Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

This Sunday's episode, Moe gets wise to a prank phone call, so Bart, Milhouse and Nelson one-up the prank by go to Herman's Military Surplus store to get on the Dark Web (which had a Clippy joke) and order Moe a mail-order bride. It actually goes well for Moe and they get along for awhile and then some hijinks ensue and it turns out in the end that she's an American scamming him. The boys somehow have picked up enough Russian to read the Russian marriage certificate she wants Moe to sign that would have given her all his assets.

I thought one of the running jokes for Moe is that he's just a broke rear end sad sack, so she'd own his bar, jar of pickled eggs and all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Quote-Unquote posted:

The weirdest bit of editing in the Simpsons in the UK is when Barney helps Homer escape work so they can go to the Duff brewery.

Barney yells "hey, is that Princess Di?" and pulls his car forward, causing Homer to plummet to the ground, then says "nah, it's just a pile of rags".

All of Barney's dialogue got cut after Princess Diana became a guardian angel for Our Maddie or whatever happened, so it looks like he just pulls his car forward for no reason.

Hahahha dang. Hope the Big Book of British smiles survived the censor’s scissors.

When I first saw Itchy and Scratchy Land I thought it was darker than it really was, as when Marge orders the baby guts and Lisa says “that’s veal,” I heard “that’s real.”

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought one of the running jokes for Moe is that he's just a broke rear end sad sack, so she'd own his bar, jar of pickled eggs and all?

Yeah this comes up. At the end he's still so pathetic that he tells her the joke's on her, she'd just be getting all his debts, but maybe she could marry him anyway?

She ends up marrying Willie instead.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Iron Crowned posted:

I've learned to never watch the videos posted in this thread unless it looks hand drawn.

I mean, I always know they're going to be unfunny, I just never know HOW unfunny and I'm always morbidly curious

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hahahha dang. Hope the Big Book of British smiles survived the censor’s scissors.

When I first saw Itchy and Scratchy Land I thought it was darker than it really was, as when Marge orders the baby guts and Lisa says “that’s veal,” I heard “that’s real.”

It did, miraculously. Lots of people are really sensitive about making fun of the inbreds, especially Diana for some completely unknown reason. Some of the papers got really pissed off about that episode of South Park where the queen shoots herself in the head.

Also I misheard "veal" as "real" as a kid too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

She died in a tragic accident and wasn't completely awful, I guess.

And British tabloids will get outraged about anything so I don't know if that's a reference

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Quote-Unquote posted:

The weirdest bit of editing in the Simpsons in the UK is when Barney helps Homer escape work so they can go to the Duff brewery.

Barney yells "hey, is that Princess Di?" and pulls his car forward, causing Homer to plummet to the ground, then says "nah, it's just a pile of rags".

All of Barney's dialogue got cut after Princess Diana became a guardian angel for Our Maddie or whatever happened, so it looks like he just pulls his car forward for no reason.

After Diana, Sky also removed Ned crashing his car in the Bear Patrol episode, and Mr Burns yelling "paparazzo" in the Bobo episode. They didn't cut the bit with the photographer, they just silenced the word. There were probably more.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sky One skipped it but there was no official ban. BBC didn't give a poo poo and just showed it.

[The Cartridge Family] I'm pretty sure when Channel 4 showed it, it was cut to ribbons. I remember they edited the last scene so that it looks like Marge actually throws the gun in the bin.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

Also I misheard "veal" as "real" as a kid too.

I literally saw this episode again just two weeks back and still heard it this way. Odd that veal disgusts the waiter so much.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Channel 4 were bad for cutting poo poo out with no thought for how it affected the humour eg "Don't tell him you were at a bar. But what else is open at night?" and then just cut off the punchline. Take out the whole joke if you're going to censor it.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 13, 2018

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Either BBC or Channel 4 censored the McBain Woody Allen joke, so it cut right after "Now for my Woody Allen impression" so for a while I thought the joke was just that McBain attempting a Woody Allen impression would be funny.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of princess diana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9WrBE1exJY

Holy loving poo poo

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I'd censor that.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Holy loving poo poo

Cut to roll-eyes, hold the camera and drop all sound, right on cue. :suicide:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Holy loving poo poo

... yikes

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I'm so tired.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Holy loving poo poo

I'm imagining a misanthropic super villain in a bunker making a t-chart

pre:

Destroying the world with nuclear weapons and ending the human race

Pros:                    Cons:
----------------         --------------------------------
The quoted video         I was unable to get to it sooner

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
you know i was gonna say the newest episode with Moe and his mail order russian bride, which was so bad i couldn't look away, but then i saw princess diana, einstein, and tupac giving lisa advice and i'm gonna say that.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Holy loving poo poo

It's somehow retroactively ruining the show I used to like back in the 90s...

