Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

shovelbum posted:

Do any of you guys have a HI-MD device? I am curious as to how the mass storage/data mode on it works. I see ones that do not have line in, but that do have USB, relatively cheap on eBay because they are essentially totally useless. Wondering if I could cobble an MP3 player onto it, if it actually works as mass storage like I have heard it does.

I don't have one, but I did find a pack of 5 Hi-MD discs for $18 at a Sony store a year ago. Sold it for $145 on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It really is amazing just how paranoid we were about car and car stereo thieves we were in the 90's. I don't think me or anyone I knew ever had their car stolen, or stripped down to the frame like they would do in movies at that time.

The only car stereo I ever knew of getting stolen was the stock radio in the company van 10 years ago (gently caress I'm old). My employer at the time was actually more pissed off that the window got smashed to get to the cheap rear end radio.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Horace posted:

Perhaps slightly more convincing is this:

Motherfucker THATs a raspberry pi interface I can get behind.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
My mom's has her car broken into like 3 times in 10 years and every time the only thing stolen was the handicapped parking permit she has for my brother. Including the time when she left her iPhone and purse in the car when she had to run in quickly to pick him up.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Horace posted:

Perhaps slightly more convincing is this:

fake pushbutton radio. I remember these being in every car accessory shop in the 90s. Amazingly, while googling for a picture of one, I found that they still make them, but to hide your double DIN touchscreen:

Do new cars still have CD players?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Article from March of this year detailing that while they're on their way out, they haven't been completely killed off yet.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

I don't have one, but I did find a pack of 5 Hi-MD discs for $18 at a Sony store a year ago. Sold it for $145 on eBay.

Yeah the gigabyte media is insanely expensive now. You can reformat regular MD to hold 340 ish megs though which is a nice touch

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

We thought we might have to replace our 2001 Forester last month and were looking at a Honda CRV. Honda phased out CD players in that model, at least, as of the 2017 model year.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

EvilGenius posted:

My 2017 VW came with one. The CD player itself is in the glovebox.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My 2017 Toyota also has a CD player

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I always figured those big steering locks were the same as Those Torches, tiny milsurp shovels and "novelty" bottle openers - they were actually self defence weapons with an ostensible non-violent purpose.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

WescottF1 posted:

My 2017 VW came with one. The CD player itself is in the glovebox.

That’s funny, because in my old 2008 VW, the aux jack was in the glove box. Very inconvenient for picking music with MP3 players/phones.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Was there ever minidisks for data? Seemed like that would be another usage for the media.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
MO disks, yeah.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Was there ever minidisks for data? Seemed like that would be another usage for the media.

Yes, there was an early and seldom used 140 I think meg data format that had external drives and some PDAs, then the later HI-MD format (with capacities up to a gig) had data support but it was still separated from the locked down music so you couldn't like drag and drop mp3s but you could use your HI-MD as a flash drive basically. There was also a 650 meg version for camcorders that was only used a few times. LGR has a data minidisc video that breaks it down, the expense and the "data/audio firewall" kind of doomed it

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Volcott posted:

MO disks, yeah.

Good for storing combat data

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EvilGenius posted:

I... think my 86 has one? I can honestly say that I've never actually checked, what with the whole Bluetooth audio thing.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

shovelbum posted:

Yes, there was an early and seldom used 140 I think meg data format that had external drives and some PDAs, then the later HI-MD format (with capacities up to a gig) had data support but it was still separated from the locked down music so you couldn't like drag and drop mp3s but you could use your HI-MD as a flash drive basically. There was also a 650 meg version for camcorders that was only used a few times. LGR has a data minidisc video that breaks it down, the expense and the "data/audio firewall" kind of doomed it

I would have killed for an easy read/write format with that capacity in the early 00s. Removable storage lagged so far behind at that point. Hard drives were in the GBs, and just about any file of any use was too big to fit on a floppy and not worth burning a CD for. Zip drives were around I guess, but I don't think they had quite that capacity.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Someone once broke into my old Peugeot and only stole the removable front off of the stereo. Didn't steal the stereo itself and didn't steal the CDs that were lying on the passenger seat or the still shrink wrapped DVDs i bought for a gift that day. Still baffled by that....

