Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sarahcwestwood/status/1062786711053389824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

:discourse:

i've heard good things about barbera lee, so i'm currently rooting for her

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yes, Donny, because life is an episode of Scooby-Doo. You're sundowning again.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
So.... who's a good candidate to be speaker if Pelosi fails?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Mueller is such a tease.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Z. Autobahn posted:

barbera lee

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

You need someone with acceptably left-wing politics and the ability to wrangle all ~240 Democrats in the House. I'm not sure anyone in the House currently fits that bill.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1062789050669637634

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

This is a serious problem for the progressive agenda. It's something worth continually highlighting because in a space like this forum, where upscale suburban politics can easily become hegemonic without careful self-examination.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I think I saw this tactic expertly deployed in an episode of Tiny Toon Adventures.

"What can a banana cost? Ten dollars?"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Condiv posted:

barbera lee

barbara lee would be the choice if the reason Pelosi was in danger wasn't because of people who think she's too far left

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Makes sense. East Coast Trust Fund Brat Donald Trump put on a red hat and magically became he so-called Blue Collar Billionaire to chuds across America.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

In a stunning 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court rules that this counts as a constitutional executive order.

USPOL Winter: Cereal voters.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I think I saw this tactic expertly deployed in an episode of Tiny Toon Adventures.

It's one theory for how Edgar Allan Poe died.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You need someone with acceptably left-wing politics and the ability to wrangle all ~240 Democrats in the House. I'm not sure anyone in the House currently fits that bill.

The only pragmatic choice for Democratic representatives who are serious about governance is to caucus with the Republicans to find a bipartisan speakrt.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I think they will find someone without too much trouble. Some of the opposition to Pelosi is coming from a purely political "I have no problem with Pelosi, but she is now poison and we need someone, anyone new." I think anyone who is generally progressive and a credible leader will immediately get the support they need if Pelosi concedes defeat and bows out.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

eke out posted:

barbara lee would be the choice if the reason Pelosi was in danger wasn't because of people who think she's too far left

he didn't ask who's most likely. he asked who was a good replacement

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You guys are all wrong, it's not tiny toons or scooby doo, it's Hitman

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Just for the record, I think dumping Pelosi is a mistake, because a political party has never had any problem demonizing a speaker (given enough time) since the 80's. The Dems had no problem tanking Ryan and Gingrich among moderate voters, the GOP had no problem making the middle skeptical of Pelosi, and if we pick someone else then the GOP hate machine will just go right back to work on their multi-year effort to get the country to hate the new speaker. If you set that aside and just say Pelosi is a bad leader well OK then, but I don't agree with that either.

edit: The Senate majority leader is a bit different, perhaps because that position has had a lot more turnover? Or maybe the public (wrong) perception that the Senate is less partisan and extreme? McConnell is the first majority leader I remember that has started to become a political issue himself.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

General Mills stock just soared with the news that cereal box tops are now valid voter ID

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Abolishing ICE is a good thing that has like wet fart support nationally and polls at less than 17% in arizona. There are certain issues that are morally correct but are systemic problems with the constituency that you can't just boycott ever winning an election again over when you are picking your battles. "Abolish ICE" is extraordinarily unpopular with the voters that were to vote for her. That means voters bad, arizona bad, america bad, but it would have been a weird strategy to pick that to be the hill she dies on as opposed to something she could swing things on.

But that only changes through people actually having and expressing different opinions. Don't you see how "but a good/correct opinion is unpopular" isn't in any way a refutation or counter to someone holding that opinion? "But did you consider ______ was elected?" is not a counterargument against someone saying "I think ______ is bad and/or did a bad thing." I mean, imagine someone using this sort of argument about a topic like slavery or something. If someone got mad at a politician for supporting slavery, you'd think that's okay even if their constituency also largely supported slavery, right?

I really don't get what's so confusing about this! Why not just agree with people if you think they're correct when they say a politician was bad?

yronic heroism posted:

“The Democrats need to stop supporting candidates who support these camps through non-binding resolutions that say nice things about ICE and go back to supporting more leftist candidates who would never approve of kids in camps like *shuffles papers* Franklin Roosevelt.”

...what?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rigel posted:

Just for the record, I think dumping Pelosi is a mistake, because a political party has never had any problem demonizing a speaker (given enough time) since the 80's. The Dems had no problem tanking Ryan and Gingrich among moderate voters, the GOP had no problem making the middle skeptical of Pelosi, and if we pick someone else then the GOP hate machine will just go right back to work on their multi-year effort to get the country to hate the new speaker. If you set that aside and just say Pelosi is a bad leader well OK then, but I don't agree with that either.

