Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Julias posted:

I mean, there's nothing that says once the user of the soul soul fruit dies, that all the things they put their soul into to animate dies as well?

Besides Luffy never kills the enemies that he defeats, though that poses an issue of how you defeat a yonkou and keep them from coming back again.

Sugar being knocked out freed all the toys, same with Moria's shadows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the general rule is that if the user is knocked out (sleeping doesn't count), their powers are also cancelled.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
This might be different since it's Big Mom's own soul, though. I don't think it is but it might be!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Jose posted:

Sugar being knocked out freed all the toys, same with Moria's shadows

Moria's shadows may be a wierd case since they were all pulled back into his body before he got the ko

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I think someone probably thought this already, but what if Big Mom ate Mother Carmel, but she was still alive in Big Mom's stomach and Big Mom could somehow use her soul power through some kind of proxy? Luffy hits her stomach hard enough with a kong gun or a culverin, out pops Carmel and away goes her connection to the soul fruit.

I mean, if Luffy is going to be Pirate King, he has to decisively defeat all four Emperors otherwise the title won't mean much. I'm sure Oda has something special for a final powerup whether it's awakening, gear fifth, or a combination thereof, that will enable Luffy to go toe-to-toe with the Emperors.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
we're getting into nanomachines terriroty here

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what if big mom is a homie

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

oddium posted:

what if big mom is a homie

You mean that the real mastermind behind Big Mom was Napoleon all along?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Caramel has been hiding inside Big Mom all along!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

What are the odds on one of the Devil Fruit-less OG Straw Hats getting one before the series ends? It's something I've wanted to see for a long time, and it was sort of foreshadowed in Enies Lobby with Kaku and Jabra. Did Oda ever rule this out in an SBS?

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I know it won't happen, but you got me thinking about how Franky could eat a devil fruit, then install propellers and torpedo systems and poo poo in himself to get around the ocean weakness.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
stab zeus to power up big mom

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Kaido's gonna die and I'm betting my bottom dollar it'll be seastone related.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Thousand Sunny should have gotten Ace's fruit

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Important question for Dr. Vegapunk, if a boat eats a devil fruit can it still sail?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Countblanc posted:

Oh god a boat with a devil fruit is such a wonderfull, terrible idea I need to see it happen.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
A beautiful bisoromi bear boat

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If over time I replace every component of the boat with new pieces, and also later use the original pieces to assemble a second boat, which boat has the devil fruit powers?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Countblanc posted:

it's gonna get a lion fruit so it can hop onto land and kick rear end

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gruckles posted:

If over time I replace every component of the boat with new pieces, and also later use the original pieces to assemble a second boat, which boat has the devil fruit powers?

Whichever boat has the old masthead. If you break up the masthead, the boat "dies" and the fruit grows somewhere else.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
wanos so good its gotten a bit lost but man mariejois is a loving nightmare hellhole place

im thinking of those panels with the "moving streets" actually just being slave powered and also kuma just being ridden and stripped of all humanity

oda's world design new world onward has been absolutely, top tier imaginative and interesting

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i hope someday we see the book of devil fruits that sanji and blackbeard both had

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
One Fruit, Two Fruit
Red Fruit, Blue Fruit

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

scary ghost dog posted:

i hope someday we see the book of devil fruits that sanji and blackbeard both had

yeah its weird to think about how theres complete knowledge of fruits out there somehow

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tbp posted:

wanos so good its gotten a bit lost but man mariejois is a loving nightmare hellhole place

im thinking of those panels with the "moving streets" actually just being slave powered and also kuma just being ridden and stripped of all humanity

oda's world design new world onward has been absolutely, top tier imaginative and interesting

:hai:

I love Wano so much but I also want more of Mariejois so I'm hoping we get to see more of it and Reverie during an intermission between acts or something