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EvilGenius posted:

I would have killed for an easy read/write format with that capacity in the early 00s. Removable storage lagged so far behind at that point. Hard drives were in the GBs, and just about any file of any use was too big to fit on a floppy and not worth burning a CD for. Zip drives were around I guess, but I don't think they had quite that capacity.

Every time MiniDisc comes up in this thread or the Retro tech thread, it pains me a little how Sony mismanaged the format. They could have ruled the removable storage/media player segment so hard for 10-15 years, but they fumbled and I'm sure the record label arm of the company didn't help matters, with their fear of MP3.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

KozmoNaut posted:

Every time MiniDisc comes up in this thread or the Retro tech thread, it pains me a little how Sony mismanaged the format. They could have ruled the removable storage/media player segment so hard for 10-15 years, but they fumbled and I'm sure the record label arm of the company didn't help matters, with their fear of MP3.

Betamax, Minidisc, UMD, the forty different versions of MemoryStick... Sony doesn't have a good record when it comes to media formats. When Bluray vs HD-DVD was happening I would have put my money on HD-DVD solely because Sony were backing Bluray.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sony mismanages everything, not just media formats.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Sweevo posted:

Sony doesn't have a good record when it comes to media formats.

Except the pro formats. HDCAM, HDCAM SR and DigiBeta tapes are still around in archival use.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

It really is amazing just how paranoid we were about car and car stereo thieves we were in the 90's. I don't think me or anyone I knew ever had their car stolen, or stripped down to the frame like they would do in movies at that time.

The only car stereo I ever knew of getting stolen was the stock radio in the company van 10 years ago (gently caress I'm old). My employer at the time was actually more pissed off that the window got smashed to get to the cheap rear end radio.

You just had to live in an area or town where there were thieves actively stalking for systems. All of the car audio gear I had in the late 90's came from a guy that did that. He was a pro. His brother worked at a shop that did really high end stereo poo poo. His brother would tell him who just got the latest stuff then he would go steal the car, pillage all the stereo poo poo and I then either burn the car or push it into the river.

Going back, this was a lovely thing to do, but I got a ton of awesome gear for next to nothing. He did go to jail for awhile after he raided a rich guys garage though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Platystemon posted:

Sony mismanages everything, not just media formats.

But when it came to HD-DVD, Sony got out-mismanaged by Microsoft, who decided it was too much work to bundle in a HD-DVD player in the X360.

Which led to ridiculous problems down the line where games like LA Noire came on four disks.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

EvilGenius posted:

Also from Iomega was the Jaz drive which held 1GB or 2GB, with 1GB coming out in 1996:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaz_drive posted:

Earlier Jaz drives could overheat, and loading-mechanism jams could leave a disk stuck in the drive. Forcibly ejecting a stuck disk could destroy both drive and disk. Jaz drives are hard-disk technology, making them susceptible to contaminants in the drive; dust and grit could be introduced through a hole in the disk case where the motor drove the platters, and any dust built up on the external case could enter the drive with its next insertion. Additionally, the metal sliding door was capable of wearing the plastic, resulting in debris and head crashes.

Furthermore, the mechanism used to attach the platters to the spindle motor was complex and tended to vibrate noisily. Iomega implemented an anti-gyro device (much like an optical CD/DVD drive) within the cartridge to prevent vibration at spin-up, but this device lost effectiveness with age. As a result, the two platters could lose alignment, rendering the cartridge unusable. The plastic tabs attached to the bottom of a Jaz cartridge could become stripped or broken, rendering the inserted disk physically incapable of spinning up to operating speed.

