Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:shrug:

https://twitter.com/VeraMBergen/status/1062764542890008577

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Groovelord Neato posted:

ice are the ones that grab a guy who's been here 40 years, has four american kids, runs a successful business, and deport him for jaywalking in 1986.

With the major change recently being that they will grab that guy as he's walking his kids out of school instead of waiting for him to be arrested for driving while brown.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

every day i yell into the void 'stop posting like poo poo' and every day i look into this thread in horror like it's a bathroom at a jack-in-the-box after an e.coli outbreak

Perhaps you should start being a touch more specific. Like the other day someone kept posting how mad he was that people weren't talking about a news item, but he wasn't talking about it either. I pointed that out and got a probation that just said "this is bad" but the other person didn't get anything and I'm still not sure how what I did was bad and what he did wasn't. Many probations are just an emote or a one-liner that doesn't say anything useful. I pm'ed you about this but you didn't answer and QCS is a joke forum. I will probably be probated for this.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

eke out posted:

nobody "in a 5-4 opinion..." me
In a 5-4 decision the Supreme Court holds that Whitaker's appointment was illegal. "It's finally my time to shine," says Justice Thomas as he presents his majority opinion based on obscure 18th century laws and the mindset and intentions of a long-dead Congress.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Yeah our local news covered how they closed lanes and both SD border crossings to basically build fortifications and string concertina wire. There are tens of thousands that live down there and cross to over here every day and it's been that way forever. Now we're turning that entry and the others into a loving Israel/Gaza strip border crossing. It's loving disgusting. And yeah, we need to majorly sweep all this poo poo away post-Trump.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

That's...not good for morale, and I wonder if the military might start to turn against Trump. Just from the brief amount of information there, it seems like a lot of seeds of doubt are being sown. Is this the kind of thing that could push Mattis to leave? Seeing chaos in the one thing he cares amount? It just does not come across like he is in control.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

Speaking to troops deployed to Texas, Mattis is asked by a soldier whether they will have to take down all that concertina wire they've been putting up along the border since they arrived.

The livestream catches him saying "We'll let you know"

Ah that takes me back.

God I don't miss the Army.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

You know, this just hit me again, how good fascistic a fortified border is

When I was a kid back in the ancient days the iron curtain was bad because they had to wall the border to keep everyone in, that was how you knew

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

What are the specifics of this legislation anyway? It seems unlikely that Trump would actually fire Mueller at this point. The preferred obstruction method is probably to severely but quietly hamstring the scope and/or funding of the investigation, which I assume would be completely allowable even if this passed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

VitalSigns posted:

Ah that takes me back.

God I don't miss the Army.

Plus you get the bonus of having to pick all the corpses of animals trying to get to the river out of the wire

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

The intersection of weird twitter and white nationalism.

https://twitter.com/mathewbrown/status/1062767127512408064?s=21

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hastings posted:

That's...not good for morale, and I wonder if the military might start to turn against Trump. Just from the brief amount of information there, it seems like a lot of seeds of doubt are being sown. Is this the kind of thing that could push Mattis to leave? Seeing chaos in the one thing he cares amount? It just does not come across like he is in control.

the pentagon/ic types already don't like him because his policy is basically just "do endless war crimes and stupid wasteful poo poo and nothing else". it doesn't help that trump basicaly does everything on the fly and mostly out of spite. yeah, the military types are conservative but they want actual plans that make use of their talents and poo poo. not sitting on the border because of a midterm scare and because pissbrain believes his own poo poo. mattis is probably only staying because he thinks he can keep poo poo from getting worse.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
4th string hellhole timeline: Mattis crosses the Potomac.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

I think enlisted men probably have the best bullshit busywork detectors out of any group of working people in the country.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the pentagon/ic types already don't like him because his policy is basically just "do endless war crimes and stupid wasteful poo poo and nothing else". mattis is probably only staying because he thinks he can keep poo poo from getting worse.

I mean, if the Woodward book is anything to go by, he already has stopped things from getting worse. Trump told them to assassinate Assad...

Not to mention the number of times Trump has asked why we can't "just nuke them"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CuddleCryptid posted:

Plus you get the bonus of having to pick all the corpses of animals trying to get to the river out of the wire

this is incidentally the argument that took me from 'sure, trade the stupid wall for some actual good things' to 'wall bad', because i was a dumb and the environmental impact had not crossed my mind

so yeah, i'm mad about these stupid 'obstacles' for the same reason too

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Abolish law enforcement in general.

Ok so then forigve my ignorance, who would you call if, say, you knew someone was hurting a child if there was no law enforcement?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

4322554945537[/url]

Armstrong is in the wrong state. Also the wrong part of congress and has an eye patch.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hastings posted:

LOL if you think leadership telling you nothing and having no direction is some sort of a new thing for the military.

I mean, the Afghanistan war is still going....

