Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

GoutPatrol posted:

Harvey Milk was an rear end in a top hat.

Source: my mom, who worked with him in the touring production of Hair

Noted, still not off my list of people our politicians should emulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Petr posted:

I don't want flawless heroes, I want role models whose flaws don't exactly correlate to the worst elements of today's politics.

I notice you left "and actually accomplished something" off there.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

I notice you left "and actually accomplished something" off there.

The implied question here is dumb enough that I don't really feel the need to explore this line of questioning further.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Petr posted:

So did John Brown. Good thing victory isn't predestined.

"Losing with PURITY is better than winning"

Gee, wonder why you dont see any leftist success.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Nancy Pelosi's base of support is other politicians in Washington D.C., and GreyjoyBastard. That's it. For all the cries of "but she's such an effective whiiiiip" :qq: no one really cares when the right vilifies her except in the most abstract sense, to the extent that it's bad for the party's prospects or they're just pissed because it's the right doing it (or, sometimes, because it's leftists doing it). What I mean to say is that no one identifies with Nancy Pelosi (again, apparently, excepting GreyjoyBastard for some reason) so no one can really take it personally when Fox News or whatever drags her for the 78th time this week. Of course you get upset if it's a Democrat being unfairly maligned for the usual bullshit, but it doesn't feel like they're attacking you - they're attacking Nancy Pelosi.

Now bearing in mind that most of the Fox News viewership is demented geriatrics, they're not going to identify with AOC either, but as these attacks percolate into the broader public consciousness they're going to strike a nerve in a way that the attacks on Pelosi absolutely can not unless you're forums poster GreyjoyBastard, and there's going to be a backlash, and it's going to be a thing to behold.

Fox news vilifies people like Pelosi and Hillary due to sexism. Full stop. That's the only reason. It's the same reason they'll do the same to AOC. Powerful women scare the gently caress out of republicans.

You don't even have to like them (especially Hillary) to recognize the sexism but you must recognize it to combat it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Katt posted:

She could have :shrug:

Hilary Clinton’s Twitter game can be surprisingly nuanced, because politics aside she’s a huge loving dork.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

You are indescribably stupid if your takeaway is that I'm a purity advocate. Like, you couldn't be any clearer in being a kneejerk reaction poster.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GoutPatrol posted:

Harvey Milk was an rear end in a top hat.

Source: my mom, who worked with him in the touring production of Hair

I feel like the backstory of this post could be made into a movie.

I know there's already a movie about Milk, but I want another one that focuses entirely on his time spent on tour in that production of Hair and the sitcom style feud he apparently had with your mother.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I can't imagine what comes out of that cocoon. Butterfly with an anger problem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRdSoZO-5mM

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I was reading one of Lincoln's letters a while ago to find a specific quote of his and he goes off on this whole tirade about John Brown which I thought was amusing:

Abe Lincoln posted:

John Brown’s effort was peculiar. It was not a slave insurrection. It was an attempt by white men to get up a revolt among slaves, in which the slaves refused to participate. In fact, it was so absurd that the slaves, with all their ignorance, saw plainly enough it could not succeed.

That affair, in its philosophy, corresponds with the many attempts, related in history, at the assassination of kings and emperors. An enthusiast broods over the oppression of a people till he fancies himself commissioned by Heaven to liberate them. He ventures the attempt, which ends in little else than his own execution. Orsini’s attempt on Louis Napoleon, and John Brown’s attempt at Harper’s Ferry were, in their philosophy, precisely the same. The eagerness to cast blame on old England in the one case, and on New England in the other, does not disprove the sameness of the two things.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Well, that looks like a gigantic lawsuit waiting to happen.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

1glitch0 posted:

Well, that looks like a gigantic lawsuit waiting to happen.

As well as another addition to the veritable industry of products sucking money away from moronic MAGA types. $30 for a bunch of grey blocks, a single base plate, and a Lego man with a face that looks like what would have happened in the real-world version of Face/Off.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Hey, Fulchrum? Your wing of the Democratic Party handed an unprecedented amount of power over to Trump and the GOP. You are not good at winning, and you should therefore probably not preach about what it takes to win in politics.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Hey, Fulchrum? Your wing of the Democratic Party handed an unprecedented amount of power over to Trump and the GOP. You are not good at winning, and you should therefore probably not preach about what it takes to win in politics.

