Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Do not hand a senate seat to McSally, unless she runs as a Democrat, in which case hand a senate seat to her because you don't want a Republican to get it do you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1062721568198008834

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/sgurman/status/1062722208647311361

BREAKING: turns out DOJ did not just say "my bad, that was illegal"

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Condiv posted:

i have never once said "hand the seat to McSally". the very first thing i have posted in this thread wrt sinema is that her behavior is reprehensible and should not be tolerable in the dem party

You know, you've made that point a dozen times already, each time using the same single event as evidence and never adding anything new to each reply. You could at least lay out a better case to support your point instead of repeating the same terse post endlessly. You know, to add actual content to the loving thread.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SocketWrench posted:

Fire back "why is Donald afraid of his original name Drumpf"

Why not just ignore it and let them scream into the abyss? I don't think any logic will get through to them.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

"We rigged it too well for you to fix even if you tried to cheat us back."

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

If Nazis were to come in vogue in Georgia, the current argument is we shouldn't fault someone with a D next to their name if they vote for a measure to kill the Jews because the other option was to not kill them and they might lose the election

I think the option here was vote for the one advocating killing the jews over the one advocating killing everyone.
Yeah, it's a poo poo choice, but one is clearly worse than the other

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edit:
To clarify this is not my stance, nor was it supposed to be. But hey, racist nazi gently caress whatever.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 16, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

VH4Ever posted:

I'm not even as old as some others ITT but I have a decade on you thus have seen these people for 10 more years and yeah, it's not for nothing that I wish the Dems could do better than having Hoyer and Pelosi at the top of House leadership but, well, here we are. It's not for no reason that they get called out for being incrementalist centrists.

I only started getting involved in Politics in...I think it was 2012 so I have a lot to catch up on as I shake off my millennial apathetic malaise. I am super happy with the Bench we are building in Virginia and I think we could be sending a good crop of lefties to Congress in the coming years. I should probably start paying more attention to my neighbor up north though.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
edit: never mind

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SocketWrench posted:

I think the option here was vote for the one advocating killing the jews over the one advocating killing everyone.

lol

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Direct quote from Rubio's PlentyOfFish profile.

edit: no tax on this page yet?????

https://i.imgur.com/cTX8M3N.mp4

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 14, 2018

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I completely agree with you. She's reprehensible. And she's going to be neck and neck with Manchin for the worst dem in the Senate but I don't know how giving McSally that seat would've resulted in more of a net positive for the things I want to have happen.

Stop thinking short-term. It's a long-term net gain, because it shows the party that you're not a bunch of rubes who can be corraled into the voting booth for whatever turd they nominate. It shows them that they have to have SOMETHING to offer you and not just "well we're better than the other guy" which is a bar so low it's functionally on the ground.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good job, everyone! I'm sure Chuck Schumer will be incredibly effective. Looking forward to the next two years, let's get at 'em!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

He voted for the Iraq War.

gently caress why is he even in politics, everyone who voted for that catastrophe should have resigned from politics in 2004 when it was all revealed as a lie and then been sentenced to life in prison for war crimes and crimes against peace

As I sat in the lunch room at the military college I attended, someone asked "what do you think about this Iraq war talk?"

My no-poo poo response was, "I don't think anything is going to come of it. He's living up to the obligations of the desert storm treaty, we can't prove he's making these weapons, and Iraq is a secular stabilizing force in the region"

less than a month later, the doctored intelligence reports convinced the American people that invading Iraq was imperative to Middle East peace.

~gently caress~ anyone who voted to authorize the Iraq War.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

SocketWrench posted:

Fire back "why is Donald afraid of his original name Drumpf"

No. I like looking at the poop, but touching it usually makes me nauseous and angry.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Fans posted:

A candidate doesn’t have to be perfect to support them. Demanding you can only support someone if they’re perfect on all things is a really silly stance to take, nobody has perfect politics (except me of course)

I like that the implication of this post is that not supporting the organization placing children into concentration camps is perfection.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1062725210191880192

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theCalamity posted:

I like that the implication of this post is that not supporting the organization placing children into concentration camps is perfection.

