Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I've only really watched the anime but at the end of s1 when they talked about him as being the strongest among them I was certain he would job in his first fight to build up the villains in s2 more, but I was sooo wrong :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

escanor is like the polar opposite of chad from bleach

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Of all the insanity of Seven Deadly Sins, Escanor is my hands down favorite.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I like Ban more, but Escanor is pretty great. In a world of shounen bullshit, it's nice to have a side character whose power is "I'm stronger than anything and literally nothing you can do will ever change that".

e: I just remembered in his first two major battles he totally bodied like half the loving opposition effortlessly.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 13, 2018

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Sun Punch Man

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Escanor had a clear gimmick that allows him to be used this way without people asking "well why don't they just have him fight everyone" and it rules

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Also the answer to "Well why don't they just have him fight everyone" is "Ok" and it's great.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how Ban has now spent like 99% of his life in that hell-realm.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mulva posted:

Also the answer to "Well why don't they just have him fight everyone" is "Ok" and it's great.

He racked up 7/10 wins against the commandments. Can't argue with those results. And the mustache was 100% an improvement to his design. I cannot imagine him clean shaven ever again.

Also, remember that time when Escanor was actually some 60ish year old butler with super powers? Good times

If you haven't give Kongou Banchou a read, it's fun through and through.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Escanor is cool and good and I've only read as far as just after his introduction when that giant maze shows up.

Also this week's Fairy Tail Sequel (as opposed to Fairy Tail 2.0 IN SPACE) is all creepy Erza bikini bondage and I don't like it despite the whole Erza bikini part. Then again, I still keep thinking her name is actually Ezra so whatever.

Seriously, why couldn't her name be translated as Elsa? It would make things so much easier. Even Elza would do.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chumbler posted:

Spoilers, man!

But seriously, knock it off already, Mashima.
Spoilers for the latest chapter of Eden Zero: Mashima did not knock it off.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Agreed but he does know how to draw really good looking robot ladies at least.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also this week's Fairy Tail Sequel (as opposed to Fairy Tail 2.0 IN SPACE)
I actually had to check Mashima's wiki because I swear that when I read your post, I thought you were pulling my leg.

He's on full duties for Edens Zero and storyboarding Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest. Even with a full section or squad of assistants, one manga series can warp your goddamn sleeping schedule to oblivion, I can only sorta imagine what kind of (or lack of) sleeping schedule Mashima is currently powering through. I'm a relapsed Fairy Tail fan, but my hat's off to the guy.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
And yet he still has time to draw and post sketches (often fully-colored!) on twitter and generally goof off.
He also drew and published Fairy Tail Zero (monthly, mind you) while FT was still ongoing.

He must have a secret twin or something. Or maybe a time machine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his secret is that he spends approximately 30 seconds to write a chapter

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Or maybe he doesnt particularly agonize over his plot so he can spend more time on his art. Or he gets things more or less correct/the way he wants them in a less revisions than other mangaka.

E:fb

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
Or he's a lizard person

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mashima's treatment of female characters is so bad and this arc is especially gross

But dawg did y'all see that highway fight in the chapter before it, that was cool as hell. It might be the most fun and dynamic fight I've seen in his works in a long time, Fairy Tail's power creep reduced it to just big explosions or two page spreads of something cool maybe happening among all the magic effects towards the end. More of that please.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New Gotoubun

quote:

Nothing makes sense anymore.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

:smith: This isn't going a direction I like.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Wark Say posted:

I actually had to check Mashima's wiki because I swear that when I read your post, I thought you were pulling my leg.

He's on full duties for Edens Zero and storyboarding Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest. Even with a full section or squad of assistants, one manga series can warp your goddamn sleeping schedule to oblivion, I can only sorta imagine what kind of (or lack of) sleeping schedule Mashima is currently powering through. I'm a relapsed Fairy Tail fan, but my hat's off to the guy.

I'm pretty sure Mashima at this point can write Fairy Tail even while sleeping, it has fully embraced the fanservice gods.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of generic shounen

Tag urself

i'm the smoking eye-tittied ballroom Micolash in the middle

next to me is my brother, the Lethal League candyman with his floating TWEWY pins

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Uh, obviously the floating frog king dude

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you poo poo talk marry grave in front of me I'm gonna bury you alive in a mountain of pain.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its the best series running right now, really high emotional pathos and payoff and is such a bizarre and sweet premise that it makes excellent use of.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
What is that from? I'm the fancy elf guy. He has a bitchin' hat and what looks to be a harp-spear. That is badass

edit: Oh, Marry Grave. From how it started I wouldn't have expected it to draw me in so much! I really, really enjoy it!

