Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Guyana is not part of Metropolitan France though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hang my head in shame.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Phlegmish posted:

The 1860's is around the time that impressionism became a big thing, paving the way for increasingly less representational forms of art - what we know as modern art collectively. By the 60's and 70's pop art and other forms of postmodern art were becoming a big thing.

It's still a profoundly stupid graph and of course the evolution of art is related to cultural changes that the author presumably disapproves of as well, but it makes 'sense' outside of the specific Americentric references that you guys are bringing up.

Lmao at giving PragerU any benefit of the doubt

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's not a benefit of the doubt situation and it's still LOL, but what Phlegmish posted is definitely what it is. It's a very common "conservative" argument about art, there are versions of it about music and writing etc.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The major turning point where artistic standards quit existing was dadaism around wwi anyway. And that's a good thing. As much as there are people that hate modern art you really cant effectively set rules. Soon as you do somebody, somewhere will find a way to color outside the lines.

Yes a toilet can be art.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A graph can be Art

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jay Rust posted:

A graph can be Art

Yes but can art be a graph?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yes but can art be a graph?

Yeah, it's the colour of the painting, mapped to the x and y axes by distance from the lower left corner horizontally and vertically.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Somfin posted:

Yeah, it's the colour of the painting, mapped to the x and y axes by distance from the lower left corner horizontally and vertically.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:golfclap:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's sneaky.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I like how the correct way to read it is the most annoying. That's hosed up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This might be the most angry a graph has made me in this thread

It's so terrible

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

loving parsing this poo poo, I feel like I need bookmarks for my brain

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

This might be the most angry a graph has made me in this thread

It's so terrible

I know that graph should elicit some kind of negative response but my brain just shuts off when it looks at it. My neurons just refuse to parse it. My brain just looks at it and goes "that sure is a graph alright. I refuse to attempt to understand what it means or what point it's trying to make."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

It's cool that they're slightly different scales too

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I saw that when I had just woken up and spent a while thinking it was about people employed called Fred.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's a rough fix

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

OK so just to make sure I'm parsing this right...

* Men have gone from ~85% to ~65%
* Women have gone from ~32% to ~55%

Is that right?

And the graph makes it look like women have overtaken men. This is some devious poo poo.

These FRED people seem to love doing this. This one is actually not quite as bad, because it makes a point of how these two statistics are opposite, and it would look terrible if you used the same scale on both lines:

Though I can't help thinking that would have looked better as two separate graphs, shown above each other, or side by side.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 13:05 on Nov 10, 2018

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

IIRC FRED is just a database that lets people auto generate graphs of economic data. If you ask for two things plotted on the same graph, it will always do the dual axis thing. No deviousness, just a failure to check if both things are graphed in the same units.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ah, yeah, you can just mash any old data together, but you gotta find the fun correlations unlike my utter lack of any

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 16:18 on Nov 10, 2018

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Cross-posting:

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

I think I posted that one a while ago. I still want to know what the purple areas represent. Nega-birds?

Also those species counts are off by a huge factor. There are at maybe 20 species of perching birds that I see on a daily basis here in SoCal.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The colors are dumb, but that's not the funny part.

That's not South America.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Somehow I overlooked that despite having seen the image before

Also, there's a light green that's not represented on the legend (along with the purple and light blue) and the last two legend ranges overlap...

How did this get published in any context other than "what's wrong with this map/what not to do"? :psyduck:

SerialKilldeer has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Nov 11, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think it’s from that bad maps twitter account.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Holy crap, I completely missed that. I think because the lines still match up to what you'd expect from South America - the thin area between the west coast and the Andes, the southeast being barren, the north being lush. Wow. This could be some kind of attention test.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

Holy crap, I completely missed that. I think because the lines still match up to what you'd expect from South America - the thin area between the west coast and the Andes, the southeast being barren, the north being lush. Wow. This could be some kind of attention test.

Attention test would explain why it’s so bad on so many levels. It’s deliberately designed for you to focus on the confusing nature of the chart so much that you don’t even notice that the map itself is just wrong.

It’s kind of like the running gag John Oliver does on Last Week Tonight when he talks about a country in South America and deliberately puts up an image of a different country, later pointing out how nobody noticed.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
From https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10496132

Average grade for boys (blue/purple) and girls (green) born in 1997 when they graduated from school in Finland:

Same gender legend, not gonna bother translating anything else:

Article got a few more charts in same style

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
ayy lmao

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man this is fantastic on so many levels. Sure, "capitalists" are shown as the IQ big-brains, but *kisses fingers* fascists being on the same spectrum as communists, that's a spicy capitalist graph.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Well, it's not far off for libertarians. Everything else, though....

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The way I read it the x axis is IQ and the y axis is number of people who subscribe to that view.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

The way I read it the x axis is IQ and the y axis is number of people who subscribe to that view.

Ditto.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One should also bear in mind that IQ is measured in a bell curve already. So they literally just replaced the numbers with political positions. It's like the laziest political cartoon in the world.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Count Roland posted:

But lol that the whole right half is identical politics, if you understand what complete morons mean by "anarchist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anarchism is just decentralized/voluntaristic communism you dolts, it's not xtreme libertarianism