Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

All of the dialog and cutscenes in Odallus are completely skippable by hitting the start button. Except for the ending, for whatever reason.

It’s funny that people were hating on Freedom Planet for this earlier, because while the game’s plot is brain-melting sonic fanfic nonsense, there’s literally a menu option to disable the plot and dialogue entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s funny that people were hating on Freedom Planet for this earlier, because while the game’s plot is brain-melting sonic fanfic nonsense, there’s literally a menu option to disable the plot and dialogue entirely.

Yeah, going in blind it might seem like that' the storyless mode is for 2nd+ playthroughs, and thinking about it I don't know why I didn't expect that the Sonic the Hedgehog fanfiction game would have Sonic the Hedgehog fanfiction tier writing, but yeah-- no surprise, it does.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wasnt that patched in when people were like hey I wanna speed run and also maybe no see a cutscene about a slumber party immediately followed by torture

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bonaventure posted:

Dawn of Sorrow is the worst DS Castlevania not for its anime style or touch screen gimmick but because the system for getting new weapons in that game is loving stupid.

Yeah, forcing you to grind for particular souls if you want good weapons was a terrible decision. Random drops are a nuisance in all post-SotN games, but the other ones at least have the decency to give you decent gear through reliable means as well.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Dawn of Sorrow is kind of irritatingly grindy in general. It's still a good game, but that's the main problem. They wanted to expand on the soul system and didn't have any real good ideas for doing so.

Portrait is surprisingly good. The two-character gimmick is a lot of fun, and I wish they'd iterated on it a bit more instead of going back to the soul system. It does, however, more obviously suffer from a low budget and rushed timeframe than any other game. The bones are solid, but it really needed another six months to a year in the oven.

Ecclesia is quite good, but can get irritatingly hard at points and most of the characters are pretty boring. The combat is real fun, though, and it's probably got the top Dracula fight in the series.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I replayed them all this year for the first time in a bit and Aria is strikingly better than Dawn.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

aria of sorrow is a very tightly-constructed package compared to some other games in the series

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I remember I bought Aria of Sorrow on launch day and beat the whole thing in one sitting, without dying once. I really felt let down by it at the time, and it's only after replaying it on hard difficulty years later that I became a fan.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I like the castle you explore in Dawn though. Might be just because I'm a sucker for snow areas. I also like the puppet soul for traveling/goofing around. I think each Castlevania reaches for something unique. They might hit or miss, but I like the original premise so much I end up enjoying all of em. The only one I bounced off hard was the ps3 (Harmony of Despair I think) one. Some day I want to give it a second chance though as I like the idea so much.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

generally they all have something to enjoy which is why there's so many varying opinions on favorites. there's very few actual stinkers, but i'm sure someone out there will die for castlevania 64 of all things.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The first Castlevania Adventure is the only one I can think of that has absolutely nothing to offer. I can't even imagine a kid in 1990 with that as their only Game Boy game being OK with it. It's such a badly designed, janky, joyless game.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

generally they all have something to enjoy which is why there's so many varying opinions on favorites. there's very few actual stinkers, but i'm sure someone out there will die for castlevania 64 of all things.

If we are talking about old vania's, I really enjoyed both Bloodlines and Dracula X. Bloodlines is cool cause each level has a weird concept. Dracula X has a great intro, and while it doesn't match Rondo I had a good time. Yea the 3d vanias I haven't played much/didn't click with me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
CV64 suffers from all the typical early 3D issues but it absolutely succeeds as a continuation of classic CV in the way the other 3D games don't.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Someone should really romhack Circle of the Moon and multiply all drop rates by 10.

Same with soul drop rates in Aria/Dawn.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Actually got the platinum for Castlevania Requiem, that was very fun. I'd love for more compilations of castlevania games in the future.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Actually got the platinum for Castlevania Requiem, that was very fun. I'd love for more compilations of castlevania games in the future.

The fact that Requiem exists and isn't just a part of a larger legacy collection in the vein of what they did with Mega Man is a True Gaming Crime.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

The fact that Requiem exists and isn't just a part of a larger legacy collection in the vein of what they did with Mega Man is a True Gaming Crime.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm not sure why they didn't just straight-up port the Dracula X Chronicles. Is the remake so bad that it wasn't worth including in Requiem?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It probably would have taken more work to port the completely 3D game rather than the ones we got, which yeah, people don't like as much as the original.

I like it but also if the choice is between the original and the remake then hell yeah they're going to port the original.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I liked the psp remake, I don't think it's bad. The cool thing about the psp version was the collectables (music tracks) sprinkled throughout each level that worked as a mini-achievement system. They would be often placed in a hard to reach spot/an alternative route.

Nude fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 13, 2018

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah the port has a map bug that stops blocks showing up as filled occasionally, it'll happen if you just leave it for a bit and it's still counted, it'll just show up on the map in a few seconds.