Reiche fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 15, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Marry Grave.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A man murdered on his wedding day was revived because his wife spent the remainder of her life going on a big adventure to gather the magic ingredients she needed to do a dark ritual to bring him back, and now hes going on the same journey to revive her

and it snaps between the two of their perspectives in time and the art design and creatures are gorgeous and its just got a relentless pace and revels in joy and it rules, its not generic at all.

Thats Marry Grave.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Yup saw your post a second after I made mine

The whole premise of going back for an extended flashback after introducing the main characters is what really cemented it as one of my favorites coming out right now. You nailed exactly why I adore it sooooo much!

another edit: I'm actually mad at myself now for not instantly recognizing it. I didn't see the new chapter yet

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

A man murdered on his wedding day was revived because his wife spent the remainder of her life going on a big adventure to gather the magic ingredients she needed to do a dark ritual to bring him back, and now hes going on the same journey to revive her

and it snaps between the two of their perspectives in time and the art design and creatures are gorgeous and its just got a relentless pace and revels in joy and it rules, its not generic at all.

Thats Marry Grave.
That's a hell of a sales pitch. Consider me sold though.

HenryEx posted:

Speaking of generic shounen

This could be some bizarre chrono trigger roster. Genie looks nice. Also elder statue of liberty

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm the incredibly angry horse

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I was not expecting to binge the entire comic. This is really good. I actually remember reading the first chapter when it came out and have no idea why I didn't keep up with this. But that cliffhanger.
Even though I was reading it all in one go, it was easy to forget that the wedding day was the day everything went to poo poo. Was a little like Berserk all over again.
It seems like one implication of a betrayer in the city is that Dante is a mole or deep agent for the demons. He's equally unusually trained for someone so young when he met Sawyer, just like Rosalie was. It depends on the nature of this loose end really. Being the dark brooding man doesn't automatically mean he's also a sellout to his species.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brought To You By posted:

I was not expecting to binge the entire comic. This is really good. I actually remember reading the first chapter when it came out and have no idea why I didn't keep up with this. But that cliffhanger.
Even though I was reading it all in one go, it was easy to forget that the wedding day was the day everything went to poo poo. Was a little like Berserk all over again.
It seems like one implication of a betrayer in the city is that Dante is a mole or deep agent for the demons. He's equally unusually trained for someone so young when he met Sawyer, just like Rosalie was. It depends on the nature of this loose end really. Being the dark brooding man doesn't automatically mean he's also a sellout to his species.

Nah the mole is probably that cultist that got away. He just led the demons there out of spite.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm pretty sure Mashima at this point can write Fairy Tail even while sleeping, it has fully embraced the fanservice gods.
Yeah, the editor probably just goes to his house/apartment and just picks the chapter because, well: You kinda know what to expect from the guy with two hit manga in as many decades of his career.

In a sorta-related question: Has Miki Yoshikawa done anything lately after Yamada-kun ended?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've seen this one linked to a few times and not yet checked it out, is it a series worth hopping into?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I've read a little bit and it seems like We Can't Study but with more drama.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Pretty much. It's also surprisingly low on fanservice.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like it a fair amount, less so because I think it's super notable and more that its juxtaposition with We Can't Study's popularity which I've never particularly enjoyed so it felt like "that, but better". The 5 girls seem pretty well characterized and I do think that so far the build up has been handled well. I do want Miku to win! Which is probably a mistake, caring about who wins in a harem series, just gonna be a set up for disappointment by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sure, I'll add it to the pile alongside We Never Learn. iirc outside of really old shonen harem series like Tenchi or Ranma, the only relatively recent ones I've read are My Monster Secret(which is barely a harem anyway) and The World God Only Knows. I recall people really souring on Nisekoi so I never got more than like a half dozen chapters into that.

also, speaking of a shonen harem, Tomoko has a harem misunderstanding of her own :v:

being tomoki is suffering