Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I guess I'm stupid, never used the handbrake if the car wasn't parked at the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd been driving for ten years by the time using the handbrake was suggested to me. It just never crossed my mind.

But I've also never driven stick in the notorious parts of Seattle or San Francisco.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xzzy posted:

I'd been driving for ten years by the time using the handbrake was suggested to me. It just never crossed my mind.

But I've also never driven stick in the notorious parts of Seattle or San Francisco.

Oh hell yeah, in SF I'm sure the handbrake gets a workout. Hell I've had my manuals that would "creep" down the driveway if not in proper gear.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Find the biggest hill at an intersection with a stoplight. Be first in line. Have the car behind you be a few inches from your bumper. You'll learn real quick.

the Si has automatic hill hold for 2-3 seconds, and a mode you can engage where it holds the brakes indefinitely until you hit the gas

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

and furthermore comma

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Miss the old days where someone would say "Hey, wanna drive it?" and well you were proficient with a manual yet you would say "Yeah, but I'll probably kill it a couple times".

And for the record, never did the 3 on the tree. Never had the opportunity.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Where did you guys learn to drive?

It really weirds me out when people refer to using the handbrake as some sort of clever 'trick' and then bitching that people don't give them enough space on hills - if you are rolling back at all then you are doing it wrong.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

xzzy posted:

Don't need no handbrake, just rev higher than normal with your heel then dump the clutch as you roll your toes off the brakes.

yeah if some asshat wants to get too close on a hill a blast of gravel to the grill is what they rightfully earned

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

sandoz posted:

the Si has automatic hill hold for 2-3 seconds, and a mode you can engage where it holds the brakes indefinitely until you hit the gas

i always wondered how effective this was or if it was just like when you have an automatic idling in a slight hill and it can still roll back sometimes

i haven't seen anyone stall out a car in years come to think of it. whenever i think i do i realize its one of those weird german cars that seemingly turns off at every stoplight but you can hear it start up again

my stupid question is what is that? i don't think these are hybrids?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It’s start/stop, for fuel and emissions efficiency. It’s also annoying as gently caress if they don’t also include electric heating and AC to go with it. Basically, the thing has a big enough started to get the car moving, or they count on it being able to start immediately, every time, which is going to bite someone in the rear end a few years down the road, when it doesn’t start immediately.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Just learn like I did

Dad took me out in his Corolla, said "do this this and this"

As I stalled it and panicked in the middle of traffic, he said "fine I'll show you how it's done" and drove us home

Then my brother took me out and I learned the ropes after 2 lessons

Easy

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Buy manual on Friday. Get to work by Monday.

It's that easy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My pet peeves with people learning to drive manuals is when they don't understand how to upshift smoothly or revmatch on downshifts.

I have an acquaintance who has been driving stick for several years and still doesn't understand either of these concepts.

Same for a coworker who bought a BRZ and is a terrible driver. He'll start on a hill or parking garage ramp in 3rd gear and nearly kill the engine each time. He also will put the transmission into neutral, clutch out, and coast down the road going 50+ mph. (I don't ride in cars with him anymore.)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My dad explained the mechanics of it one day, then like a month later at work I was asked to drive the company Tacoma to a project and when they asked I lied and said yes. I got out of the shop and down the street and the boss never new, of course I killed it at the next stop light but no harm.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I lucked out and had a friend that drove a manual and had worked the Mecum auctions as a vehicle mover. I pulled the trigger on a manual Geo Tracker on Craigslist and had no clue how to drive one. He took me to a flat parking lot and did pretty much what everyone else described. Showed me how to get it going and had me drive into first and second without using the gas. Then had me drive it home!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I learnt to drive on a manual and only relatively recently switched to an automatic.

The only quirk I have is that if I do a very hard emergency stop, my left foot tries to stomp the floorboards into the tarmac.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'd driven a few cars with manual before, but never far.
Then I got a job at a GM dealer. I had to drive a customer's car (96 sunfire) around to the service department, and decided to take it on the road to the next driveway. I either revved it too high, without letting out the clutch enough, got scared and stopped to try again, or stalled it.
It wasn't much of an incline at all :suicide:. I backed it up, and just drove around the back of the building instead.

Finally told my boss "I need to learn" so he gave me a dealer plate that night, and the keys to an old beat rear end civic from the mid 80s or so that was parked at the back of the lot. My dad drove it home, while I drove his car. After dinner, he took me out to teach me. Back when they had driver's ed in schools, he taught that poo poo. Also he was a regular teacher too.

I learned, and then after sundown I went out for a drive on some back roads. I had no idea, that there were no tail, brake or signal lights in the back of the thing until some guy came roaring up behind me, then slammed on the brakes, and started flashing his light.

I learned like a motherfucker though.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

MetaJew posted:

He also will put the transmission into neutral, clutch out, and coast down the road going 50+ mph. (I don't ride in cars with him anymore.)

Borescope the mainshaft. I'm interested how bad the scoring from neutral coasting really is.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

Just learn like I did

Dad took me out in his Corolla, said "do this this and this"

As I stalled it and panicked in the middle of traffic, he said "fine I'll show you how it's done" and drove us home

Then my brother took me out and I learned the ropes after 2 lessons

Easy

Once it clicks, it clicks. It really is like riding a bike.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

It’s start/stop, for fuel and emissions efficiency. It’s also annoying as gently caress if they don’t also include electric heating and AC to go with it. Basically, the thing has a big enough started to get the car moving, or they count on it being able to start immediately, every time, which is going to bite someone in the rear end a few years down the road, when it doesn’t start immediately.

