Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why would you turn AIS ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Vat are you zinking about?

lol i got that ref

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stairmaster posted:

Why would you turn AIS ever

If you're a warship and don't want literally the entirety of seafaring nations to know where you are, for example.

In a busy port on your own coast? Probably a good time to turn it on.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Welp it sunk some more.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It seems like they got really lucky that there was no loss of life with the extent of holes in the hull

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Casimir Radon posted:

Vat are you zinking about?

A good commercial.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

It seems like they got really lucky that there was no loss of life with the extent of holes in the hull

Considering the amount of fuckups involved, this was mostly dumb luck that it didn't hit at a slightly different angle that would have mulched some of the crew.

As for anything that happened afterwards, well... I sailed on these ships for 3 years, and I'm happy I got out when I did.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think that guy has the all time record for most monetary damage caused due to a fuckup in this thread.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:rip:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

The Valley Stared posted:

It's a lot of failures all lining up at the same time: Someone on the bridge not watching or misinterpreting what they're seeing, someone in combat not seeing the entire radar picture, deciding to not have your most experienced people driving the ship during a high traffic area, things like that and all happening at the same time. Crew fatigue can also play a huge role.

What really surprises me is that the frigate didn't have on its AIS. You'd think NATO ships in their own home country would feel secure doing that considering it was a key failure point for both the Fitzgerald and the McCain collisions last year (according to the report released).

The Swiss Cheese Model or whatever. I think that's a little too simple for the complexity of the issues but it helps as an analytical tool. I did a report on part of this for a change management class among others and part of my questions now center on the culture of the organization and its rigidity vs flexibility. If you clearly define how every single operation must be done and create a rigid structure to prevent accidents, what happens when an unforeseen event occurs and you have no flexibility?

Risk is hard to estimate so there's a good chance they either thought they were safer/better than they actually were or they had a level of inexperience insufficient for the task and didn't need to make any changes.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

lightpole posted:

a level of inexperience insufficient for the task and didn't need to make any changes.

Arguably, it also appears that the crew of the frigate may have had juuuuust the perfect amount of inexperience for the task.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh yeah, that's done.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ooh. Ooh yes that’s quite a bit worse than yesterday.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If they knew the tanker was there, and they couldn’t work out a safe way to go around, why didn’t they just stop and wait for it to pass...? Am I crazy? I don’t know anything about ships, but isn’t that a no-brainer?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

canyoneer posted:

the crash looks like it tore off the ship's barcode too, so even if they had made it back into port they'd have no way to scandinavian.

I’m giggling like a jackass, thank you this hungover cq shift ain’t so bad now

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Vengarr posted:

If they knew the tanker was there, and they couldn’t work out a safe way to go around, why didn’t they just stop and wait for it to pass...? Am I crazy? I don’t know anything about ships, but isn’t that a no-brainer?

It's the military

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AGGGGH BEES posted:

I think that guy has the all time record for most monetary damage caused due to a fuckup in this thread.

It’s like he saw the whoopsie that guy had with the F16 and figured he could do one better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vengarr posted:

Ships can’t really “stop.” The best they can do to slow themselves rapidly is to throw everything in reverse. Honestly not super duper up on how well an OHP Frigate can slow, but it’s not something you do often or in traffic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ships can’t really “stop.” The best they can do to slow themselves rapidly is to throw everything in reverse. Honestly not super duper up on how well an OHP Frigate can slow, but it’s not something you do often or in traffic.

When you said 'in traffic' for some reason I got this image of the helmsman bang shifting the FFG to pass.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s like he saw the whoopsie that guy had with the F16 and figured he could do one better.

More like the guy who scrapped a nuclear attack submarine because he wanted to go home early.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
So what's the next step for the frigate - I'm guessing a 90% submerge means it's pretty much hosed, or can it be refloated and restored/repaired?

I'm also guessing whatever happens, they'll need to decommission it, remove missiles from the VLS etc?