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

this is also a good point re: the OLC memo - it relies on arguments that are NOT going to work well when conservative judges/justices review it. they could change positions in their theoretical brief, I guess, but this is a core document they'll need to rely on.

nobody "in a 5-4 opinion..." me because you're super wrong if you think Clarence Thomas is going to abandon his insane originalism

https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1062736392449675265

How about "Appointment ruled illegal in a (4+2+1)-2 plurality decision with separate opinions from the liberal wing, Roberts and Alito, and Thomas with Kavanaugh writing a dissent joined by Gorsuch"?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your Taint posted:

Ok so then forigve my ignorance, who would you call if, say, you knew someone was hurting a child if there was no law enforcement?

I'd call my buddies Sonic and Knuckles, that's what I call my fists

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

eke out posted:

Yeah, it's seriously a multi-agency effort - particularly HHS, DHS, and DOJ - and all are being tainted by it and need tremendous reform.

"Abolish ICE" is catchy but the risk, as demonstrated here, is people unfamiliar with how these things work might think that that would be sufficient to, for instance, stop children from being torn from their mothers' breasts at the border. You need huge reforms to CBP, the Office of Refugee Resettlement (and probably other elements of HHS, but i'm much less familiar with that agency), and the Executive Office for Immigration Review (that manages all adjudications and employs all immigration judges) as well, at bare minimum.

Supported by a president we all hate, protected by a Senate we can't change. I have to admit, your suggestion that we indict the entire US government as complicit and your tacit call for revolution is the stronger message. I'm in!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

friendbot2000 posted:

I mean, if the Woodward book is anything to go by, he already has stopped things from getting worse. Trump told them to assassinate Assad...

Not to mention the number of times Trump has asked why we can't "just nuke them"

i mean while id be cool with going full red wedding on Assad and friends. that poo poo doesn't work in real life and sets a bad precedent and kicks off all kinda of bad consequences. but yeah, trump thinks everything is like a movie where he can just solve poo poo with lots of DAKKA and nothing else.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tibalt posted:

In a 5-4 decision the Supreme Court holds that Whitaker's appointment was illegal. "It's finally my time to shine," says Justice Thomas as he presents his majority opinion based on obscure 18th century laws and the mindset and intentions of a long-dead Congress.

i'm still bummed he hasn't argued that Chy Lung v Freeman was wrongly decided and immigration law is a state matter, not a federal one

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean while id be cool with going full red wedding on Assad and friends. that poo poo doesn't work in real life and sets a bad precedent and kicks off all kinda of bad consequences. but yeah, trump thinks everything is like a movie where he can just solve poo poo with lots of DAKKA and nothing else.

Yup, you are right. Odds are killing Assad would just cause even more strife and bloodshed because then you get a civil war within a civil war. Assassination NEVER leads to stability. It creates a power vacuum and nature abhors a vacuum.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the pentagon/ic types already don't like him because his policy is basically just "do endless war crimes and stupid wasteful poo poo and nothing else". it doesn't help that trump basicaly does everything on the fly and mostly out of spite. yeah, the military types are conservative but they want actual plans that make use of their talents and poo poo. not sitting on the border because of a midterm scare and because pissbrain believes his own poo poo. mattis is probably only staying because he thinks he can keep poo poo from getting worse.

Can’t wait for inexperienced general officers with chests full of medals memorializing courageous service at the border.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1062722069463425025

And the blue wall of silence descends. Contradicting all witnesses on the scene, the black man that was murdered by a cop inexplicably ignored the twenty-five verbal warnings he definitely received and also he wasn't dressed as a security guard and there definitely wasn't anyone on the scene screaming that he's the security guard.

Also they definitely provided immediate medical care and I'm sure whenever some lovely cellphone video surfaces we won't see the victim laying on the ground bleeding to death for ten minutes while the cops yell at the shot and dying man to put his hands up.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Your Taint posted:

The human rights committee of your local Worker's Cadre obviously.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When I was a kid back in the ancient days the iron curtain was bad because they had to wall the border to keep everyone in, that was how you knew

Right on the other side of where checkpoint charlie is in berlin is a mcdonalds and I really wonder if mcdonalds or berlin planned that or if that just happened naturally at some point.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1062415293669167110

Apparently he used two different Trump signs on two different rides.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1062758188498354177

Congressional Debbie Caucus.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

LOL if you think leadership telling you nothing and having no direction is some sort of a new thing for the military.

I mean, the Afghanistan war is still going....

With prior engagements, there was at least the guise that they were doing their patriotic duty. Leadership would at least attempt to use flowery language to convey an idea that this was worthwhile and legit. In this case though, Mattis himself is basically saying, "we don't even know the loving point".

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

And cue the "FREEZE PEACH :qq:" arguments.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Right on the other side of where checkpoint charlie is in berlin is a mcdonalds and I really wonder if mcdonalds or berlin planned that or if that just happened naturally at some point.