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Why is everyone reacting to that clip so strongly? It's probably the first one posted in ages that is actually a decentish joke, if overdeveloped

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Marge blowing up her hair with an air pump actually did make me chuckle, I'll be honest

e: wait, that was a different clip

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Hey, you know what: We're not in enough trouble with Apu. Let's take Ghandi and throw him in there right now, too.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Why is everyone reacting to that clip so strongly? It's probably the first one posted in ages that is actually a decentish joke, if overdeveloped

Because it's loving awful. You're dead wrong, bucko

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Last Chance posted:

Because it's loving awful. You're dead wrong, bucko

The joke is that it is supposed to be terrible. That being the case, it succeeded well beyond their wildest expectations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It probably would have been funnier if it were faster and the animation wasn't so stale.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah I got a smile out of marge blowing her hair up but everything else is suffering.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It probably would have been funnier if it were faster and the animation wasn't so stale.

it was already tired to make fun of rap music and beatboxing and breakdancing by the late 90's, and it hasn't gotten funnier twenty years later. it seems extremely wasteful to make that kind of joke using gandhi and princess diana etc. - like i can understand being soft with the humor because you don't want to offend, but i'm probably more offended by the show using their image to make a really tired joke, either go for the jugular or don't use their images at all.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

JediTalentAgent posted:

Hey, you know what: We're not in enough trouble with Apu. Let's take Ghandi and throw him in there right now, too.

How dare you besmirch the great name of Clone High

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Frog Act posted:

ah, I see: this is how I sounded when I defended the Lady Gaga episode. sorry. sorry, everyone

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Frog Act posted:

Wow that thing is kind of exemplary of what's wrong with most of modern Simpsons writing. At first, you think maybe it's mocking the idea of resurrecting celebrities for our amusement, maybe it's a rip on the soullessness of the tech industry. But then there's an attempt at shock humor that's not all that shocking and the slow, stilted delivery takes out any possible bite. The joke goes on way too long and overstays its welcome with lots of post-script and :thejoke:.

I guess one of the better parts of early Simpsons satire/parody is that it was never so specific. It wasn't always "Let's go to the Mapple store. Wow, it's Meve Mobs. Meve, will you sign my MyPod? Wow, Meve, why are you saying lines that are poorly-hidden criticisms of you, your business, and products? Well, back to Springfield characters doing Apple gags for a few minutes." Like here's the bit on standardized testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOLwDBcgSjs

The comedy is a mixed bag of character humor, jabs at the working world, education system, validity of standardized testing, and lots of other stuff. Can't imagine newer Simpsons pacing it well and not stopping for one character to deliver an "ironic" monologue on why testing is bad.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Quote-Unquote posted:

They’ve put that joke back in now. Last time the episode aired it was intact. Maybe nobody cares about Princess Di anymore (except for the middle aged women I used to work with).

That clip of ghandi dancing is awful. The animation is a mess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yes, the scene that made me tell my parents I wanted to be a systems analyst

Also CANT got a big guffaw from all of us. Something about the delivery is so great

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plan Z posted:

I guess one of the better parts of early Simpsons satire/parody is that it was never so specific. It wasn't always "Let's go to the Mapple store. Wow, it's Meve Mobs. Meve, will you sign my MyPod? Wow, Meve, why are you saying lines that are poorly-hidden criticisms of you, your business, and products? Well, back to Springfield characters doing Apple gags for a few minutes." Like here's the bit on standardized testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOLwDBcgSjs

The comedy is a mixed bag of character humor, jabs at the working world, education system, validity of standardized testing, and lots of other stuff. Can't imagine newer Simpsons pacing it well and not stopping for one character to deliver an "ironic" monologue on why testing is bad.

What's great about that clip is that it's a wonderful depiction of those kind of standardized tests. While at the time of airing, our parents may not have been familiar with those kinds of tests, we sure were. The biggest gripe I have is those scan-trons had 5 bubbles, but only 3 choices :argh:

I do remember having to take a similar standardized test in high school, everyone else got an 11x17 sheet of paper full of careers that they might be good at. Mine was entirely blank except for my name.

Lawyer Bird

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Our super duper middle school job compatibility estimation software deigned me fit to work as, in order:

1. Open sandwich caterer

2. Bank security personnel

3. Lighthouse keeper

You're really spoiling me for choices, here.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'd love to be a lighthouse keeper personally

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The one I took suggested I should be a pastor or other religious leader.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper and keep him company

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

snack eater posted:

I wanna marry a lighthouse keeper and keep him company

Thanks to this post I now know that this song isn't just from Frank but was an actual song.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Our school made us take a career test before deciding what we wanted to do for final year at school. There was one question asking if I liked working with computers and I said yes and it told me I should work with computers then. If I changed my response to say I didn't like working with computers it told me to be a life coach. My friend got wig maker.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

THE BAR posted:

Our super duper middle school job compatibility estimation software deigned me fit to work as, in order:

1. Open sandwich caterer

2. Bank security personnel

3. Lighthouse keeper

You're really spoiling me for choices, here.

And was this is in a small town in Arizona where they don't have banks or sandwich shops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Our school made us take a career test before deciding what we wanted to do for final year at school. There was one question asking if I liked working with computers and I said yes and it told me I should work with computers then. If I changed my response to say I didn't like working with computers it told me to be a life coach. My friend got wig maker.

I want to know what set of questions and answers leads to wig maker.