Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Methanar being banned from the thread seems to have worked in his favor:

http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=caster+minion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Methanar being banned from the thread seems to have worked in his favor:

http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=caster+minion

karthus otp

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Methanar add me on League I wanna learn Karthus my IGN is Down Singedrome

I’m not joking come coach me

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
im going to be a derpy champion main.

nunu/bard/ivern maybe singed

what other champion am i missing?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Season Nine is going to be great

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

godDAMN I know who I'm maining next season

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
why does he remind me of bastion from overwatch??

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

he's Destiny from the Destiny series of games

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am playing some Taric and holy poo poo is he fun. people just underestimate his damage and tankiness and forget to run away and then they die. The only thing I don't like about him is that once you buy the Armor of the Fifth age skin, all other skins are dead to you. But I do think he needs a K/da A-ward.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 13, 2018

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Slaapaav posted:

im going to be a derpy champion main.

nunu/bard/ivern maybe singed

what other champion am i missing?

Fiddlesticks. Maokai. Heimi.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

frajaq posted:

Season Nine is going to be great

yeah, next season i think I am going to just one trick something stupid and fun like zed or yi mid or something like that.

first i am going to take a break for a little bit though.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Dregs posted:

I am playing some Taric and holy poo poo is he fun. people just underestimate his damage and tankiness and forget to run away and then they die. The only thing I don't like about him is that once you buy the Armor of the Fifth age skin, all other skins are dead to you. But I do think he needs a K/da A-ward.

armor of the fifth age will always be GOAT but baywatch taric is really really close

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Methanar actually ate a 2 week ban for saying gently caress you in one single game and won’t get any rewards or master for it :lol:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Methanar actually ate a 2 week ban for saying gently caress you in one single game and won’t get any rewards or master for it :lol:

hahahahaha

I think I am really toxic in game, I do worse poo poo than this sometimes. I told someone to stfu last night because they told me I roamed to river too slow!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
When I'm on tilt I play Teemo support.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Guess the champion: Win rate by tier VS pick rate by tier

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sexpansion posted:

Guess the champion: Win rate by tier VS pick rate by tier

Tryndamere.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
significantly more popular than the average champion across all ranks, but hard to play well with bronze/silver mechanics or knowledge, hmmm

i'll say either lee sin or akali (or taliyah, but that's just because i know taliyah mains have the highest average rank, i don't think she has the popularity for this chart tho)

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Monathin posted:

Tryndamere.

good guess, but Trynd's graphs are a bit more of a mixed bag

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Spokes posted:

significantly more popular than the average champion across all ranks, but hard to play well with bronze/silver mechanics or knowledge, hmmm

i'll say either lee sin or akali (or taliyah, but that's just because i know taliyah mains have the highest average rank, i don't think she has the popularity for this chart tho)

lee is a good guess, but wrong. Lee appears to be picked about the same amount across the higher tiers

Lee's graphs:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Probably zed. Maybe it has to be someone that falls off because only pros can reliably end games with them

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My bet would be on Akali. I get the impression she's left unbanned a lot in lower tiers, which skews the rates more than her actual level of power would suggest.

Akali is an interesting case study of champion power levels. She has an absurdly steep mastery curve with several strong counter matchups, and the stats bear this out: she's got an abysmal average winrate, hovering around 46-47%. Despite this, she's got a nearly 70% ban rate in Plat+. I think her actual power is overstated for the average solo queue game, but she's so goddamned frustrating to play against that no one wants to deal with her even if she's the kind of trap pick that tends to lose more than she wins. Wouldn't surprise me if you eventually saw her W creeping up to a 29-30s CD early on, as I think that's what tends to rankle people the most about playing against her.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Probably zed. Maybe it has to be someone that falls off because only pros can reliably end games with them

very good

edit:

Akali's graphs

I think Akali is just banned a lot in higher tiers and that's probably part of why her pick rate is lower

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 13, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I wonder what the correlation in general is with Pick rate by rank tier vs win rate by tier across all champions. It can't be inverse for every champion, right?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Good players don’t fear him because if he doesn’t snowball he’s a non issue. Just gotta respect him

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Spokes posted:

I wonder what the correlation in general is with Pick rate by rank tier vs win rate by tier across all champions. It can't be inverse for every champion, right?