Also how many russian subs/frogmen are hovering around that area right now? :eyepop:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

So what's the next step for the frigate - I'm guessing a 90% submerge means it's pretty much hosed, or can it be refloated and restored/repaired?

I'm also guessing whatever happens, they'll need to decommission it, remove missiles from the VLS etc?

Also how many russian subs/frogmen are hovering around that area right now? :eyepop:

Even the russians won't be mad enough to swim into that boat, it's hardly stable.

They're going to salvage it, lift it on a barge and move it to the main naval base, as far as I've heard.

It's also 100% hosed. Before this last change, I would have called it 60-80% hosed. Watertight compartments get compromised after a while as hatch seals and hatches give in to the water pressure, especially as the boat settles deeper.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Turn it into a USS Buttercup style vessel.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, it's not like they would have had to slow down fully to avoid a collision. They knew the tanker was there well in advance, right?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

how exactly do you salvage or refloat a boat?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Well, if we count near misses then waaaayy early on in the stinking depths of the thread I remember somebody admitting to accidentally invading Syria via some incompetent map-reading and nearly causing a major international incident. There but for the grace of God etc etc.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

You fill enough of the internal spaces with air bags to force the water out so that you regain positive buoyancy, then you use something like this to get it back to drydock/the salvage yard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Blue_Marlin

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think every job is a custom job, but here’s a ferry that got refloated by a few insane engineers. I think they could displace water in the various compartments with compressed air, hauling it up with a gigantic claw-thing (Project Jennifer by the CIA did this to steal part of a Russian sub), or (in a feat of insane engineering), slide a bunch of straps under the ship, haul it up to what looks like a sunken dock, then float that dock over a ship that can lift the formerly-sunken ship out of the water.

https://youtu.be/a7WmvIC4hZQ

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fill it full of ping pong balls

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
If you're the CIA in the 1970s trying to "recover" a lost soviet submarine, you build a big-rear end erector set and pin it on Howard Hughes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Azorian

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

You know how ducks float? You tie ducks to it.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

sharknado slashfic posted:

You know, dead bodies float too :thunk:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You're not allowed to dive at the sites of WWII shipwrecks because they are considered war graves.

This is a career grave, so it's probably safe.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Can we tie witches to it instead? Granted, it's dicey. If they're not really witches, they're not terribly buoyant, but I think this is an avenue worth pursuit.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Here’s an old but gold article on sea salvage https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/amp

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

As Nero Danced posted:

If you're the CIA in the 1970s trying to "recover" a lost soviet submarine, you build a big-rear end erector set and pin it on Howard Hughes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Azorian

Still one of the coolest damned things after Apollo that we did as a country.

canyoneer posted:

You're not allowed to dive at the sites of WWII shipwrecks because they are considered war graves.

This is a career grave, so it's probably safe.

Doesn't stop everyone:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2017/nov/03/worlds-biggest-grave-robbery-asias-disappearing-ww2-shipwrecks

Basically, they are dropping explosives on deep water sunken warships and using cranes/magnets to salvage pre-nuclear era warship metal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

[/url]

Basically, they are dropping explosives on deep water sunken warships and using cranes/magnets to salvage pre-nuclear era warship metal.

This annoys the poo poo out of me because you can make low background steel today, you just have to filter the air really really well.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Midjack posted:

This annoys the poo poo out of me because you can make low background steel today, you just have to filter the air really really well.

yeah but :effort:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I was weirdly reading about other salvage today about the Ocean Ranger, a massive offshore drilling rig that sank off the coast of Newfoundland. A Dutch company refloated it and dragged it, upside-down, further off shore to re-sink it. I googled around but couldn't find any pictures of them towing it upside down further out to sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

Doesn't stop everyone:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2017/nov/03/worlds-biggest-grave-robbery-asias-disappearing-ww2-shipwrecks

Aside from the whole issue of being war graves, as an archeologist turned naval historian this pisses me the gently caress off because now we can't use the wrecks to learn more details of exactly how those ships were lost in battle.