Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I like how you can't have your ship fly itself to you in a different location despite that being less impressive than the technology that we currently have in cars right now

and self-driving cars having to contend with navigating around more than like one other thing in a milliion-mile radius. but hey at least the spaceships all have an F-35 interface (so once you're actually doing anything it can be through EvE popup windows)

The White Dragon posted:

god what kind of ugly generic rear end sci fi poo poo is this

that will be my contribution to humanity. any spacefaring science fiction setting i make will have the internal corridors of spaceships look bright, inviting, and terrestrial because in the future you'll use holography and 3d printing to make your ugly rear end sterile ship look like a venezzian mainstreet.

and then when we actually become spacers in a few generations, we'll do that

Echo was amazing

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

mods changed my name posted:

Fwiw I believe whatever dude posted about banning anything running other than the game also suggested that Chris Roberts could also create a universal translator

before croberts enthusiastically praised this idea and agreed to put it in the game, did he indicate what it might be translating

does he just mean like Spanish and english lol

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

before croberts enthusiastically praised this idea and agreed to put it in the game, did he indicate what it might be translating

does he just mean like Spanish and english lol

He probably meant "translate whatever I say in a real language into one (or was it several) invented languages in game".

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
It was something like using Google translate and I guess like Microsoft Sam and when you speak whatever language (in real life, into your microphone) it would spit it out into whatever language the other players would want to hear.

Real time VoIP translation of language. A universal translator, so that all the Star citizens of Earth can come together as one.

Edit: one of the regular star citizen posters might remember, I think it was the really depressed dude with the seal avatar.

Edit I'll never find it again lol, but it was just the most insane thing I remember reading and I is always the first thing I think of when it comes to insane requests of Chris Roberts

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 14, 2018

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It was something like using Google translate and I guess like Microsoft Sam and when you speak whatever language (in real life, into your microphone) it would spit it out into whatever language the other players would want to hear.

Real time VoIP translation of language. A universal translator, so that all the Star citizens of Earth can come together as one.

Edit: one of the regular star citizen posters might remember, I think it was the really depressed dude with the seal avatar.

Edit I'll never find it again lol, but it was just the most insane thing I remember reading and I is always the first thing I think of when it comes to insane requests of Chris Roberts

Imagine Microsoft Sam explaining to the space police that you are transporting naked child corpses and that's not against the space law

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

wow I just realized how emotionally invested in this game the 4 and 5 figure donors must be lmao

hahahah man theres gonna be some dark times ahead

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Clifford aka Miku can weather the storm

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Statutory Ape posted:

banning a VoIP program would be so pointless

*pushes discord button on phone*

BREAKIN THE LAW, BREAKIN THE LAW

Then cig can distribute their own branded cell signal/wifi jammer that is required to be active while sc is running.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I told him that making the buttplug out of acrylic is no problem but in order to get enough interior space for the live goldfish to go in there he is either going to end up with an acrylic thickness that almost certainly isn’t safe or he’s going to end up with 10 cases of Chinese buttplugs that are only marketable to people with size 11 assholes.

But whatever, it’s his problem now.

e: sorry, wrong thread

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
That’s in the game, too.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah the insane thing about Star Citizen is how often Croberts promises poo poo that would be a technological breakthrough on it's own (real time VOIP translator) but it's literally every feature of the game. Making a flawless VOIP translator would take the combined effort of some really bright people from a range of disciplines but we're supposed to believe some game devs are going to do this poo poo? Yeah right. The ones that exist now are pretty barebones and there's an obvious delay as the software waits for the speaker to finish their sentence.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 15, 2018

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

bird with big dick posted:

I told him that making the buttplug out of acrylic is no problem but in order to get enough interior space for the live goldfish to go in there he is either going to end up with an acrylic thickness that almost certainly isn’t safe or he’s going to end up with 10 cases of Chinese buttplugs that are only marketable to people with size 11 assholes.

64 bit positioning will fix this.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't he say there would be multiple fully-realized alien languages in the game?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

where's the right thread?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Haven't a few other games done the "we hired a linguist" thing before?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh god, this was from 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rutibex posted:

EVE online has the same spaceship storage conceit in the lore, but it doesn't make you wait for it because: why would you?
The moment the first combat flight model dropped, I realized immediately that Chris Roberts is more interested in making things real than he is in making them fun.

It is not fun passing out in your cockpit by turning. It is not fun only landing one out of a hundred shots because it's more realistic.

This compounded with every update and culminated with me waiting in line to buy a gun, because the store was crowded and I realized that this game was not going to be the Privateer, but new game I wanted and I went and played Elite Dangerous instead.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lmao hahhah can somebody pls ask the devs how those languages theyre creating for the game are coming along lmfao christ

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Looks like they'll hit 200 mil in a couple days.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
40k views for the last game that you'll ever need

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

the fourth xi'anpire

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

so... chinese then

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lol yeah they put some apostrophes in chinese words wow great game.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Space Chinese.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Chabuduo languages.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
There are multitude of languages that are dying or already dead and funding their preservation efforts would be legit cool thing to do, even if it's only so that you can take that work and call it Space Klingon.
That's not what they did of course but that would be something you could do if you want unknown but working language for your game and have idiots giving you money.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

uuh it's not like you put $500 in the Dead Language Machine and get an idiomatic grasp of some obscure Pacific Islander dialect that's meaningfully different than just jamming syllables together and calling it a day.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Have we seen these alien races yet? Are they cat people, lizard people, and bug people? I'm pretty confident here.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Croberts is enough of a liar that he'd advertise hiring a linguist while actually just getting an intern to write all that stuff. On the other hand, he's also dumb enough to hand a bunch of money to a linguist for his game.

I'm just imagining some linguist taking this guy for a ride. Like they're getting their monthly consultation fee even though they're just adding apostrophes to words from a chinese dictionary because they have a paper to publish.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 15, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I think the one I remember seeing, called vandals or something, were even more boring than whatever you're possibly imagining

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Uh no actually they are lizard people, Groots, and Turians, pleb :smug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Statutory Ape posted:

wow I just realized how emotionally invested in this game the 4 and 5 figure donors must be lmao

hahahah man theres gonna be some dark times ahead

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I think the one I remember seeing, called vandals or something, were even more boring than whatever you're possibly imagining

Vanduuls.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Trap sprung shitizen

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Statutory Ape posted:

lmao hahhah can somebody pls ask the devs how those languages theyre creating for the game are coming along lmfao christ

Weirdly, this is one of the few big stretch goals they HAVE actually done!

Mainly because there are a lot of reasonably competent con-lang guys out there desperately looking for paid work, and cobbling together a basic grammar and vocabulary for a made up language or two can be done more or less in a vacuum by one dude if you throw a year or so's salary at them and give them a basic briefing on the "lore". You don't need a functioning game to make up a language, it's like concept art that an independent worker can do totally separately.

It's completely cosmetic, frivolous and meaningless in terms of improving the play experience, and of course it's not in the game, because there are no interactable speaking aliens in whatever passes for a "game" right now, but it has been "done", probably just to shut people up and give the illusion of progress.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raged posted:

Trap sprung shitizen

I will torture you with the worst kind of electricity.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I was told that the citcon demos about flying to cities were 'faked' and that none of this was ever going to happen. So how are youtubers flying around in their 'jpegs' and landing in forests and cities and poo poo? Checkmate atheists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mukip posted:

I was told that the citcon demos about flying to cities were 'faked' and that none of this was ever going to happen. So how are youtubers flying around in their 'jpegs' and landing in forests and cities and poo poo? Checkmate atheists.

Time to pledge for a ship imo