Barker-esque monstrosities with a mix of military hardware, sci-fi, and occult tech, etc. The execution was terrible, though. I think it was one of the dudes who developed the isometric Brigador who also wrote a pretty interesting and comprehensive article that broke down all of the game's mechanical and aesthetic sins. Such a shame that it was botched the way it was, because it would have been nice to have another Barker FPS to succeed Undying.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

catlord posted:

It's been so long since I played Far Cry 1. I genuinely can't remember much about it besides liking it.

Far Cry 2 is one of the most up and down games I've played. It really gives a good guerilla combat feeling while not having as many aides like melee/stealth combos that FC 3 and on had. I actually also kind of dig the weapon quality system where crappier guns will often jam/malfunction and sometimes even explode while firing. You'd definitely do yourself a service playing it modded. One of the biggest problems comes from enemies in the open world. You have to drive all over a huge map between where you get missions and where you carry them out. On the way are checkpoints and roving enemy patrols. If you clear the checkpoints out, they respawn when you move like fifty feet out. You can't just drive through the checkpoints or outrun mobile patrols as they chase you down and disable your vehicle. Then you have to get out, kill them, repair the vehicle, and keep going every time. You can't disguise yourself or anything, so you're pretty much stuck to always taking a turreted car, stopping at the checkpoint/patrol, mowing everyone down, fixing the car, then going back on your way. You can run into multiple checkpoints and enemy patrols between destinations. Then there's the malaria system where you catch the disease and have to take a pill every once in a while. You get like 2 or 3 pills at a time and have to perform a mission if you want to get more.

I like Far Cry 3, but the villain switch around the halfway point takes the steam out of the story, and the new part of the world that opens up is a lot less interesting than the starting ones. Even then, I still like it, I just tend to stop at the second half when I replay it.

Blood Dragon's pretty good. I had no interest in anything outside story missions, but that alone was enough to let me enjoy it.

Far Cry 4 is good. Wish I had more time with the villain, but I think it's the best-written of the series and I love vertical-styled maps.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can anyone link me to the sound clip that you heard all the time back in the day on HL1 mod servers of people clapping, whistling, and hooting in approval?

You know the one I'm talking about. Usually played when someone capped a flag or something like that.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Despite slagging on it some, I have to say that Far Cry 4 is one of my favorite games of recent years. It's open world and has tons of side quests, random events and b-plots, but never felt overlong or padded. I put fifty hours into my playthrough and loved every minute. I'd go so far as to call it one of my desert island discs. If you've dodged the series thus far, I'd highly recommend 4 as a standout.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yes, but unlike Far Cry 3 it only lasts about an hour so its way better

Yep, this is why BD is easily the best of the series. It doesn't have any faults that aren't shared by the other Far Crys and it doesn't waste the player's time.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can anyone link me to the sound clip that you heard all the time back in the day on HL1 mod servers of people clapping, whistling, and hooting in approval?

You know the one I'm talking about. Usually played when someone capped a flag or something like that.

This one?

I love the crispy compressed sounds of goldsrc, so nostalgic. My first multiplayer game on PC was one of the early counter-strike versions and I still remember that ultra compressed version of Rossiniana II, Op 120 clearly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq_kvVLG3Fg
Here it is, guit1.wav :allears:

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 15, 2018

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

HolyKrap posted:

This one?

I love the crispy compressed sounds of goldsrc, so nostalgic. My first multiplayer game on PC was one of the early counter-strike versions and I still remember that ultra compressed version of Rossiniana II, Op 120 clearly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq_kvVLG3Fg
Here it is, guit1.wav :allears:

That's the one! I knew this thread would come through.

Yeah, the old compressed sound of 90's FPS games are ingrained into my brain. The newer Duke Nukem quips sound really weird because it's way too high quality - Duke will forever sound like the one from Duke 3D to me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
My Doom 2 Map11 replacement "Control Tower" is ready for testing. EDIT: Version 2 posted. The narrow switch maze is completely gone and replaced.

I suppose I should say a little about the theme first. Like Doom 2, this mission is about reaching the switch which controls the barrier keeping Earth's human survivors from fleeing in their spaceships. You have reached the corrupted control tower. Starting high above the ground, you must circle the tower, entering each of the four doors to progress, Unfortunately, barriers force you to travel only one direction around the circle. You'll need to make one full loop, then three more loops 3/4 of the way around, battling reinforcing monsters with each loop. After obtaining the red skull key, there will be one final clusterfuck of a battle.

It's playable from a pistol start on Ultra-Violence. The difficulty is probably moderate, with nasty spikes in a few areas. I haven't put on the final level of polish yet, or added scenery to the giant yard surrounding the tower but it's complete. I'd like to know what needs to be changed, what works, and what doesn't work before adding the last level of polish. Feel free to be harsh, I'm honestly not sure if my design choices were good or bad. I strongly recommend using "idmus23" to change the music to the same track used on MAP23, Barrels of Fun, as that fits this level better than the default Map11 music. I'll look into changing that myself in the finished version.