Why do you keep posting this when you know you dont have any answer to "then why do you keep losing primaries"? Except for you screaming that the Dems are meany meanpants who do unfair things, like encourage people to vote.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 14, 2018

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mustached Demon posted:

Fox news vilifies people like Pelosi and Hillary due to sexism. Full stop. That's the only reason. It's the same reason they'll do the same to AOC. Powerful women scare the gently caress out of republicans.

You don't even have to like them (especially Hillary) to recognize the sexism but you must recognize it to combat it.

The sexism is a tasty flavoring for them, but they'll do it to anyone. They will vilify any prominent democrat. Bill Clinton was a fat white hillbilly-talking guy from Arkansas who loved McDonalds and the right-wingers went after him with everything they had. That's what needs to be recognized and why people like Avenatti are mistaken about needing a white guy to run for president. If Trump changed his affiliation to democrat for 2020 they'd go after him with both barrels. It doesn't matter. There's no appeasing them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I feel like the backstory of this post could be made into a movie.

I know there's already a movie about Milk, but I want another one that focuses entirely on his time spent on tour in that production of Hair and the sitcom style feud he apparently had with your mother.

My mom had a much more interesting life than me, even if I did move halfway across the world. She felt like Milk was a huge sexist and treated all the women like poo poo.

Other famous people that she has commented on in the past:

Edward James Olmos: the nicest man in the world
Jonathan Banks: great guy!
Meatloaf: real shithead

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Why do you keep posting this when you know you dont have any answer to "then why do you keep losing primaries"? Except for you screaming that the Dems are meany meanpants who do unfair things, like let people vote..

Because, as many folks here have explained to you time and time again, the Democratic primary system is one that is very easily influenced by powerful people and institutions. There are structural inequalities and barriers that keep candidates who best-represent the Democratic voting coalition from getting the nomination. The candidates that do get nominated are often not the best-equipped to motivate the base to turn out when they run against Republican pseudo-populists like Trump. If you were at all interested in winning elections, you would be fully behind retooling this thoroughly broken system.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

1glitch0 posted:

The sexism is a tasty flavoring for them, but they'll do it to anyone. They will vilify any prominent democrat. Bill Clinton was a fat white hillbilly-talking guy from Arkansas who loved McDonalds and the right-wingers went after him with everything they had. That's what needs to be recognized and why people like Avenatti are mistaken about needing a white guy to run for president. If Trump changed his affiliation to democrat for 2020 they'd go after him with both barrels. It doesn't matter. There's no appeasing them.

I'm only talking about why they go after powerful Democratic women. poo poo, they go after Maxine due to both racism and sexism.

Saying they'll go after anyone with a -D normalizes that behavior into general political discourse. Don't normalize that poo poo for them.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm only talking about why they go after powerful Democratic women. poo poo, they go after Maxine due to both racism and sexism.

Saying they'll go after anyone with a -D normalizes that behavior into general political discourse. Don't normalize that poo poo for them.

Sexism and racism is obviously very strong in the republican party, I don't disagree with you. They are deep-seated beliefs, but they are also a tool they turn on and off with a flip of a switch. It wasn't that long ago when Sarah Palin was portrayed as the Republican Goddess to save them all. Where was the sexism attacks from the republicans then? While conservatives are inherently sexist and racist, it's just like troop-worship or anything else. They use it when it benefits them and ignore it when it doesn't. I think their sexist and racist attacks are more cynical than you think.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Had a dream right before waking up where I saw the tweet where Trump fired Mueller.

It basically went like "Just hearing from Justice department that they fired Robert Moeller for cause... Oh boy! "

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Because, as many folks here have explained to you time and time again, the Democratic primary system is one that is very easily influenced by powerful people and institutions. There are structural inequalities and barriers that keep candidates who best-represent the Democratic voting coalition from getting the nomination. The candidates that do get nominated are often not the best-equipped to motivate the base to turn out when they run against Republican pseudo-populists like Trump. If you were at all interested in winning elections, you would be fully behind retooling this thoroughly broken system.

Yes, I've read your self indulgent crying and blaming everyone else for your failures. I've also noticed your complete lack of recognizing that these so called insurmountable barriers in the primary are 10 times worse in the general.

If you were interested in getting candidates who can beat Republicans, you'd abandon this self indulgent persecution complex and focus on improving leftist candidates so they can win a primary.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

1glitch0 posted:

Sexism and racism is obviously very strong in the republican party, I don't disagree with you. They are deep-seated beliefs, but they are also a tool they turn on and off with a flip of a switch. It wasn't that long ago when Sarah Palin was portrayed as the Republican Goddess to save them all. Where was the sexism attacks from the republicans then? While conservatives are inherently sexist and racist, it's just like troop-worship or anything else. They use it when it benefits them and ignore it when it doesn't. I think their sexist and racist attacks are more cynical than you think.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I've been up all night as usual so I'm bad at explaining things as usual.

