Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

HenryEx posted:

English

: "Can anybody provide me with a decent challenge?!"

Japanese

:geno: "I defeated an enemy officer"

They have some different ways of saying it that reflect their specific character tropes in Japanese, but they mostly just come out to the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Back when Sima Yi's voice was absolute poo poo, my friend did a great impression of his "It is difficult to fight such untrained savages"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A running gag between my friends and I came from WO3, I think, where some general would say that "he was ready for a serious scrap." We heard it enough in that game that a serious scrap is how we often describe dramatic fights in movies and TV. Thanks, Warriors Orochi.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Shinjobi posted:

A running gag between my friends and I came from WO3, I think, where some general would say that "he was ready for a serious scrap." We heard it enough in that game that a serious scrap is how we often describe dramatic fights in movies and TV. Thanks, Warriors Orochi.

Total destruction is the only way.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I like the Japanese voice actors laugh for Nobunaga

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sudden Javelin posted:

Back when Sima Yi's voice was absolute poo poo, my friend did a great impression of his "It is difficult to fight such untrained savages"

He's got a bit of a Snagglepuss thing going on in DW9.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
So, let's go and take an enemy base

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Think it's 4 or 5 where Zhang Fei's challenge is extremely chill. "So, I was just wondering - think you could defeat Zhang Fei? No biggie, just curious."

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

So, let's go and take an enemy base
My brother used to play the Empires games, and at the start of every battle he'd put everyone in defense mode, so there would be a solid minute or two of every allied officer saying, "I'm going to defend this base!"

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Let's go capture one of those unsightly bases.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I often quote the generic officer defeat from dynasty warriors “sometimes discretion is the better part of valor” and tell it to coworkers as advice.

Another great generic officer line, “you wanna fight?! The fight me!!!”

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maleketh posted:

Depends. It is absolutely a solid game with good level design and mechanics, but it's very short on content. Compared to WO3, its campaign is perhaps a bit shorter (half the length if you played Ultimate), and the secondary mode may as well not even be there.

I only played the normal edition. I didn't even know there was an ultimate version. So, do you guys actually think there'll be a special updated version that'll be released later? Because if so, I can just wait. I'm not really hurting for a new Dynasty Warriors game right this second.

Also, any wild out-there characters this time? I played the Gundam ones before this so Joan of Arc, Ryu, and Achilles were completely unexpected for me.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

There's always an updated version.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

RareAcumen posted:

Also, any wild out-there characters this time? I played the Gundam ones before this so Joan of Arc, Ryu, and Achilles were completely unexpected for me.

Nope. Ultimate added a few more characters (including Sophitia, Nina Williams, and some guy from the Atelier series), but with WO4 they apparently decided against using the crossover characters.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I think they said they were making another All-Stars and so they've removed other franchise characters from WO to so they are All-Stars characters, and WO is Samurai/Dynasty only.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I could see them maybe adding in the new characters from DW9 and Spirit of Sanada, but even that might be a longshot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve got an empires craving; between DW8 and SW4, is either of them significantly better than the other, or is it just a matter of taste?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Also, is All-Stars any good?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve got an empires craving; between DW8 and SW4, is either of them significantly better than the other, or is it just a matter of taste?

What do you play for? DW8 has the better story modes and general production values, SW4 has better gameplay and is more challenging in general.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PurplieNurplie posted:

It's really bad

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I really want to like All Stars, and it's probably okay for like 5 or 10 bucks, but maaan do its systems suck.

I do like how they managed to make characters work though, William in particular feels really fun to play.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

PurplieNurplie posted:

It's perfectly fine. Lot's of fun characters that aren't just DW or SW.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

What do you play for? DW8 has the better story modes and general production values, SW4 has better gameplay and is more challenging in general.

I was asking about the empires versions of each in particular; it’s hard to describe exactly what I’m looking for, but I guess I’m interested in scratching the itch if kingdom-running and map painting, in that order. I’m not sure if they’re each essentially the same game in different settings, or if there are substantial differences between them.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I'd go with SW4E. The way of life/title system in DW4E felt clunky and unintuitive to me, while the mechanics in SW4E generally felt good and didn't get in the way of the core battle gameplay. Mind you, it's been a while since I played either, but that's the impression I have today.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All-Stars problems are with the general structure, replaying the same missions over again to get different endings gets old quick, some bizarre gameplay decisions, such as all star mode not pausing anything when 99% of the missions are very strictly time sensitive, and the weird furry OCs do not steal.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

RareAcumen posted:

I only played the normal edition. I didn't even know there was an ultimate version. So, do you guys actually think there'll be a special updated version that'll be released later? Because if so, I can just wait. I'm not really hurting for a new Dynasty Warriors game right this second.

