Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Do pro soccer players actually play in that kind of poo poo field condition?

I get it's a soccer field first but goddamn did the grounds crew just have no idea? I have a hard time putting this on the NFL for expecting basic competence in grounds keeping.

my understanding is that there's zero contact in soccer and you have to stare at the ball to dribble so naturally don't step in potholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The best post is the one saying RG3 will be in the CFL in 4 years. Browns last year wasn’t too far off!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Keith Atherton posted:

NFL doesn’t have to worry about Mahomes getting blinded

I completely forgot about the laser pointers in Mexico City.

Instead the players will just develop some lung disease.

Like MESOTHELIOMA!!!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kawalimus posted:

The Saints situation is officially an emergency. This means that I will cheer for any team against them, INCLUDING the Redskins. Although they've already lost to them so worthless. Every time in my entire life I have rooted for the Redskins, they have lost. But if they somehow met in an NFC Championship game, I would even root for the Redskins. Unless the Ravens were going to be the SB team for the AFC, in which case it would become much more complicated. But that's not going to happen, so yes in a Redskins/Saints NFCC I am for Washington.

Geaux Saints

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Kawalimus posted:

The Saints situation is officially an emergency. This means that I will cheer for any team against them, INCLUDING the Redskins. Although they've already lost to them so worthless. Every time in my entire life I have rooted for the Redskins, they have lost. But if they somehow met in an NFC Championship game, I would even root for the Redskins. Unless the Ravens were going to be the SB team for the AFC, in which case it would become much more complicated. But that's not going to happen, so yes in a Redskins/Saints NFCC I am for Washington.

I haven't laughed this hard in a while, thank you

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

I completely forgot about the laser pointers in Mexico City.

Instead the players will just develop some lung disease.

Like MESOTHELIOMA!!!

if you or your loved one has attended a game in mexico city, you're entitled to financial restitution

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

A.o.D. posted:

I hope you only see rock doves for the rest of your life.

The common name was changed to Rock Pigeon some time ago!! :D

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

The Trump situation is officially an emergency. This means that I will cheer for any team against them, INCLUDING the Clintons. Although they've already lost to them so worthless. Every time in my entire life I have rooted for the Clintons, they have lost. But if they somehow met in an election, I would even root for the Sanders'. Unless the Bidens were going to be the candidate for the left, in which case it would become much more complicated. But that's not going to happen, so yes in a Trump/Clinton USACG I am for Hillary.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

BrownThunder posted:

The Trump situation is officially an emergency. This means that I will cheer for any team against them, INCLUDING the Clintons. Although they've already lost to them so worthless. Every time in my entire life I have rooted for the Clintons, they have lost. But if they somehow met in an election, I would even root for the Sanders'. Unless the Bidens were going to be the candidate for the left, in which case it would become much more complicated. But that's not going to happen, so yes in a Trump/Clinton USACG I am for Hillary.

BrownThunder.......... welcome....
2 #theresistance

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kawalimus posted:

:siren:WE HAVE A SUPER BOWL RECORD EMERGENCY:siren:

If we've lost Kawalimus' support, I guess there's just one thing left to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-hDl6OALv4&t=7s

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BrownThunder posted:

:holymoley:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BrownThunder posted:

Which NFL team is Jill Stein?

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Silly Burrito posted:

Which NFL team is Jill Stein?

The Bengals

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

I saw two Northern Flickers on a telephone pole the other day in my neighborhood

They were all worked up about something

I like the yellow-shafted flickers we have here. But the red-shafted ones out west are nice too.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

:siren:WE HAVE A SUPER BOWL RECORD EMERGENCY:siren:

If we've lost Kawalimus' support, I guess there's just one thing left to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-hDl6OALv4&t=7s

It's really nothing against the Saints in general or against their fans. They just can't have this. This is ours. If you make the Superbowl and lose though, you're ok forever :)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Screw that, I hope the only bird you see for the rest of your life are those plastic scarecrow owls.

And the really cheap ones, at that.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I used to be indifferent toward the Ravens but Kawalimua has made me hate them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I more into Ravens than ive ever been before.

Grilled, boiled, roasted, fricasse it all sounds so delicious now

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Kawalimus posted:

It's really nothing against the Saints in general or against their fans. They just can't have this. This is ours. If you make the Superbowl and lose though, you're ok forever :)

its as much your super bowl this year as it was the vikings home superbowl last year shut the gently caress up

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9pXbX7gDPGk

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

BrownThunder posted:

:mrgw:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have a 10 hour and 17 hour flight coming up and I need books and podcasts to distract me does anyone know any good football books? I'd take sports books in general too....

I've read and enjoyed Brining the Heat, smart Football, 3 bricks shy of a load, Gunslinger, the Charles haley book, take your eye off the ball.

I also read Meat Market, the parcels bio, war room, patriot way, Next man up, wade Phillip's bio and bum Phillip's bio and the saban bio.

Pls help and post more.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Slow Getting Up seemed like people liked it when it came out (Nate Jackson's book about his experience in the league).

Most of my sports reading is baseball related, which might immediately disqualify it for you. Ball Four might be a good read even if you don't like the sport though possibly.

e: Oh, I meant to read the recentish Walter Payton book Sweetness. It got good reviews at least, if you read it let me know how it is.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 14, 2018

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Waroduce posted:

I have a 10 hour and 17 hour flight coming up and I need books and podcasts to distract me does anyone know any good football books? I'd take sports books in general too....

