Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

MILLENNIALS COLLECT EXPERIENCES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
So, basically it is monopoly with the money renamed to 'experiences' and the streets renamed to activities?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Last Chance posted:

wow, "weeks behind"? did you make this game?

Nah just remember it popping up in a few different threads plus a dedicated thread in GBS

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I was a few years ahead of participation trophies, but I love how we keep getting insulted about something that was inflicted on us by our elders.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So Tide, in the wake of "please don't eat Tide Pods, they're not candy!" have released "Please don't drink Tide Detergent, it's not wine!"

https://news.tide.com/press-release/pg-thinks-inside-box-new-tide-eco-box

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beachcomber posted:

I was a few years ahead of participation trophies, but I love how we keep getting insulted about something that was inflicted on us by our elders.

See also: unemployment, depression, college debt.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I hope millennials kill the Monopoly industry next

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder how much money Hasbro still makes from board games vs their major toy franchises.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Despite all the protestations to the contrary, there are actually few fundamental ideological differences between boomers and their children, compared to boomers and their own parents where there was a huge generational gap and cultural revolution across the Western world. Boomers were just born at exactly the right time to completely cash in and gently caress over future generations

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Eating rear end is the Old Kent Road of the Millennium

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Despite all the protestations to the contrary, there are actually few fundamental ideological differences between boomers and their children, compared to boomers and their own parents where there was a huge generational gap and cultural revolution across the Western world. Boomers were just born at exactly the right time to completely cash in and gently caress over future generations

Boomers and Millennials are a lot alike in regards to civil unrest, overseas war, and growing up in a drastically changing economy. Maybe that's why they hate each other so much.

Boomers would've totally eaten rear end if they'd known it was an option and are probably bitter now that they can't, what with their increased risk of colon cancer and that new root canal.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

To continue Monopoly chat, only in a boring way.

They used to, and still do if the Millennial one is any indication, a bunch of Monopolies tying in with varying franchises etc.

When I was a kid we had an Australian themed one where all the streets were famous streets from all the capital cities, (Swanston St. Kings Cross, Rundle Mall, etc.), and instead of the dog, we had a Koala. A Koala that my little brother promptly swallowed, and was never to be seen again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BrigadierSensible posted:

When I was a kid we had an Australian themed one where all the streets were famous streets from all the capital cities, (Swanston St. Kings Cross, Rundle Mall, etc.), and instead of the dog, we had a Koala. A Koala that my little brother promptly swallowed, and was never to be seen again.

Maybe it's just that everything seems bigger when you're a small child, but I remember that koala being a pretty decent size. Like, not an easy thing to swallow. :stare:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Boomers and Millennials are a lot alike in regards to civil unrest, overseas war, and growing up in a drastically changing economy. Maybe that's why they hate each other so much.

That's exactly why they hate each other. If we could have our avocado toast and eat it too, we'd be just as selfish.

Though about that, I was half-jokingly talking about the generational conflict to my parents and they told me they also struggled when they were in their twenties (during the early eighties). They bought their house for peanuts, sure, but in the aftermath of the 70's oil crises there was also double-digit inflation and high unemployment, at least in Belgium. I think it's just human nature to think that the world is falling down around you and everything is constantly getting worse.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tiggum posted:

Maybe it's just that everything seems bigger when you're a small child, but I remember that koala being a pretty decent size. Like, not an easy thing to swallow. :stare:

You have never met my little brother, friend.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

You have never met my little brother, friend.

Neither have a lot of other people, since he was never to be seen again :v:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

That's exactly why they hate each other. If we could have our avocado toast and eat it too, we'd be just as selfish.

Though about that, I was half-jokingly talking about the generational conflict to my parents and they told me they also struggled when they were in their twenties (during the early eighties). They bought their house for peanuts, sure, but in the aftermath of the 70's oil crises there was also double-digit inflation and high unemployment, at least in Belgium. I think it's just human nature to think that the world is falling down around you and everything is constantly getting worse.

Boomers get a lot of grief from later generations that they're lives were so much easier, but it's not like a Boomer in their 20's was somehow living the dream unless the dream is sex without consequences then yes the 1970's were awesome.

They had cheaper housing and cheaper college, but a worse war and globalization killing all the manufacturing jobs their parents promised would be available. It's probably a wash when it comes to which generation got the better end of the deal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Boomers get a lot of grief from later generations that they're lives were so much easier, but it's not like a Boomer in their 20's was somehow living the dream unless the dream is sex without consequences then yes the 1970's were awesome.

They had cheaper housing and cheaper college, but a worse war and globalization killing all the manufacturing jobs their parents promised would be available. It's probably a wash when it comes to which generation got the better end of the deal.

The 1960's and 1970's weren't perfect but they really did genuinely have easier lives than the current generations. The 1970's is when things really peaked for workers in America. The late 70's was when wages started stagnating and things really went to absolute poo poo starting in the 80's when, you know, millenials started being born. Wages keep stagnating and those same boomers are now saying "well, back in MY day..." when millenials bitch about having to do stupid things like take six digits of debt then work for free as an intern for multiple years if they want to have any prayer of getting a non-lovely job.