I've never seen anyone who's been conditioned to lower their standards so much as liberals have except maybe people who still enjoy 3D Sonic games.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
hi folks stop posting like dogshit unless you want to eat nutraloaf; thanks

now if you'll excuse me I have to go pick up LK from his catjail stint

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VH4Ever posted:

You know, you've made that point a dozen times already, each time using the same single event as evidence and never adding anything new to each reply. You could at least lay out a better case to support your point instead of repeating the same terse post endlessly. You know, to add actual content to the loving thread.

the argument in question is more about what is and isn't tolerable in the dem party, which is subjective. i'm not sure what evidence you think I should post to back up that supporting ICE in the middle of them ripping away kids from their family is bad and shouldn't be tolerated in the dem party

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Edit: I'll stop contributing to the shitflinging.

Petr fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 14, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SocketWrench posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ_ViQxKYL4 ?

Also, wow, you are terrible.

Petr posted:

Short-term is all we have left because of accelerationists like you.

Accelerationists have literally never been a factor worth even bothering to blame.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Condiv posted:

the argument in question is more about what is and isn't tolerable in the dem party, which is subjective. i'm not sure what evidence you think I should post to back up that supporting ICE in the middle of them ripping away kids from their family is bad and shouldn't be tolerated in the dem party

I'm just imploring you to stop posting the same thing over and over. WE GET IT. ICE BAD. Good lord. Make a new point already or STFU. I'm not even disagreeing, just saying the repeat thing gets old fast.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
y'all this has been explained so many times and is so super not hard that clearly certain people are just choosing not to get it so they can keep impotently raging against ~the system~

you vote for the best person who is an option at each stage of the election - vote for a leftist in the Democratic primary, vote for the Democrat in the general unless the Republican is somehow better

for those of you saying Sinema should be kicked out of the democratic party or whatever the gently caress, what does that actually mean in terms of concrete action?

don't vote for her in the primary? sure, ok, who is arguing against that?
don't vote for her in the general? OK, make a case that McSally was better and I'll hear you out
something else? ok, explain what that is because the rest of us can't read your addled mind

if you're just saying we should be mad at her forever and not vote for anyone then sorry, some of us have better things to do

can we please stop endlessly rehashing how you should act in a winner-takes-all election to try to achieve your goals? it's so loving basic and so loving boring and we just finished the last election so if this is all you're going to have through 2020 just do the rest of us a favor and chuck your computer into a river

apologies, rant over, back to lurking

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VH4Ever posted:

I'm just imploring you to stop posting the same thing over and over. WE GET IT. ICE BAD. Good lord. Make a new point already or STFU. I'm not even disagreeing, just saying the repeat thing gets old fast.

this is the first time i posted it in this thread. the other thing I posted about was her supporting trump's wall and extra funding for "border security" and that was a few days ago

Eletriarnation posted:

y'all this has been explained so many times and is so super not hard that clearly certain people are just choosing not to get it so they can keep impotently raging against ~the system~

you vote for the best person who is an option at each stage of the election - vote for a leftist in the Democratic primary, vote for the Democrat in the general unless the Republican is somehow better

for those of you saying Sinema should be kicked out of the democratic party or whatever the gently caress, what does that actually mean in terms of concrete action?

don't vote for her in the primary? sure, ok, who is arguing against that?
don't vote for her in the general? OK, make a case that McSally was better and I'll hear you out
something else? ok, explain what that is because the rest of us can't read your addled mind

if you're just saying we should be mad at her forever and not vote for anyone then sorry, some of us have better things to do

can we please stop endlessly rehashing how you should act in a winner-takes-all election to try to achieve your goals? it's so loving basic and so loving boring and we just finished the last election so if this is all you're going to have through 2020 just do the rest of us a favor and chuck your computer into a river

apologies, rant over, back to lurking

i never actually posted anything like she should be kicked out of the democratic party. a big part of that is cause she can't, and we're stuck with her for 6 years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What does a Democrat have to do to be not worthy of defending? Shoot someone on fifth avenue in broad daylight?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SocketWrench posted:

The whole point of that excercise is to get you thinking of ways to work outside the two options so you don't have to make that choice

You are so limited in your imagination you'd vote for a nazi.