I've read and enjoyed Brining the Heat, smart Football, 3 bricks shy of a load, Gunslinger, the Charles haley book, take your eye off the ball.

I also read Meat Market, the parcels bio, war room, patriot way, Next man up, wade Phillip's bio and bum Phillip's bio and the saban bio.

Pls help and post more.

Mike Lombardi just released a book.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

BrownThunder posted:

God bless you BT.

:911:

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
Saints will be without LT Terron Armstead for about a month, per Ian Rapoport.

There is a huge dropoff from Armstead to Bushrod. Philly, Atlanta, Dallas are going to be rough.

cpranger fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 14, 2018

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sad King Billy posted:

Mike Lombardi just released a book.

I'm not sure who that is

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cpranger posted:

There is a huge dropoff from Armstead to Bushrod. Philly, Atlanta, Dallas are going to be rough.
There is a huge dropoff, yes, but the rest of the OL is so dominant and the offensive gameplanning so good that it probably wont matter.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm not sure who that is
Be thankful.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

cpranger posted:

The only way I see Dallas coming close is if you lose Brees.

I look at that win against the Eagles as a fluke. 8-8 or worse is still my expectation.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Waroduce posted:

Pls help and post more.

The new Down Goes Brown hockey history book is awesome.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Barudak posted:

I more into Ravens than ive ever been before.

Grilled, boiled, roasted, fricasse it all sounds so delicious now

Never thought you would eat a raven, but here you are eating crow. :haw:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm not sure who that is

Mike Lombardi is the one person who writes for The Ringer who makes Bill Simmons look comparatively hip and with it. I remember he dropped a real turd about Cam Newton but I can't find that one offhand, but look at this. If Fire Joe Morgan-style takedowns were still en vogue he'd be a lot more popular.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Power of Pecota posted:

Mike Lombardi is the one person who writes for The Ringer who makes Bill Simmons look comparatively hip and with it. I remember he dropped a real turd about Cam Newton but I can't find that one offhand, but look at this. If Fire Joe Morgan-style takedowns were still en vogue he'd be a lot more popular.

This bit?

quote:

Former NFL executive and NFL Network analyst Mike Lombardi said Newton “has a game like Ben’s. He can move out of the pocket and throw the ball down field, and he’s difficult to tackle.”

With Newton, there are questions about character issues.

“What worries me about Cam Newton is is he a person who is going to work hard?” Lombardi said. “Will he be dedicated? Is the money going to spoil him? Will he take coaching? What kind of a leader will he be?”

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/2011-04-18/story/cam-newton-faces-questions-character-ahead-nfl-draft

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm not sure who that is

>>>>>>

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1062714512116248576?s=19

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm not sure who that is

Used to be Browns GM, constantly namedrops Bellichik and Al Davis.

I'm not saying that he was a good GM but there might be interesting stuff in that book.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This is my favourite Mike Lombardi bad take

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/22/16036696/los-angeles-rams-sean-mcvay-stan-kroenke-63646f1f2df2

quote:

Because they drafted a young quarterback — the thus far woeful Jared Goff — that appears to be in need of major skill development, the Rams decided to hire a quarterback guru as their head coach. They’re oblivious to their losing culture, therefore they never view their problems in a global sense, instead thinking linearly. They reduce this incredible amount of losing to a simple solution — just get a good quarterback coach, and we’ll be fine. So in comes Sean McVay, an enthusiastic 31-year-old first-time head coach. When Bill Belichick was 31, he was the linebackers coach for the New York Giants. Pete Carroll? He was the defensive coordinator at NC State. Gregg Popovich? He was head coach of Division III Pomona-Pitzer. To say McVay is youthful is an understatement. Often we confuse enthusiasm with the ability to effect change, and right now the Rams under McVay have tremendous enthusiasm — but can they change?

It’s unclear if McVay been around long enough to understand what a winning culture entails. Right now, McVay is like Axl Rose stepping off the bus in the “Welcome to the Jungle” video — he’s new to this.

Will Sean McVay walk into defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ office and demand he enact a specific game plan on D? Of course not. McVay is going to spend all his time working with the quarterback, generating that enthusiasm for the team — he’s going to leave Phillips alone. That might work in the short term, but it won’t work in the long run. When Phillips retires in a few short years, what happens then? McVay hired the celebrated Phillips exactly because he knows what he’s doing — as a first-time head coach, he’d be prudent to let Phillips lead the defense. There is a fine line between meddling and installing your culture. Phillips works for McVay, therefore, McVay must show the team he is in charge by using his intelligence on all sides of the ball, not displaying his title. It takes confidence in your football knowledge to do this. Does McVay have that knowledge? We’ll see.

Either way, ending the organization’s historic losing will require a historic turnaround. Fans believe it’s as simple as draft better, coach harder, be more enthusiastic. But the calcifying patterns of previous decades will be difficult to reverse. McVay might want to call Jeff Bezos and ask him about how he plans to redefine Whole Foods’ culture. As the great business guru Peter Drucker once said, “Organizational culture eats strategy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.” Bon appétit, Rams fans.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Mike Lombardi is an actual idiot and you shouldn't read or listen to anything by or involving him

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I feel like "culture building" taking priority over "knowing what the gently caress you're doing" can explain a good chunk of failed coaching hires and careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I like listening to Mike Lombardi on GM street cause he makes fun of everyone and talks mad poo poo.