In the days of boomers you could drop out of school at 15, get a job, then just work at that company for the rest of your life, climb the ladder, and have a pretty decent life. Obviously there were restrictions if you were black or a woman that would put limits on how far you could get or which opportunities there were but even so how much debt do you have to have to get a career and a house right now? Worker protection and union membership were also huge then. The turning point was really the Reagan administration. Boomers were also benefiting from post-war prosperity; most of the world was still rebuilding after WW2 but America was pretty much untouched. That's a thing to really consider; Europe had just burned itself down twice in recent memory but America mostly just sent dudes and stuff. We got bombed at Pearl Harbor and...well that was it, really. There just wasn't as much competition in the market.

It isn't quite as simple as "boomers are all dicks" but boomers are thinking about the world they knew which is very different from the world millenials know. The other side of it is that people are just living longer now, people are having fewer children, and retirement benefits the way we did them 40 years ago, well, the math doesn't really work. Now that the rest of the world is pretty rebuilt and developing countries are developing there's way more competition. Meanwhile borders are melting and the old systems in place are resisting any change at all. One of the things they're not letting change is the wage stagnation. A really serious issue is that wages have been stagnating for longer than millenials have been alive. The days of "just grab like whatever job, who cares, and work your way up" are gone. Unless you have certain high demand skills it can take a completely absurd amount of time to find a new job and employers know that. In the 70's you could literally walk off your job at lunch and have a new one by dinner.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The 1960's and 1970's weren't perfect but they really did genuinely have easier lives than the current generations. The 1970's is when things really peaked for workers in America. The late 70's was when wages started stagnating and things really went to absolute poo poo starting in the 80's when, you know, millenials started being born. Wages keep stagnating and those same boomers are now saying "well, back in MY day..." when millenials bitch about having to do stupid things like take six digits of debt then work for free as an intern for multiple years if they want to have any prayer of getting a non-lovely job.

In the days of boomers you could drop out of school at 15, get a job, then just work at that company for the rest of your life, climb the ladder, and have a pretty decent life. Obviously there were restrictions if you were black or a woman that would put limits on how far you could get or which opportunities there were but even so how much debt do you have to have to get a career and a house right now? Worker protection and union membership were also huge then. The turning point was really the Reagan administration. Boomers were also benefiting from post-war prosperity; most of the world was still rebuilding after WW2 but America was pretty much untouched. That's a thing to really consider; Europe had just burned itself down twice in recent memory but America mostly just sent dudes and stuff. We got bombed at Pearl Harbor and...well that was it, really. There just wasn't as much competition in the market.

It isn't quite as simple as "boomers are all dicks" but boomers are thinking about the world they knew which is very different from the world millenials know. The other side of it is that people are just living longer now, people are having fewer children, and retirement benefits the way we did them 40 years ago, well, the math doesn't really work. Now that the rest of the world is pretty rebuilt and developing countries are developing there's way more competition. Meanwhile borders are melting and the old systems in place are resisting any change at all. One of the things they're not letting change is the wage stagnation. A really serious issue is that wages have been stagnating for longer than millenials have been alive. The days of "just grab like whatever job, who cares, and work your way up" are gone. Unless you have certain high demand skills it can take a completely absurd amount of time to find a new job and employers know that. In the 70's you could literally walk off your job at lunch and have a new one by dinner.

The unfair advantage the US had over the rest of the world post-WW2 really did create a feeling of entitlement. Factory jobs were never meant to pay THAT much money or support 5 people on their own. But that kind of job security wasn't necessarily a great thing. Everyone (and I mean everyone) I know who worked a job for 30+ years to retire with a pension HATED their jobs*. Like drinking a 6 pack of beer on the way home from the Lockheed plant because they just can't cope anymore. Since they don't have pensions, young people have an advantage as long as they actually budget for their own retirement.

Most other differences wash out. The ones that don't are structural problems like college debt, medical costs, and housing costs. And those things are usually where Boomers can't or won't try and see things from their kid's or grandkid's point of view.

* cue examples of people who worked for 30 years at the greatest job ever and then had a fantastic retirement. It's an anecdote, doesn't apply to anyone except me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The 1970's is when things really peaked for workers in America.
Early 70s, maybe. By the middle of the decade things were going to poo poo, when about half the boomer generation was just becoming adults.

The “started in the mailroom” and “got my 30 year watch and pension” stuff was more (not all, but more) for their parents than boomers.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Early 70s, maybe. By the middle of the decade things were going to poo poo, when about half the boomer generation was just becoming adults.

The “started in the mailroom” and “got my 30 year watch and pension” stuff was more (not all, but more) for their parents than boomers.

Did you even bother to read literally the next sentence, or were you just smashing that POST button too fast?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The late 70's was when wages started stagnating and things really went to absolute poo poo starting in the 80's

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah I did, and I personally think “late 70s” is too late for the poo poo-spiral starting point, but that’s probably tainted somewhat by living in the rust belt. If you change that to mid 70s the Golden Age of Easy Lifelong Employment discounts a lot the boomer generation, was my point.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Factory jobs were never meant to pay THAT much money or support 5 people on their own. But that kind of job security wasn't necessarily a great thing.

