Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I'm so glad Oxford Union is platforming him.

These dogs are listening:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

broke: abolish ice
woke: abolish the department of homeland security

Ague Proof posted:

I'm so glad Oxford Union is platforming him.

they had loving dave rubin.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Prester Jane posted:

You are a sociopath and the cause of fighting fascism would be well-served if you left our side entirely. You don't understand anything about humanity and you cannot grasp the concept that there are moral lines that should never be crossed.

She didn't need to use her office to go out of her way to declare her support for concentration camps. If she really was a principal pragmatist she could have chosen to stay silent, but no, she chose to support child concentration camps. And you're trying to justify that decision.

Yeah sure let's compaction cycle the opposition to the Fash to the point where everyone but what ever tiny core of ideological purists are left after your purging can fit into a single stadium, that sure seems effective.

Hint it wasn't ideological purity and good arguments that stopped them before it was a massive coalition of imperfect people who managed to agree that the Fascists had to go and then proceeded to fight a world loving war that devastated the majority of the industrial world and had two cities wiped off the map in nuclear fire.

Also ICE bad as they are, are not who's responsible for the Child Separation policy that responsibility and rests squarely at the feet of the Orange monster in the White House and his Republican enablers. Anything that results in less power for them is a loving win.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

every day i yell into the void 'stop posting like poo poo' and every day i look into this thread in horror like it's a bathroom at a jack-in-the-box after an e.coli outbreak

Careful PPJ, those who gaze into the shitposting abyss must beware lest the shitposting gaze back into them.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Mineaiki posted:

Guys maybe just most of the powerful people in a corrupt and morally vapid system are inevitably bad people, and we should cherish the few good people we have.

Yeah, most decent people refuse to kiss the requisite amount of rear end to be elected to Congress. This isn’t an “lol politicians” thing either; it really comes down to “lol our society.”

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

eke out posted:

PJ, although you were in the thread with me, I understand if you forgot us all extensively posting about them doing the nazi number - suffice to say, we did back when it was in the news.

Here I was responding to your multiple incorrect factual assertions, which you seem to be ignoring.

For what it's worth I also remember that discussion so: witnessed!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

broke: abolish ice
woke: abolish the department of homeland security

This is unironically the better position to take. DHS is a post-9/11 invention and there's no reason for it to exist: break it up, keep the necessary bits, end the horrifically corrupt and evil ones.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

VH4Ever posted:

You guys keep overcomplicating this and it strikes me that I might be older than the lot of you and that might be why this historical confusion/myopia annoys me so much. Want a good starting point that's concrete as hell? Start with undoing all the post-9/11 changes to how we do immigration and customs stuff. Go from there. You're welcome.

I know the history of ICE. But you're not going to get support to roll back to pre-9/11 and any bill to actually abolish ICE that could actually pass would look like what I stated. Not saying that's the ideal, but it's what would happen and if you tried to bring it up after that everyone would claim that ICE was totally abolished already didn't you hear?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If/When Mueller is fired he will argue that legislation is unnecessary because the need for it has already passed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skex posted:

Yeah sure let's compaction cycle the opposition to the Fash to the point where everyone but what ever tiny core of ideological purists are left after your purging can fit into a single stadium, that sure seems effective.

Hint it wasn't ideological purity and good arguments that stopped them before it was a massive coalition of imperfect people who managed to agree that the Fascists had to go and then proceeded to fight a world loving war that devastated the majority of the industrial world and had two cities wiped off the map in nuclear fire.

Weird those people didn't do it by voting for pro-SS resolutions in congress? Well I never!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Shifty Pony posted:

If/When Mueller is fired he will argue that legislation is unnecessary because the need for it has already passed.

He'll write an op-ed demanding to know why the Democrats didn't do anything to protect Mueller.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

Flawless positioning for a strongly-worded letter after Mueller is fired.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rigel posted:

Like I said, if you think the arbitrary acronym is poisoned and you want to go ICE (insert new name here), well OK.

