Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Imagine complaining that people are still talking about Pokemon 20 years later when Harry Potter exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Death By The Blues posted:

I was talking to some in generation Z (born post 2000) and even though they weren't alive in the 90s apparently even their generation is nostalgic for the 90s and kind of yearn to have the perceived innocence of the era. I guess being born and raised into a post 9/11/Trump era would do that.

I read a Vice article where some Gen Z kids were talking poo poo about millennials so that entire generation is cancelled now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CPL593H posted:

My thing with pokemon isn't that it's "childish" to like it or whatever (although there are plenty of adults who get weird about it, but that's another topic). I'm just sick of hearing about it. I never particularly cared for it when it was at the height of its popularity and I figured after about 20 years or so the constant jabbering about it would taper off, but nope. It's just annoying to hear people blather on incessantly about some bullshit that really needs no further discussion. Like Star Wars. I could go the rest of my life and never hear anyone talk about Star Wars again and it would be too soon and I actually loving like Star Wars.

The world of Pokemon is a far more interesting and richer fictional setting than the Star Wars universe.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is there a good online resource for watching pre-1900 films? Other than searching for the individual titles on YouTube and the like.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

CPL593H posted:

My thing with pokemon isn't that it's "childish" to like it or whatever (although there are plenty of adults who get weird about it, but that's another topic). I'm just sick of hearing about it. I never particularly cared for it when it was at the height of its popularity and I figured after about 20 years or so the constant jabbering about it would taper off, but nope. It's just annoying to hear people blather on incessantly about some bullshit that really needs no further discussion. Like Star Wars. I could go the rest of my life and never hear anyone talk about Star Wars again and it would be too soon and I actually loving like Star Wars.

You hang out with the wrong people

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
It's not that crazy for people to like Pokemon, though. The game format appeals to fans of RPGs and people obsessed with collecting. The cartoon is cute and kid-friendly. There's tons of marketing material for people to buy. The original kids that grew up playing the original games are now old enough to have kids of their own, so the interest in the games and cartoons (and now movies) are ways for parents and kids to connect.

The whole 30-somethings chasing nostalgic buzz to the point of navel-gazing isn't a majority (is it?), and they are in every fandom. Harry Potter fans are the worst about this. I know people that go to the Harry Potter theme park every few months just to go play with their loving wands. They could add like, a new statue or some poo poo, and they're hopping in their car to go get sugar-buzzed on butter beer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is there a good online resource for watching pre-1900 films? Other than searching for the individual titles on YouTube and the like.

Archive.org allows you to search movies by year and select multiple years. They seem to have about 50 films from 1900 and earlier, and they have 14k films with years unlisted.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

At least people aren't comparing politics to Pokémon yet.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

FreudianSlippers posted:

At least people aren't comparing politics to Pokémon yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwaiyjh1dGk

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I like Pokemon for the gameplay. I haven't actually played it since Gen III though.

Adulthood isn't about what you enjoy, anyways. It's about how you treat other people; children are permitted to be selfish in ways adults aren't.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not gonna fully judge the movie on this, but I’d love it if more doubt footage films would really get authentic with it. If it’s set in the past, track down an old camera or something that could replicate that look.

People should do more set in the 90’s FF movies, because I can’t imagine cameras from back then would cost a whole lot.

There was a Chilean narrative biographical drama called No, which was about an election in the 1980s that was filmed on 1980s camera equipment.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Also if we’re talking about Pokémon, which Pokémon would you eat and how would you prepare it?

Vanillish, the ice cream cone Pokémon, as-is.

Budgie Jumping posted:

This is horrid. You can't get consent from a creature with a one word vocabulary.

Edit: oh yeah there's the talking cat. So I guess that one.

Edit 2: and no i don't mean eric roberts.

Team Rocket’s Meowth is the only Meowth that can talk. I think some of the legendaries (especially Mewtwo in Pokémon: The First Movie) can speak with more than just their names.

CPL593H posted:

That's a fair question. Probably not. But this is just a thing I don't get why people just loving love it. There's all kinds of poo poo I don't like and don't care about but usually I get why people like it. I guess mostly I just wish people would like new poo poo instead of just renewing their interest in the same thing over and over again. It's boring.

I like Pokémon because Geodude is real, and strong, and he’s my friend.

LesterGroans posted:

Is Pokemon something that's stagnating though? Doesn't it have fans that are kids? I mean, I know the original Pokemen but have no idea what anything past 150 is, but I know they kept going.

A couple weeks ago I was at a high school and saw a kid in a Pokémon shirt and was struck with the thought that I was first into Pokémon before that kid was born, so yeah it’s still popular among kids.

