Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone tried The Living Desert? It looks like one of those Skyrim mods that adds a bunch of NPCs who travel a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Aww poo poo it might be reinstall time. Recently I've done a Grunt build and a crit stacking energy weapons build, all with JSawyer, and I don't know whether to finally get a Cowboy run going, try stealth or go for melee.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'd go melee and Logan's Loophole, strength enhancing drugs are insane when you go melee, plus when you have too much loot you can just drink something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dr Snofeld posted:

Aww poo poo it might be reinstall time. Recently I've done a Grunt build and a crit stacking energy weapons build, all with JSawyer, and I don't know whether to finally get a Cowboy run going, try stealth or go for melee.

Go Cowboy. The Perk requires melee skill anyways so you can load up on lever action rifles for guns and still have a super strong melee character.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has anyone tried The Living Desert? It looks like one of those Skyrim mods that adds a bunch of NPCs who travel a lot.

I've been using it and it's fun so far

Only real issue is there are some undercover BoS agents (called "Travellers") who, like Veronica, are out gathering supplies, which is fine, the problem is that they keep talking about how much they wish they weren't stuck in a bunker right now

e: Like you'll meet a random plasma rifle-wielding traveller saying "First time in the bunker? You'll get used to it eventually."

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 3, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just started a new playthrough but I feel like I should cut it short just so I can install this mod.

quote:

Basically what you get is a Mexican - themed Goodpsrings.

heisenberg
Dec 17, 2008
I realized that I have not one ever played FO:NV despite having it in my Steam library for a few years. Is the a TL;DR sort of guide or suggestions for mods that make sense for a first playthrough of the game? Like, graphics improvements, stability, quality of life improvements, good/useful additional content, etc? Having not played, it's hard to tell what's a must-have.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You could probably get away with just jsawyer.esp and Project Nevada. If you want to add a texture pack, that's always a good choice. I use the Poco Bueno pack because I prefer packs that look good but still offer maximum performance, because the engine is fidgety.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ojo Bueno is better than Poco Bueno nowadays because it's more up to date and they made a Performance variant.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I thought P:N was no longer recommended because it causes save game bloat which just ends in crashes?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

cuntman.net posted:

the max carry weight for all my companies just went down by a lot :wtc: has anyone else run into something like this before

This happened to me a few weeks ago. Never worked out what caused it, but everyone got a 75 point penalty to what they could carry.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I thought P:N was no longer recommended because it causes save game bloat which just ends in crashes?
It doesn't? Or at least I haven't picked up anything like that or noticed it while using Project Nevada. The scripting engine in New Vegas can't even really cause save bloat in the same way the papyrus scripting engine in Skyrim & FO4 can if you lovely, badly coded scripts.
PN does have some scripts that were okay way back in 2012, but are a bit inefficient compared to "modern standards". Over the years NVSE has gotten some better functionality and people learned how to do things better. But everything should work just fine.

heisenberg posted:

I realized that I have not one ever played FO:NV despite having it in my Steam library for a few years. Is the a TL;DR sort of guide or suggestions for mods that make sense for a first playthrough of the game?
My standard answer to question like this is: No mods at all. Play the game unmodded for at least few hours. Then come back when you have good idea of what it is you'd like to add/change/remove to the gameplay & visuals.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Counterargument: I'll accept that it's actually possible to argue against using even YUP or JSawyer on a playthrough, but:

NVAC makes the game not fall apart on you,
CASM makes your save file not fall apart on you, and
NVSE is needed for both of those.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And use JIP if you want to use any of the crafting menus

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dont be mean to me posted:

Counterargument: I'll accept that it's actually possible to argue against using even YUP or JSawyer on a playthrough, but:

NVAC makes the game not fall apart on you,
CASM makes your save file not fall apart on you, and
NVSE is needed for both of those.

Biggest argument against YUP is that it gets rid of the Skilled respec glitch that makes you a wasteland god.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Paracelsus posted:

Biggest argument against YUP is that it gets rid of the Skilled respec glitch that makes you a wasteland god.