What the gently caress is wrong with liberals

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1062706401804455937

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1062721405031235584

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ah, we are back to nebulous "liberals succ-zone" again.

On topic, does the White House have any legal defense about Whitaker beyond "Nuh uh, it's totes legal!"?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Accelerationists have literally never been a factor worth even bothering to blame.

Actually a huge part of Trump’s infrequent voter appeal is to the “yeah he’ll nuke everything but it’s tine to shake things up” people as you can hear in any Denny’s across this great land.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

Abolishing ICE is a good thing that has like wet fart support nationally and polls at less than 17% in arizona. There are certain issues that are morally correct but are systemic problems with the constituency that you can't just boycott ever winning an election again over when you are picking your battles. "Abolish ICE" is extraordinarily unpopular with the voters that were to vote for her. That means voters bad, arizona bad, america bad, but it would have been a weird strategy to pick that to be the hill she dies on as opposed to something she could swing things on.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Ah, we are back to nebulous "liberals succ-zone" again.

On topic, does the White House have any legal defense about Whitaker beyond "Nuh uh, it's totes legal!"?

their defenses are

1) an acting attorney general w/o senate confirmation was appointed in 1866 and served for 6 days
2) some other positions have been appointed without senate confirmation too
3) a 1903 precedent says we can temporarily appoint someone without senate confirmation to an ambassadorship when that ambassador became deathly ill (but the problem is it was 1903, there were no other confirmed people in the building, and you had to spend weeks on a boat to get to thailand)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

it is one of the perennially fascinating quirks of liberal psychology. these people think of themselves as pragmatic, intelligent, technocratic operators. people who understand the Unwritten Rules, and by virtue of comprehension of those rules the rightfully born rulers of their people.

and these people really wonder why it is they lose to fascists, when they can come up with a sales pitch as perfectly targeted as "we'll genocide slightly fewer untermenschen than the other guy."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Abolishing ICE is a good thing that has like wet fart support nationally and polls at less than 17% in arizona. There are certain issues that are morally correct but are systemic problems with the constituency that you can't just boycott ever winning an election again over when you are picking your battles. "Abolish ICE" is extraordinarily unpopular with the voters that were to vote for her. That means voters bad, arizona bad, america bad, but it would have been a weird strategy to pick that to be the hill she dies on as opposed to something she could swing things on.

it wasn't a resolution to abolish ice. she voted for a resolution supporting ICE in the midst of them ripping kids away from their families. i expect a democrat to both care about immigrants enough and have half a backbone to reject such a resolution in the midst of the atrocities ICE was committing

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it is one of the perennially fascinating quirks of liberal psychology. these people think of themselves as pragmatic, intelligent, technocratic operators. people who understand the Unwritten Rules, and by virtue of comprehension of those rules the rightfully born rulers of their people.

and these people really wonder why it is they lose to fascists, when they can come up with a sales pitch as perfectly targeted as "we'll genocide slightly fewer untermenschen than the other guy."

your title is apt and this is smug holier-than-thou bullshit that will never convince anyone of anything they don't already believe; you should probably consider throwing your computer into a river

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Sinema won her election, and the vote that this conversation is centered around was completely inconsequential.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Exactly. Pose them very specific questions on his claims and make them prove them. Don't let them tap dance around it or deflect or change the subject.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

skylined! posted:

Sinema won her election, and the vote that this conversation is centered around was completely inconsequential.

i disagree that normalizing fascism is inconsequential. however, if we're gonna claim that it was inconsequential, then it's even less defensible that she voted in favor of the resolution instead following the example of two other democratic representatives from arizona, Raúl Grijalva and Ruben Gallego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm just going to throw this out there but maybe trying to carry water and apologize for someone who went out of their way to publicly support child concentration camps is a bad thing and you shouldn't ever do it. Because it makes you sound like an amoral sociopath who doesn't understand basic human empathy, and not some sort of pragmatist who can make the hard decisions.

What Sinema did is absolutely inexcusable and I don't give a single goddamn what utility her vote might bring- she supports child concentration camps. Or perhaps worse, she's willing to support child concentration camps when she thinks it furthers our own political Ambitions. In either case she is a monster; and in the fight against fascism an ally like her is significantly worse than an honest enemy.