Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

The Children's Crusade is way too OP if it succeeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Torrannor posted:

^^edit: All pagans get them.

edit2: What's up with your pooping hamster avatar?

Eldership succession really does have it's downsides, but the upside is just huge. No frantic rushing to get an empire title in order hold everything together after elective gavelkind splits your titles. No worry that you will lose your top title to someone not of your dynasty. It's honestly great, and it's actually a tough decision whether to give that honorary title to a powerful vassal or an unhappy elder.

What’s up with your pooping FACE

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My second character was a woman, with a matrilineal marriage. She was also did the legend warrior lodge event and created a bloodline. Great news, except it passes matrilineally and she only had sons.

Cool bloodline for the decade I still had it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, these new soundtrack songs are corny as poo poo but absolutely perfect for this expansion. One of them literally uses the phrase "painting the map" and it's glorious. :parrot:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

One problem with the new crusade system. They do not loving end, ever. And if you joined, you cannot do anything that is forbidden while at war.

That was how the old crusade system worked too, although I suppose giving Christianity more of a fighting chance might extend things. Maybe they should've made some kind of system for giving up on the crusade and returning home in shame, like many real crusaders did.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Man. I wish it were possible to see the succession laws of a place before you start a new game up.

I made a random file hoping to play with the new imperial succession, and with the byzantine option clicked, but when I loaded up the empire, it was Primogeniture.

I think you can mouseover things to see the succession type (I think the coat of arms? I was sure it's written somewhere).

More specifically, the Byzantine succession type is tied to the new, unique Byzantine government type, so you should just need to click the government map view to find it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Torrannor posted:

It's honestly great, and it's actually a tough decision whether to give that honorary title to a powerful vassal or an unhappy elder.

Kicking elders out of your court gets rid of their vote too. I just booted all the unhappy elders and things started going a lot more smoothly

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So meritocracy update, it appears to actually be able to use your reformed religeon's heir designation ability, you have to:

-Go Feudal
-Reach legalism 3
-Switch to late administration

:suicide: Wish it was more explicit that this was something a good ~100 years away for me, or I'd have picked something different.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Tercio posted:

The Children's Crusade is way too OP if it succeeds.

Oh? How so?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Thinking about my West African Ghana game. I've got two holy sites, but the other three are in Marrakech and East Africa respectively. I'm looking North, to the trade route through Marrakech, but the berbers are strong. I'll probably need to gather cash and develop my tribal holdings into castles, which leaves me with reformation. What is everybody rolling in West Africa now? The "default" was set to Warmongering, totem guardians, ancestor veneration, and hierocratic. Ancestor veneration duplicates the eldership succession, what do saints even do? Warmongering is tempting, but I've got miaphysite and monophysites to the West, Christians and Muslims to the north, isn't this the situation where Cosmopolitan makes the most sense? My end goal is to make a merchant republic of Tangiers or something and a duchy theocracy in Marrakech.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Dog, horse, cat, elephant, Irish

well it is a game with animals...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Palemdromes posted:

Do all pagans get warrior lodges, or just Africans?

Everyone but the Aztecs.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Dog, horse, cat, elephant, Irish

A country with the first four would probably have less poo poo on the streets.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have to say the tribal army change is really irritating when it comes to uprisings. One of my neighbors in a 769 Africa start is now just sitting on an upkeep free 3k doomstack of event spawned troops and is just gobbling up the small guys.

Pushing a button for 2500 dudes to deal with that problem is missed

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

DISCO KING posted:

Thinking about my West African Ghana game. I've got two holy sites, but the other three are in Marrakech and East Africa respectively. I'm looking North, to the trade route through Marrakech, but the berbers are strong. I'll probably need to gather cash and develop my tribal holdings into castles, which leaves me with reformation. What is everybody rolling in West Africa now? The "default" was set to Warmongering, totem guardians, ancestor veneration, and hierocratic. Ancestor veneration duplicates the eldership succession, what do saints even do? Warmongering is tempting, but I've got miaphysite and monophysites to the West, Christians and Muslims to the north, isn't this the situation where Cosmopolitan makes the most sense? My end goal is to make a merchant republic of Tangiers or something and a duchy theocracy in Marrakech.