Sounds great :v:

e: We used them at my work, but not me personally so I don't know what the failure rate was like.

I'm glad I just used CD-RWs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

From what I've heard, this is what kept throwing spanners in the works. Sony Corporation would make something that could have become the dominant media format, but then Sony Music and Sony Pictures would force it to be burdened with invasive DRM or limiting functionality because they're deathly afraid of anything that remotely smelled like it could enable piracy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Buttcoin purse posted:

e: We used them at my work, but not me personally so I don't know what the failure rate was like.

Our failure rate was 50%+

We had a literal shelf full of these as our archive and only copy (back when storage space was expensive) and everyone avoided doing a full check of what worked for fear of having to announce that it was all lost.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shai-Hulud posted:

Someone once broke into my old Peugeot and only stole the removable front off of the stereo. Didn't steal the stereo itself and didn't steal the CDs that were lying on the passenger seat or the still shrink wrapped DVDs i bought for a gift that day. Still baffled by that....

I suspect that the guy who broke in wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, and thought the removable front was the whole stereo.

That, or he was going for the stereo and heard someone coming so had to run with only the front.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Going back, this was a lovely thing to do, but I got a ton of awesome gear for next to nothing. He did go to jail for awhile after he raided a rich guys garage though.

It's a pity you didn't too. Go to jail, I mean.

edit: inb4 "it's just property, maaaaaan"/"if they could afford high end stereo gear then they could afford to pay for it twice"/something about the lovely US prison system

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Collateral Damage posted:

From what I've heard, this is what kept throwing spanners in the works. Sony Corporation would make something that could have become the dominant media format, but then Sony Music and Sony Pictures would force it to be burdened with invasive DRM or limiting functionality because they're deathly afraid of anything that remotely smelled like it could enable piracy.

Yeah, Sony's inter-divisional friction is incredible. Back when Singstar was in fashion, it would take their content team longer and be more expensive to license music from Sony BMG/SME than from external publishers, and they had to internally negotiate the license costs individually for every single track rather than do a bulk contract.

Power-tripping, feudal middle managers & divisional executives are an institutional cancer.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure this is how it worked for a while. Thieves only store the front panels from car stereos because of some really specific reason I can't recall anymore. It's possible they had fake units they could attach the panels to and then sell them for a decent profit to unsuspecting people. I suppose it could've also been a convenience thing, the removable front panels are light and you can fit a bunch in any bag or even your jacket pockets, but not so much with the full units.

Either that or they could get the units for free from somewhere but not the front panels for some reason. Either way, removing the front panel was key since would-be stereo thieves would see it's just the unit itself on there and leave it be.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I suspect it's spite for when they can't get away with the whole unit because it was properly secured.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, to play dragged and dropped mp3s from minidisc you'd basically have to build it into a device that was just using it as a drive

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Wasn't it Sony that had CDs that installed malware on your computer when you played them?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Serperoth posted:

Wasn't it Sony that had CDs that installed malware on your computer when you played them?

Yes, the Sony rootkit.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That was after they tried a protective ring printed on the bottom of the CD, which could be defeated by drawing over it with a Sharpie.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

To be fair to Sony, there was a time when having an unbeatable music DRM/having the dominant music format that was also unpirateable would have been a license to print money. Companies really wanted a way to stop or crowd out piracy, and would have drowned the first success in money, and by god Sony threw everything at the wall to see what would stick.

Apple eventually sidestepped the issue, not by better DRM, but by essentially making music too cheap to pirate.

mystes
May 31, 2006

EvilGenius posted:

There was udf/packet writing for CD/DVD-RW/DVD+RW I guess but it never was really popular.

I think DVD-RAM had the best support for random access writing but DVD-RW and DVD+RW killed it.

I have never touched a bluray because lol optical media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

mystes posted:

lol optical media.
8 years later I still haven't bought an extra SATA cable so I can finally plug in my never used DVD - RW drive.