Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys shouldn't look at China right now if you despise what is happening in the US....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yes, it is even worse what China's doing to ethnic Uyghurs, but unfortunately we don't have many pathways to affect those policies. At least nominally, we have some level of influence over immigration along the Southern U.S. border.

But you're right. [Thing] is worse. I guess this deeply racist administration isn't a problem anymore.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xealot posted:

But you're right. [Thing] is worse. I guess this deeply racist administration isn't a problem anymore.

Oh ffs, thanks for taking the wrong sentiment out of the statement.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In his defense, your post is vague enough to read as either whataboutism or as fuckthisawfulhellworld.

This was an excellent episode. Family separation and the overall handling of immigration is probably the most damning thing this administration's done to date, but as always happens in Trump Land the story got pushed off by the next horrible thing, and the next, and etc. I'm glad John took the time to pull some attention back onto the issue.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

oohhboy posted:

You guys shouldn't look at China right now if you despise what is happening in the US....

Never seen 'Australia' spelled with a 'C' before, despite apparently being girt by it.

But you actually should look at us :australia:. Trump's even on record saying that he admired our 'stop the boats' prisons for refugees - originally said to discourage people smugglers for the supposed safety of refugees, but the goalposts have steadily shifted and now we...we're cunts. I currently don't have the time to jfgi Manus and Nauru for you, but suffice to say when we're crying poo poo like, "They'll cost us millions by sitting on our welfare handouts!" but spending billions-with-a-b to keep them detained in shitholes where they are going insane and/or dying directly as a result of the conditions we are keeping them trapped in, we're being cunts. Especially since our two major parties are both on board with this, because apparently the racist vote needs to be won in a nation with compulsory voting because reasons.

Y'all wanna be cunts too?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh boy I think you know the answer to that

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, at this point there's really no arguing that a disparagingly huge portion of the U.S. just straight up wants anyone who isn't white to suffer and die.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hey, hey. Hey. They're perfectly fine with poor white people dying too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hey, hey. Hey. They're perfectly fine with poor white people dying too.

In fact they're quite ecstatic when we do!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

No one watched this week? You missed a fine peach

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I did not xenu that coming

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like that EPA guy might be changing his work number in the near future.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I did not xenu that coming

That Scientology long con was a work of genius.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I've had "you're being a real S.P. about this" in my head all day.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like that EPA guy might be changing his work number in the near future.

Anyone called it yet?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo I suspected that the whole "We've been subtly hyping Scientology all season and no one noticed!" gag might have been a bit where they just gathered all their slams against the religion and then re-recorded the audio over the volcano bit and claimed it was all part of a big scheme but no, I went back and checked ep 2 and he really did say "Xenu next week"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was for sure BS because what would be the point, but looks like they actually did it, the maniacs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hey, hey. Hey. They're perfectly fine with poor white people dying too*.

* Unless it's themselves in which case they're temporarily embarrassed millionaires and they should get social services because they worked hard for them unlike those lazy browns.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a sad part of conservatism where they simply can't imagine a better world than the shithole that they've dug themselves into. Conservatives without health insurance coverage just accept that it's a matter of course that their wallets should be hemorrhaging and that they "deserve" the situation they are in for not being ambitious enough to achieve power.

Instead of just...socialized healthcare as a public good provided by the state.

Alan_Shore posted:

No one watched this week? You missed a fine peach

There's been a few episodes nobody really seems to want to comment on. I guess some things are just kinda too depressing to comment about. So much of the next administration is going to be focused on rooting out all the corruption of the current one, and it'll have to be a DELICATE mass systemic purge of corruption because otherwise it'll end up setting a horrible precedent to allow subsequent administrations to do their own mass-replacement of federal staff. We need serious action, but there's always the danger of intensifying a vicious cycle.

And on the note of the milieu of federal administrations being infested by corruption in opposition to the public good and in favor of corporations, Planet Money did a piece on the Department of Education and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and how legislation intended to relieve the student debt crisis is being alternately abused and ignored to maintain debt servitude and assist banks in abusing students, often in opposition to state governments.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
On the subject of replies: Why does this thread seem to have a day or so delay? The show is on Sundays at 11/10c, right? Yet there is usually just one or sometimes two replies the night of broadcast, and then the usual TV IV-esque discussion starting 24-36 hours later.

Like, virtually every week. It’s so unlike any other TV IV thread I’ve seen.

So does no-one here watch it live? Are we all watching it on HBO Go or what have you the next day? Are we all truly the impoverished proletariat, unable to afford HBO, using :filez: or a friend’s HBO Go password to watch?