Don't let those fuckers treat sexism and racism as a tool to attack political opponents. It normalizes that behavior since it then becomes equally as valid of an argument as traditional discourse based on difference of opinion. Call it out. Nothing's better than seeing an old white dude get all huffy puffy because you called them a racist, sexist shitbag.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It must be a coincidence how often the right wing media starts ramping up the 'old evil dem women, actually money grubbing power vampires?' poo poo and a week later you see a bunch of liberals and leftists tripping over themselves to talk about how terrible they are

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mustached Demon posted:

IMO, I'm inclined to agree with 1glitch0's arguments. Yes, the Republican party likes to appeal to its base's bigotry to get votes, but they absolutely hated Bill Clinton, despite him being kind of the prototypical white Southerner. They deeply hated him because he was an incredibly successful Democratic politician.

Answer this question: is the act of launching attack ads/propaganda against a woman politician in and of itself sexist?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

1glitch0 posted:

Was that really not sexist? Half of the push was an attempt to position her as a sex object, which is pretty loving sexist and goddamn creepy given the Republican base. Just cause it wasnt negative hateful sexism doesn't mean it wasnt sexism.

Theres a reason why all these fox news presenters got sexually harassed, even though they didnt have a -d next to their names, because they were still viewed as just sex objects to please dirty old white men, not as equals.

They were sure that Kanye would deliver them the black vote, because they thought he was the leader of black people. They were sure women wanted to be protected by Trump from scary caravan men. They can switch off the white hot rage and hate if they think someone will help them, but they either cannot or will not turn off the racism and sexism.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 14, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GoutPatrol posted:

My mom had a much more interesting life than me, even if I did move halfway across the world. She felt like Milk was a huge sexist and treated all the women like poo poo.

Other famous people that she has commented on in the past:

Edward James Olmos: the nicest man in the world
Jonathan Banks: great guy!
Meatloaf: real shithead

Your mom sounds rad. A little disappointed to hear Meatloaf is a shithead, but yeah that seems plausible.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It must be a coincidence how often the right wing media starts ramping up the 'old evil dem women, actually money grubbing power vampires?' poo poo and a week later you see a bunch of liberals and leftists tripping over themselves to talk about how terrible they are

only fake leftists would hate AOC so far. she's great

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Mustached Demon posted:

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I've been up all night as usual so I'm bad at explaining things as usual.

Don't let those fuckers treat sexism and racism as a tool to attack political opponents. It normalizes that behavior since it then becomes equally as valid of an argument as traditional discourse based on difference of opinion. Call it out. Nothing's better than seeing an old white dude get all huffy puffy because you called them a racist, sexist shitbag.

I absolutely agree with you on that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Your mom sounds rad. A little disappointed to hear Meatloaf is a shithead, but yeah that seems plausible.

He strongly supported Romney in 2012.

https://youtu.be/Y7nVteJ8_8k

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

silence_kit posted:

IMO, I'm inclined to agree with 1glitch0's arguments. Yes, the Republican party likes to appeal to its base's bigotry to get votes, but they absolutely hated Bill Clinton, despite him being kind of the prototypical white Southerner. They deeply hated him because he was an incredibly successful Democratic politician.

Answer this question: is the act of launching attack ads/propaganda against a woman politician in and of itself sexist?

No an attack ad against a woman does not mean it's sexist.

Whether or not it's sexist is based on the rhetoric. Like I do not think a lot of the arguments against Pelosi posted here are sexist (not all of them aren't). However, a picture of her looking mean with a gavel in an ad makes it a sexist ad going off the 'angry bitch' angle.

You could also look at the other angle: use the same rhetoric on a man and would it have the exact same message? Bonus points with the gavel example because doing it to Obama makes him angry black man.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Eh, right wingers turn Elizabeth Warren into Hillary incarnate whenever she makes headlines, but in here most people just complain that she's too old to be president.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mustached Demon posted:

You could also look at the other angle: use the same rhetoric on a man and would it have the exact same message?