The system on my Mazda (it's on every Mazda here) works fine, if AC or heat is required it'll disable itself automatically and it fires up as soon as you touch the clutch (it uses some sort of system that barely needs the starter, much quicker than in a VW or whatever)

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I learned on a 67 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup with a heavy clutch, 350 out of 71 El Camino SS, headers, Elvis on cassette, and a couple of sisters in the back yelling go.
First car was a 74 Mazda RX4, 4 spd, that I got for $300. You could rev the poo poo out of that thing, drop the clutch and just spin the little 13" tires.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MetaJew posted:

My pet peeves with people learning to drive manuals is when they don't understand how to upshift smoothly or revmatch on downshifts.

Sure. Also need to float gears.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Why do Americans/Canadians call the handbrake an “emergency brake”? Outside of total brake failure I can’t see many emergencies that would be helped by pulling the handbrake.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Why do Americans/Canadians call the handbrake an “emergency brake”? Outside of total brake failure I can’t see many emergencies that would be helped by pulling the handbrake.

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways? Because languages develop organically, are ultimately completely arbitrary, and people conceptualize complete phrases as atomic linguistic elements that they never give a second thought. See: couldn't care less, all intensive purposes, or ATM machine. I'm sure there's some chain of events that led to the current situation but it's almost guaranteed as boring and academic as "why do the British call car trunks the boot?"

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 14, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Because they almost all drive automatics, rely almost exclusively on the parking pawl, and only know the lever as the emergency brake because they've never used it for parking.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

tbf its how you get the rear end to drag out on front wheel drive cars without a flick which is actually useful in emergencies and lovely weather

but the average person calling it an emergency brake probably won't actually ever use it for this

in newer cars the "e" brake may as well stand for electronic which is ironic because another big part of what makes an emergency brake befitting the slang is that you are physically pulling that poo poo with a lever/wire instead of your pedal. but like if your brake pedals are ever so mushy from neglect i doubt the handbrake is going to even work at that point so lol

i think hand brake is the best use for it unless your parking brake is the lovely kind that you have to crunch into the floor with your foot and isn't nearly as easy to disengage while driving

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Ah yes, the "dump the clutch with no throttle input" method of downshifting. Had a similar coworker. He was also a fan of banging it off the rev limiter right out of the parking lot with stone cold oil. Good times.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Granny shifting, not double clutching like they should.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Go drive an Italian car with a single clutch automated manual.

Maybe they're okay when brand new but every one I've driven or ridden in has felt like utter trash even if you try and properly modulate the throttle. The worst one I've encountered was a rental Fiat Punto that has less than 20k km on the clock - if I had to go any further I'd have taken it back and got whatever crappy Japanese import Nissan the trash rental company could provide.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

dissss posted:

Go drive an Italian car with a single clutch automated manual.

Is this the poo poo that Smart ForTwos have for their poo poo-rear end transmission?

I swear those dreadful pieces of crap feel like a drunk toddler trying to drive a stick for the first time.

They are terrible for so many reasons, but their horrendous "automated manual" transmission is absolutely the worst. Probably made worse by the fact that the only ones I've driven have all been abused Car2Gos, but still.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways? Because languages develop organically, are ultimately completely arbitrary, and people conceptualize complete phrases as atomic linguistic elements that they never give a second thought. See: couldn't care less, all intensive purposes, or ATM machine. I'm sure there's some chain of events that led to the current situation but it's almost guaranteed as boring and academic as "why do the British call car trunks the boot?"

Couldn’t care less is actually the correct one though

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

Buy manual on Friday. Get to work by Monday.

It's that easy.

That's how I learned. Dad took me out in the neighborhood for an hour after he got home from work one night then said "you're on your own" to get to my lovely summer job the next day. I made it. Burnt a bit of clutch and rubber but I made it. Still have never owned an automatic car.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

They say ATM machine and irregardless on NPR all the time and I swear they do it on purpose.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

its actually really cool that brits call flashlights torches

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

how about maybe shut the gently caress up, the UK and US both suck rear end

apparently customer added 27 liters of coolant to the crank case, a new record.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

all intensive purposes

That one is just stupid people who don't understand the language that they are speaking.
"Emergency" brakes are at least useful in the emergency that your primary brakes fail.

They went so far as to put that one in the dictionary.

My favorite is twits who use "literally" like "figuratively."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

how about maybe shut the gently caress up, the UK and US both suck rear end

What about Canadians?

quote:

apparently customer added 27 liters of coolant to the crank case, a new record.

It's almost like those fill caps for fluids under the hood aren't clearly marked or something.

Edit: lovely shade of pink/purple, though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm surprised at how many car enthusiast type people don't really know how to rev-match or heel toe downshift. Once I was riding with a customer who spent big money on his sti and even took it to a few track days. He got the point of rev-matching, but not the heel-toe part, so he'd be braking, and then take his foot off the brake to blip the throttle, which was horrible and jerky. That dude smoked meth and was loving nuts and I really should not have been hanging out with him as much as I did.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Rev matching is more like "rev it close enough ¯\_(ツ)_/¯", right? I match maybe 1/4 times where I don't get a jolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Shrapnig posted:

That's how I learned. Dad took me out in the neighborhood for an hour after he got home from work one night then said "you're on your own" to get to my lovely summer job the next day. I made it. Burnt a bit of clutch and rubber but I made it. Still have never owned an automatic car.

I had a friend teach me to drive a stick in his old Chevy Monza in one day. I bought a 1974 Beetle six months later. I stalled it three times on the way home. With in two days, I had it down pat.