Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pelosi is fine actually. Tim Ryan leads nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

it's also that 95% of people have no idea who he is, but if he's officially in republican leadership that will be a good way to explain to people who he is

This exactly, if he's in the spotlight more more stuff will come out, and he isn't Trump where he can ignore it, having someone that knew about sexual assault and misconduct and knowingly ingored it as the majority or speaker would be horrible for your image and he would have people prepped to stab him in the back endlessly with new statements that discredit him.

Or as explained he would be perfect as the gop speaker of the house because it's already like that :v:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Remind me again why Gillibrand isn't Senate leader? :psyduck:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

eke out posted:

i feel like you're actively not reading those of us saying it's a pretty good bill for sentencing reform

it could obviously be better, but it's a start

i mean, i quoted the Brennan Center there who supports it and they are the farthest thing from a right wing group. and being able to get your sentence reduced to what you would've gotten if crack and cocaine were treated equally is extremely important
I think that it's a more a case where there's massive bipartisan public support to fix parts of our criminal justice system (Democrats because it's unjust and stupid and doesn't work, Republicans because it's *expensive* and stupid and doesn't work), and a few hard-core old-school conservatives including Jeff Sessions were opposed to it, but now that he's gone, Trump is happy to support something he's heard is popular.

Tl;dr it's not really a Trump bill, it's a real rarity - a good bill that even Republicans support.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

truly a who's who of "who?"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thats quite a few blue dogs. ryan is gunning for the thrown again, i guess.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

There are reportedly another 9 Democrats who wont vote for Pelosi, but are too scared to sign a letter.

Pelosi's plan B might be to convince her opponents and maybe some Republicans to vote "present" to lower her threshold of victory, but the no votes in the letter have sworn they wont do that because any speaker "elected" with a "majority" that is less than 218 would be a very weak speaker, always under threat of being removed if she doesn't do what the "present" voters want.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tatsuta Age posted:

truly a who's who of "who?"

A bunch of those people were just elected this year.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

moulton is my rep. he appeared in the iraq war documentary "no end in sight".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tim Ryan leads the NPR caucus in that only NPR gives a gently caress they exist.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Nonsense posted:

Pelosi is fine actually. Tim Ryan leads nobody.

He doesn't need a candidate. Once it becomes clear that Pelosi can't win on the floor, then we'll have a knife fight among the whole caucus for the speaker's gavel.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pookel posted:

I think that it's a more a case where there's massive bipartisan public support to fix parts of our criminal justice system (Democrats because it's unjust and stupid and doesn't work, Republicans because it's *expensive* and stupid and doesn't work), and a few hard-core old-school conservatives including Jeff Sessions were opposed to it, but now that he's gone, Trump is happy to support something he's heard is popular.

Tl;dr it's not really a Trump bill, it's a real rarity - a good bill that even Republicans support.

well, thats good at least. hope it passes then.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lightning Knight posted:

Remind me again why Gillibrand isn't Senate leader? :psyduck:

Seniority, she has only been around since 09

The real question is why isn't Ron Wyden, he has seniority over Schumer and is actually decent

Though the real answer is that Harry Reid picked Schumer

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The judge said he's not sure how he'll rule, and will think about it.

https://twitter.com/ErikWemple/status/1062836167022952448

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

moulton is my rep. he appeared in the iraq war documentary "no end in sight".

Was he pro iraq war in that documentary? Is he a dem to the right of pelosi?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Glumslinger posted:

Though the real answer is that Harry Reid picked Schumer

Harry Reid, you dick. :argh:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Arguably, most of the Dems that are to the left of Pelosi got voted in this election cycle.

Not all, but a large amount.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

He's a member of the 'New Democrats', effectively marking him as a member of the party's right.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

haveblue posted:

Antiantifa

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/14/poli...&utm_term=image

new trump is mad as gently caress and looking like poo poo article.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

suing to halt the vote count...when you're behind

interesting tactic, let's see how it'll work out for her

How exact do signatures need to match what is on file? It seems kinda nuts to me that a ballot can be discarded based on potential minor discrepancies in a signature.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just gets better and better.
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1062835878907785216

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

pookel posted:

There isn't even remotely bipartisan support, Democrats like the free slave labour and Republicans like how easy it is to lock up minorities

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

How exact do signatures need to match what is on file? It seems kinda nuts to me that a ballot can be discarded based on potential minor discrepancies in a signature.