In the 2016 Democratic primary, Hillary liked to dunk on Bernie in attack ads for being an idealist, who doesn't know how to actually get things done. IMO, had Bernie been a woman politician, that type of ad could be seen as sexist, and narratives could be crafted implying sexist motivation behind those series of ads: 'yes, you WOULD question the competence of a woman, bigot'

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The_Donald: county zoop

quote:

WE AREN'T loving STUPID!!! I want a paper trail, investigation, and recount in every drat county across this country at this point.
-
Let's be very clear about this. If people do not go to prison for election fraud and the voting laws aren't TIGHTENED, there is NO loving REASON to ever vote for anything again.
-
Ignore the noise from FakeNews.
There's something serious going down in Florida. And if I'm right, things are about to blow nation-wide.

If you believe FakeNews, you think the mid terms are all over. Think again. Election fraud is being reported across the USA, in Florida, Georgia, Arizona, California, Iowa, Tennessee among other places.

My take? There's been an FBI/DOJ/DHS sting op in place for MONTHS. And we are only just seeing the beginning of a massive fraud scandal, that may well require a new election. My reasons in reply to this post.
-
If you don't believe me just look at how many people the left killed last century and how brainwashed and full of hate they are. They would start murdering people in a heartbeat if they could and it seemed more effective than voting, voter fraud, rioting, antifa terrorism or the various other illegal and dirty tactics they use. BE PREPARED. Better safe than sorry.
And keep up your physical shape too - not only because it's good for your health and makes you more attractive but it makes you more combat effective. At this point, all pedes should be thinking along these lines.
-
stop being a do nothing downer. I gave an action that can be done. get the list of non eligible voters already made by the state, and deny the seat in the senate by it. get on the phone, write letters. stop being a non doer.
-
The left's goal is to seize power by any means necessary: voting, voter fraud, mass murder, all just tools to seize power with no moral difference (only tactical differences). They will mass murder as soon as they think it’s most effective. BUY GUNS AND AMMO AND TRAIN REGULARLY WITH OTHER PATRIOTS.
-
Arizona cheating is built into their system: ask for a list of "federal voters" will give you all illegal votes!
-
After this shitshow washes under the bridge one way or the other, we'd be better off if average citizens got notices in the mail saying "please report for duty as (dog catcher/guvnor/county zoop/ Sheriff, etc) the same way we handle jury duty. Felt that way since I realized the mistake I made voting for Dubya
-
Though this past week has been challenging, let's never forget why we're here, and what we have achieved together. We love you, President Donald J. Trump. Thank you for fighting for us and for our country. God bless you and God bless all Pedes! Let's never give up! ❤️🇺🇸
-
yeah, so much for all that "we're watching the polls and all fraud will be prosecuted" line of bullshit.
They are laughing at us. Literally. Brenda Snipes is the most incompetent of them all, and there she is loving literally LAUGHING AT US ON CAMERA.
poo poo is so blatantly corrupt all around the country that the few people who DO play by the rules are looked at like they have six heads and treated like they're the criminals
-
The Atlantic, being the libtard infested news outlet it is, couldn't resist its bias in the link address.

...the-gop-just-received-another-tool-for-suppressing-votes...

'Muh voter suppression'... doesn't work now anti-Trump vermins.
For the first time in a long time, the POTUS isn't a traitor. Enjoy the show.
-
A MAGA hat should come with a gun
-
We have God, they have Satan
-
It kills me because it’s all part of The Game both sides are on the same team playing against every U.S. voter and we are powerless to stop it unless we want to abandon our jobs and our families and take our indignation into the streets.

Also this

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The_Donald: county zoop

Also this

Did that rear end in a top hat just manage to mix up Master Chief and the Doom marine?

Also, I'm so shocked Nintendo fans are toxic pieces of garbage. Really, this is my shocked face.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fulchrum posted:

Did that rear end in a top hat just manage to mix up Master Chief and the Doom marine?

Also, I'm so shocked Nintendo fans are toxic pieces of garbage. Really, this is my shocked face.

Yeah dude that was definitely a Nintendo fan that made that meme jesus gently caress step away from the keyboard

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you guys noticed all the Drake fans lately, posting those Drake memes?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a pre-existing meme where they changed the words to a different "punch line"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

I know I'm just asking if she referenced dril.

It is very easy to edit the text of a tweet through the inspect feature in most browsers, screen shot it, and then repost it somewhere so it looks like someone tweeted something they did not.

I actually made that exact joke, except it was Matt Bryant tweeting it earlier in the day yesterday.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So the donald is just openly calling to arms now, seemingly en masse, I know reddit doesn't want to shut it down because TD denizens are truly the craziest of the crazy and they're scared reddit hq will get shot up or whatever, but at what point will they actually be forced to shut it down?

Or is it just a massive honeypot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That's a pre-existing meme where they changed the words to a different "punch line"

miyamoto made this