ICE has been awful since well before Trump. Them deliberately deporting victims of human trafficking other government agencies had found and had scheduled to testify against their traffickers, ruining the cases and perpetuating the problem they're supposedly trying to stop, was a recurring thing back when Obama was in office.

This is not a matter of just changing their name. They're corrupt and racist throughout and have been for years. Trump just removed what few restraints they had and gave them the go-ahead to get really creative with their awfulness. Uproot the whole loving thing, and make sure none of the people working there ever get close to a legal, political, or law enforcement position again.

(Yes, I know that isn't going to happen easily, if at all, before more posts to that effect are made. My overall rhetorical point here is gently caress ICE and gently caress Rigel here too if the support for ICE's bullshit and excusing their ongoing crimes against humanity is going to continue.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 14, 2018

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I know the history of ICE. But you're not going to get support to roll back to pre-9/11 and any bill to actually abolish ICE that could actually pass would look like what I stated. Not saying that's the ideal, but it's what would happen and if you tried to bring it up after that everyone would claim that ICE was totally abolished already didn't you hear?

Yeah I don't think I'm backing an inch off of my idea, no matter how impossible it is to implement legislatively. I think fighting for DHS itself to basically be hosed back off to its pre-9/11 non-existence would be a good starting point too. I bristle anytime people act like those changes are above any sort of review and reconsideration after the fact and I hope you're not doing that. Wasn't that long ago that Bush was being dragged in the news for ICE's misdeeds, nowadays people think Trump created all this poo poo.

Roland Jones posted:

ICE has been awful since well before Trump. Them deliberately deporting victims of human trafficking other government agencies had found and had scheduled to testify against their traffickers, ruining the cases and perpetuating the problem they're supposedly trying to stop, was a recurring thing back when Obama was in office.

This is not a matter of just changing their name. They're corrupt and racist throughout and have been for years. Trump just removed what few restraints they had and gave them the go-ahead to get really creative with their awfulness. Uproot the whole loving thing, and make sure none of the people working there ever get close to a legal, political, or law enforcement position again.

Right. This is why I hated when Hillary-type liberals "expressed concern" but said Obama's awful possible powers with ICE and under DHS were fine because he's a good guy that won't use his powers for evil. Now here we are.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 14, 2018

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

eke out posted:

PJ, although you were in the thread with me, I understand if you forgot us all extensively posting about them doing the nazi number - suffice to say, we did back when it was in the news.

Here I was responding to your multiple incorrect factual assertions, which you seem to be ignoring.

Yeah I'm just going to flatly state that about 10 years down the line we're going to find out that a huge portion of those children that they lost track of were not placed with parents or foster families but wound up in the hands of human traffickers and/or shallow graves.

And it's ICE that is physically bringing the kids to the camps, that makes them responsible for the atrocity in my book. Yes it is HHS managing the camps but it is ICE that is putting the children in the camps.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 14, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

This is unironically the better position to take. DHS is a post-9/11 invention and there's no reason for it to exist: break it up, keep the necessary bits, end the horrifically corrupt and evil ones.

But that will mean I can't scoff at all the casuals taking their shoes off as I breeze through the Precheck line at the airport :qq:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1062745019252121600

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1062694155711856640

https://mobile.twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1062730376915939330

https://mobile.twitter.com/pbump/status/1062574322554945537

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

every day i yell into the void 'stop posting like poo poo' and every day i look into this thread in horror like it's a bathroom at a jack-in-the-box after an e.coli outbreak

Sorry. I contributed shittyness to the thread, and I should have backed off.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Prester Jane posted:

Yeah I'm just going to flatly state that about 10 years down the line we're going to find out that a huge portion of those children that they lost track of we're not placed with parents or coster families but wound up in the hands of human traffickers and/or shallow graves.

And it's ICE that is physically bringing the kids to the camps, that makes them responsible for the atrocity in my book. Yes it is HHS managing the camps but it is ICE that is putting the children in the camps.