I like Meritocracy/Stability for doctrines, if you can reach Primo/Ultimo really fast. Meritocracy lets you pick whichever of your kids is the best, which works great with concubines, and Stability lets you remove the short reign penalty and gives you a targeted decision to boost someone's stats permanently (including your own if you wish) 1/decade for a pretty small amount of piety. I am 100% glad with getting rid of Elder Council (although it's better than Gavelkind), and I'd rather convert heathens than tax them so totem guardians and ancestor worship isn't great. Temporal feels like an obvious leadership choice to me, because Being Pope is more fun than Hoping Pope Isn't An Idiot.
Nature's a bit less cut and dry, but I'm liking Unyielding. No penalty for attacking your co-religionists, so you can unify Africa without problem, and it gives a bonus while defending against the inevitable Jihad or Crusade Clowncar. Not that you really need it with the crazy modifier stacking you can get going as an african warrior.

As a merchant republic specifically, these are less useful benefits, since you're already Super Meritocratic. I'd suggest Seafaring or Astrology for that slot, depending on if you want to go Hermetic or not

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think you can mouseover things to see the succession type (I think the coat of arms? I was sure it's written somewhere).

That doesn't work before the game starts, for some weird reason.

quote:

More specifically, the Byzantine succession type is tied to the new, unique Byzantine government type, so you should just need to click the government map view to find it.

You might be able to check for government type, though, yeah.

Also:

I love this silly-rear end game.

dude just became pope a month ago, so he was probably excommunicated before hand, but unfortunately this is an ironman game so I can't go back and check a) why and b) how the gently caress the Cardinals voted for him anyway

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I feel like you want either Unyielding or Proselytizing so that the AI will try to convert people of other religious groups. Unyielding will only try to convert if that ruler has a high Zeal, while Proselytizing will always try to convert other religions.

Once you start to expand out of your initial Pagan zone into the Christian/Muslim/Indian regions, you want your AI buddies to try and convert people so your new religion spreads more. Those are the only two Natures where they will try to convert non-pagans.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Having a regent giving you Ambitious is great and all, but now he's my Rival (and thus Malcontent) and is blocking my attempts to go and take clay that is rightfully mine. I'm surrounded by assholes and incompetents.

Joffreydidnothingwrong

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Bloodly posted:

Oh? How so?

If it succeeds then it creates a Crusader State with a massive number of event troops. 80k in my case. It made them the strongest state in the world and they immediately went about conquering their neighbors, and even some far flung places like Abyssinia.

Here's another case. Well over 100k event troops. It's silly but I mean who cares ultimately. But make something like this one of the "wacky" supernatural events.

Edit: Beatification also seems too easy to achieve. Having a long reign basically guarantees it just based on the amount of piety you can generate through the passage of time.

Tercio fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 14, 2018

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Fat Samurai posted:

Having a regent giving you Ambitious is great and all, but now he's my Rival (and thus Malcontent) and is blocking my attempts to go and take clay that is rightfully mine. I'm surrounded by assholes and incompetents.

Joffreydidnothingwrong

If he's your rival, that means you can take War focus and duel him, right? Although you do have to be of age for that.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does warmongering give you access to CB's you wouldn't have otherwise, or does it just make your vassals more eager to butcher your borders?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fat Samurai posted:

Joffreydidnothingwrong

And now he's trying to kill me and I cannot imprison him because he's my Regent. Any ideas?

And his three co-assholes all have 50+ relations with me. Well, time to survive 6 months with 123% plot strength against me or it's game over. Everyone is going to get bribes, it seems.