Zed is extremely pub stompy but is pretty easy to shut down. First is just don't feed him. Even if he gets fed you can pick somebody somewhere else like nautilus and just stand on him the entire game. It's amazing how many low ranked games you win with little more than "I have a stun."

The pub stompiest champs tend to not be banned though. Amumu has always been ridiculous but people just don't think about it. All they can see is that oh no the hyper carry snowballed! Usually they didn't do it totally alone.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 13, 2018

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

good guess, but Trynd's graphs are a bit more of a mixed bag

what happened to trynd 1tricks today

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Speaking up for low elo folks, akali is banned everywhere. No one wants to deal with that smokescreen

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Great news if you're a toxic lil poo poo: you have until February 11 of next year to hit Honor 2 to receive your ranked rewards. This only applies to chat restricted accounts; there's no leeway for temporary bans.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That’s good to know I’ll finally be able to get rewards so that my friend xN1GG3RSL1TTERx can’t brag about his when we duo

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vermain posted:

Great news if you're a toxic lil poo poo: you have until February 11 of next year to hit Honor 2 to receive your ranked rewards. This only applies to chat restricted accounts; there's no leeway for temporary bans.

”a post on the riot boards in reply” posted:

It is because of furry SJW's such as yourself that this stupid loving community has died over the years dude if i were you i'd check myself buddy.
I love league of legends!!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

That person is NOT adhering to the Summoner's Code.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Community has died?

Whats is he talking about, been awhile since I played a lot of LoL but it still looks drat popular

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It feels less toxic these days then when I played before back in 2012.

Nowadays you just get people angryly pinging at each other the path of ganking the jungle should've taken from a failed gank 5 minutes ago and they will ping argue for the rest of the game without talking.

Same as supportm sometimes I accidentally take a creep due to misclicking auto attack. ADC pings angrily for the rest of the game.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Just faced my first half decent inting Sion. That was long and unfun.

Anidav posted:

Same as supportm sometimes I accidentally take a creep due to misclicking auto attack. ADC pings angrily for the rest of the game.

You can mute pings in the Tab menu. I was happy when I figured that out.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

The Dregs posted:

You can mute pings in the Tab menu. I was happy when I figured that out.

i faced one of these as jax and it turns out if the person youre split pushing against can just stun you and then beat you up its not as effective as it could have been

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

frajaq posted:

Community has died?

Whats is he talking about, been awhile since I played a lot of LoL but it still looks drat popular

I think it's already peaked but literally millions of people still play it so it's far from dead.

Then again I might be wrong and it's still growing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think it's already peaked but literally millions of people still play it so it's far from dead.

It reovertook Fortnite as the most watched game on twitch recently actually and I think the loving KDA video brought back a lot of people.

All of my mates who swore off mobas forever and moved to overwatch are suddenly all back to League. Not sure what Valve did to Dota 2 but no one I know seems to want to play it anymore.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

The Dregs posted:

I've faced exactly one and it turned into a 40-minute game where I just kept killing him over and over (I was darius) and the enemy team responded by sending sometimes literally their entire team up to help him. Eventually my teammates figured out how to counter that by taking their nexus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's nearly impossible to gauge it accurately because of the lack of hard data from China. China is probably a good 80-90% of the total League population, but their lack of a good API and Riot being mum about hard player numbers means that "a lot" is the most accurate player count anyone can give.

Anidav posted:

Not sure what Valve did to Dota 2 but no one I know seems to want to play it anymore.

One of the things League did very well from about season 2 onward was to create a broadly consistent game-to-game experience while also introducing sufficient variance to keep people interested. The actual meat-and-bones of the game has been the same for close to six years, now: there's five roles, they all go to a pre-specified lane on the map, and there's several neutral objectives to fight over. This makes it easy to onboard new players, since you can describe a single game in broad strokes and have it be applicable for nearly every single game that person will play from then on. The variance between games (due to champion picks, rune choices, pseudorandom elements like plants/drakes, etc.) and the rate of patching means that there's almost always a reason for players to return to the game over and over throughout a season. DotA 2, by comparison, has an uncertain game-to-game meta, generally low impact patches, and a godawful mess of impenetrable legacy mechanics (try to explain creep stacking in two sentences or less), which means that the replacement/return rate is unlikely to outpace attrition.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 14, 2018