:chloe:

Krispy Wafer posted:

Since they don't have pensions, young people have an advantage as long as they actually budget for their own retirement.

lmao wtf this is just loving wrong

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Yeah I budget for my retirement with the pool of money I have left over after I pay rent every month...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

:chloe:

lmao wtf this is just loving wrong

What's wrong about it? Unskilled factory work paid great wages (in certain industries) for about two generations. Most factory jobs kind of sucked, but all we remember are those auto assembly guys making $60 a hour OT on a line.

And pensions tied people to the same company forever. If you're in your 40's and you've been at GM or Boeing for your entire working career, then changing jobs means forgoing a massive chunk of your retirement. There was absolutely no way you were going to make up that difference since a disproportionate amount of your pension counted on you reaching 25 or 30 years and averaging your last 3 years pay.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

What's wrong about it? Unskilled factory work paid great wages (in certain industries) for about two generations. Most factory jobs kind of sucked, but all we remember are those auto assembly guys making $60 a hour OT on a line.

And pensions tied people to the same company forever. If you're in your 40's and you've been at GM or Boeing for your entire working career, then changing jobs means forgoing a massive chunk of your retirement. There was absolutely no way you were going to make up that difference since a disproportionate amount of your pension counted on you reaching 25 or 30 years and averaging your last 3 years pay.

I would much rather have a guaranteed pension instead of having to risk a percentage of my earnings investing into a stock market that can come crashing down at any moment, to call the 401k system objectively superior is making a whole shitload of bad assumptions.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

What's wrong about it?

Well for one thing I and many others literally don't make enough money to put any aside for retirement.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

I would much rather have a guaranteed pension instead of having to risk a percentage of my earnings investing into a stock market that can come crashing down at any moment, to call the 401k system objectively superior is making a whole shitload of bad assumptions.

And the pension ties you to that company because no employer is going to allow portability or give you credit earned when you leave one defined benefit based retirement plan and join another*. The cradle to grave idea of employment isn't necessarily good and it doesn't always benefit the employee. 401k plans are objectively better as long as you open them while reasonably young and make consistent contributions. And yes, there is risk - but as municipal pensioners about to find out, local governments can rewrite those retirement benefits when the tax dollars run out.

The ideal situation is a good state-run pension system, but instead we have Social Security.

*public sector employees I think can get credit for years earned in another jurisdiction.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

And the pension ties you to that company because no employer is going to allow portability or give you credit earned when you leave one defined benefit based retirement plan and join another*. The cradle to grave idea of employment isn't necessarily good and it doesn't always benefit the employee. 401k plans are objectively better as long as you open them while reasonably young and make consistent contributions. And yes, there is risk - but as municipal pensioners about to find out, local governments can rewrite those retirement benefits when the tax dollars run out.

The ideal situation is a good state-run pension system, but instead we have Social Security.

*public sector employees I think can get credit for years earned in another jurisdiction.

The problem that you are missing is that making consistent contributions is literally impossible for a huge number of people living in the US today.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
My retirement plan is a shotgun.

To hunt for food to supplement my government benefits, of course.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ShadeofBlue posted:

The problem that you are missing is that making consistent contributions is literally impossible for a huge number of people living in the US today.

There's no problem to really miss. Pensions are dead and aren't coming back. They allow you to retire too early and people live so much longer that no company's going to want to extend their financial liability 30 to 40 years after their employee leaves. Social Security is your defined benefit option and IRA's are your defined contribution option and you have control over only one of those.

Could be worse. Russia is trying to raise retirement age to 65. Average life expectancy for men is 64.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Screaming Idiot posted:

My retirement plan is a shotgun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My retirement plan is this abandoned drainage pipe I've had my eye on. Looks cozy and there looks like a place somebody keeps illegally dumping scrap metal nearby. I'll be set.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Len posted:

It can't date itself any worse than my Cleveland Monopoly from the early 90s

Were there only two building spaces?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hunt and eat the rich.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Is nobody going to point out that an average worker in 1975 would have had a total compensation package worth more than twice what the average worker has today in equivalent dollars? Like, the former losing their pension still wouldn't fall to the level of the latter, or even near it.

The hand-wringing boomers in this thread are getting obnoxious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mitt Romney somehow has over 100 million in his IRA. There are articles about how he could possibly do it and no one can figure it out since for most of his life you could only put in a couple grand a year into it. The system is rigged.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Plastik posted:

Is nobody going to point out that an average worker in 1975 would have had a total compensation package worth more than twice what the average worker has today in equivalent dollars? Like, the former losing their pension still wouldn't fall to the level of the latter, or even near it.

The hand-wringing boomers in this thread are getting obnoxious.

why won't you realize just how impossible the Boomers' lives were? Their pensions weren't as easily transferrable as they'd like them to have been!!!!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Plastik posted:

Is nobody going to point out that an average worker in 1975 would have had a total compensation package worth more than twice what the average worker has today in equivalent dollars?

Cite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/business/economy/amazon-workers-sears-bankruptcy-filing.html