You're looking for :cheat: this mod :cheat:, which among other things re-enables the in-game debug console for controller users, and incidentally is also an NVSE plugin and a common dependency for other NVSE-based mods.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I always get a bit of lag with EVE whenever it's queuing up a new energy/death effect (even with nothing else installed). Memory issue? I did use the 4gb patcher.

e:a shot in the dark, a lombard station mirror still available anywhere? doh, it's in the OP

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 10, 2018

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Somebody made a mod that lets you copy and paste text into fnv's console

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
This is cool, I had no idea this was even a thing. I wonder how many NPCs in the game are actually good-aligned, as opposed to neutral? I feel like I've gone on a few mass-murder sprees in this game before, but I don't think I've heard this track.

"When entering combat in New Vegas, the music track that plays is chosen based on the opponent's Karma rating; meaning if you fight "Evil" (and neutral?) enemies in a Rural area, the "Rural Evil" track will play.

This works out for the most part, but it's kind of weird that playing a Good/Neutral character means you'll rarely, if ever get to hear the heroic "Good" tracks. (Which itself is strange that you'll only hear those tracks while fighting Good characters.)

This mod swaps the settings of the Battle Music Mediasets so that anytime an Evil track would play, the Good version will play instead, giving you some nice Heroic Cowboy Noises while fighting the forces of Evil and some appropriate dirges for killing Innocent People."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y50PAJr1J-I&t=22s

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How would I even know, since the radio is always playing?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Someone mod that mod so it plays Jingle, Jangle, Jingle when you kill a good characterx Johnny Guitar when you kill a neutral character and Big Iron when you kill an evil one.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How would I even know, since the radio is always playing?

If I hear Jingle Jangle again I'll kill myself

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been trying to get FNVLODGen to work but I think something keeps screwing up. When I check the textures folder at the output location it has all of the areas generated by the LODgen but all of the Blocks folders inside are empty. So even though I've generated the meshes, they're not being applied when I add the meshes and texture folders to the archive and activate it in MO.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Crindee posted:

I'VE GOT SPURRRRRS

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Crindee posted:

there'll be no weddin' bells for today

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Ain't you glad you're single?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
............like my Johnny......................

like the one they called............................

johnny guitar.............

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Johnny Guitar is good.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its good all right..... good riddance when i turn it off !!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

its good all right..... good riddance when i turn it off !!

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Johnny Guitar is good.

You can take your spurs and jingle jangle jingle on outta here, buddy.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I turned the radio off October 20, 2010 and haven't looked back

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been trying to get FNVLODGen to work but I think something keeps screwing up. When I check the textures folder at the output location it has all of the areas generated by the LODgen but all of the Blocks folders inside are empty. So even though I've generated the meshes, they're not being applied when I add the meshes and texture folders to the archive and activate it in MO.

I've been having issues with FNVLODGen as well, and all I can say is make sure the program can actually see and read the official BSAs when it goes to draw resources from them.

As it turns out, using the BSA decompressor on a MO2 install fucks the whole thing up, because the generator's only looking for the default archives (at least in regards to its MO integration) and not the ones modified by the decompressor. Or something. All I know is that I only got LODs via FNVLODGen when I reverted the BSAs back to the original ones.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I tried messing with LODs in New Vegas & MO2, but eventually I just gave up and had fun playing the game instead

I just try not to look too much at the horizon

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

theres some kinda philosophical lesson in there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Today I learned Lone Star is from a 1998 royalty free music compilation for soundtrack licensing.

(after just a few days of NV my head is humming the radio songs 24/7 once more)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 16, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's weird when you run across New Vegas Royalty Free radio music elsewhere. There's an episode of Supernatural where a bunch of new Vegas radio pieces play.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I've been trying to find more music by Gerhard Trede, but I got real disappointed when I learned that he was just a library musician.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like many of its changes, but, as one would expect from the Nexus, it adds a small number of things that I disagree with.

The main one is adding some gallows to NCR territory where you find hanged NCR deserters. and by far the stupidest addition is that the mojave outpost has a dead legion soldier hanged from the monument. Traders pass through there for gently caress's sake, why would they hang a corpse from the monument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm sorry you can't handle the grit and realism, maan.