Haven't gotten around to playing WO4 yet, but I did recently play WO3 Ultimate for the first time. I'd only ever played the original and my friend had it, so I figured I'd play it in anticipation for the new one.

Four new chapters sounds like a lot until you realize the last two are pretty much just a handful of missions each. Still, it's got enough bells and whistles that it felt like a mini-sequel of sorts. Most of the guest characters are pretty fun to play, though there's a few new mythological characters in there too. Barely even touched anything outside of Story Mode, so can't say much about the other stuff like Gauntlet Mode.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

bentacos posted:

Let's go capture one of those unsightly bases.

Perfect timing. I was looking for an opportunity to test my new tactics.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was asking about the empires versions of each in particular; it’s hard to describe exactly what I’m looking for, but I guess I’m interested in scratching the itch if kingdom-running and map painting, in that order. I’m not sure if they’re each essentially the same game in different settings, or if there are substantial differences between them.

Ah, sorry; I'm not as familiar with the empires variants.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

In WO4 camp upgrades, there are upgrades that require lv 40 or higher in either power, technique or speed. What's not making sense is that I've actually got four speed based officers over 40, but the requirement is showing only 1 of 5. They've all sortied, they're not all just grown up out of training or growth points too. Not sure why three of them aren't counting toward the goal.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

5er posted:

In WO4 camp upgrades, there are upgrades that require lv 40 or higher in either power, technique or speed. What's not making sense is that I've actually got four speed based officers over 40, but the requirement is showing only 1 of 5. They've all sortied, they're not all just grown up out of training or growth points too. Not sure why three of them aren't counting toward the goal.

I'm not sure what the issue is. I don't think I ever saw the game have an issue tracking those numbers properly.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Maleketh posted:

I'm not sure what the issue is. I don't think I ever saw the game have an issue tracking those numbers properly.

As of this point I've got about 3 speed types over 40, and 3 speed types into their 50's, and the camp upgrade for 5 speed officers past 40 is still saying only 1 of 5. :shrug:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

5er posted:

As of this point I've got about 3 speed types over 40, and 3 speed types into their 50's, and the camp upgrade for 5 speed officers past 40 is still saying only 1 of 5. :shrug:

You playing on Steam or PS4? I'm on PS4, so if you're on Steam it might be a PC-only issue.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Maleketh posted:

You playing on Steam or PS4? I'm on PS4, so if you're on Steam it might be a PC-only issue.

PS4.

It's not making a hell of a lot of sense. Arbitrarily, I already had 5 tech officers over 40 for the respective upgrade... but only 3 actually tech identified officers over 40. I had 3 out of 5 str. officers, so I just paid using development points to put two other guys up to 40 for the upgrade that required it... and knocked it out. Best I can guess is that some speed officers don't actually count as speed and I'm going to be stuck inflating a bunch of rando shitheads I don't plan on using until I magically grow up the right 5.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Turns out it was my fault. I had the icons transposed for what 'technique' and 'speed' meant. My brain figured something moving really fast would have a bow shock, and good technique is all about good footing.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I wouldn’t mind having Lu Bu’s d3 move set back. Dude could kill everyone on Hu Lao gate just using his first charge attack. He doesn’t deserve his own theme on this game as he is a complete push over. The only slight challenge was enhanced Orochi X

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

All-Stars problems are with the general structure, replaying the same missions over again to get different endings gets old quick, some bizarre gameplay decisions, such as all star mode not pausing anything when 99% of the missions are very strictly time sensitive, and the weird furry OCs do not steal.

The rave mode is a cute gimmick but kinda useless, brave levels completely gently caress up balance within any given map, and the cards to power up characters are too much of a hassle. On the flip side a lot of the characters are genuinely fun to use and feel unique, and the assists and team ups are fun additions.

I honestly don't even know what they were trying to accomplish with the brave system. It takes an age to kill anything when it's low and things are barely speed bumps when it's high. It makes pacing really weird and the start of every map suck.

Also Naotora's invincibility special is the worst.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 23, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

chumbler posted:

Also Naotora's invincibility special is the worst.

Any time she shows up I die inside, it's so annoying

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's me, the Naotora liker

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I don't mind her otherwise, it's just when she's on the enemy team so often and then just sits there not dying for 30s after you drain her health it's a huge bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is spirit of sanada like SW4.5 or more like an expansion to 4 or something else entirely?

Are we ever getting another sengoku basara in english? that was the best warriors game

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 23, 2018