Sorry but it's Customs and Border Protection bringing the kids to the camps.

ICE doesn't control the border, they're responsible for domestic immigration enforcement. The reason ICE is particularly bad is that it's camping outside of churches, and courthouses, and raiding businesses, and doing all kinds of terrible things to apprehend adults that're just trying to live here.

Here's a helpful explainer about which terrible agency is doing which terrible things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Insert Ingraham Nazi salute gif here

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Condiv posted:

the right answer is what her peers in arizona did. they voted present, and against the resolution. this isn't hard

I mean the right answer now that she did the thing.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

eke out posted:

Sorry but it's Customs and Border Protection bringing the kids to the camps.

ICE doesn't control the border, they're responsible for domestic immigration enforcement. The reason ICE is particularly bad is that it's camping outside of churches, and courthouses, and raiding businesses, and doing all kinds of terrible things to apprehend adults that're just trying to live here.

Here's a helpful explainer about which terrible agency is doing which terrible things.

Perhaps it is the entire US government that is bad.

Hard to believe, I know.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I can't think of a woman that might be more hated and reviled by millenials and Gen Zs as Laura Ingraham.

Attack AOC Laura; keep loving with them. :thumbsup:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Perhaps it is the entire US government that is bad.

Hard to believe, I know.

Yeah, it's seriously a multi-agency effort - particularly HHS, DHS, and DOJ - and all are being tainted by it and need tremendous reform.

"Abolish ICE" is catchy but the risk, as demonstrated here, is people unfamiliar with how these things work might think that that would be sufficient to, for instance, stop children from being torn from their mothers' breasts at the border. You need huge reforms to CBP, the Office of Refugee Resettlement (and probably other elements of HHS, but i'm much less familiar with that agency), and the Executive Office for Immigration Review (that manages all adjudications and employs all immigration judges) as well, at bare minimum.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Hazmat Officer: Well, here she is. They left her under an overpass for the night.
Gamble: You find anything?
Hazmat Officer: Yeah. We found a lot of stuff. From bodily fluid and hair samples, we determined that a bunch of old, homeless dudes had an orgy in the car.
Gamble: Oh, God.
Hazmat Officer: Yeah. You know what that's called when they do that in there? That's called a soup kitchen. It's pretty rough stuff. Not long after that, a mama raccoon came along and gave birth on the floor.
Gamble: What about fingerprints? You find any fingerprints?
Hazmat Officer: Nope, couldn't get a one.
Investigator: Found a cell phone.
Gamble: Yeah, that's mine.
Hoitz: Any signs of a struggle or spent shells?
Hazmat Officer: No. Believe me, everybody that was in on this orgy was more than willing. In fact, they even left you a note here. "Thanks for the F-shack. Love, Dirty Mike and the boys." Here's something we found. We found about a dozen unscratched lottery tickets. No fingerprints or nothing. Check that out. Yeah, it's a real shame, you know. I got myself a Prius. It's a hell of a machine.
Gamble: It's my first brand-new car. I've never owned a new car.
Hazmat Officer: Watch out. In the back, there's a baby mouse in a used condom. Really gross.

edit:

quote:

Dirty Mike: How you fellas doin'? We about to have us a little screw party in this red Prius over here if you wanna join us.

Allen Gamble: Hey, are you Dirty Mike and the Boys?

Dirty Mike: How you know who we are?

Allen Gamble: You left a note in that car!

Terry Hoitz: [shows his badge] Police, shithead.

Dirty Mike: He's a copper, we gotta go. C'mon! Hey, grease it, boys! They're cops!

[He and the Boys run off]

Allen Gamble: You turned my beautiful Prius into a nightmare!

Dirty Mike: We are gonna have sex in your car! It will happen again!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 14, 2018

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Rigel posted:

I wasn't intimately familiar with the issues debated in the AZ Senate race, but a quick google search seems to firmly suggest that you are wrong about Sinema wrt child concentration camps. She's not even in favor of holding families for very long prior to their immigration hearing. Saying we should not abolish ICE != "family separation is a good idea". Its not like ICE went rogue, Trump ordered it.