*thomas friedman shed single tear of joy*

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is an excellent analysis of the Ocasio action yesterday and how it ended up being so misunderstood by many

https://twitter.com/johnastoehr/status/1062761886796668934

I went and c/p the whole thing so it's easier to read.

quote:

Something happened at the Capitol Tuesday to reaffirm my long-held view that liberals should stop believing what conservatives say liberals believe. One of the biggest obstacles in the history of American liberalism has been this tendency among liberals to accept as true things liberalism’s enemies say about it and them. Newly elected members of the US Congress arrived for orientation. @Ocasio2018 spoke at a sit-in featuring about 200 people outside Nancy Pelosi’s office. The “protest,” as it was called, was organized by an advocacy group aiming to raise awareness about climate change and to advocate for more green-energy jobs. This was manna to Ocasio-Cortez, who made history as the youngest woman ever elected to Congress after unseating US Rep. Joe Crowley, the former No. 3 in the House Democratic leadership. The 29-year-old Latina has been stumping for liberal candidates across the country, making liberal arguments in unapologetically liberal ways. That she spoke with activists demanding action from leading liberals should have come as no surprise to anyone any time anywhere.

But then came this bit of disinformation from the spokeswoman of Paul Ryan to Capitol Hill reporters, which set the tone for the entire day: "Huh, well this is unconventional," AshLee Strong wrote in an email. "The incoming speaker is getting protested by one of her freshman." From this point onward, Ocasio-Cortez wasn’t doing what a young dynamic liberal legislator does. No, no, no! She was “protesting” Pelosi!. AshLee Strong paved the way for every Capitol Hill reporter to tell a story they had been wanting to tell even though the narrative” was based on a falsehood: that this unruly mob can’t be controlled. This “narrative” drew the ire of liberals who would have otherwise cheered Ocasio-Cortez. It rekindled the battle between the youngs and the olds, between “centrists” and “leftists,” and between “insurgents” and “the establishment.” Worse, it inspired some liberals to trot out the old (often vaguely sexist) nomenclature: Ocasio-Cortez was grandstanding. She was showboating. She was this, that, and whatever. Too many liberals accepted as true what liberalism’s enemies said about it and them.

Thing is, when you actually listen to the women, a different picture comes to light. Not only was Ocasio-Cortez doing what young dynamic liberal legislators are supposed to do—bring new energy and new ideas to the table— she was charting her own course while forging alliances with established powers. She created a bridge between an energized under-30 base & the party’s leadership. She’ll likely be an invaluable ally as Pelosi plots a way forward. Few can say they’ve accomplished more on their first day.

Bloomberg reported the incident was a challenge to “party unity.” The Times said earlier these renegades may be unwilling to “toe the party line.” Fox’s Laura Ingraham thrilled at the sight of Nancy Pelosi trying to wrangle newly elected “insurgents.”

None of it was true.

As is the case when women rise to power, people are eager to project onto them what they want to see, and are not listening to what they are actually saying. Reporters can be trusted to frame politics in conservative terms. That’s what happened. Right-wing media can be trusted to cement the view that the Democrats are “a mob” and risk “overplaying their hand.” That’s what happened. But liberals ought to know better. Here is what Ocasio-Cortez said to activists:

Should Leader Pelosi become the next Speaker of the House, we need to tell her that we’ve got her back in showing and pursuing the most progressive energy agenda that this country has ever seen.
Later, to the news media:
AOC: One of the things I admire so much about Leader Pelosi is that she comes from a space of activism and organizing. And so I think that she really appreciates civic engagement. What I’m here to do is to support the folks who are here. …
AOC: This is about uplifting the voice and the message of the fact that we need a Green New Deal and we need to get to 100 percent renewables because our lives depend on it. …
***We are here to back [Pelosi] up.***

To which, Pelosi said: We are inspired by the energy and activism of the many young activists and advocates leading the way on the climate crisis …
Pelosi: We welcome the presence of these activists, and we strongly urge the Capitol Police to allow them to continue to organize and participate in our democracy.

Um, yeah, no. This was not a protest, as Republican AshLee Strong said. It was activism. This was not disunity. It was unity. This isn’t the Tea Party. This isn’t a conservative party. It’s a liberal and democratic party. Reporters should cover it as such if only for the purpose of accurately representing reality. But liberals weren’t listening either. They should have been. Instead, they accepted as true what liberalism’s enemies said about it and them.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Your Taint posted:

Abolishing our current form of law enforcement/policing does not inherently mean that there would be no other less lovely system that would enforce the laws that would replace it.

Of course that's assuming they meant it in the general leftist "abolish the police" sense.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

Weird those people didn't do it by voting for pro-SS resolutions in congress? Well I never!

Holy poo poo, great job sweeping Japanese internment under the rug

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 14, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ague Proof posted:

All the Republican women are named Becky

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/1062772266516336642

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

And cue the "FREEZE PEACH :qq:" arguments.

LOL Disney has eminent domain in FL and their own oubliette why wouldnt you listen to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Saagonsa posted:

Abolishing our current form of law enforcement/policing does not inherently mean that there would be no other less lovely system that would enforce the laws that would replace it.

Of course that's assuming they meant it in the general leftist "abolish the police" sense.
Scratch a socialist and a fascist bleeds! Full anarchy now!