Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chris Tolkien retired as caretaker of the Middle Earth stuff and Amazon bought the TV rights immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Didn’t those spoilers come out quite a long time before the show aired too?

IIRC there were some massive leaks last time because of the HBO hack but this time they've been really anal about spoiler leaks.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Re: Mid-late season runs; Seinfeld didn't really get cooking until Season 4-5. It had its moments here and there before then (parking garage, book detective), but it wasn't until The Contest that it became a phenomenon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Leah Remini's gently caress Scientology is doing a 2 hour gently caress The Jehovah's Witnesses special right now and it's great

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The final season of A Series of Unfortunate Events drops January 1st.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

Hell yeah. I'm more hype for that than GoT if I'm being honest

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Leah Remini's gently caress Scientology is doing a 2 hour gently caress The Jehovah's Witnesses special right now and it's great

Burn down the system Leah. I'll be watching that

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

It really is astonishing he couldn't get it done. When GoT was announced people were joking about it but here it is, it happened, the show finished before the books. Have any other authors basically wholly abanandoned their insanely popular series of books? I know ACD tried to but the people wouldn't let him.

Not only that, the whole series will come out in the time it took him to write book 6.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I don't think there's any scripted show that had its best episodes/run after season 5.

The Shield

Seconding The Simpsons, South Park and Seinfeld too.

Also, it's kind of an unfair statement. There are barely any scripted shows that get more than 5 seasons.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Jesus what a way to ring in the new year

I think I'll still be traveling, hosed up to have to wait on this one :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Chris Tolkien retired as caretaker of the Middle Earth stuff and Amazon bought the TV rights immediately.
It goes public domain in a couple decades anyway, right? Or is it like Disney where they'll just skirt copyright law by saying "we can do whatever the gently caress we want, gently caress you?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Shield's high bar moment is when Shane drops that grenade. I screamed at my TV.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Woohoo The Curse of Oak Island is back tonight! I love this crazy poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

Woohoo The Curse of Oak Island is back tonight! I love this crazy poo poo.

I've never watched it but one of my ex-girlfriend's dad is on it. I keep meaning to because she's told me some wild stories

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

It goes public domain in a couple decades anyway, right? Or is it like Disney where they'll just skirt copyright law by saying "we can do whatever the gently caress we want, gently caress you?"

Two decades is an eternity for corporate shareholders.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Two decades is an eternity for corporate shareholders.
Fair enough

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Does MASH stream anywhere?

More specifically, does MASH stream in Australia anywhere?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

Does MASH stream anywhere?

More specifically, does MASH stream in Australia anywhere?
Sorry, it streams in all countries except North Korea, Australia, and Madagascar - the latter closed down their internet in order to prevent the spread of computer viruses.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I know that's a sick burn of some kind but I don't get it.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Looten Plunder posted:

I know that's a sick burn of some kind but I don't get it.

Pretty sure it's just a reference to Plague Inc, a game where you're a virus trying to infect and kill the whole world. Madagascar especially was notorious for closing it's borders to prevent the virus spreading there.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lycus posted:

He should've just stuck with going for a trilogy.

My childhood friend read A Game of Thrones when we were in middle school and we're both 34 now. He really, really should've ended the novels with the Red Wedding, especially considering how he recently talked about how ASoIaF was originally going to be a short story.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daedo posted:

Pretty sure it's just a reference to Plague Inc, a game where you're a virus trying to infect and kill the whole world. Madagascar especially was notorious for closing it's borders to prevent the virus spreading there.
It's this.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The 4400 thing is so weird. It's a generic enough premise that was elevated by a cast that was pretty good and had great chemistry. It was also one of the things that launched Mahershala Ali's career

Capturing that again is a hard ask.

I’m way late to this but I found the concept to be awesome but most of the cast was poo poo. I welcome a reboot.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

precision posted:

Yeah but he'll be dead and at some point nobody in control of those rights will care and/or will want money

They'll just do a novelisation of the end of the TV show. Maybe by Kevin J. Anderson :getin:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hot take: Farscape is basically a retelling of Flash Gordon.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 14, 2018

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

esperterra posted:

iirc he has it in his will to have his notes destroyed and not let anyone finish it.

He's said in interviews before that he doesn't plan out anything he writes because he views it like gardening or something. Basically there are no notes to be destroyed, he just says stuff like that because people are mean to him for being a liar with no work ethic (I say as I post from work).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

Hot take: Farscape is basically a retelling of Flash Gordon.

How is it a hot take when that was literally a part of the series pitch?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speak of the devil

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasn't that announced months ago?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Syfy bought the rights 5 years ago, then another production house got the rights and said they are doing a TV show, and now Hulu says they are.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Vanderdeath posted:

My childhood friend read A Game of Thrones when we were in middle school and we're both 34 now. He really, really should've ended the novels with the Red Wedding, especially considering how he recently talked about how ASoIaF was originally going to be a short story.

IRQ posted:

He's said in interviews before that he doesn't plan out anything he writes because he views it like gardening or something. Basically there are no notes to be destroyed, he just says stuff like that because people are mean to him for being a liar with no work ethic (I say as I post from work).

Huh? What? He talks about this on his blog, all the time... :confused:

The books had the same end-point as now when it was planned as a trilogy, he just planned to time-skip a lot.

He's also made extensive notes and plotted the narratives and much of the dialogue for the 9, main POV characters, so the books will be (basically are) finished: he just has to write them.

I completely understand why he doesn't finish: 1) it's a cash cow-ride that ends when the series is over and 2) would you really want to be working on the same art project for 25+ years?

zoux posted:

Speak of the devil

Huh...I wonder if the Consortium gets a cut...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GRRM made a Winds-specific post on his blog recently that was just like “look it’s really big okay”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also Oberon was the best character ever on GoT and his showdown with the Mountain was badass.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheCut/status/1062715119724052480

lol

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

GRRM made a Winds-specific post on his blog recently that was just like “look it’s really big okay”

Wow, he acknowledged that books exist during football season? That's like the first time in 20 years.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rhyno posted:

How is it a hot take when that was literally a part of the series pitch?

For real? It just dawned on me. Ok so maybe I'm slow on the uptake. Wait for my brutal takedown on Big Bang Theory being like Friends but with nerds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

For real? It just dawned on me. Ok so maybe I'm slow on the uptake. Wait for my brutal takedown on Big Bang Theory being like Friends but with nerds.

I believe there's a special feature on the original DVDs called "the series pitch" where Kemper talks about it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

IRQ posted:

Wow, he acknowledged that books exist during football season? That's like the first time in 20 years.

https://news.avclub.com/george-r-r-martin-admits-hes-struggling-with-the-win-1830382987 He admitted he's struggling with Winds and openly said he's actively debating whether finishing the series is a priority versus writing more side stories which he'd at least have more fun with and not feel like he's "being rushed"

It wasn't even a running gag in the GoT threads, he straight up is never finishing the main series in his lifetime. It's not a joke or "cruel", it's the truth

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

He does have notes, but yeah no detailed outlines like most writers do. He writes like I do tbh lmao. Figure out your main beats snd just let the characters take you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My running theory on why GURM hasn't finished Winds is his billion year old computer that runs Wordstar must have finally died.