Her opponent was hard-core Trumpy about immigration and spent a lot of her time attacking Sinema as being weak.

I'm sure they apologized profusely and dropped the subject altogether when Sinema then backed ICE.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ice are the ones that grab a guy who's been here 40 years, has four american kids, runs a successful business, and deport him for jaywalking in 1986.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Rigel posted:

I wasn't intimately familiar with the issues debated in the AZ Senate race, but a quick google search seems to firmly suggest that you are wrong about Sinema wrt child concentration camps. She's not even in favor of holding families for very long prior to their immigration hearing. Saying we should not abolish ICE != "family separation is a good idea". Its not like ICE went rogue, Trump ordered it.

Her opponent was hard-core Trumpy about immigration and spent a lot of her time attacking Sinema as being weak.

Nuance? I never thought I'd see the day. No, clearly she's a nazi sociopath that wants to jail children and must be expelled from the democratic party.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There has been a notable uptick of thinkpieces about how badly McConnell has hosed up our government as of late. Makes you wonder how history will consider his legacy. It feels like there is a very good chance he’ll be (arguably deservedly) vilified more than Trump. I mean, both are heinous shitbags, but McConnell’s competency puts him ahead of Trump in terms of destructiveness to the institution, in my book.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

I miss Harry Reid :(

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fart City posted:

There has been a notable uptick of thinkpieces about how badly McConnell has hosed up our government as of late. Makes you wonder how history will consider his legacy. It feels like there is a very good chance he’ll be (arguably deservedly) vilified more than Trump. I mean, both are heinous shitbags, but McConnell’s competency puts him ahead of Trump in terms of destructiveness to the institution, in my book.

God willing McConnell is seen as a modern day John C. Calhoun who was a traitor to the Republic.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

ice are the ones that grab a guy who's been here 40 years, has four american kids, runs a successful business, and deport him for jaywalking in 1986.

yeah exactly, ICE are the ones that say that because you got caught with a gram of weed when you were 16, a "crime of moral turpitude," you're subject to mandatory detention for the entire time it takes before the hearing about whether you should be deported, and are ineligible to get out with a bond.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rigel posted:

This post is very misleading. Even Trump himself and his most vile enablers pay lip service to not wanting to kidnap kids and keep them in dog cages while supporting policies that result with kids in cages. Not calling for the abolishment of ICE is a tacit endorsement of their brown shirt tactics.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Fart City posted:

Trump as a symptom of McConnellism no-doubt.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Skex posted:

Also ICE bad as they are, are not who's responsible for the Child Separation policy that responsibility and rests squarely at the feet of the Orange monster in the White House and his Republican enablers. Anything that results in less power for them is a loving win.

This is a poo poo tier argument because once poo poo really hit the fan after we declared war on Germany I think all the Nazi supporters in the US had to recant or at least shut up.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Abolish law enforcement in general.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

yronic heroism posted:

Actually a huge part of Trump’s infrequent voter appeal is to the “yeah he’ll nuke everything but it’s tine to shake things up” people as you can hear in any Denny’s across this great land.

This often translates in my head to “yes, but I’m BORED” in terms of voting. Kinda like how occasionally people start rooting for the collapse of the stock market - yes, change would come, and millions would suffer, and none of the suffering will be on the person rooting for it.

Don’t root for societal collapse y’all. A lot of very good people live in that society.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is also a good point re: the OLC memo - it relies on arguments that are NOT going to work well when conservative judges/justices review it. they could change positions in their theoretical brief, I guess, but this is a core document they'll need to rely on.

nobody "in a 5-4 opinion..." me because you're super wrong if you think Clarence Thomas is going to abandon his insane originalism

https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1062736392449675265

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

How long before Fox News has to register with the FEC as AOCs PAC?