That's the point, and yeah it's nuts.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Feldegast42 posted:

If somehow Trump and Pence get removed from office we find a new way to shoot themselves in the foot by then elevating Chuck "fuckin" Grassley to be the leader of the free world

lol @ thinking the US president is the "leader of the free world"

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

gently caress Chuck Schumer. Pelosi justifiably should be called out when she gets too far out of line and I'd be happy with a further left replacement!

That said, the fact that there's this huge debate over Pelosi but Schumer apparently got a free pass from the party and even the left seems more interested in bagging on Pelosi than Schumer is ridiculous.

This Facebook stuff needs to get spread and I hope people protest his office.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Speaking of Facebook

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1062817439476523011

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

exploded mummy posted:

the only thing close to this is that they put in some fast track or special consideration if you get 290 sponsors on a bill or for an amendment if you can get 20 Democrats and 20 Republicans to sign off on it

Nice, so when round 2 of cutting out Wall Street regulations comes around they won't have to fight the democratic base about it

Man, the 8 days of having a democratic majority in the House were pretty sweet

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mince Pieface posted:

gently caress Chuck Schumer. Pelosi justifiably should be called out when she gets too far out of line and I'd be happy with a further left replacement!

That said, the fact that there's this huge debate over Pelosi but Schumer apparently got a free pass from the party and even the left seems more interested in bagging on Pelosi than Schumer is ridiculous.

the only reason the left is calling pelosi poo poo right now is because everyone's trying to defend her experience or whatever as she's actively trying to assist republicans

Schumer never got a free pass, p. much everyone on the left hates him

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he was a marine who served there so acts as a talking head for how it was hosed up.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1062839169586749440

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mince Pieface posted:

Pelosi is getting the attention because she is going to (possibly) have the power. Senate minority leader is a position of relatively little consequence.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mince Pieface posted:

Yinlock posted:

the only reason the left is calling pelosi poo poo right now is because everyone's trying to defend her experience or whatever as she's actively trying to assist republicans

Schumer never got a free pass, p. much everyone on the left hates him

this

schumer has more or less no redeeming qualities and i wish he'd go away

haveblue posted:

Pelosi is getting the attention because she is going to (possibly) have the power. Senate minority leader is a position of relatively little consequence.

this too i guess

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mince Pieface posted:

yeah, like all schumer does is kiss corperate rear end and scream about decorum while he sells everyone out so he gets to shake mitch the turtles hand.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Groovelord Neato posted:

he was a marine who served there so acts as a talking head for how it was hosed up.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1062839169586749440

I know what's leading off Hannity tonight...

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

haveblue posted:

I suppose that's fair, although Schumer's role in the kavanaugh stuff seemed to lend him at least some perceived voice for Democrats which is pretty bad imo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

haveblue posted:

good point, but she has done good in the past, yeah if we can get a hard noses progressive to replace her, gently caress yeah, but i'll take her any day over chuck schumer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also Schumer was just re-elected by acclamation (meaning a unanimous or near-unanimous voice vote) so there's neither the opportunity nor apparently the will to stir his poo poo up now.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

So they aren’t just complicit in the sense that they allow their platform to perpetuate this poo poo, they’re actively involved.

Cool. Good decision to delete Facebook a year ago, me.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

haveblue posted:

while Schumer can't outright stop the republicans there are a lot of things he can do to seriously hinder them, things he regularly trades away in exchange for vague promises of nothing from mitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, like all schumer does is kiss corperate rear end and scream about decorum while he sells everyone out so he gets to shake mitch the turtles hand.

Schumer is :decorum: personified. It's disturbingly telling he always gets a free pass while Pelosi gets vilified.