EDIT EDIT: Well, I can ask the backers to stand down at least.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 14, 2018

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tercio posted:

If it succeeds then it creates a Crusader State with a massive number of event troops. 80k in my case. It made them the strongest state in the world and they immediately went about conquering their neighbors, and even some far flung places like Abyssinia.

Here's another case. Well over 100k event troops. It's silly but I mean who cares ultimately. But make something like this one of the "wacky" supernatural events.

Edit: Beatification also seems too easy to achieve. Having a long reign basically guarantees it just based on the amount of piety you can generate through the passage of time.

I think that IS one of the wacky supernatural events. Since the description of the crusade succeeding involves literal angels coming down and kicking rear end.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
How exactly do I turn everyone into animals? I can't figure it out.

Oh nvm I'm dumb and forgot to scroll down

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Vengarr posted:

I think that IS one of the wacky supernatural events. Since the description of the crusade succeeding involves literal angels coming down and kicking rear end.

Supernatural events were off.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's an option for supernatural events and another one for absurd events.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Tercio posted:

Supernatural events were off.

Children's Crusade is its own game rule I believe

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
A kind of cool thing that seems to have gone unnoticed is that Brittany has been broken up into three duchies and two of them are outside the Francias in the Charlie start, which means it's now possible to form the kingdom of Brittany without having to tangle with, potentially, the future head of the HRE.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

Kaza42 posted:

Each of the crusades can be toggled.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kaza42 posted:

It is. And it also has a very low chance to succeed, I suspect.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think the line about the angels is to be taken as hyperbole and zealous retelling of the actual events, multiple times removed from the source as the news finally reaches Europe.

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

Managed to get the Bloodthirsty Gods bloodline. Took around 70 sacrifices to get there but the warrior lodge's increased chance to grab captives when raiding made it surprisingly easy. That extra prestige seems to be around 10 for uninteresting people. Haven't managed to gut any more Dukes yet but they might give more. :unsmigghh:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I never thought I would want more custom portraits for animals but here we are

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think the line about the angels is to be taken as hyperbole and zealous retelling of the actual events, multiple times removed from the source as the news finally reaches Europe.

Counterpoint: A bunch of snot-nosed kids seizing Jerusalem from the Islamic world? It’s actually more believable for angels to come down to earth.

Plus it would explain the 80k troops materializing out of thin air. Deus did some Vulting for Christmas.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Kaza42 posted:

Yes, this is all true. This isn't a discussion about game rules, it's a discussion about those rules when on being stupid or broken.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I always thought the Children's Crusade was a low key way for medieval families to send off the extra hungry mouths to feed without getting a sin checkmark for the afterlife

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Vengarr posted:

Counterpoint: A bunch of snot-nosed kids seizing Jerusalem from the Islamic world? It’s actually more believable for angels to come down to earth.

Plus it would explain the 80k troops materializing out of thin air. Deus did some Vulting for Christmas.

If the 80k troops are a new "Kid Holding A Plank With Some Nails In It" unit type even weaker than light infantry then i'd say this is working as intended

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Azhais posted:

Kicking elders out of your court gets rid of their vote too. I just booted all the unhappy elders and things started going a lot more smoothly

Can you so this without banishing or getting a bunch of tyranny penalties?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like there's too many game rules to deal with sometimes, like they need subcategories to keep them in line rather than scrolling through the whole list every time. And I wish I could keep sunset invasion off by default.

How long after a major DLC does it normally take for them to release balance patches to tweak all the outliers that they didn't forsee?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like there's too many game rules to deal with sometimes, like they need subcategories to keep them in line rather than scrolling through the whole list every time. And I wish I could keep sunset invasion off by default.

How long after a major DLC does it normally take for them to release balance patches to tweak all the outliers that they didn't forsee?

On the subject of this, can anybody explain the difference between the exclave independence options of limited, limited (naval), significant, harsh and total?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Can you still get demon child events if you have Satan worshippers off? I've only had it happen when I was playing with devil worshippers, but I usually turn em off so I don't end up with a huge court of insane possessed maniacs.