Myself, I never see it until Monday night. I haven’t had access to an HBO subscription since the last century.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I figured most people just watched the main stories on YouTube. I generally watch via my HBO sub on Amazon but this week's episode hasn't posted yet (at least as of last night)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like that John Oliver uses his own TV show for extremely stupid year-long extended jokes, as that is also what I would do if someone gave me a TV show.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo I suspected that the whole "We've been subtly hyping Scientology all season and no one noticed!" gag might have been a bit where they just gathered all their slams against the religion and then re-recorded the audio over the volcano bit and claimed it was all part of a big scheme but no, I went back and checked ep 2 and he really did say "Xenu next week"

I completely assumed this as well. I figured it was going to be a lesson on gaslighting "Lol we told you we said all those things and you believed us but we really didn't because human memory is bad and gaslighting is horribly easy to pull off"

I don't think i've ever watched it live. Most folks I know use HBO GO or just youtube the main story

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

But like... what was the point? It's not jokes about Scientology, it's not actual promotion of Scientology, they just slipped a handful of Scientology symbols into the backgrounds. Was the whole thing just so that they could ask the CoS for money this episode?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I had just assumed they liked making fun of scientology because, come on, who doesn't?

If I noticed the "xenu next week" thing though I've completely forgotten it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought it was just supposed to be analogous to the advertising thing with Instagram. I.e. "If people couldn't pick up at all on our consistent pattern of blatant goofy Scientology references, how can they possibly notice these far more disguised advertisements on social media?"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Since last week tonight goes down to the wire, it's generally a late upload to HBO Now. If I don't watch it live (and it has a variable start time so it's easy to miss), I may not get around to watching the episode on Sunday.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's like 5 in the morning here when the show airs so I only have the time to watch it on Monday evening earliest.

Raxivace posted:

I thought it was just supposed to be analogous to the advertising thing with Instagram. I.e. "If people couldn't pick up at all on our consistent pattern of blatant goofy Scientology references, how can they possibly notice these far more disguised advertisements on social media?"
Whatever the goal was, I don't think it really worked. First of all, the references they put in were way more obscure than the blatant native advertisement on twitter. Nobody could've noticed the building in the background or the tiny symbol in the fake agency seal. Red boxes of chicken on a PJ area really drat obvious.
And if the joke was that "haha now scientologists have to pay us" as John implied, well that's dumb because they actually agree to do a promotion first, and don't just randomly plug products and demand money afterwards.

It was funny that they sneaked in some scientology references throughout the whole season but then overall it didn't make much sense so I was quite meh about it.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 14, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah I noticed some of the Scientology references (some were quite overt, others like the "xenu next week" and the building in the background went unnoticed) but I thought they were just making fun of Scientology rather than building towards some crescendo involving social media influencers at the end of the season. :shrug:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

"We made jokes that were very in the style of every other joke we do on the show and you didn't notice ha ha we got you"

Honestly can we drop the lovely comedy and just make it a completely dry exploration of problems in America

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No. Oliver's affable buffoonery is one of the few bright spots in the otherwise miserable world of current events.

Is he a good comedian? Hardly, but drat if he isn't earnest, and that gives him a kind of Dickensian charm.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 14, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The comedy is basically necessary to make all the horrible stuff palatable. Nobody is going to want to tune in every week for John Oliver's Misery Hour.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, funny or not, the bits where he wastes tons of HBO's money on some idiot scheme are amazing.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 14, 2018

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Hakkesshu posted:

"We made jokes that were very in the style of every other joke we do on the show and you didn't notice ha ha we got you"

Honestly can we drop the lovely comedy and just make it a completely dry exploration of problems in America

There's about six hundred bazillion different outlets you can go to despair and bemoan the problems of American society and long for death and be depressing at all hours of the day without jokes so I'm gonna say nah

For some reason to me of all of the daily show alumni Oliver is by far the most enjoyable. I dunno why, but he simply kinda is.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe it would be better if it was actually funny then

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Don't like it don't watch it etc

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

My guess is that they put those references there so they could pull the reveal trigger if the church of scientology ever sued them over one of the jokes he mentioned, but they didn't care so they used it for the instagram bit.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Maybe it would be better if it was actually funny then

The “...cool” joke is pretty good.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can't imagine watching this show if you don't find it funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't imagine watching this show if you don't find it funny

Have you never lurked TVIV before? Like, that seems to be the whole point of the sub

"This show sucks! That's why I post about it 500 times a week! So that they know it sucks!"

• Locked thread