This bug seems to get worse the more you check the map. Which I was doing to check to make sure I was filling them in. This port is really bumming me out.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Replaying Dawn of Sorrow earlier this year with a patch to cut out the Magic Seals, another to fix the luck stat, and one to replace the character images with art more fitting Aria's artstyle bumped the game up from 'alright with issues' to 'fantastic'. I mean, the worst I had to do, drop wise, was grind a Final Guard for maybe five minutes tops, without the Soul Eater Ring, for a soul to continue the chain up to Claimh Solais.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Magil of Shadow posted:

Replaying Dawn of Sorrow earlier this year with a patch to cut out the Magic Seals, another to fix the luck stat, and one to replace the character images with art more fitting Aria's artstyle bumped the game up from 'alright with issues' to 'fantastic'. I mean, the worst I had to do, drop wise, was grind a Final Guard for maybe five minutes tops, without the Soul Eater Ring, for a soul to continue the chain up to Claimh Solais.

Well, no wonder Dawn of Sorrow felt grindier than normal.

Also I just applied all three of those patches so I guess I can look forward to replaying Aria and Dawn soon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not sure why they didn't just straight-up port the Dracula X Chronicles. Is the remake so bad that it wasn't worth including in Requiem?

Some of the other PSP releases they've done with this emulator had texture replacements, so they probably looked at the amount of work required to retexture the remake and decided to cut it rather than put in the effort for something they thought people wouldn't care about.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm curious, but did Requiem include some form of digital game manual? I've been checking out people streaming the game and going through SoTN blind and most of them seem to miss out on doing stuff the game never bothers telling you about (like how to use the Gravity Boots, or Richter's various moves, for example).

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Saw an "update" for Bloodstained: CotM on Steam. "Oh wow, they added something to apologise for the delay to RotN?"

HAHA OF COURSE NOT. I was thoroughly bamboozled. 0kb nopedate. I don't even understand why this is a thing. Doom II had one the week previous. DOOM II. As if a patch for that is going to arrive 24 years after release (and don't link me to that MAP15 all secrets thing, I know about that already).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I completely forgot Grant in Judgement looks like a mummy. Honestly, I forget all of Judgement, to be fair.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Magil of Shadow posted:

Oh, can you provide a link as to where these patches are? The only time I ever enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow was Julius mode because of the Castlevania III mechanic and no goddamn magic seals on any of the bosses.

Be a nice change of pace to not worry about that as soma

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

I'm the weirdo who loves Lament of Innocence best.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

Oh, can you provide a link as to where these patches are? The only time I ever enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow was Julius mode because of the Castlevania III mechanic and no goddamn magic seals on any of the bosses.

Be a nice change of pace to not worry about that as soma

https://www.romhacking.net/games/2668/

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Trasson posted:

I love Lament! It's as close to a classic Vania we had gotten in a long time. I took it more as an homage to the earlier games but in 3D. I thought Curse was good but Lament just hit the sweet spot for me. Though I also enjoy the n64 games too, it's really hard for me to hate any Castlevania game due to really fond memories playing with my mom and aunt on the nes until 2-3 in the morning trying to beat the Grim Reaper.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

This sounds awesome! Just started a new playthrough of Dawn and would definitely use these. If I apply the patches now, though, would that require new save games?

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Sobatchja Morda posted:

This sounds awesome! Just started a new playthrough of Dawn and would definitely use these. If I apply the patches now, though, would that require new save games?

I'm not entirely sure, but I honestly would...if just to enjoy the game from the start with the proper luck fix. I cannot stress enough just how much more enjoyable it is to play with that luck upgrade.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Circle of the Moon was my first modern castlevania and it was an amazing game despite them still not figuring out they needed to make the sprites brighter or give them a white outline to actually see what’s going on because you needed to be in the heart of a thermonuclear explosion to actually see what was going on in the original gba screen
Incidentally, is there any way to legally play cotm in modern consoles

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Its on the Wii U virtual console, along with the other GBA Castlevanias.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Trasson posted:

that's because lament of innocence was good

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Incidentally, is there any way to legally play cotm in modern consoles
I get what you're asking here, but if you have a DS/Lite and a flash card it's actually quite easy to dump your own GBA ROMs, which is a legitimate thing to do. You'd need something to play them on though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

CV64 suffers from all the typical early 3D issues but it absolutely succeeds as a continuation of classic CV in the way the other 3D games don't.

Was going to post this, game has good atmosphere and the weapons/platforming/camera/etc. are fine and even at times pretty good for a 3D adventure/platforming game of the time - especially for a game that was being made before Ocarina of Time came out. We remember the good stuff, but the issues in that game were issues in like 90% of 3D games until the mid 00s.

Honestly Castlevania is a series with very few straight up stinkers. I mean I personally despise Harmony of Dissonance and Lords of Shadow 2 and you can nitpick or dislike things about any game, but to me the only the all around garbage Castlevania games are Judgment and Legends.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 14, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CV64 had a really cool sense of atmosphere for the time, and a few baller parts like the hedge maze where you're chased by the chainsaw dude. It doesn't hold up now of course but I don't think Lament of Innocence is much better.

Castlevania 2 is the worst game in the series btw. It would actually be nigh unplayable if not for everyone absorbing its bullshit through osmosis. Haunted Castle is pretty fuckin bad too even though the music rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
But where on your rankings does the pachinko machine fit?

I personally dislike all the 3D Castlevania games because a core part of the Castlevania experience for me is feeling like a badass taking out monsters in one or two hits.