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hmm.. when did we learn that knocking out a DF user would make them release their power? earliest i recall is moria, but was it ever said or explained before the big showdown? i'm trying to recall if the SHs bet it all on some "theory" at the end or if it was known that would happen.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
It may have still been a theory during Thriller Bark, but it was definitely confirmed during Dressrosa because Kyros and the Tontatta knew that knocking Sugar out would dispel the toys.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Weren't all the other pirates trapped on thriller bark pretty sure it would work? I thought that was a big part of the plan that beating Moria would release them all

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Is sleeping not considered as "knocked out" or did I miss/forget some justification about it somewhere

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

blizzardvizard posted:

Is sleeping not considered as "knocked out" or did I miss/forget some justification about it somewhere

I reckon it's different because there's literally a huge difference between sleeping and being knocked out unconscious. Fainting isn't just falling asleep rapidly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

just falling asleep doesn't count. it has to be a forced loss of consciousness

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The important part is losing self-control/concentration I think. Though I don't think it might necessarily work the same way with Big Mom.

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm sure that'd be a fun piece of merchandise, but I very much doubt we'll see it til after the series is over and Oda doesn't have to come up with any more Devil Fruits.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Not brought up int he series I don't think, but there's actually a medically recognizable difference between being asleep and being knocked unconscious by some other means. Your brain activity is different, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that powers can remain active while you sleep normally, but are no longer maintained while comatose.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The important part is losing self-control/concentration I think. Though I don't think it might necessarily work the same way with Big Mom.

I'm sure that'd be a fun piece of merchandise, but I very much doubt we'll see it til after the series is over and Oda doesn't have to come up with any more Devil Fruits.

i dont have to see every page...but its been mentioned twice so im sure it will show up

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Sugar's powers did not dispell at any point in the past decade or so that Doflamingo ruled Dressrosa

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Moria's fruit is an exception to the knockout rule. He lost all the shadows because he ate them all and couldn't control the power. I guess the tradeoff is the people's whos shadows were taken can still fight back, while Sugar locks you in to slave mode for eternity

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wachter posted:

What are the odds on one of the Devil Fruit-less OG Straw Hats getting one before the series ends? It's something I've wanted to see for a long time, and it was sort of foreshadowed in Enies Lobby with Kaku and Jabra. Did Oda ever rule this out in an SBS?

I could see Usopp getting a really lovely one that he has to be super creative to effectively use. Otherwise I don't think it's gonna happen since every member already has their own gimmick and everything. Maaaaybe Nami with a weather control fruit but Dragon probably already has that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RatHat posted:

I could see Usopp getting a really lovely one that he has to be super creative to effectively use. Otherwise I don't think it's gonna happen since every member already has their own gimmick and everything. Maaaaybe Nami with a weather control fruit but Dragon probably already has that.
Man I can't wait to find out what power Dragon has. People used to theorize that he had an Eastern Dragon Zoan fruit since they control the weather, but now that we have Kaido with that power I don't know what it could be besides a Wind or straightforward Weather Fruit.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 15, 2018

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

RatHat posted:

I could see Usopp getting a really lovely one that he has to be super creative to effectively use.

Exactly, Usopp lucking into an ability which has nothing to do with sniping (and is also kind of humiliating) seems just right. And then he uses it in a one-on-one in some ludicrous fashion to tip the scales and absolutely bury someone.

For such a huge part of the OP world, I can't remember ever really seeing a user puzzling out and developing the abilities of their Fruits. The Gears are all developed off-camera, and up until the Gear Fourth homing pinch they've basically just been ways to hit people harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wachter posted:

For such a huge part of the OP world, I can't remember ever really seeing a user puzzling out and developing the abilities of their Fruits. The Gears are all developed off-camera, and up until the Gear Fourth homing pinch they've basically just been ways to hit people harder.
As far as I know, besides Luffy's clumsiness with his power as a kid, we've only seen a Fruit user screwing up and having to figure out how their fruit works once. But it was fantastic.

Califa for some reason had control over hers right off the bat. Impressive considering she went from a newbie to using the "advanced" applications real quick-like. From traditional soap cleaning to "cleaning away" someone's strength.