Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Help Im Alive posted:

Why doesn't someone invent a device that lets you play video games in your sleep

freddy krueger doesn't have the tech know how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

Why doesn't someone invent a device that lets you play video games in your sleep

A lot of my dreams, even when not lucid, follow video game rules or plot. I recall one I had that was lucid, seemed to last several days, and was basically a cross between Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill. Man that dream was amazing, 10/10 DOTY

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wow, ok so after a couple of levels in Ninja Gaiden of all your standard old-age Japanese flair I'm suddenly fighting in an airship against the cops and also there's a big fat guy there in mecharmour. This is not the game I was expecting it to be!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Samuringa posted:

Jesus Christ it was almost 40 C today, screw losing weight I'm having a white chocolate milkshake for dinner

3°C here, pretty much just how I like it. Autumn's the best time of year.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s been a grip but the running dash and slash on the ground will carve fatty into ham pretty quick

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
^^^Flying swallow was my go-to against most of the bosses. It was so strong that IIRC they nerfed its effectiveness in re-releases.

Rarity posted:

Wow, ok so after a couple of levels in Ninja Gaiden of all your standard old-age Japanese flair I'm suddenly fighting in an airship against the cops and also there's a big fat guy there in mecharmour. This is not the game I was expecting it to be!

It's not. It's way, way better.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
they didn't have milkshakes

I'm having ice cream for dinner

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why isn’t Tyranny more popular? It’s real good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

it's fairly unfinished but yea it rules a lot

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

I never get invited to these :mad:

I used to play a bunch of games with goons where we'd just chat about whatever but none of them are around anymore

I'm not sure we're friends on PSN. We're playing a lot of bloops but EDF5 comes out soon. My PSN nick is the same as here.

Cowcaster posted:

after 32 years on this planet most of which has been spent having to get up early for school/work/et. al. i only just discovered this year one weird trick for waking up (dentists hate it!): set your alarm half an hour earlier and when it goes off turn on every light in your bedroom. half an hour of soaking in the light gets my brain firing enough that i actually can roll out of bed at the appropriate time instead of just 5 more minutes syndrome

This is a good idea and I'm going to try it. We have Hue lights so I could even connect the alarm to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Grognards didn't like the combat. I rate it higher than PoE personally, though they're honestly quite different.

It's definitely way better than Torment 2 and has a lot more reactivity and choice

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I really liked Tyranny but I think I'd be pissed if I paid full price for it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played Tyranny during the free weekend, spent about 2 hours in the character/history creator, and decided that every RPG with an overly long prologue should let me act it out in CYOA fashion.

Also for real every RPG should have an in-game wiki lookup for all their proper nouns. Years of RPGs later all the made up words have run together so don't ask me what game had fonons or Hermes Trismegistus systems whatever

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Sup goons. I'm trying to decide between two games and I'd appreciate some input. Forza Horizon 4 or Black Ops 4. Yep, I'm aware that these two games couldn't be more different, but there is one common element between them, which is that my $60 is only going to one of them.

I love both racers and shooters, so I'm actually more interested in meta stuff like which title is more polished and is of generally higher quality, how much content there is in each game, what the progress systems feel like, which one is the best example of what it's trying to be... stuff like that.

Any ideas?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PantsBandit posted:

^^^Flying swallow was my go-to against most of the bosses. It was so strong that IIRC they nerfed its effectiveness in re-releases.

It's not. It's way, way better.

And replaced it with intercept, which was also so strong they nerfed it in further re-releases

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

intercept wasn't added so much in a re-release as much as part of the first dlc pack, and wasn't so much nerfed as literally removed in all re-releases because it was so broken

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

Same reason Pilllars of Eternity 2 sold so bad that Obsidian got bought by Microsoft despite it being a fantastic game, the world is cruel and unfair. :v:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I find Tyranny intriguing, but after PoE just didn't click for me whatsoever I'm waiting to see it on deep discount before picking it up.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

GreatGreen posted:

Sup goons. I'm trying to decide between two games and I'd appreciate some input. Forza Horizon 4 or Black Ops 4. Yep, I'm aware that these two games couldn't be more different, but there is one common element between them, which is that my $60 is only going to one of them.

I love both racers and shooters, so I'm actually more interested in meta stuff like which title is more polished and is of generally higher quality, how much content there is in each game, what the progress systems feel like, which one is the best example of what it's trying to be... stuff like that.