Escobarbarian posted:

Imagine complaining that people are still talking about Pokemon 20 years later when Harry Potter exists

:yeah:

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
my gamer coworker is irrationally angry about the new pokemon movie cause "it should be about gym battles"

he's growled like 4 times about it in the past 2 days

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/karolinecelly/status/1062089060632674304

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So blessed. Reminds me of the hound and the goose from last week.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

he's growled like 4 times about it in the past 2 days

growl like an animal growl, or like some pulse waves over a noise channel?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Or like a Black Metal vocalist?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Schwarzwald posted:

growl like an animal growl, or like some pulse waves over a noise channel?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Or like a Black Metal vocalist?

like an impotent black metal vocalist / gamer

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

YTOTD is courtesy of the man himself, David Lynch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDAJIWvTKw8

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Can’t believe he didn’t light a blunt with Spyro’s flamethrower

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Franchescanado posted:

Archive.org allows you to search movies by year and select multiple years. They seem to have about 50 films from 1900 and earlier, and they have 14k films with years unlisted.

I'll give it a shot, thanks. My plan was to watch every film released in the 19th century that is mentioned on Letterboxd, but a lot of their entries are almost impossible to find, even the ones which aren't 'officially' considered lost.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

The whole 30-somethings chasing nostalgic buzz to the point of navel-gazing isn't a majority (is it?), and they are in every fandom. Harry Potter fans are the worst about this. I know people that go to the Harry Potter theme park every few months just to go play with their loving wands. They could add like, a new statue or some poo poo, and they're hopping in their car to go get sugar-buzzed on butter beer.

I'm gonna be honest, I totally fell off Harry Potter as a kid around book 5 but I went to Universal over the summer and poked around in the Harry Potter bit

Butterbeer is genuinely really loving good, and those wands are really cool (though I didn't personally get one)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I totally fell off Harry Potter as a kid around book 5 but I went to Universal over the summer and poked around in the Harry Potter bit

Butterbeer is genuinely really loving good, and those wands are really cool (though I didn't personally get one)

Do they work?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Escobarbarian posted:

Harry Potter is the only piece of pop culture that steadily gets worse the more time passes since its release.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

Do they work?

Yes but you have to get the weird motion right. I did it to this fountain and got shot in the face with water. What a douche fountain

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

like an impotent black metal vocalist / gamer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYW2rOYj22w

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Harry Potter is the only piece of pop culture that steadily gets worse the more time passes since its release.

I mean, not the only thing but certainly one of the most prominent.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

Do they work?

In the sense that they're basically just a way to trigger various effects in that area of the park, yeah. Unfortunately, you can't cast Magic Missile on people for cutting in line.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TrixRabbi posted:

I mean, not the only thing but certainly one of the most prominent.

Fair qualification.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Do they work?

Yeah. They're (expensive) wands that, when used like you're casting spells, interact with hidden animatronics throughout the theme park. Some are obvious, some are kept secret, and I guess every so often they add a new secret animatronic. There are forums and guides to all of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you’re with friends or family it’s worth it to buy one. They’re 50 bucks which is too much, but might be easier to swallow when you split it. It’s amusing enough while you’re there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t like Butterbeer :( but the main ride was ok

sat in the cinema and super ready for WIDOWS

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Franchescanado posted:

There are forums and guides to all of it.

There must be so much loneliness involved in every part of this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s two rides. One in Islands of Adventure and one in Universal. Imo the IOA is the best one. The animatronics are legit

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

If you’re with friends or family it’s worth it to buy one. They’re 50 bucks which is too much, but might be easier to swallow when you split it. It’s amusing enough while you’re there.

And when you're not there you've got a useful piece of expensive plastic!

I was there in February though and the Harry Potter worlds are indeed dope.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

They probably all go to Universal together so probably not

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Eh, kids love it, and my adult friends that have bought them have done so as a couple's date. And then there are groups that do it together, like Pokemon Go.

If I did it, it'd be lonely as gently caress. But that's more to do with my being lonely as gently caress.

:sigh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most of the Pokemon fans I know usually play with others. This is a pretty lame meltdown about people liking a thing you don’t like

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Most of the Pokemon fans I know usually play with others. This is a pretty lame meltdown about people liking a thing you don’t like

The social aspect is what makes that series so brilliant.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Escobarbarian posted:

"I don't like the thing. Okay, here's why. I don't want to poo poo up the thread with this anymore." is far from what I'd call "a meltdown".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

"Meltdown" seems like a pretty bad reading of his tone here.