This map was designed to work with ZDoom, although I think the only special actions I used were autosaves, so it should probably work with most ports.

Known issues
I also need to find a reject map editor because there's a bug which lets the center area be seen from the outside. I had to turn a certain enemy facing a different direction to stop them waking up.

Non-issues
The 'O' being always visible on the map is intentional, not a bug.
Blue Key Door - Enemies in multiple rooms being alerted is intentional, not a bug.

Screenshots
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mQSYA0Je0NBIcZEpOP0vnuHwc-7vWoMg/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n8At-vxkSc3VEAcWWUsGa7aakM1TfGJ5/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14aWD8B4husa-nlVrxvZXNdPsJVY2sk_R/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QzWSxKGpkevsF_BDaOx1mZM9Y9T5dD7g/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yQMJHNdqeqZpWf6BZ7xmsFo2rKCvaIRS

Link to Map:

STC-Tower-BETA2.zip
This is version 2, with the narrow switch maze completely replaced.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 18, 2018

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GUI posted:

I thought Far Cry 5's ending was funny but I disliked every single character in the game including the mute main protagonist, so "oh and suddenly a nuclear bomb explodes and everyone dies" was the perfect wrap-up to me.

Far Cry 4 did it much better.

Far Cry 2 had the best ending. All relationships fall apart as all these foreign meddlers kill each other and the locals I'm an orgy of violent greed.

It's the perfect way to wrap up a game about a war torn Africa

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pomp posted:

Far Cry 2 had the best ending. All relationships fall apart as all these foreign meddlers kill each other and the locals I'm an orgy of violent greed.

It's the perfect way to wrap up a game about a war torn Africa

I prefer Far Cry 4's ending. Just wait 10 minutes and the game ends.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Far Cry 4 was the first time I ever did the "help the bad guy" thing in a game that wasn't on a second playthrough for completionist's sake. I became pretty thoroughly disgusted with the two rebel leaders but figured one of them was better than Pagan, but overall I liked Pagan enough that I didn't want to kill him.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Far Cry 4 was the first time I ever did the "help the bad guy" thing in a game that wasn't on a second playthrough for completionist's sake. I became pretty thoroughly disgusted with the two rebel leaders but figured one of them was better than Pagan, but overall I liked Pagan enough that I didn't want to kill him.

I've had people say Pagan Min is still worse than the two rebel leaders but I'm honestly not sure how. If you side with Sabal, he enacts a theocratic fuelled genocide against anyone who wasn't a devout follower of his religion during Pagan Min's reign (most of the population in other words) and legalizes child marriage. If you side with Amita, she goes full Pol Pot by killing anyone who doesn't contribute to her vision of Kyrat's economy and kidnaps children as slave labour to use in drug fields and dangerous sweat shops, with her idea of equality for all being everyone is equally a slave. Pagan is a tyrannical dick but he never wanted genocide or child slavery so he has that going for him at least.

I guess the best ending is to depose Min and then killing the surviving rebel leader in the post-game, which leaves Ajay the ruler of Kyrat by default and then hoping he does something better for the country after the events of the game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I guess the best ending is to depose Min and then killing the surviving rebel leader in the post-game, which leaves Ajay the ruler of Kyrat by default and then hoping he does something better for the country after the events of the game.
The funny thing is that the game almost accounts for this.

You can pick an ending where one rebel leader wins, the other is alive, and Min is dead. The comments from NPCs will reflect this and they'll praise or worry about the outcome accordingly. If you kill off the winner (which the game leaves an opening for), the NPC chatter immediately switches to account for the outcome that the one you left alive is now in charge… but if you then kill them off, that's not accounted for.

I seem to recall (but it was years ago so don't quote me), that just killing everyone off at the earliest opportunity still leaves the game state — at least as expressed by the NPCs — as if the winning rebel leader is still in charge, but the fact that it can account for having both be alive, and then one gets killed seems to suggest that there was some thought about the player's post-game actions even if they never implemented it fully.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
No, the best ending is to do nothing at the start. :colbert:

For its faults, the non-standard endings are a cute touch in far cry games.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Thyrork posted:

No, the best ending is to do nothing at the start. :colbert:

For its faults, the non-standard endings are a cute touch in far cry games.

Yeah, I appreciate it. My problem with the FC5 one is that it implies that you and the older marshal are doing it out of saving your own necks to leave the county the fate of Midwestern ISIS, and not "Let's just come back here with an assload of Feds because we clearly got this wrong. That, or grab him in a more opportune manner."

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Casimir Radon posted:

Far Cry 5's ending is basically saying that you're a terrible person for trying to stop the rapey Evangelical murder cult, and that they were right about the end of the world. :bravo: Ubisoft, you've really made me think.

It's about you breaking the seventh seal and ushering in the cataclysm that way.

It was a fine ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The best ending is certainly waiting ten minutes for Min to come back, going on a trip to deposit the ashes, and then loving the hell off. Kyrat is completely hosed sideways no matter what happens but at least you can get yourself out of there.