Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Your Taint posted:

Exactly. Pose them very specific questions on his claims and make them prove them. Don't let them tap dance around it or deflect or change the subject.

And yet he still manages to come out of it continuing to play the aggrieved party.

That's the most frustrating thing to have come to realize, maybe about modern debate/journalism/whatever, maybe just about how the grown-up world actually works: there is no such thing as "winning" an argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1062731138031120384

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

eke out posted:

their defenses are

1) an acting attorney general w/o senate confirmation was appointed in 1866 and served for 6 days

I think it was the Secretary of War in 1866; has to do with Andrew Johnson throwing a hissy fit and firing Edwin Stanton, not the Attorney General.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skylined! posted:

Sinema won her election, and the vote that this conversation is centered around was completely inconsequential.

If it was inconsequential then there's no excuse for siding with jailers of children

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fox is right. Those are :krad:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i would like their faces to replace mount rushmore

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I think it was the Secretary of War in 1866; has to do with Andrew Johnson throwing a hissy fit and firing Edwin Stanton, not the Attorney General.

It was AG

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1062723523645489153?s=19

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I feel like AOC would be really fun to drink with

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/davidfolkenflik/status/1062734223864463363?s=19

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Prester Jane posted:

I'm just going to throw this out there but maybe trying to carry water and apologize for someone who went out of their way to publicly support child concentration camps is a bad thing and you shouldn't ever do it. Because it makes you sound like an amoral sociopath who doesn't understand basic human empathy, and not some sort of pragmatist who can make the hard decisions.

What Sinema did is absolutely inexcusable and I don't give a single goddamn what utility her vote might bring- she supports child concentration camps. Or perhaps worse, she's willing to support child concentration camps when she thinks it furthers our own political Ambitions. In either case she is a monster; and in the fight against fascism an ally like her is significantly worse than an honest enemy.

I do not want to overgeneralize the other 'side' in this thread; but just in the last 1-2 weeks, wasn't a common argument against the leftist wing here that by criticizing or not voting for democrats we were effectively supporting child concentration camps? I could be misremembering, but I feel like that exact argument was made at some point.

But here we have an actual elected politician doing much more damage against the cause of fighting child concentration camps, so what gives? I mean, I was overjoyed when the race suddenly turned in Sinema's favor, and I'm still glad she beat McSally, but this reflects pretty badly on her and, by extension, her party.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

VitalSigns posted:

If it was inconsequential then there's no excuse for siding with jailers of children

Privileged folk who have only known comfort in their lives have a mighty hard time wrapping their head around the concept that there actually are moral absolutes which should never be crossed.

She supports child concentration camps, she went out of her way to use her political office to publicly declare her support for child concentration camps. She is a monster and there is nothing more to say about her or the entirety of her existence. Literally nothing else in her political life matters as much as the fact that she publicly supports child concentration camps.

She crossed the line. And if you defend her for crossing that line then you're a self-righteous privileged idiot at best, or a sociopath enabler of fascism at worse. This is actually a binary issue because we're dealing with child concentration camps, and either you're on the side of monsters or you're on the side of not monsters. There is absolutely no gray area whatsoever in this particular issue.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I guess he's smart enough to realize that this could be weaponized against them in future Democratic administrations if they decide it's legal now.

I hope Donny sees it and it sends him over the edge.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The thing I wish politicians would learn about trap votes is no one in actually gives a gently caress how you vote on anything, except your base. Everyone who isn't your base just cares what you're selling and how it's packaged. I think the Republicans figured that one out

Supreme Court votes are probably an exception to this rule but are so immensely important that senators should do the right thing anyway

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 14, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"Why have you forsaken me people in the TV?!"- Trump, right now

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
AOS is good since she'll support progressive policies but does she actually have the knowledge base necessary to actually craft good policy

All these venerated heroes of the left and right seem very disconnected from how actual energy grids etc work as far as infrastructure goes at least

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Prester Jane posted:

Privileged folk who have only known comfort in their lives have a mighty hard time wrapping their head around the concept that there actually are moral absolutes which should never be crossed.

She supports child concentration camps, she went out of her way to use her political office to publicly declare her support for child concentration camps. She is a monster and there is nothing more to say about her or the entirety of her existence. Literally nothing else in her political life matters as much as the fact that she publicly supports child concentration camps.

She crossed the line. And if you defend her for crossing that line then you're a self-righteous privileged idiot at best, or a sociopath enabler of fascism at worse. This is actually a binary issue because we're dealing with child concentration camps, and either you're on the side of monsters or you're on the side of not monsters. There is absolutely no gray area whatsoever in this particular issue.

Yeah, but only 16% of arizona doesn't support ICE, so we have a monster state and the election is for best monster.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, but only 16% of arizona doesn't support ICE, so we have a monster state and the election is for best monster.

You are a sociopath and the cause of fighting fascism would be well-served if you left our side entirely. You don't understand anything about humanity and you cannot grasp the concept that there are moral lines that should never be crossed.

