Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think all of us hope to someday make history as the first Republican half-Korean-American half-Croatian-American Sagittarius Congresswoman to finish in the top three in the Iditarod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Maybe if we're lucky she'll hit her head and we get 2003 Kyrsten Sinema back

like, i really hope, because 2003 Sinema was rad as gently caress. but, in some ways, she seems like hillary 2: more and more moderate over the years as she seeks greater and greater power. but maybe senator is the end of ambition and she'll make bernie look fash.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1062480248246362117

local elections matter. Texas Board of Education sets the national standard for textbooks because they buy so, so many, and it radiates to effects on other states

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Florida is a MESS

Florida is a WASTE

Florida is a BIG FAT MISTAKE

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

pillsburysoldier posted:

local elections matter. Texas Board of Education sets the national standard for textbooks because they buy so, so many, and it radiates to effects on other states

I never understood how Texas could set the standard when California is also huge and.... Very not Texas in some ways.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Uranium posted:

Florida is a MESS

Florida is a WASTE

Florida is a BIG FAT MISTAKE

i mean yea

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Crakkerjakk posted:

I never understood how Texas could set the standard when California is also huge and.... Very not Texas in some ways.

It's a myth, hth

https://www.texastribune.org/2010/03/26/texas-textbooks-national-influence-is-a-myth/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

isn't it because it's only Texas that has the crazy law where that education board can say "it is illegal for schools in our state to buy textbooks if they don't cover our dumb pet issues"?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Apparently the candidate for superintendent in Arizona lost his poo poo on Twitter and deleted his account after his opponent declared victory

Twitter owns

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Yes, fighting for our freedoms by raping and murdering Vietnamese people and then sitting on his rear end for the imperialist actions after. Truly an inspiration.

i should troll his rear end.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Powered Descent posted:

I think all of us hope to someday make history as the first Republican half-Korean-American half-Croatian-American Sagittarius Congresswoman to finish in the top three in the Iditarod.

born in December, who plays drums

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Powered Descent posted:

...and die on Everest

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Agronox posted:

wasn't the thing with wang and nate that wang called 2012 a little better than nate, but then 2016 completely destroyed wang's reputation because he muffed it bigly? iirc he had hillary as a 99-1 favorite

Wang had Hillary at >99.9%

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Wang had to eat a bug and that was far and away the best result of the 2016 election season.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Varies by state, Illinois was postage paid

whoops

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

yah kinda breaks down at first principles when thinking that texas buys books :hmmyes:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

pillsburysoldier posted:

jokes on them, no kids are going to learn anything from any textbooks

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If the Texas school board's goal is to create Texans who will keep voting for right wing shitheads then they have already failed in a sense, because the majority of native born Texan voters voted for Beto.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Agronox posted:

wasn't the thing with wang and nate that wang called 2012 a little better than nate, but then 2016 completely destroyed wang's reputation because he muffed it bigly? iirc he had hillary as a 99-1 favorite

the only thing to remember is that Wang said he would eat a bug and then went about it in Abraham style

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

Florida is a joke

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Samurai Sanders posted:

If the Texas school board's goal is to create Texans who will keep voting for right wing shitheads then they have already failed in a sense, because the majority of native born Texan voters voted for Beto.

teaching kids a neutered sense of history written by a tiny slice of bigoted elites with a love for christ and whites, a story thats essentially as hollow as any fairy tale after they grow up and are old enough to start being critical about the world around them, is dumb as hell when it comes to their end goal

TEXAS!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bulgakov posted:

teaching kids a neutered sense of history written by a tiny slice of bigoted elites with a love for christ and whites, a story thats essentially as hollow as any fairy tale after they grow up and are old enough to start being critical about the world around them, is dumb as hell when it comes to their end goal

TEXAS!
You must know as well as I do that if someone is taught at a young age to avoid questioning authority there's a good chance they will be like that for their whole life. I assume that is the goal of Texas education at the state level.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Samurai Sanders posted:

You must know as well as I do that if someone is taught at a young age to avoid questioning authority there's a good chance they will be like that for their whole life. I assume that is the goal of Texas education at the state level.

until 93% of those students, especially nowadays, reckon that somethings pretty hosed up when their family is clearly part of the working poor and that the american dream just can't tread water anymore is a hollow ball of hate

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lastgirl posted:

Florida is a joke

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

Texas GOP is explicitly opposed to teaching critical thinking skills

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Samurai Sanders posted:

Texas school board is big enough that half the country will follow their textbook regulations

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Just thought to look it up and Debbie Wasserman Schutlz got to keep her job (58.5%). Also that Tim Canova guy from 2016 ran against her again but as an Independent this time and got 5%.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

*Hank Hill, sitting in the voting booth*
"Well, I tell you hwut, I agree with that Cruz fella's stance on taxes, but Beto is a Native Texan. His family has been here since the beginning I tell you hwut. Not like Ted Cruz, who was born in *shudders* Canada."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Agronox posted:

He said that in mid-october then refused to change his prognostication lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

ugh

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1062509829388939265

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

100% of conservatives and probably 70% of liberals would exterminate all muslims from the face of the earth with a snap of a finger if they could

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

100% of conservatives and probably 70% of liberals would exterminate all muslims from the face of the earth with a snap of a finger if they could

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

Just thought to look it up and Debbie Wasserman Schutlz got to keep her job (58.5%). Also that Tim Canova guy from 2016 ran against her again but as an Independent this time and got 5%.

Fun fact: The Broward County Supervisor of Elections got sued by Canova over her handling of that election.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Al! posted:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

lmao Texas left two different countries for slavery

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

zegermans posted:

lmao Texas left two different countries for slavery

lmao they were always extremely vague in Texas history class about why, exactly, the Texans wanted to secede from Mexico

something about liberty and an independent pioneer spirit, I think

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
lol the Confederate Constitution literally stripped states of the right to make slavery illegal.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"boo hoo why can't you northerners just leave us alone so we can torture black people forever??" - official Confederate government policy

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

"boo hoo why can't you northerners just leave us alone so we can torture black people forever??" - official Confederate government policy

lmao they would never call Black people people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Eat my entire rear end Tom MacArthur