Any ideas?

If you like COD, Blops4 is the best one in a while and has a battle royale mode that is popular. No real single player other than some challenge and character intro stuff though. Forza Horizon 4 has no problems that I know of. It's just more Forza Horizon for people who are fans of the series.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Moon Monster posted:

I find Tyranny intriguing, but after PoE just didn't click for me whatsoever I'm waiting to see it on deep discount before picking it up.

I have learned from trying to play through PoE multiple times that I just prefer the turn-based combat of D:OS for my retro CRPG's to the Infinity Engine-style pause-and-click. The D:OS series also just has a more focused combat system overall and a little more comedic relief compared to the more grim PoE.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Accordion Man posted:

Same reason Pilllars of Eternity 2 sold so bad that Obsidian got bought by Microsoft despite it being a fantastic game, the world is cruel and unfair. :v:

Obsidian has been pretty poo poo at marketing themselves. I would hope they fair a little better with that under Microsoft. I didn't see anything about POE 2 until it was out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sleep is good but tbh if I could somehow do something to permanently get rid of my ability to dream, I'd take it because god drat, no amount of good dream is worth the nightmares and night terrors.

I already know my attempts to go lucid have fallen through so there's no luck there. My attempts at lucid dreaming either end in me waking up once I realize it is a dream or me being convinced it is a dream but the dream doesn't care and doesn't let me have lucidity or it tricks me into thinking I'm not dreaming by acting realistic for just long enough to evade any of the standard lucidity checks.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

How does it know when you're REMing?

It bases it off average REM cycle times which is closer to 40 minutes than an hour. Extremely good for power naps, ime it prevents the grogginess of setting like an hour.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Try a Fitbit. They can do sleep tracking for REM, deep, light, and awake periods in the whole night. Been a big help for me to regulate habits.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I use Sleepyti.me for figuring out when I should wake up if I want to go to bed at a certain time. The REM cycle grogginess thing definitely isn't pseudoscience (for those skeptics out there), it really does work like that. It takes me waaaay longer to fall asleep than the site suggest but in general it's helpful for scheduling how long I have till I need to go to bed to get good quality sleep.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Spirit temple in Master Quest is so drat rewarding. Whew! What a fantastic dungeon.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Three hours before seeing the Assassin's Creed Odyssey title card. I wonder what game has the latest title title card (not counting the main menu)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Three hours before seeing the Assassin's Creed Odyssey title card. I wonder what game has the latest title title card (not counting the main menu)

Nier Automata

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MGS3 doesn't show you the title card until the theme song video after the entire Virtuous Mission is over iirc, and that's an hour and a half or so if you spend time talking to people on the radio.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Black August posted:

Try a Fitbit. They can do sleep tracking for REM, deep, light, and awake periods in the whole night. Been a big help for me to regulate habits.

They also sell your personal data, probably.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

chumbler posted:

They also sell your personal data, probably.

Yeah. I'm not cool with that and turned off as many options as I could. But right now, getting healthy sleep so I don't die when I'm 40 is more important for the short term use.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How do I sell my own data? I want to get in on this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Insomnia is a legit thing but also sometimes if it's taking you forever to fall asleep, it means you're just not ready to sleep yet and you might as well get up and do something

But also OTC sleeping pills really do work, in my experience 2 of those things (or a couple Tylenol PM) will knock one right the eff out

Edit: melatonin is bad and VERY bad if you take it nightly

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Top 3 2018:

1: God of War because it manages to improve in every way possible upon what I consider to already be a great series

2: Spiderman because web slinging is incredible and the combat is finally good

3: Celeste because it's a loving baller 2D platformer that came out of nowhere

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
God of War and Celeste are both strong arguments that there is such a thing as a perfect game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My GOTY is probably Hitman 2 and ive only played t for 80 minutes

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Edit: melatonin is bad and VERY bad if you take it nightly

why?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

For me, it gives me nightmares like crazy, but it's pretty well documented that taking it every night screws up your natural brain chemistry

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bloodborne wins GOTY for the third consecutive year in a row, but God of War is the best game that came out in 2018 in my opinion. I loved every minute of that video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I tried melatonin once and it worked, but it left me feeling basically hung over the next morning so I haven't tried it again.

• Locked thread