She didn't need to use her office to go out of her way to declare her support for concentration camps. If she really was a principal pragmatist she could have chosen to stay silent, but no, she chose to support child concentration camps. And you're trying to justify that decision.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that marco rubio football metaphor is something else.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Has Donny tweeted anything today? I expected another meltdown of stupid like yesterday, but he seems to be maintaining radio silence.

Is he pouting?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Has Donny tweeted anything today? I expected another meltdown of stupid like yesterday, but he seems to be maintaining radio silence.

Is he pouting?

Staff is playing keep-away with his phone.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Groovelord Neato posted:

that marco rubio football metaphor is something else.

A solid misunderstanding of counting votes and football. He really shanked this three point kick.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Staff is playing keep-away with his phone.

The cocoon of bitterness blocks the signal

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

You are a sociopath and the cause of fighting fascism would be well-served if you left our side entirely. You don't understand anything about humanity and you cannot grasp the concept that there are moral lines that should never be crossed.

She didn't need to use her office to go out of her way to declare her support for concentration camps. If she really was a principal pragmatist she could have chosen to stay silent, but no, she chose to support child concentration camps. And you're trying to justify that decision.

ICE/etc are all bad. Literally(I think) everyone in this thread agrees with that. But, all politics are local. And AZ has a fair share of garbage people Sinema works for. Personally, it’s a deal breaker for me and I couldn’t stomach a vote for her because of it, but I don’t live in AZ.

If we start treating Sinema like Manchin at everything she does we might as well make a “Fake Democratic Senator” thread to contain the shitstorm about to happen.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Its worth noting Marco Rubio's mentor was Norm Braman, the former Philly Eagles owner, aka the man too cheap to pay Reggie White

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1062727288121384961

Dems bad.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Prester Jane posted:

Fairly rich of you to berate somebody for "not understanding anything" and failing to grasp concepts, Prester jane.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wilhelm posted:

AOS is good since she'll support progressive policies but does she actually have the knowledge base necessary to actually craft good policy

All these venerated heroes of the left and right seem very disconnected from how actual energy grids etc work as far as infrastructure goes at least

you're right, Agents of Shield is a good show

or did you mean AOC?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I can almost hear the teeth grinding at Fox from here.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Retro42 posted:

If we start treating Sinema like Manchin at everything she does we might as well make a “Fake Democratic Senator” thread to contain the shitstorm about to happen.

Friend I tell you this as a survivor. That thread will get made one day anyways, it's only a matter of time. The reason is because people like Manchin and Sinema will ultimately betray us and side with the fascists over the people opposing fascism. It's an infrinsic part of who they are as human beings.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Prester Jane posted:

one of the two dem reps from arizona that i mentioned did exactly that. they voted present instead of straight against. not ideal, but hosed up like what sinema did

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1062734020147118086

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

*blinks twice* Well I did not see that coming. I guess this must be the guy keeping Shep Smith on board.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

If people are going to put themselves forward as masters of political strategy, they should at least be able to recognize a cynical ploy of a nonbinding resolution like a decent high school model parliamentarian could write. The GOP wrote it specifically to get the reaction that people are giving and it's honestly embarrassing to watch.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wilhelm posted:

Almost no politicians "craft" their own policy without the help of hundreds of non-elected individuals. It's unreasonable to expect an individual to be knowledgeable enough on every topic they need to legislate on.

What you can observe is their broad positions and the people they hire and consult with.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I guess the more politically savvy senators don't think this is a fight worth having but Schumer is so obviously terrible at his job in every possible way...

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I guess the more politically savvy senators don't think this is a fight worth having but Schumer is so obviously terrible at his job in every possible way...

My guess is that most don't feel it's worth the fight/publicity while its for Minority Leader. If it was for Majority Leader I'd like to imagine things would play out differently.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Wilhelm posted:

I see this concern about AOC's "knowledge base" way more than I see it about any other freshman rep

It's the loving House, it's fine

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

1337JiveTurkey posted:

If people are going to put themselves forward as masters of political strategy, they should at least be able to recognize a cynical ploy of a nonbinding resolution like a decent high school model parliamentarian could write. The GOP wrote it specifically to get the reaction that people are giving and it's honestly embarrassing to watch.

this is quite simple. the gop are scum for writing and passing a resolution saying "we support ICE" in the middle of ICE ripping kids away from their parents. sinema is scum too for signing on to that resolution, regardless of her reasons for doing so

the other two dem reps in arizona managed to not vote in favor of this resolution. sinema doesn't have any excuse for her behavior

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The one political pathology I will never understand is this one.

"The politician I support is just lying to trick idiots into supporting her, the fools!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

1337JiveTurkey posted:

She's the one who chose to put her name to it, and we're just reacting to that decision. I'm judging a powerful person by how they chose to use their power.

Drawing a Line in the Sand because of how a powerful person uses their powered of support child concentration camps is not a case of a bunch of hapless rube's falling for a ploy. The resolution itself was a ploy sure, but the decision she made to put her name on it and to thusly support child concentration camps is a decision she made. She is being judged for her decisions.