She's done fine but I'd just like someone in the party leadership who was under sixty.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

As a Florida resident, I know for sure that many alleged "voters" are actually three kids standing on eachother's shoulders in a trenchcoat.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She's done fine but I'd just like someone in the party leadership who was under sixty.

That's probably the best argument I've heard. Everyone slows down when they get old.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Condiv posted:

barbera lee

Lee is in line for Crowley's # 2 spot as caucus leader and LOL if you think that she's against Pelosi.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

eke out posted:

As a Florida resident, I know for sure that many alleged "voters" are actually three kids standing on eachother's shoulders in a trenchcoat.

Would explain how DeSantis and Scott racked up leads on Election Night.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

God bless this hell world where I forgot this guy claimed you needed to show ID to buy cereal.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Nothing but speculation on my part but I wonder if Pelosi hedging on impeachment or investigations on TV is what did her in.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The_Donald is melting down that Jim Jordan will not be the minority leader

quote:

vote out 159 dims in disguise
-
I feel like its all coming undone. Boy do I hope I’m very wrong
-
Ok yea. I’m a believer in the deep state conspiracies now. There’s no way this was supposed to happen.
-
The clone wars have started smfh
-
I need the name of each and every one of the 159 fucktards which voted against Jim.
-
The fight is probably going to have to get physical. A good caning in Congress is long overdue.
-
God dammit. I really, really am starting to actually hate these deep state freaks. They aren't going to change. I hope Trump starts aggressively going after them for their little quid-pro-quo deals. I'm sick of this poo poo.
-
Did you guys think the GOPe would just shrivel up and disappear?
spez: Honestly, Trump should not spend any more time in DC. No one is going to pass any of his agenda, and what they do pass will be a disgusting uniparty bill. The GOP senate will still approve his judicial nominees, that's all that matters. He needs to take his conservative populism on the road (which is what he like doing anyway) and just solidy a new American worker conservative party. Work his rear end off to bring latinos and Blacks into the fold. He's not going to win the yuppies and GOPe suburbs, this election showed that. He needs to subvert the GOPe on the ground and redefine what being a conservative is. Let the GOPe wither away in their DC cocktail parties.
-
We need to stick together and try to obstruct what we can.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Rigel posted:

Being leader of an organ with ~15% approval ratings probably rubs off, too.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Little known fact, Mike Pence got the VP spot by pulling a kazoo out of a box of Cracker Jack.

(Which he did not eat, describing it as “too intense for his palette.”)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Your Taint posted:

Nothing but speculation on my part but I wonder if Pelosi hedging on impeachment or investigations on TV is what did her in.

Its because a lot of blue dogs promised they wouldn't support hewr for Speaker becuase she is somehow a republican boogeywoman and is portrayed as an uber-radical progressive

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skex posted:

Lee is in line for Crowley's # 2 spot as caucus leader and LOL if you think that she's against Pelosi.

She wouldn't be against Pelosi in this hypothetical. I don't think the "not Pelosi" crowd is trying to get someone else to beat her on the floor. They are probably wanting to prove she can't win with a few failed floor votes, then when Pelosi steps aside, its a free for all as every ambitious Dem leader starts talking to everyone else and locking in commitments.

Thats probably happening now. "Look, you and I both support Pelosi, but if she steps aside for any reason, I hope I can count on your vote."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Your Taint posted:

it's only the right-wing dems that are mad about her, so nah. the progressives that actually want to do this (to varying degrees) so far have supported her 100%

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Also Jim Jordan was a part of House Freedom caucus that MAGA worshipped

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

"A good caning" :laffo:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ague Proof posted:

In a stunning 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court rules that this counts as a constitutional executive order.

The corn flakes rooster wins the 2020 presidential election on the basis that the Kellogg family owns the most boxes of cereal.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh, spez means edit. And here I thought SA was insular and weird. Two years and they have this whole language unique to their broken brains.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rigel posted:

edit: The Senate majority leader is a bit different, perhaps because that position has had a lot more turnover? Or maybe the public (wrong) perception that the Senate is less partisan and extreme? McConnell is the first majority leader I remember that has started to become a political issue himself.
Eh, Harry Reid took some flak in his time, but I'm not disagreeing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
And in case anyone was wondering, the UK is continuing to do dumb things with Brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Rigel posted:

I think given the profound anti-incumbency mood of the nation, having a changing of the guard and some fresh leadership is good for the party in general. Of course they'll find a way to demonize someone new, but that still takes time to get running, and I think the party needs new faces in the spotlight.